1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Beginner's Guide to Black Desert Lore & FAQ

Discussion in 'RP' started by Nasche, May 19, 2018.

1. Nasche

Thank you, [​IMG] Lloyde, for proofreading and suggestions!​

Introduction:

[​IMG]

It may not look like much at first glance, but the world of Black Desert is as deep and vast as it is daunting. Promise.

Between the game's unintuitive UI, numerous mechanics, numerous hidden mechanics, thousands of side-quests, and the universe's mysterious and extremely messy trial-and-error story presentation, there is a lot of information to digest, especially when you're just breaking into the roleplay scene or simply trying to figure out what the actual hell is going on here.

If you're an overwhelmed newbie, don't fret. It's not uncommon―for even veteran players―to gloss over details if not miss them entirely or progress through the game with the feeling that... there's not much to Black Desert at all. I know my first impression of the setting was something like disappointment. The world seemed as (un)inspiring as a shoddy fantasy recreation of the Holy Crusades against the Middle East with an evil red-eyed blob spirit leading the Protagonist around by the nose. Except, instead of fighting for Jerusalem (insert the overkilled Deus Vult meme here), people fought for Black Stones. And not-Jesus. Or whatever.

The almost (almost!!) irrelevant opening cinematic did not help with this. Not one bit. Same goes for the gender-locked classes. Blah.

But maybe you like the game and/or the setting with all of the imperfections, anyway. It is very pretty with its lived-in Open World and charming Quality-of-Life functions. Maybe you've heard good things about the universe. The game is home to a solid, flourishing community of creative writers. Or maybe your only interest is to understand why people like the lore so much... when finding any consistent, concrete material is arguably more difficult than pulling teeth.

What is Roleplay?

[​IMG]

To roleplay is to adopt the role of another person or character, often in a setting of the player's own design or that of another, and interact through that persona with other characters and the world around them. While there are as many different styles, methods, materials, and foci as there are reasons that people may engage in roleplay for themselves, it is ultimately a joint, social pursuit for storytelling and entertainment.

In an MMORPG like Black Desert, roleplay often occurs in the form of text or writing: immediately improvised script that depicts a character's actions, dialogue, and mannerisms. Some partake in light-hearted themes, much like tabletop games. Others explore the darker twists of the human condition and psyche. And still, there are others who dabble in both! Fantastical beasts and Cthulhu won't judge you.

The term "roleplay" has unfortunately transformed in modern internet culture to often denote the misconception that roleplayers are supposedly a non-confrontational or salacious people. (Some enjoy erotic-roleplay when in-character relationships become intimate. For those who do, please keep it private.)

However, the immediate desire, long-term process, and end goal for many roleplayers—with a healthy amount of distinct separation between the role and the player—is for expression, artistic creation, and reflection.

[​IMG] Davorr —BDRP Discord Mod : "RP is a collaboration between other writers and players! It's important to remember that most individuals base their characters and each character's aspects off of the established lore of the game universe to give their aspects a genuine feeling and, also, validity."

[​IMG] Maevynn —Lore Enthusiast, BDRP Lore Keeper : "I do agree [that] a person's character is more important than their ability to recite the lore word-for-word and get all the facts right. Everyone makes mistakes and no one knows everything about a topic. So long as someone has enough common ground with me, then we can make stories with eachother on the fly, and I find that much less restrictive than having to sit back OOC and worldbuild or inform each other about our personal canons before we can continue."

Setting a Different Tone

[​IMG]

The hard truth is that nothing consistent or concrete exists yet outside of recorded Knowledge entries (@BDOcodex.com). Everything is so scattered and serialized that it has taken years since KR and NA/EU release for lore enthusiasts to puzzle out the universe―accounting for some official retcons and translation errors along the way―and we still may not be 100% correct. For BDRP's community, we're lucky and grateful to have an active #lore-chat channel on the site's Discord server, half-a-dozen Lore Keepers, and an involved member base to consolidate, discuss, and analyze information on top of answering player questions.

As a result, #lore-chat gets a ton of traffic from both new and veteran folks alike. There's never a dull moment. The downside is that, due to the nature of instant-messaging platforms, every conversation eventually washes away in the ebb and flow—and not everyone is part of the BDRP site. Hence, the development for an F.A.Q.

What we do know is that Black Desert's universe revolves around the traditional spirit of the fantasy genre. Throughout its vast landscape, its various peoples, and numerous creatures, we can observe the never-ending struggle for balance and purpose between order, chaos, dark, light, and those who find themselves in the penumbra.

[​IMG] Maevynn —Lore Enthusiast, BDRP Lore Keeper : "We have to understand [that] this is a very new IP (it was rewritten between their alpha and open beta, so arguably it's only been a couple years) and it isn't going to have extremely expansive lore like other series that have been continually written for almost a decade or more. (Dragon Age, TES, Star Wars, WoW, etc.)... The stuff is there, and the translations can be sloppy, but we can still glean the meaning almost every time! There is a ton of knowledge to sift through on topics and even those of us who do lore digging are continually finding new things all the time. We're even working to put together a lore wiki to help people out!

Tip 1: Keep your expectations open.

[​IMG]

Black Desert is an amalgamation that draws from real-world and fantasy themes without leaning too heavily on any particular one. Much of it is fleshed-out, but just as much drops off into ambiguity or a dead-end. You will and will not find points that cross over with other settings—like D&D, Forgotten Realms, Warhammer, WoW, and so on—because Black Desert revolves around mysticism, spiritualism, and both the quantitative as well as the qualitative aspects of the natural world and human imagination. It's frustrating, yes. However! Blurry lines aren't always a bad thing.

So, as hard as it is, try to keep in mind that you will benefit most from leaving behind every other setting you have come to know. If you must carry over, focus not on the content but on the essence of what is familiar.

[​IMG] Nerinne —Veteran Player : "Time travel/dimension hopping, steampunk roadrunners and bulls, warfare, religious tensions, high-fantasy and politically geared Elves, and half-pint snarky [child-like creatures] called Shai all exist along the same lines as a very technologically feudal era. While the lore in this game is a wee tricky to find sometimes, it is entricing and very forgiving with amazing and interesting concepts for players to use.

"If there is a thing you do not like? Go somewhere else- every city in the game and their RPers within it are different. The feel is different.

"It's really cool tbh."

Tip 2: Approach from a humanities, anthropological, and academic standpoint.

[​IMG]

History expresses its depth through evidence, perspective, implication, conjecture, and extrapolation. As with the real world, Black Desert is home to many cultural, sociopolitical, religious, and economic spheres—all of which make for a varied, nuanced, and rich setting of contention and bias. People from one region may have a concept of the world's creation that is completely different from that of another. Alternatively, there are universal ideas, perhaps hints of a collective unconscious or a common origin point, among numerous parallels and intersections and lost information of civilizations past...

There are plenty of concrete fragments about the setting, its races, etc. But to really know Black Desert at its heart, you will need to take every detail, every piece of evidence that supports one idea or another, with a grain of salt.

(Yes, it does sound absurd—to need an academic standpoint for a video game—but it is both true and encouraged, given the nature of the setting.)

[​IMG] Kahlu —RP Veteran, BD Newbie : "THE GAME REQUIRES ME TO GO ON A KILLING SPREE KILLING POOR PEOPLE? WOW THIS IS DARK."

Tip 3: Patience.

[​IMG]

You will never run out of reading material if you look hard enough—especially in the realm of extrapolation. You will encounter pitfalls. You will have ideas that turn out to be inaccurate or incompatible with every other wedge of the jigsaw. Even the writers and game developers can, have, and will continue to screw things up. It's all part of the process.

This is a new franchise that has seen unpredictable, shocking success. Presentation is disheveled, but there is something there—something special—that plenty of us still believe in, real-world business ethics and monetization aside.

[​IMG] Merzelle —BDRP Discord Mod : "Everything is subject to change or deletion with each subsequent patch. Also, the new voices will continuously haunt your soul. —P.S. magic is not illegal."

[​IMG] Whitrix —Wikia Admin, Lore Enthusiast, BDRP Discord Lore Keeper : "Never trust Black Desert Lore."

Tip 4: Participate! Ask questions!

[​IMG]

It is imperative for every community to foster an active, inquisitive, and creative environment with a user base whose members are determined to encourage and contribute to one another. Through this, we develop a collective identity and a vast story that possesses significant weight, continuity, and common enjoyment.

With particular respect to roleplay within and the lore of Black Desert, questions beget answers; answers beget more questions. We are always searching for strong evidence to support findings and theories. Whether you are lost or seeking clarification, you are always welcome to ask for help, guidance, and discussion. Who knows? Maybe you've even found something new or unnoticed for all this time.

If there is a question that you have seen frequently asked or that you feel may be important for entry-level Black Desert lore enthusiasts and/or roleplayers to have an answer to, post a comment! Send a PM! Start a discussion of your own!

[​IMG] Ivelise / Tamair —Veteran Player : "I think we need to do a better job of ensuring that newcomers know that lore abiding roleplay is okay. The reason I say this is because I have been at events where people are just unsure of whether or not it is fine to do something out of the norm and receive backlash for it because of needing to look so hard for lore."

Joungf, MaIefic, Whitrix and 2 others like this.
  2. Nasche

Huge thanks to [​IMG] Whitrix , [​IMG] Maevynn , [​IMG] MeldamirieI , [​IMG] Nerinne , and [​IMG] Aodh Flamben for helping with content, discussion, and sourcing!

