1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A friend will join me for his 7 days trial, any advice ?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by jeremy sabourin, May 26, 2020.

1. jeremy sabourin

Hi guys,

As the title says, a good friend of mine agreed to give a try to bdo, he activated his 7 days trial and I really want him to have a great experience so he would buy the game and play with me for years.

As the party system and the exchange system are quite unknown to me, do you know how I can help him through his progression ? I have a 61 235ap Lahn.

I guess he won't have any pet nor value pack, right ? do you know how fast he can get it ?

I heard some grinding spots allows ennemies to loot more than one time, so you can kill them in group and duplicate their loots, do you know if I can find a list of the party grinding spots ?

Also, do you know any tips about how I could make him earn a lot of silver (I mean, more than if he plays alone) as we cannot exchange silver ?

Finally, at the end of his trial, if he liked the game, is there a way for him to upgrade his account or will he have to create another one buying the game ?

Thanks in advance !

(PC version)

2. Jinoro

Jinoro Shai 61 EU

Today, with some of the main quest mission u unlock several pets. U can win VPs and pets with the newbie daily rewards too. And he starts with 1 month of VP.

About other points... idk, but im interested too :O

3. Rhune

Say to run, as fast and far as could from game.

Now, no jokes. As is mention before me, said to your friend to do all quest that gives you advantages as could be more inventory slots, pets.. etc. After that.., let him to take all loot when both of you are at similar level. There is no much you could do for your friend also gives him tips and advices to progress faster. at the end, your friend must do or most of all by himself.

4. LightningFFXIII-4

If you were truly his friend you would had told him to stay away from BDO as far as possible lol. You wouldnt give your friend a free sample of cocaine would you?

Vortexii, Akatsubaki, Souda and 2 others like this.
  5. WhySoSeeryus

WhySoSeeryus Wizard 63 EU

you are not his (especially good) friend if u recommend him this game.

Vortexii, Souda and Fearless V like this.
  6. Holliander

I'd say find a good guild to join together and integrate into a community atmosphere. The game is secondary to that.

Eternal2nd likes this.
  7. Khondo

Such a toxic post. You have no idea what his friends interests are.

8. Kurano

Kurano Kurano Berserker 63 NA

I'd never advise a friend to play this game. I have literally warned people I consider friends (online and RL) against playing it.

9. DheReaper

DheReaper Ranger 62 EU

Tell him to enjoy the game, he has all his life in front of him to grind for end gear.

Read the story in the quests, look for awesome places, it is a beautiful game afterall, full of nice graphics :D

Reigne Irkalla likes this.
  10. Siigari

Siigari Shai NA

Honestly? Start a new character, party up and play it with him. Sure you'll lose a bit of experience from the party, but your friend will thank you for playing alongside him. And it will get him interested and engaged with the game!

11. Eryola

Eryola Ranger 62

The party system is easy... you just invite him and exp will be shared. None of you will receive loot though, as long as there is a 10 level or greater difference between your characters.

One of the very first quests hands out a 1day and a 7day VP iirc. Yes, you also receive several pets during the main questline and the daily login rewards for new players/returners contains stuff like that too, so there shouldn't be a problem at the start.

Those spots are out of your league.
    The easiest one is Mirumok Ruins with loot for 3 players, 240ap+ (Kutum). I don't think ppl will invite you there with your current AP and a leecher. Great xp though.
    Others are:
    Gyfin Rhasia, 270ap, 5ppl (crap spot anyway)
    Abandoned Monastery, 280ap, 2ppl (don't even try... you'll get butchered there)

The easiest way would most likely be to bring him to the Shultz Guards east of the Sausans, park him in a safe spot and powerlevel him to 52+ in like 1-2 hours. That way the group loot would be enabled and you can take him to any grind spot and let him pick up the loot, which is a lot more money than he can make on his own. Efficient would be to make him group leader and set loot to "Party Leader Aquisition", which means only he can pick up the loot (manually, since if he doesn't start with questing, he won't have pets). If he is worried about having a high level char he can't play by doing this, it would be best to use a twink char for this... I guess Shai or Guardian would be best, since those have natural higher hitpoints and can maybe survive a hit naked. But with the money made from this, he can easily afford his first weapon on his main then and should be able to quickly progress on his own.

Yup, you can upgrade trial accounts to regular ones without problem.