Frequently Asked Questions

STATUS

Incomplete [5/66]: 17.2, 19, 19-ii, 19-iv, 19-v
    In Progress [24/66]: 16-i.c, 16-v, 16-vi, 19-i, 19-iii, 19-vi, 20, 21, 21-i to 21-xvi, 30
    Completed [37/66]: 1 to 16, 16-i, 16-i.a, 16-i.b, 16-i.d, 16-ii, 16-iii, 16-iv, 17, 18, 22 to 25, 25-i, 25-ii, 25-iii, 26, 27, 28, 29

As you can see, this is a very, very long work in progress. If you'd like to contribute, please post in the thread or visit #lore-chat in the BDRP Discord Server. Otherwise, PM me here on Enjin, or DM me on Discord (Nasche#9599)! Especially if you spot incorrect information, grammatical errors, typos, etc.

Don't be shy about providing more information on any section, regardless of the status (Completed, In Progress, or Incomplete)—or ask a question of your own to add to the FAQ!

Additionally, please include sources either in your writing or as a separate hyperlink, and be sure to separate canon information from conjecture!

Please use the CTRL+F search function to navigate via web. Sorry, mobile-users.
    Note that images may take a while to load.

CONTENTS

Q-1: What is the main story of Black Desert?
    Q-2: What exactly is the Black Spirit?
    Q-3: What are Black Stones?
    Q-4: Who are/were the Ancients?
    Q-5: What races are there?
    Q-6: Demibeast? Demihuman? Which is which?
    Q-7: Are there different languages?
    Q-8: Are there different types of Elves?
    Q-9: Are Vedir akin to Dark Elves? Are there any Dark Elves or Drow in Black Desert?
    Q-10: Are there Half-Elves?
    Q-11: Are there Half-Giants? Half-Dwarves? Half-Orcs?
    Q-12: I've only seen female Elves! Why are there no male Elves?! PA is so lazy!
    Q-13: Where does each race come from?
    Q-14: What is the name of the world? The continent?
    Q-15: What are the different regions?
    Q-16: What are each of these regions and their societies like?
    16-i: The Republic of Calpheon
    16-i.a: Balenos
    16-i.b: Serendia
    16-i.c: Calpheon
    16-i.d: Keplan​
    16-ii: The Republic of Mediah
    16-iii: The Kingdom of Valencia
    16-iv: The Kingdom of Haso
    16-v: Kamasylvia
    16-vi: Drieghan​
    Q-17: The Elves have a Queen (royalty). Does that mean there are noble Elves? Are they governed by a matriarchy?
    Q-17.2: What do we know about Elven family systems?
    Q-18: Okay. So, where is this "Black Desert," then? Is it actually a black desert?
    Q-19: What are the different major religions that exist?
    19-i: Elionism
    19-ii: Aalism
    19-iii: Kamasylvian Pantheon
    19-iv: Mediahn Pantheon
    19-v: Hasoan Mythology
    19-vi: Kzarka Cultism​
    Q-20: Is Elionsim to Catholicism/Christianity as Aalism is to Islam?
    Q-21: What is the lore behind all of the playable classes?
    21-i: Warrior
    21-ii: Ranger
    21-iii: Sorceress
    21-iv: Berserker
    21-v: Tamer
    21-vi: Musa
    21-vii: Maehwa
    21-viii: Valkyrie
    21-ix: Kunoichi
    21-x: Ninja
    21-xi: Wizard
    21-xii: Witch
    21-xiii: Dark Knight
    21-xiv: Striker
    21-xv: Mystic
    21-xvi: Lahn​
    Q-22: Wait, there are different dimensions?
    Q-23: What is magic in Black Desert like? How does it work?
    Q-24: What is this about magic being illegal?
    Q-25: What is Alchemy? Is it bad?
    25-i: So, it is like magical science. I prefer science. How does magic or "the natural/magical elements" compare to real science? Like our real-world scientific periodic table.
    25-ii: How about the specific substances that magi manipulate? Are there restrictions? For example, can geomancers only manipulate Earth? Can nature-magic practitioners only attune to spirits? Or is there overlap?
    25-iii: What is the difference between Sacred Power and Willpower? Can anyone use Sacred Power?​
    Q-26: Is all dark magic forbidden?
    Q-27: Who can learn magic?
    Q-28: Where are we in the timeline? What year is it?
    Q-29: How do people tell time? Is there a calendar?
    Q-30: What about Goma Naru? The Elision Stone??

[​IMG]

Q-1: What is the main story of Black Desert?
    A: The Protagonist one day wakes up with amnesia. They have no idea who they are, where they are, or why they see and hear a black mist with two beady red eyes talking to them. No one else seems capable of witnessing the presence, but some can detect it. The Protagonist soon learns that they are possessed by a Black Spirit.

The Black Spirit is a Chaotic Neutral presence and claims to be holding onto the Protagonist's memories as part of a contract. It urges the Protagonist to seek challenge and contest, which include slaughtering foes and performing tasks such as speaking with townsfolk, traveling, and exploring—adventuring. As the Protagonist grows in strength, so too does the Black Spirit, and it evolves in form through the absorption of energy from artifacts of the Ancients that the Protagonist encounters along the way.

It is the very beginning of the Protagonist's journy for self-discovery, retracing the steps of their past, their ancestry, and the history of the world at large.

[​IMG]

Q-2: What exactly is the Black Spirit?
    A: Black Spirits are strange entities whose existences and perceptions of space and time are not the same as those of other living things. To survive, Black Spirits dwell in Black Stones. When separated from Black Stones, Black Spirits must latch onto hosts as parasites, feeding off of energies such as, in a living thing, the electricity of brainwaves.

As the Black Spirits then hijack their hosts’ minds and memories, they purposefully amplify their hosts’ brainwaves in pursuit of Black Stones, knowledge of their surroundings, and other energy sources. As a result, the vast majority of hosts suffer a number of severe symptoms ranging from hallucinations to nightmares, madness, amnesia, and insatiable lust for power.

However, it is possible to extract Black Spirits from Black Stones and perhaps even their hosts with powerful electric shocks, magnets, as well as an Elven purification ritual found in Kamasylve Temple near the western border of Mediah—an area exclusive to Elves, the few Humans and creatures capable of interacting with spirits, and others suffering from Black Spirit possession. Sorcerers in Tarif also practice binding Black Spirits to enchanted vases and develop special stones to control Black Spirits.

Recent analysis has called into question whether Black Spirits are in fact a type of spirit based on the elemental aspect of Darkness. As Black Spirits are drawn to absorbing energy and possess or produce their own—known as Black Energy—there is evidence that supports how Black Spirits may exist as an opposite to other elements, converting other energies from the positive into the negative. It would explain why Black Spirits have a particular interest in exceptionally pure sources of energy.

It is unclear whether all Black Spirits possess a consciousness as developed as that of the Protagonist's Black Spirit. The Protagonist's Black Spirit is a specific one that plays a key role in the main story as the plot delves into the Ancient Civilization's lost history. But it is commonly acknowledged that Black Spirits are capable of enhancing their hosts' strength and intelligence... to a degree and with the cost of their sanity.

http://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6787/
    http://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6788/
    http://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6789/
    http://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6790/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/quest/4016/2/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6702/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6346/
    http://bdocodex.com/us/item/55723/
    http://bdocodex.com/us/theme/8963/

[​IMG]

Q-3: What are Black Stones?
    A: Some or all of which originate from meteorites, Black Stones are mysterious minerals used for numerous purposes: forging strengthened weapons and armor (crucible steel), alchemy, other crafts, consumption (arena fighters snort the powder), concealment, etc. Although Black Stones are famous for their so-called "magical properties," they may not be magical at all. Many sources describe Black Stones alternatively as a substance or matter of unlimited potential.

There is a theory in the canon that Black Stones may have similar properties or power to that of Lightstones, though it remains unconfirmed. Lightstones are enormous constructs that, in accordance with their name, radiate great light and are commonly found in ruins of the Ancients. Another theory developed by Maevynn at BDRP is that the true power of Black Stones may actually come from the Black Spirits that dwell within them. It is not uncommon to see Black Spirits floating around active Ancient ruin sites—or even within the living weapons that watch over the area.

Whatever the case may be, Black Stones are highly covetted, surrounded by mysticism, and often stand at the center of many belief systems and cultures throughout the world of Black Desert. Their mere existence let alone presence have sparked countless conflicts between peoples and nations. The oldest Black Stone in existence seems to reside with and is sanctified by the Centaurus, though its power has been sealed away by an Alchemist named Caphras.

https://i.imgur.com/h1fIXmA.png
    https://i.imgur.com/dItrR5c.png
    https://i.imgur.com/Z8eIKEh.png
    https://i.imgur.com/mwdPoWj.png
    http://bdocodex.com/us/theme/5530/
    http://bdocodex.com/us/quest/4501/3/
    http://bdocodex.com/us/quest/4501/8/
    http://bdocodex.com/us/quest/4501/9/
    http://bdocodex.com/us/quest/4501/10/
    http://bdocodex.com/us/quest/4501/13/
    http://bdocodex.com/us/quest/4500/167/
    http://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6791/

[​IMG]
    Q-4: Who are/were the Ancients?
    A: No one knows for certain.

The only hints left behind are the ruins and relics of their lost civilization—some of which remain active and functioning to this day. They were undoubtedly a people of high intelligence and technological advancement, spanning across whole continents and oceans, comprising of numerous races, and possessing a close connection to Black Spirits, Black Stones, Lightstones, and Ancient Hearts (artificial constructs that give life and possibly sentience to the inanimate, such as the Ancient Kutum, Pturum, and Ator). Some unknown catastrophe wiped them out.

Elves can trace their ancestry back to the Ancients and uphold a timeless oath to honor and protect their artifacts and secrets. The Protagonist descends from one specific figure of the Ancients: Edana, a being said to have lived two lives—one ordinary, one Awakened in which aging slowed—who paved the way for an era of light, leading the Kabua tribe to settle in the mountains of Kamasylvia and establishing themself as the first King of Valencia. (The order of these events is unknown.)

With theories of Black Spirits, Black Stones, and Lightstones in mind, perhaps the key to the Ancients’ advancements in technology was their lost method of shifting negative or Black Energy back into the positive. It is possible that the Ancients then created their Lightstones and the Ancient Hearts from this method, resulting in persisting power sources that still animate some of their weaponry centuries after their fall.

https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6316/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6317/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6318/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6319/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6320/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6323/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6325/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6031/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/quest/5007/3/

[​IMG]

Q-5: What races are there?
    A: The playable races are all Humans. The Korean term is "인간" or "Ingan," which translates to "Human". Curiously, Black Desert uses this label not only for the race of typical Humans. Human can be an overarching term for civilized people, which also consist of Giants, Dwarves, Elves, and possibly Shai.

Additionally, the world is also home to a variety of Demibeasts, Demihumans, Beasts/Animals, Spirits, and other artificial life-forms: Imps, Khurutos, Nagas, Fogans, Harpies, Manes, Bashims, Centaurs, Basilisks, Aakman, alchemically synthesized creatures and test subjects... The list goes on.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Q: Demibeast? Demihuman? Which is which?
    A: The Korean words for Demibeast and Demihuman have different connotations.

Demibeast: "수인" or "Su-In" in Korean translates roughly to, "a mixture of a human and animal." A walking dog, a centaur, a mermaid, a deer-like man, etc. all count as su-in.

Demihuman: "아인" or "Ain" in Korean translates to, "has the traits of a person, but isn't a person." It is a very wide-spanning term in Korean, but it is used in Black Desert to denote all humanoid races that aren't in the "Human" category. In other words, non-human persons.

http://blackdesertonline.wikia.com/wiki/Demihuman

[​IMG]

Q-6: Are there different languages?
    A: Innumerable.

It seems that there are as many languages as there are cultures, nations, and creatures. A popular story from Kamasylvia has been translated into at least ten different languages, possibly scripts. One race of Elves, the Ganelle, derives their language from that of the nature spirits. Then, there are countless other languages including but not exclusive to that of the Harpies, the Fogans, the Voraros, the Forest Ronaros, as well as Dwarven, Mediahn, Ancient, and a variety of other unknown or unreadable languages.

In a recent interview, Project Director Jae-Hee Kim clarified that there is a Common or universal language utilized by many races and people, especially Humans. While some may have their own "twist" (i.e. Otters add "Queek," Elves speak graciously and elegantly, and Giants are terse and blunt), it may be reasonable to presume that a vast number of folks are bilingual to communicate both locally and with those who travel from realms afar.

https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/5632/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/1121/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/1176/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6068/
    http://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6154/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/5003/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6292/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6839/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/item/40228/
    http://www.mmorpg.com/mobile/features.cfm?read=11844&game=944&ismb=1

[​IMG]

Q-7: Are there different types of Elves?
    A: Yes, there are two known races of Elves: the Vedir and the Ganelle.

The Elves' procclaimed Mother Goddess, Sylvia, was said to have drawn from the energy of the Sun and Moon to create twin daughters, Ganelle and Vedir. Ganelle was created in resemblence of the Sun, and her descendents were named after her, characterized by their love of harmony, order, and tradition. Vedir was created in resemblence of the Moon, and her descendents who followed after were characterized by their love of freedom and progress. With regulations and compromise, they lived together in harmony and enjoyed the bountiful lands, flora, fauna, and spirits of Kamasylvia under the protection of the sacred tree, Kamasylve.

The Disaster of Darkness—a catastrophic invasion of Black Spirits that wreaked havoc across the region in the year 235 of the Elionian Calendar—forced the two races of Elves to rapidly adapt to conflict. Having lived slothful lives without need for warfare, the Elves were powerless to defend themselves and their forest home. They relied entirely upon the Kamasylve—until a Vedir, a candidate for Queen at the time, named Viorencia Odore suggested burning through Kamasylve's essence to amplify its power and drive away the Black Spirits, for the Elves had no other solution in Kamasylvia.

Although the effort succeeded, it was at grave consequence. Deeply wounded and exhausted, Kamasylve entered into a death-like sleep. The Elves mourned and took down the tree's oldest branches and, through much research and experimentation, forged the first Elemental (Kamasylven) Swords, gaining control over the nature spirits. But the Elves could not agree upon how to best utilize this new gift. A schism quartered the Elves into four factions—the Acher Guard, the Rangers (Lemoria Guard or Standing Rangers Army), the Dark Knights, and the Ahib—and wedged deeply between the Ganelle and Vedir races.

In the aftermath of the 235 Disaster of Darkness and the subsequent course of events, the Ganelle and the Vedir ultimately separated due to their differing natures. Thus began decades of ideological dispute and sudden, violent bouts of bloodshed.

https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/5549/
    Kamasylvia & Elven Lore Google Document

[​IMG]

Q-8: Are Vedir akin to Dark Elves? Are there any Dark Elves or Drow in Black Desert?
    A: No. Vedir, although said to be inspired by Dark Elves, are neither Dark Elves nor Drow.

Thus far, there is nothing in the canon that denotes their appearance as distinct in any way from Ganelle—for example, there are dark-skinned Ganelle Elves, and most Vedir besides the Protagonist Dark Knight are depicted as fully clothed and faceless.

The racial mentality of the Vedir orient them towards Lunar themes and dark magic—as well as risk-taking and self-serving attitudes. However, there are plenty of Vedir who still respect nature and the spirits—and some Vedir have forsaken dark magic altogether, integrating with Ganelle society under Acher Guard and Kama-Grána rule or maintaining a factionless, neutral stance.

There are no Dark Elves or Drow in the world of Black Desert. Perhaps the closest thing in concept would be the Vedir Elves of the Ahib faction, whose souls and individual identities were utterly consumed by the Black Spirits they tapped into.

They are considered so radical, irredeemable, malicious, and even heretical by the other Elven factions and Kamasylvian creatures and spirits that Music Spirits emit a particular sound when they detect the presence of an Ahib, the Vedir Elves of the Dark Knights faction removed themselves from impending conflict—and most Ganelle would be inclined to kill an Ahib on sight.

Ahib have a rather ominous aura, but some are able to conceal their presence and even project phantoms of themselves into the world to quietly interact with their surroundings. Some Ahib fell to madness and rampaged, attacking everything in sight, while others seemed to behave as though they were being controlled. Please refer to the Kamasylvia & Elven Lore Google Document for a closer, in-depth look at the Ahib and the other Elven factions.

[​IMG]

Q-9: Are there Half-Elves? Ganelle-Vedir mixes?
    A: Yes, there are Half-Elf, Half-Human people.

A major character in the main storyline, Orwen, is Half-Elf, Half-Human. She is integrated with Kamasylvian society and culture, possesses innate Elven abilities, and doesn't appear to be treated any differently from her full-blooded Sisters. This suggests that a Half-Elf's development and place in Elven society largely depends on the culture they are raised with—and that their Elven blood grants them heightened sensitivity to spirits and energies, just as full-blooded Elves have.

There is no information yet regarding mixed Elves (Half-Ganelle, Half-Vedir).

We do not know how either Elven race came to be or the role of men in reproduction. In other words, we have no idea whether male Elves belong to either Ganelle or Vedir races—or if they comprise of an entirely different ethnic/racial group—only that sexual reproduction is likely part of the process.

(Refer back to Tip 2. The Ganelle Elves possibly descend from the Ancient Gyfin Rhasia tribe, who settled in Kamasylvia from a different continent with their bronze automaton weapons. This means that the creation story of Sylvia and the Sun & Moon may be a lie!! How's that for a twist?)

https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/180/

Q-10: Are there Half-Giants? Half-Dwarves? Half-Orcs?
    A: There is no information regarding other hybrids.

[​IMG]

Q-11: I've only seen female Elves! Why are there no male Elves?! PA is so lazy!
    A: Male Elves do exist! They are "extremely rare." Whether this is in a numerical or visible sense has yet to be determined. Elven society has undergone drastic changes over the last 50 years (or more) since the Disaster of Darkness. From the following, we can surmise that male Elves do not serve the same roles or positions as females:

“Elves of Kamasylvia are special beings given to the nature, and male Elves in particular are extremely rare. They also have different abilities from their female counterpart. Therefore, it is not correct to say that there are no male Elves in Kamasylvia. It is just that they are all on a long expedition to protect something crucial to the world, obeying a very important rule in Kamasylvia. Kamasylvia is still waiting for their return.” —Project Director Jae-Hee Kim

There are some clues within the game as to where the males may have ventured—including a recent screenshot of a Male Elf lingering in Drieghan—but a concrete answer has yet to be released. It is also uncertain whether male Elves belong to either Ganelle or Vedir clans/races. Thus, the whereabouts of Kamasylvia’s male Elves and their role in Elven society remain conjectural.