I just want you to warn your friend of a few things:
    a) He will need to spend cash in the next few months... seriously playing the game without a few upgraded pets, inventory slots, weight limit increases, a tent maybe and, depending on what you do, a VP, is a very disgusting experience. Tell him to expect 200€/$+.
    b) He has to accept that as much as many ppl deny it, this game has CLEAR pay-to-win content. Artisan's Memories, Costume Melting for Cron Stones and Valks' Cry, directly selling items in the market place for raw silver etc. are DIRECT ways to transfer RL money -> ingame power. He will always be behind someone who plays for the same time as he does, but additionally swipes his credit card.
    c) Pearl Abyss will most likely never be able to balance the classes in PvP and new classes will always come out overpowered first for that sweet reroll cash grab.
    d) He might really want to have his PC running 24/7 for afk fishing/horse training/black spirit training.

But if he is fine with those things, it's a wonderful game. A beautiful world with so much stuff to do you never did in any other MMORPG before.

Purr and Jinoro like this.
  12. jeremy sabourin

Thanks everybody for your answers, now I know what to do !

I'd like to add that I don't really agree about the commitment level the game is requiring.
    I have about 1500h on bdo and I know it's not a lot in this game, but it's enough to understand most of it, and as long as you have some self control, you don't need to spend a lot in the game, I usually just buy value packs, and I also invested in a few maids, but I got everything else in the marketplace (pets, outfits, books of the old moon...).
    As long as you have enough maids, inventory and weight expansions are not so valuable.
    For the money income, I used to let my pc run to afk fish, but the money I made afk fishing is so low I can make it in one hour of processing or grinding, so I prefered to save on my electricity bill.
    Also I used some stones given by an event to reduce my weapons durability consumption so I didn't buy a tent as I can grind about 1h30 before having to repair, which is enough for me.

In the end, if you don't want to be an optimal pvp player, you can just enjoy the content at your own pace, if you feel like you have to spend money, just remember it's a game and ask yourself if this amount of cash is worth it, if it will improve the fun you're having on this game. It's just my own humble opinion about the pay to win in bdo, but at least it gave me fun for hundreds of hours.

Again thanks for the time you took to help me, I'm grateful !

Jinoro likes this.
  13. Tjaranis

its a solo p2w game with little to no group content... you are not going to play together at all and his going to be **** geared unless he p2w (which only really matters in pvp or to speed up silver/hour gain on grind)...
    properly something to make him aware off.

Fearless V likes this.
  14. Allan1985

my advice is to move on and dont look back, you will eventually understand why.

15. DarkGG

DarkGG Darkiee DarkKnight 62 NA

Yeah bdo is in a very very bad spot. You and your friend won't have anything to do together till both are around 250ap to run in circles grinding mirumok. I hate to say it but i also bought my wife to bdo and honestly we are trying FFXIV and in 2 weeks inFFXIV i have played with my wife 10x longer then all 3 yrs I've been in bdo. Bdo is simply an afk outfit simulator with a horrible PVP to pass some time.

Vortexii likes this.
  16. Souda

Souda Warrior 61 EU

I find it ironic that someone with a ff14 logo wants to recommend bdo to his friend instead of ff14 lol

17. jeremy sabourin

Hey guys, a little update on this, instead of one friend 3 of them downloaded the game. I let them do their main quest til Mediah, giving them advice, then I joined them to play together.
    atm, one of them said "I understand why you're liking the game but for me it's an empty shell, life skills are not funny, and you're just killing random ennemies in a universe you don't even know, I read the quests in the beginning but it's just random rpg cliche know I'm spamming the R key, I can't feel any addiction in this game".
    One other said "Actually I thought you had plenty of stuff to do in bdo but from what I see you're just killing mobs to earn money and kill better mobs, everything seems pointless I might as well play Path of Exile".
    The other one is still trying, but he didn't tell me if he likes the game or not, so idk yet.

In the end, I have to admit I agree with what they said, I just can't explain why I like bdo, I really wanted to share good times with my friends on this but it will probably never happen, too bad :(

18. MoonDance17

MoonDance17 Lahn 61 NA

The answer is easy to understand: people have a different view in many things, in real life and in games. You cannot expect everyone, even your friends to like everything that you like. You will make new friends while playing the game if you join a good guild. Sadly this is not a group focussed game it is a single player grinding game.

19. jeremy sabourin

It's just that I logged in with my steam account, which I never update. I played FF14:ARR and I liked it, but I can't enjoy the meaningless open world. At the time, playing was logging in, finding a group waiting in a city, like a hub based game. I asked to some friends who still play it and they told me it's still the same today, so I respect ff14, but it's not for me.

20. Avonna

guard your wallet and credit cards with your life.
    the game can be fun . but they create these problems and then sell you solutions.
    so just stay focused.

Fearless V likes this.