Rest assured, the developers may very well have a good reason for the absence of male Elves thus far! And this hasn't stopped roleplayers or other gamers from creating "male Elves" by tweaking the ears on character models. Just keep in mind that the absence of lore surrounding male Elves means that anything can happen—and that, for whatever reason, it may be safer to assume a male Elf wandering the world has found himself on the outside of his collective community... and thus has no idea where the others are or what they could be doing.

[​IMG]

Q-12: Are there female Giants? Female Dwarves?
    A: According to Project Director Jae-Hee Kim, there are no female Giants.

"There has been only male Giants throughout the history of Black Desert. Giants used to be much bigger and taller in the past, but as generations passed, they have become a bit smaller, which is the average size of what they are today. They look similar to humans when they are born, but they grow much bigger and acquire their characteristic appearances as they grow." —Project Director Jae-Hee Kim

So, kinda like giantism.

The status of female Dwarves has yet to be determined.

[​IMG]

Q-13: Where does each race come from?
    A: Unfortunately, there is no concrete information at this time. As stated in Tip 2, there are multiple creation stories across the world's many cultures and peoples.

[​IMG]

Q-14: What is the name of the world? The continent?
    A: No idea... The continent is sometimes referred to as "the Western Continent" and its different regions are referred to as "the West" or "the East" or their respective territory names. However, a single, universal name for the landmass does not yet exist—or has not been confirmed.

On the other hand, the Kingdom of Haso and its continent of the Far East is simply referred to as Haso.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Q-15: What are the different regions?
    A: Thus far, there are six nations with at least nine regions.

The Republic of Calpheon: Calpheon, Serendia, Balneos
    The Republic of Mediah: Mediah
    The Kingdom of Valencia: Valencia
    The Kingdom of Haso: ?
    Kamasylvia: Lemoria, Western Kamasylvia
    Drieghan: ?

The Protagonist's story begins in the Republic of Calpheon, which comprises of Calpheon as well as its vassal territories, Serendia and Balenos. Development notes and naming conventions indicate that each region has a specific real-world parallel, from which the developers drew inspiration.

Balenos bears resemblance to Spain or Tuscany in Italy, and Serendia is based upon France—with its capital, Heidel, directly modeled after the French village, Beynac-et-Cazenac. Though, plenty of NPCs from both of these territories have English names and speak with accents typically found in the real-world's United States.

Calpheon is based upon a mixture of Italian themes in its north and north-central sections as well as Slavic and Germanic themes in the south. The capital city of Calpheon (Calpheon city) is modeled after the Italian cities Assissi and Florence, though NPCs here (more so aristocrats and the wealthy) will often speak with British/UK accents.

The Republic of Mediah, also known as Mediah, is located right in between the Calpheonian Republic and Valencian Kingdom, serving as a bridge between the West and the East as well as a center of international trade. Its capital city is Altinova, where the Shen Merchant Guild maintains... some semblance of order and prosperity.

The Kingdom of Valencia, also known as Valencia, is what most would refer to as "the East." This region was once home to both deserts and flourishing greenery. A massive sandstorm, however, has swallowed most of the land.

Mediah and Valencia possess strong Byzantine and Ottoman themes with mixed inspiration drawn from South African tribes and kingdoms as well as Egypt, Arabia, and other parts of the Middle East.

The Kingdom of Haso, or Haso, is home to a number if not a mixture of East-Asian or Sinosphere cultures: Korean, Chinese, and Japanese themes are all prevelant, judging by the various classes said to originate from Haso. The land-mass is found at the Far Eastern corner of the world—or the north-west from the Calpheonian Republic across the much shorter but extremely perilous journey that crosses the Margoria Ocean.

Kamasylvia is home to the Elves and a variety of almost mythical, otherwise unseen creatures. The region is largely inspired by Tolkien as well as Celtic, Grecian, and some Germanic themes. Its lands are divided into east and west: Lemoria, where the Rangers patrol and defend the borders, and Western Kamasylvia, home to the capital city Grána and the sacred tree Kamasylve as well as other sacred sites under Acher Guard protection.

Drieghan is said to be the homeland of the Giants and Dwarves. Information from the recent Korean Part 1 Expansion has yet to be translated into English, but we do know that Drieghan Part 1 (which focuses on the northwestern portion of the region) draws from Tibetan and Mongolian inspiration. Like Kamasylvia, it is home to a variety of exotic beasts and plants.

And these are all excluding the various alternate dimensions, like the Sage dimension and the dimension of the Fairies (Queen Theiah and the numerous Lailas).

http://www.inven.co.kr/board/black/4291/6241
    http://forum.blackdesertonline.com/...eon-is-based-on-an-italian-city-named-assisi/

[​IMG]

Q-16: What are each of these regions and their societies like?
    A: It's important to note that, over the course of the last 50 years, sudden events like the Black Death (not to be confused with Bubonic plague Black Death; this world has its own version) and perpetual, cataclysmic natural disasters have drastically shaped the people and the landscape. The Black Death alone wiped out half of the Western Continent's population, and changes in climate and habitat have forced many barbarian races to migrate from their original territories, sparking great conflict with Human civilizations.

https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6510/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6511/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6516/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6515/

[​IMG]

16-i: The Republic of Calpheon
    A: Reminiscent of late-Renaissance, pre-Reformation Europe, the Republic of Calpheon is a fairly new state governed by Kalis Parliament and succeeds the Kingdom of Calpheon. Before that, the territories were divided into their respective kingdoms: Calpheon proper, Keplan, Heidel (Serendia), and Balenos. These kingdoms previously united in a military alliance to wage war against Valencia, but the alliance disbanded as each region turned its attention to the natural disasters ravaging their lands.

Soon after, Calpheon discovered and covetted the high-quality Black Stones found in Keplan's mines and Serendia's swamps, sparking a betrayal as Calpheon turned to seize and subjugate its former allies.

The Republic's official religion is Elionism. Priests often travel on mission across the Republic's territories to preach and help spread Elionism. There is a rising middle class of wealthy merchants and a falling of the feudal-era's aristocracy with widespread reverance and dissent, alike, towards the Church of Elion.

https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6591/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6590/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6589/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6588/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6587/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6512/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6514/

[​IMG]

16-i.a: Balenos
    A: Despite their hardships and simplicity, Balenosians are a proud, hard-working, gentle, and welcoming people of brewers, alchemists, vigilantes, and farmers along the West's northern coast.

Around 150 years ago, the King of Cron Castle sought immortality and sacrificed numerous innocents for an alchemical ritual—only to bring about the Cron Castle incident and perish, as depicted in the Murals of the Ancients found in the Ancient Stone Chamber. (It is uncertain if this figure was King Noir Bartali III or King Agris III or if these two are one in the same—as multiple sources in the game conflict.)

The Kingdom of Balenos was founded by an ancestor of the Bartali family. Noir Bartali III is known to be the last King of Balenos. To this day, the Chief of Balenos territory is always from this family, and the remains of the Bartalis are buried in the Velia ossuary.

Underwater ruins indicate that much of the land once north of the continent rests submerged beneath the ocean, leaving only the various archipelagos to breach the water's surface. What remains of these, the northern sea, and the mainland is now overseen by Chieft Igor of the Bartali family and protected by vigilante forces.

Balenosians are devoted to leading simple lives. Alchemy seems to be gaining traction and popularity due to the famous Alchemist Alustin and his twin daughters. When Calpheon sought to expand its territory, Balenos voluntarily surrendered without a fight.

There are two main settlements in Balenos: Olvia and Velia.

It's said that Velia was the seat of the Kingdom since the beginning (150 years ago), but Olvia was at one point its capital, perhaps 50 years ago with the main events of the Western Alliance against Valencia (check the Timeline). And then, for some reason, the capital was shifted back to Velia again. Or perhaps Velia is the capital of the region, but maybe the Kingdom (which is said to have fallen long ago) died with Olvia as its capital?

Due to the recent opening of trade with Florin in Calpheon, the people of Olvia have turned to practicing alchemy alongside their agricultural pursuits. And alhough one might assume Velia to be a city dedicated to fishing and trade from a geological standpoint, this is untrue. Several attempts to gain attraction to Velia as a port city have failed (though, recent fascination with the Margoria Ocean and Port Ratt may see this changed). As a result, the locals have focused on farming, instead—and produce high quality vintage wine, as the region is perfect for cultivating grapes and brewing.

https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/3032/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/3001/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6053/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6522/

[​IMG]

16-i.b: Serendia
    A: Serendia is an inland territory home to many high-quality artisanal goods and crafts. The region's location makes it optimal for industry and international trade in the West, and so there is never a shortage of work for any laborer or wandering sellsword.

Formerly known as the Kingdom of Heidel under Crucio Domongatt, Serendia territory is defined by its northern mountains, foothills, forests, plains, and southern swamplands rich in high-quality Black Stones. After these Black Stones were unearthed, Calpheon sought to control excavation efforts in Serendia and invaded. In the war that followed, King Domongatt was taken hostage and forced to sign a treaty to end the war in 278, crippling Serendia's military and forcing Domongatt to step down from King of Serendia to Lord of Heidel Castle.

Serendia was brought to heel as a vassal state under Calpheonian rule, and Calpheon was free to excavate the swamps on its own terms, monopolizing the Black Stones.

Serendia's people are thusly embittered and resentful towards Calpheonians—particularly those of the ruthless Xian Merchant Guild. Although the League of Merchants regulates trading permissions in Serendia's capital city, Heidel, the Xian Merchant Guild continues to impose with ethically questionable practices, such as extortion, and competing with native businesses—like the stable established at the city's south end, rivaling the one in the north used by locals. One villager (NPC) even stated he was unfairly pressed with enormous interest rates after borrowing a loan from the Xian. As a result, the people of Heidel consider the Xian Merchants to be swindlers and crooks.

The dissent against Calpheon is so powerful that, although traders in Heidel sell items from all over the world, they shun anything from Calpheon. Bouncers of the Valley Lily Inn, located in the northern district of the city, even reject Calpheonians from entering, turning them away and physically preventing them from setting foot through the door.

What's more, Serendia is plagued by numerous violent barbarian races and an uprising peasantry. The previous workforce of Mine Imps have suddenly turned vicious; the Nagas in the swamps are becoming more and more savage to defend their territory from the encroaching Fogans; and Red Orcs have settled in the neutral territory west of the region. Dissatisfied, overtaxed peasants have also fled to comprise the Biraghi Bandits and Al Rhundi Rebel forces. They clash frequently with the Serendian army and traveling merchants, causing continual strife in Serendia's borderlands.

https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/3058/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6512/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6619/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/101/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/quest/2011/1/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/quest/2011/3/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/4109/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6581/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/188/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6600/
    http://bdocodex.com/us/theme/3071/
    http://bdocodex.com/us/theme/3075/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6582/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6103/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/3084/

[​IMG]

16-i.c: Calpheon
    A: Calpheon proper is a vast territory with agrarian lands in the north, a subjugated mining region in the southeast, and a great forest to the southwest. It is home to the capital city of the now Republic of Calpheon that conquered Keplan (its mining region), Balenos, and Serendia.

In 235, Priests of the Elionian Church blamed Valencia for heretical Black Stone alchemy and bringing chaos to the West in the form of a great plague, the Black Death, though this claim proved to be false. As troops reached the easternmost part of Valencia, they discovered that the Valencians were also affected by the Black Death. The disease spared no one—not even clergy or nobility. Nevertheless, the war raged on for thirty years—until an expedition party led by the Calpheonian King Dahad Seric set out into the desert for Valencia's capital and was promptly buried by a sudden, enormous sandstorm.

Dahad's son, Guy Seric, was then crowned at age twenty and would be the nation's last King. After imposing high taxes and attempting to reignite the flames of war with Valencia by commandeering the armies of merchant guilds and planning for another expedition, Guy Seric suddenly died without an heir in 281 at age 30. In his wake, a council called Kalis Parliament formed and took control.

In theory, Kalis Chairmen were gathered to represent all classes of society. But in truth, they are simply rich merchants and aristocrats vying for power—with the exception of one, maybe two. Some of these figures are also supported by the Elionian Church, which further complicates the nation's religious and secular relationships and elements in Calpheonian politics.

«In progress.»

https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6587/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6588/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6590/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/380/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6589/
    http://worldwidegamewatchers.com/post/87217746981/black-desert-story-of-calpheon

[​IMG]

16-i.d: Keplan
    A: Keplan was once a flourishing mining city state of the mountainous region southeast of Calpheon, but its annexation brought many changes. Among those, the Petrifying Disease—a malady that turns people to stone—has taken root among the miners after they began extracting Black Stones.

Formerly the Kingdom of Keplan, the city was a staunch ally to Calpheon. Its King, Marco Faust, ordered overly expensive military expeditions to assist the Kingdom of Calpheon against the Kingdom of Valencia—only to see those missions end in failure and betrayal. When news of Black Stone deposits discovered in Keplan's vicinity spread, Calpheon didn't hesitate to wage war and claim its former ally's resources. The war lasted less than a year, and Keplan became a vassal state to Calpheon.

Nowadays, some of the good ore is sent to Calpheon to be used for arms and armor, and other shipments are made to Mediah for trade via Port Epheria. But compared to its recent past, Keplan has sunken into pitiful conditions. Its former King, now Lord, has lost his will to lead after his daughter Oze went missing. Petrifying Disease, rumored to come from the dust in the mines where Black Stones are excavated, is spreading rampantly among laborers; regardless, refugees desperate for work flocked in droves to Keplan. Half of the quarries are abandoned, and Keplan's output is decreasing. Giants and Saunils threaten the region's frontiers. Furthermore, military personnel stationed here are said to reach a grinding halt in their careers, as there are no achievements to be had in Keplan.

As a result, Keplan is also nicknamed the "City of Sorrows."

https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/3176/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6138/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/423/

[​IMG]

16-ii: The Republic of Mediah
    A: Mediah is a region situated to the east of the Republic of Calpheon. It is uniquely positionated for trade between the West and the East, a fact that the merchants of the region realized and capitalized upon, and is also home to numerous factions—including Elves, who established a Kamasylve Temple in the borderlands, and Sorcerers with a flourishing magical academia in Tarif.

The legend of Mediah's creation centers around its first King, Bareeds, and the Evil God Kzarka, also known as the Lord of Corruption. After crossing a harsh desert, Bareeds was said to have confronted Kzarka and severed his hands with an arcane power. The earth where Kzarka's blood was shed then became the vast lands of Mediah.

The territory's recent foundation bears some similarities to Calpheon's. After a disastrous event known as the Three Days of Darkness—brought upon by the witch Illezra, who abused dark powers stolen from the Sorcerers' foundational Book of Cartian—Barbarians invaded the capital city and killed the royal family. Neruda Shen, head of the Shen Merchants Guild, then took effective control of the state and renamed it.

Although the state's power is now ambiguous, some semblance of order is enforced by the Shroud Knights. The Barbarians have seized control of a portion of the capital city Altinova as well as Mediah's southern lands, and other factions like the Sausans act independently in the north, often clashing with the Shroud Knights. Illezra's influence also lingers in Mediah with the Wandering Rogues, who were corrupted by her dark power, and the alchemist Marni's second laboratory is also found here—full of his disturbing creations.

In the west of Mediah, the Elves planted a branch of their sacred tree, Kamasylve, to nurture into a young tree—through which they can commune with the original tree—and establish a temple sanctuary overseen by Chancellor Herawen, who maintains a neutral stance among the four Elven factions. Only Elves and those capable of interacting with spirits or who suffer from Black Spirit possession are allowed entry into the temple.

Farther east from the Kamasylve Temple lies Tarif, a village founded long ago by the Sorceress Cartian and her followers from a region to the far south. Now, the village is known as a site for active magical academia and has ties from all over the world, including with Calpheon and the Ganelle Elves of Kamasylvia. Sorcery Instructors teach both adults and children to utilize their own and ambient energies for self-discipline, mastery, and—if students have proven themselves capable—how to wield the violent forces of dark magic.

https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6147/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6516/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6618/
    http://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6679/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6652/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6662/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/quest/4560/1/

[​IMG]

16-iii: The Kingdom of Valencia
    A: The vast region of Valencia is home to the game's namesake, the Black Desert—a pivotal part of the story and lore—as well as one of the most powerful nations in the Western Continent. The land is mostly divided by two types of terrain: sandy desert and crags. Numerous ancestral tribes dwell in both, and active ruins from the Ancient Civilization remain buried under the dunes.

The Kingdom has one of the few remaining hereditary monarchial systems based in the capital city of Valencia, a city founded between the narrow straight north of Ancado Harbor and a large lake to the south within the capital's walls. For thirty long years, Valencia was at war with the then Western Alliance and now remains in a state of Cold War with Elionian-worshipping territories. As such, Elionian scripture and worship are considered heretical and are banned from the state.

Valencians mostly believe in Aalism, which has expanded its sphere of influence into its allied state, Mediah. In the wake of Aal's teachings, the people are often insular, disciplined, pious, and collective. Most of the nation's workforce is comprised of Aalans, who are expected to donate a certain amount of their earnings to the poor in accordance to Aal's teachings. Thanks to this principle, Valencia is free of the starving, and the culture of donation has launched the state into a golden age of development. Education is widespread and academic pursuits such as astronomy have become widely popular.

Unfortunately, there is too much conflicting information regarding Valencian royalty—the number of Kings, Queen Marumin's reign, descendants, etc.—to determine a correct family tree and timeline of their rule. We do know that King Imur Nesser of previous generations was responsible for the 234 genocide of a tribal group called the Aakman, who worshipped the Ancients, to subjugate them and make them part of the Kingdom. Not long after, the Black Death appeared and ravaged Valencia.

Perhaps Valencia was indeed responsible for the Black Death, but not in the way that Elionian Priests in Calpheon believed.

http://bdocodex.com/us/theme/5510/

[​IMG]

16-iv: The Kingdom of Haso
    A: Little is known about this nation, as it resides upon a landmass entirely distinct from the Western Continent. Referred to as the Far East for its presumed placement far off of Valencia's eastern coast, Haso is home to a number of martial clans, guilds, royalty, and conflicts between them. The nation suffers from upheaval as rival clans slaughter one another, rogues betray their own guilds, the people overthrow their leaders, and disease wreaks havoc among the populace.

Currently, Haso has closed its gates to outsiders. No one knows what is occurring within.

There exists an alternate route to Haso that is significantly shorter than circumnavigating the globe: across the northeastern portion of the Margoria Ocean—from the Calpheonian Republic to Port Ratt, which serves as a rare point of trade between the isolated nation and the rest of the world. However, the journey is fraught with significantly more peril. Sea monsters as large as sailboats—if not larger, pirates, ghost ships, spouts, and typhoons plague the deep stretches of water. When entering Margoria, ordinary navigation techniques are also rendered useless.

Thus, few sailors dare to make the voyage. Of those who do, many and their vessels are lost to the waves. Though, daring guilds brave the depths to hunt the enormous creatures of Margoria. There is also a large ship that runs with some frequency between Port Ratt and Lema Island, serving as a ferry.

One of the few glimpses into Hasoan society—provided through the game's various class Awakening lore entries—is that there appears to be a flourishing culture of martial artists and great respect for the strongest, regardless of their origins. A national tournament gathers fighters from all across the Far Eastern lands to compete for the title of champion. Its other prizes remain unknown.

Heavily rooted in the real "Sinic world" (also known as the "Sinosphere" or "East Asian cultural sphere"), fictional Haso is hinted to share the same values of Confucian ethical philosophy, Buddhism, Taoism, Sinic mythology, art, and the common Hanzi writing system—as depicted on many of the Hasoan classes' armor and costumes.

While it may be a stretch to assume that figures and scripts like (those of) Confucius, Buddah, Tao, or Sun Tzu exist in Hasoan culture, the essence of their teachings that prize self-discipline, inner peace, balance, skill, intelligence, and the significance of an individual as part of a greater whole or purpose are prevalent in how the Hasoan classes are depicted and the implications of their backstories.

http://bdocodex.com/us/theme/3431/
    http://bdocodex.com/us/theme/9153/
    http://bdocodex.com/us/theme/9150/
    http://bdocodex.com/us/quest/3060/1/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Asian_cultural_sphere

[​IMG]

16-v: Kamasylvia
    A: Situated to the southwest of Calpheon Territory, Kamasylvia is home to the Elves and many other unique and mythical creatures. Surrounded by forests and steep mountains ranges, the landscape has earned its name as a natural fortress, offering protection and isolation to its residents. As a result, Kamasylvia's people and fauna tend to lead insular, collective lives in harmony with one another and nature separate from the rest of the world.

«In progress.»

Kamasylvia & Elven Lore Document

[​IMG]

16-vi: Drieghan
    A: Home to Gargoyles, Dragons, Giants, and Dwarves, Drieghan is a land of steep mountains, crags, and valleys located in the south of the Western Continent due east of Kamasylvia. «In progress.»

[​IMG]

Q-17: The Elves have a Queen (royalty). Does that mean there are noble Elves? Are they governed by a matriarchy?
    A: Likely not.

The laws of Kamasylvia written in the Kamasylvia Ancient Pandects originate from mythological times. Although the code is an ancient one, it is so relevant, reasonable, and people-oriented that it is still considered a must-read among those practicing law. Ganelle refer to this system as Grandir.

Grána rule is comprised of one Queen, who is selected and supported by a collective council of respected Saints called the Kama-Grána. The laws are then enforced by the Acher Guard while the Lemoria Guard (Standing Rangers Army) works to protect Kamasylvia’s borders from invasion.

Women play significant roles and hold the highest known degrees of authority both within Kamasylvia’s government and the realm’s mythos. They are all over, constituting the Priestesses, Saints, ruling body, and the Queen, serving as warriors, laborers, artists, etc. Thus, it is clear that women hold positions of power within Kamasylvia's politics, religion, and day-to-day life. They are free to pursue a wide variety of occupations without any form of judgement or prejudice. The role of Elven men remains to be seen.

For these reasons, the ruling system of Kamasylvia is perhaps best described as an egalitarian meritocracy with elected, widely recognized officials. All titles and positions are earned with merit: talent and skill demonstrated through trials and/or other activities.

This is especially prevalent as of the Disaster of Darkness, with Ganelle martial organizations such as the Acher and Lemorian Guards seizing control and rising to power due to their sheer strength, numbers, and practiced ideology, which earned them influence and rapport with the forest's many creatures. Elves must also complete trials of the Valtarra Training Altar to become recognized Saints. As a result, class divisions often found in Human societies do not appear to exist in Kamasylvia. Elves are instead identified simply by vocation, reputation, and their individual abilities among their collective, insular people.

http://bdocodex.com/us/theme/3451/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/9190/

Q-17.2: What do we know about Elven family systems?
    A:

[​IMG]

Q-18: Okay. So, where is this "Black Desert," then? Is it actually a black desert?
    A: Also known as the Great Desert, this desert is the expanse of barren dunes that covers the majority of Valencia. It is so vast and is home to mysterious energies that ordinary navigation techniques are rendered useless upon entering the region. Due to its history, the Great Desert is also known by several other names.

The "Black Desert" is a name used by the people of Calpheon and other regions in the western part of the continent to refer to the Great Desert for its richness in the best of high-quality Black Stones.

In memory of their fallen soldiers and to commemorate their victory, the Valencians specifically named the westernmost part of the desert as the "Red Desert" after the great amount of bloodshed during the 30-year war against the Western invaders.

The people of Mediah see Valencia as a land of gold and a rich state, thus naming the area the "Golden Desert" after a popular saying.

Followers of Aal, believers in Aalism, may refer to the desert as "Aal's Arms."

http://bdocodex.com/us/theme/3387/
    http://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6799/
    http://bdocodex.com/us/theme/3388/
    http://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6656/

#2 Nasche, May 19, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  3. Nasche

[​IMG]

Q-19: What are the different major religions that exist?
    A:

19-i: Elionism
    A: «In progress.»

19-ii: Aalism
    A:

19-iii: Kamasylvian Pantheon

19-iv: Mediahn Pantheon
    A:

19-v: Hasoan Mythology
    A:

19-vi: Kzarka Cultism

[​IMG]

Q-20: Is Elionsim to Catholicism/Christianity as Aalism is to Islam?
    A: No. While both religions draw from Catholicism and Islam for thematic inspiration, there are vast differences between them. «In progress.»

[​IMG]

Q-21: What is the lore behind all of the playable classes?
    A: Visit https://bdocodex.com/us/knowledge/ and see Learning the ropes of Black Desert\Awakening. «In progress.»

21-i: Warrior

21-ii: Ranger

21-iii: Sorceress

21-iv: Berserker

21-v: Tamer

21-vi: Musa

21-vii: Maehwa

21-viii: Valkyrie

21-ix: Kunoichi

21-x: Ninja

21-xi: Wizard

21-xii: Witch

21-xiii: Dark Knight

21-xiv: Striker

21-xv: Mystic

21-xvi: Lahn

[​IMG]

Q-22: Wait, there are different dimensions?
    A: Yes. Lord Red and Deneve, the Protagonist Wizard and Witch, were both from the Sage dimension and came to the world of Black Desert through cross-dimensional teleportation. The Fairy companions, the Lailas of Queen Theiah, also originate from their own dimension and came to the world of Black Desert through a tear in the fabric of space-time—the cause of which is related to the Protagonist's recent efforts to restore the Kamasylve.

https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/9243/
    https://www.blackdesertonline.com/news/view/1242

[​IMG]

Q-23: What is magic in Black Desert like? How does it work?
    A: There is no single, correct way of performing magic.

There was a lengthy discussion in the BDRP Discord Server's #lore-chat about whether or not it's possible to achieve similar results with varying techniques. The short answer is yes. This analysis of magic in BD that Maevynn did a while ago begins to draw lines between the various classes and their techniques to other phenomena out in the world. Through these, we may conclude three major principles for exactly where energy can be harnessed from:

1. Ambient energy
    2. Internal energy
    3. Communion with other being(s)/artifact(s)

For example, we see the extradimensional Witch and Wizard cast all sorts of elemental magic by drawing from ambient mana. In addition, they use the Aad and Godr as well as commune with their elementals given form, Tett & Gorr or Arne & Marg, for powerful lightning, earth, water, and fire spells (respectively). Musa, Striker, Maehwa, and Valkyrie, however, can also achieve elemental magic (fire, ice, lightning)—through sheer force of will (Willpower) or faith (Sacred Power). In other words, these seem to be the raw, malleable energy that exists within living and conscious things—exerted through force of mind and spirit over matter.

This suggests that magic can result from a confluence and interaction between the realms of thought, belief/faith, the physical, and the external. And the implications of this are huge. They touch upon multiple fields of mysticism, even medicine, science, and the humanities: chi, chakra, shamanism, neurology, chemistry, psychology, physics, spirituality, theology, philosophy, etc. Potato TL;DR, "I need fire/ice/lightning. I can do that. You a burnt *****, now. Magic," which is easier said than done considering all of the mental focus, spiritual strength, and rounded training required to pull it off. Hence, the magic we see used by the playable classes aren't widely accessible to the Everyman.

Willpower isn't limited to casting elemental magic, either. Most classes are capable of performing other extraordinary feats of will, and Striker in particular is canonically able to halt or reverse his own aging because of his faith in his own identity and appearance and his communion with nature. What's more is that none of the methods seem to be exclusive. All of the classes are capable of drawing from ambient energy to power themselves—whether this is free kinetic energy (what we'd call regain/regen HP/MP/WP/SP on hit), heat energy, or channeling other energies from the environment.

Warrior, Sorceress, Berserker, and Ranger are the earliest proof of this. Warrior in the meta uses both Willpower and Black Energy drawn from the Black Spirit. Sorceress hails from a monk-like curriculum of personal mastery before learning how to draw from ambient energy and produce spells powered by dark magic. Berserker uses raw physical strength along with Willpower and the Buster artifact. Ranger uses the Kamasylven Sword and communes with ambient mana and spirits, mostly Sylphs, to harness the element of wind—though we know this is not exclusive to them from what's revealed about spirits and Elven magical practices. Then, we have Tamer, who uses a combination of celestial magic with her Celestial Bo Staff and communing with the Divine Beast Heilang. Dark Knights draw from spirits, ambient energy, and the life force/essence of nature. Mystic both exerts Willpower and communes with the Blue Dragon, Banha...

With all of this in mind, it's no wonder we see everything from basic enchantments and potion-making to alchemical amalgamations, reanimated necrotic bodies to living machines guarding Ancient ruins, parasitic Black Spirits, etc. It's also no wonder that characters can believe in something or someone that may be fiction within fiction or uncertain to exist—and still achieve empowerment (Valkyrie). Magic in Black Desert hosts almost innumerable possibilities.

It's a deep, dark rabbit hole, which is why uncovering the rules, "limits," disturbing consequences, and convoluted history of magic are perhaps my favorite aspects to research in Black Desert's lore. (Can you tell? Hah.)

[​IMG]

Q-24: What is this about magic being illegal?
    A: While there are "forbidden" or highly frowned upon and taboo arts, magic is not illegal anywhere.

Alchemy is considered a taboo and a heretical practice with regards to Elionism, and thus it is banned from Calpheon city—excluding the Holy College—though, even this has more to do with a political contention between the Elionian Church and famous alchemists like Gorgath and Alustin gaining popularity.

https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6257/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6602/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6859/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6771/

[​IMG]

Q-25: What is Alchemy? Is it bad?
    A: Alchemy is not inherently bad.

According to the fundamentals of Alchemy, every substance in the world has its own mysterious power. Alchemists extract the innate power of each ingredient and blend it with others to create special elixirs—and other substances. This includes developing medicine, reagents (catalysts, solvents), adhesives, and even magic crystals with enchanting properties.

However, there are darker and much more dangerous aspects to alchemy. It is said that the magical practice used by alchemists is based on the incantations of ancient shamans. Half of these techniques were forbidden, and countless still were simply forgotten over time. Ultimately, alchemists flirt with the potential of rediscovering prohibitively destructive techniques that would be best forgotten—similar to dark or evil witchcraft.

Practitioners like Donatt of Glish and even King Noir Bartali III have brought about great destruction and suffering in their pursuits for power and immortality.

https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6148/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/7219/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6003/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6061/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6535/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6350/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6534/
    http://bdocodex.com/us/quest/1060/7/
    http://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6858/

[​IMG]
    image by https://dralpha.deviantart.com/art/8-Elements-108087397

25-i: So, it is like magical science. I prefer science. How does magic or "the natural/magical elements" compare to real science? Like our real-world scientific periodic table.
    A: Refer to Tip 1.

It may be a bit too literal to compare the "Elements" with the Elements of Matter as we know them. I personally interpret the Elements system—that dates much farther back than just fantasy fiction—as distinctly separate from the scientific Periodic Table of Elements.

Both can exist without being mutually exclusive, as they address different concepts. The periodic table is founded upon the categorization of literal matter; material composition; the construction of subatomic and atomic particles to form substance. The Elements (which I count as eight—Earth, Water, Air, Fire, Dark/Shadow, Light, and Spirit, and Time & Space) linger closer to the realm of spiritualism; the flow and nature of energy and life—things that are qualitative and unable to be scientifically quantified; hence, quantum theory.

Light is a revealing, illuminating force, "filling" and positive energy. Dark/Shadow is a concealing and consuming force, or "emptying," even draining, negative energy. Earth is stubbornness and inertia; Air is freedom, whimsy, and motion. Fire is aggression, destruction, and conquest; Water is soothing, yielding, and flow. Spirit, the force of life that is self-aware and ever in motion, facilitating movement between the six, connecting them and maintaining balance. Finally, Time & Space are the energies that compose the planes throughout which these other elements move and exist.

The core concepts date as far back as ancient mythology and medicine from the Sinosphere to Egypt to Celtic and Germanic civilizations. While we know exactly how effective ancient medicine was (most of it was not), we can relate a lot of our moods and ailments to these natural elements. For example, depression could be categorized as an imbalance of too much Earth and Darkness; anxiety as too much Air and Darkness; etc. Broken bones required mending that drew from a combination of elements: Earth to reinforce, Water to soothe, and Light as well as Spirit to promote correct, positive growth (taking in proper nutrients, awareness of the injury, giving it time and support to rest and heal).

Though, that's not to say that Darkness as a negative force was intrinsically bad. Darkness was also often required for things like anger issues (too much Fire) and concussions or eye problems (to allow refuge from light sensitivity).

So technically, it makes total sense for there to be Periodic Elements—which promotes the common practice of alloying metals and the creation of things like crucible steel in a fantasy setting—while also supporting the spirit of the Natural Elements.

[​IMG]
    25-ii: How about the specific substances that casters manipulate? Are there restrictions? For example, can geomancers only manipulate Earth? Can nature-magic practitioners only attune to spirits? Or is there overlap?
    A: Well, that depends. What "substance" is the magus manipulating, exactly? Refer to Tip 1.​
    For natural energies or elements of nature and their most basic, physical forms, Earth is manifested as solid objects (minerals, soil, rock, all of which have a variety of periodic table elements). Water is liquid (which is not exclusively water, as water tends to comprise of various electrolytes, dissolved minerals, and other liquids, as well) and happens to be the most readily available and life-infused liquid in existence. Air is a bunch of gases, but never one specific substance (and often incorporates lightning magic, which is in essence an electric discharge); and Fire, perhaps the purest of these four energies, is characterized as heat/destructive energy.

But you can see the other elements still at work with each form of magic if you analyze. How do you get Earth, a force of inertia and solidity, to move? How can you make water, something that is naturally yielding and conforming, to heal or to manifest as a torrent or solidify into ice and cause harm? The manipulation of the substances may be all that appears on the surface, but the energies still seem to be at work with one another.

This is evident in Black Desert given how many different "schools" of magic or mixed abilities are utilized by the game's different classes, the existence and importance of various energies and auras in the world, and even the alchemical process.

This concept also exists in the real-world, both in aboriginal peoples and modern naturalists. I would highly suggest looking into Anna Breytenbach and quantum communication, or otherwise known as telepathy or intuition.

25-iii: What is the difference between Sacred Power and Willpower? Can anyone use Sacred Power?
    A: Willpower is depicted to be raw force of will—generated from discipline and concentration—whereas Sacred Power derives from similar origins, but revolves around belief in higher purpose.

In the Awakening quests from Venslar that delve into the history of Enslar and the Holy College, there is frequent mention regarding sanctity and faith—rather, the caster must believe in their purpose and actions.

Elionians—not just Valkyries, but high-ranking clergy such as High Priest Montenon—are the only ones that we know of who can reliably wield Sacred Power, deduced from how Tarif Sorcerers and Kamasylvian Elves both seek the Elionian Church for its resources, such as its Holy Water. This indicates that there may be something unique to specifically Elionian doctrine that cultivates the mindset, emotional investment, and state of being required to produce magic as Sacred Power.

Furthermore, it seems that only those of the Holy College and ordained clergy may know exactly what this unique aspect of Elion doctrine or lifestyle is, given the fact that Elionians will amputate the hands of those who try to possess scripture without the required qualifications. For example, there is a goblin (there used to be two...) in the Chapel District accused of committing theft of scripture, and a nearby NPC comments that only priests should possess the text.

[​IMG]
    Q-26: Is all dark magic forbidden?
    A: No. Not all dark magic is looked down upon, either!​

Sorcerers of Tarif in Mediah are a perfect example of this. They undergo intensive, rigorous training to develop immense self-discipline and control. Although the Book of Cartian, from which they draw their practices, remains sealed away, some practitioners dedicate to growing their capacity to control highly destructive dark energy.

Even Calpheon looks upon the Tarif sorcerers favorably—Trade Manager Borum in particular—and welcomes alchemists into the Holy College for research (but not to practice). Though, perhaps this is due to the fact that Tarif is home to a flourishing magical academia—and the College, a cloistered one.

A vast number of Vedir Elves have also embraced dark magic as a solution to defend against future threats. The Ganelle Elves feel differently, however, and see dark magic as malicious and harmful to the environment.

https://bdocodex.com/us/quest/4560/1/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/5650/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6287/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6313/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6314/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6315/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6853/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6852/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6851/
    https://www.invenglobal.com/articles/899
    http://bdocodex.com/us/theme/5579/
    http://bdocodex.com/us/theme/5580/
    http://bdocodex.com/us/theme/5581/

[​IMG]

Q-27: Who can learn magic?
    A: Short answer: everyone! And everything!!

The more I look into BDO's magic, the more certain I am that how someone goes about producing magic intimately involves their emotions, beliefs, values, and individual spirits or identities. Thus, in essence, anyone can learn magic in Black Desert, especially simple magic across the board or smaller spells of various "schools," but what they can actually produce will rely heavily on who they are as an individual and what they subscribe to in an ocean of different doctrines, systems of beliefs and values, and various, intermingling energies in the world.

For example, we won't see just any Elf—one of the most magically attuned and capable of civilized people, but also one of the most mentally focused of people (perhaps to levels of neuroticism)—or other person producing dark magic of their own like the Dark Knights and Ahib unless they are immersed in a certain mindset and ideology. Alternatively, while Sacred Power is centered so much around thought, belief, and faith intertwined, other forms of magic may not require as much of an emotional or complete investment aspect to necessarily work. Sorcery, for example, requires cool detachment and control. And in practices that involve magic circles, which are more like magical symbology and numerology, the caster's emotions may not even matter all that much or serve as a hindrance—or detriment, as far as we know.

Of course, this also means it is possible for someone to possess the capacity to subscribe to all beliefs and mindsets... but what the heck happens to that kind of person?

[​IMG]

Q-28: Where are we in the timeline? What year is it?
    A: We're not entirely sure.

The roleplay community speculates that we are in the year 288. However, the last date on record in the canon is 286, when Kamasylvia reopened its borders. The year coincides with the Kamasylvia Part One Expansion that was released in Korea 2016 (whereas NA/EU received the expansion in late 2017).

Following this trend, 285 was the release of Valencia content (2015 in KR), and 283 was the game's CBT (2013 in KR). The developers claim that this is merely a coincidence, so we will have to see if the game progression and story indeed progress 1:1 with real-time.

Q-29: How do people tell time? Is there a calendar?
    A: There is the Elionian calendar, but it is uncertain if other cultures utilize it outside of Elion-worshipping nations.

Valencia has dedicated to astrology and marks times of year and seasons based on constellations observed in the night sky. For example, the Treant Owl constellation is said to herald the beginning of summer.

The Treant Owl may parallel May in the real-world Gregorian calendar. Clockwise, this marks the Shield as January and the Boat as December.

https://bddatabase.net/us/npc/45003/
    https://bddatabase.net/us/theme/852/

[​IMG]

Q-30: What about Goma Naru? The Elision Stone??
    A: No f***ing idea. «In progress.»

Other Lore Resources
    Black Desert Wikia Timeline
    Kamasylvia & Elven Lore Google Document
    An Analysis of Elven Mentality
    PROTOTYPE Black Desert Lore Google Site

#3 Nasche, May 19, 2018
    Last edited: May 19, 2018
  4. Nasche

«reserving this post for expanding on the FAQ»

5. Nasche

Changelog & Notes

«23 May 2018»

—Added two questions: 17.2 and 25-iii
    +Q-17.2: What do we know about Elven family systems?
    +25-iii: What is the difference between Sacred Power and Willpower? Can anyone use Sacred Power?
    —Completed 25-iii and 27
    +25-iii: What is the difference between Sacred Power and Willpower? Can anyone use Sacred Power?
    +Q-27: Who can learn magic?
    —Adjusted STATUS
    +Incomplete [6/66]: 16-i.d, 17.2, 19, 19-ii, 19-iv, 19-v
    +In Progress [24/66]: 16-i.c, 16-v, 16-vi, 19-i, 19-iii, 19-vi, 20, 21, 21-i to 21-xvi, 30
    +Completed [36/66]: 1 to 16, 16-i, 16-i.a, 16-i.b, 16-ii, 16-iii, 16-iv, 17, 18, 22 to 25, 25-i, 25-ii, 25-iii, 27, 26, 28, 29
    —Approaching completion for 21 and 21-i to 21-xiv.

Compiler Note
    I put this together about two-and-a-half weeks ago for the BDRP site's community... and I realized recently that the official Black Desert forums make it super easy to port information over—formatting and everything. Coincidentally, this is about the same amount of time spent (too much) to get to this current stage of semi-completion with LOTS of help. So, here we are. It's not done, but I'm relatively happy with it. And I'll likely keep working on it with other lore enthusiasts, bit by bit.

#5 Nasche, May 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  6. Alextrazsa

Alextrazsa Sorceress EU

About the sorceress lore.

The origin of the sorceress/sorcerer is the snowy alpine region.
    Some info about the awakening lore.
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6848/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6849/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6850/

Tarif means "sacrifise". (https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6662/) It was created 300 years ago. Cartian was leading the sorceress/rers away from the snowy land to mediah. The snowy land is ruled by the six hexe/witches and its the origin of sorcery. Most sorcerers/ess went insane after they left the homeland, because the homeland was the source of there powers. So they probably started using the forbidden magic. Why they left, i dont know.

Hexe Marie is probably also linked with the lore somehow. Because you find in the witch chapel a frozen sorceress.

Update: Here is the knowledge entry about the six witches of the snowland. https://bddatabase.net/us/theme/6812/
    Some informations why some npc´s are framed in picures:
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6341/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/614/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/622/
    About the Scuffin Letusa
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6611/
    https://bdocodex.com/us/theme/6353/

#6 Alextrazsa, May 20, 2018
    Last edited: May 24, 2018
  7. Stillwaters

Wow amazing work thanks to everyone that put this together and helped research. Im not into RP but just peaked in here and bam got kidnapped by your post and couldnt stop reading it thanks a bunch

von_sch and Nasche like this.
  8. Reverielle

This is a wonderful start.

I'm looking forward to learning more as you continue to fill it out, this will become a great resource for many I'm sure.
    Just as an aside (and I'm sure you're aware): Don't forget to add some of the other types of RP out there to your 'What is Roleplay' section, what you've got is great, but it's one-dimensional at the moment.

Well done, I'm learning a lot.

Nasche likes this.
  9. Magister

Thank you very much for the excellent work, which illustrates the complex history of BDO very understandable. I read everything enthusiastically in one go and I am really looking forward to the sequels. This will be the reference book for the history of BDO.

Whitrix, Nasche and Stillwaters like this.
  10. Ashnur

A very interesting work!

As a french player, it's very fun to discover that Heidel is based on a real city beynac-et-cazenac.
    The google street view of this town is indeed quite disturbing... it's like fantasy and real world are overlapping each other!
    https://street360.net/france/dordogne/beynac-et-cazenac.php

Nasche likes this.
  11. Nasche

Wow, did not expect this kind of feedback. Thank you all so much for reading and the kind words.
    This sourcing is going to help cut down a ton of time when we finally finish up the individual class lore. Thank you!

—Added changelog and updates.

12. Alextrazsa

Alextrazsa Sorceress EU

Np. I will update my post when I get more informations. There is more, but I didn't had the time to go in deep.

Nasche likes this.
  13. Alextrazsa

Alextrazsa Sorceress EU

updated my threat a bit

Nasche likes this.
  14. Wow, great job, really. :)

Nasche likes this.
  15. GM Salome

Game Master

It's so beautiful...
    stars.jpg

Also I've gone ahead and stickied it for you.

Reigne Irkalla, Nasche and Whitrix like this.
  16. Kroy

Hi and thanks for this amazing work :)

Does any of you have been able to use the knowledge about the black spirit and the ancient to enchant equipment with less difficulty?
    I mean ancient look like "good" black spirit to me, as if the stones and the hieroglyphs carved on them had neutralize the darkness of the black spirit.
    And if the lore of bdo isn't just folklore, wouldn't they be some places, like where the black spirit find the energie to evolve, that would give a higher rate or a full rate of success for our enchant? Cuz we use black stone to enchant, whch are "eaten" by the black spirit, and these black stone gives energy to him, so I guess when he have enough energie the enchant is a success.
    And I noticed (mb it's just rng but I don' think so) that if I do some quest and other stuff my enchant works at lower fs (not every time yes, but still) and the black spirit also feeds on brainwaves electricity, and the brain of our characters should be more active when are thinking/questing.
    So shouldn't the places of high energies for the black spirit gives him more energies to enchant? which mean less Blackstone used for us.
    Plus it may need a stone that grants control on the black spirit since he have a unlimited first for power.
    Or may be by making the black spirit a sort of ancient, like neutralizing his first for lighstone or something.

I'm kind of new some I can't actually really verify this but mb some of u can :)

#16 Kroy, May 29, 2018
    Last edited: May 29, 2018
  17. freymarch

HOLY SHI----....okay, i did not know someone made something like this. This is awesome. It's hard to find people who are actually interested in bdo lore then this popped up. This is sooooooooo awesome :D

Nasche likes this.
  18. Kroy

Hi, Small question: how do i get the black spirit control stone? ×)

Nasche likes this.
  19. Whitrix

Ambassador

I don't think this is the place to ask something like that. If your question is about something related to a game object or mechanic search what it's related to (PVE, PVP, Life Skills or a Class) and ask in their subforums.
    You can always ask in the New Adventurers subforum situated inside General Discussion.

Nasche likes this.
  20. Revalenia

Revalenia Lahn 62 EU

Amazing piece of work. Good job.

Nasche likes this.