1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Sneak Preview of the New Class "Guardian"

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by CM Yukimura, Nov 22, 2019.

1. 0Ninja

0Ninja EU

LETS GOOOOOOOOO ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Skjermbilde (7).png

ODB3698 and Ayowa like this.
  2. Woelfchen

Woelfchen Lightriver Sorceress 61 EU

Most people are hyped. I think the class looks uninteresting, as shown here (for me). Above all, I'm a little disappointed because we were told during the "Heidel Ball" that a male class will follow. We saw his weapon. The sword ... for all who remember. Of course, you can also ask in this case, if another far east fighter (?) is really necessary. But I would have been happy to see another man in the squad. Either way ... I remain open-minded and I'm curious how the new class will look in the end. We will see and I will try this class out anyway.

Ben Phoenix and Fateneko like this.
  3. ALO

ALO

Hmm from the lore the hint is demibeast so probably a druid, we will what are the powers of the light flame

4. TheTurtleman818

I have heard a lot about this supposed Valencia Twin-Sword Class but I can't seem to find any kind of hint or teaser for this class. Could I get link/timestamp to this?

Though I remember back when we where getting the Striker and we got a teaser of the "Next Class" a silhouette of the Lahn and a bit about her main weapon. Yet we got the Strikers female counterpart the Mystic before getting the Lahn. The Mystic was not even teased or referenced at all during the Keynote. I feel like Pearl Abyss does not typically consider Gender Swaps for existing classes a "new class", even when they are for all intents and purposes just that, and with the Guardian clearly being a Gender Swapped Berserker with Warrior esq. elements maybe it falls under that same sort of sphere?

If this Is indeed a Gender Swap for Berserker, this combined with the Archer gives hope for seeing more Gender Swaps of older classes like the Sorc, or Tamer in the future. Maybe I'll even see my Male Cleric and or Druid dreams come true. Not Holding my breath but a man can dream can't he?

No? Sorry.

#124 TheTurtleman818, Nov 25, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  5. Alterist

Senior Volunteer Moderator

Heidel Ball
    What people like to forget, or misread, is that this middle-eastern class is a new class, but not necessarily (especially now with Guardian) the next class.

6. reconkangas

Some people call Stryker and Mystic a gender swap.. for all intensive purposes they may have some of the same pre awakening skills BY name but they are as different as night and day..

Almost to the point they behave as 2 completely different classes even though they are both melee.

Even though we may have male and female of the same class type they are most definitely not gender swap with same skill set. Its almost so different to a point that a great WIZ cant play a witch just like a great ninja cant play a kuno and so on these classes dont behave the same.

I dont agree with this premise I would have to say that EACH is almost an independent class from one another and have to be treated this way.

7. TheTurtleman818

Yeah finally managed to dig it up after posting. They also teased a Orc Looking dude a Rhutum I think they called it, I don't remember seeing anything like it in game, though maybe it's just a huge rework/retcon for the races appearance as I think their are some hunched over guys called Rhutum somewhere in game. Which is just as likely to come out before the Valencian Swordsmen. The didn't really say anything other than that they wanted to release a "New Kind of Class" every year, which tells me they want to make very wild a different classes more than anything else. does worry me as I really want a male support class other than wizard, but as an artist I understand the creative desire to innovate and do things you have never done before. Though I can't really think of what way a middle eastern swordsmen would really differ from any of the existing classes in any meaningful way.

Unless and this is most certainly wishful thinking, it's a Duel-Wielding Cleric/Assassin. But more likely than not it's just got some crazy gimmick like controlling sand or something, maybe it's a Dervish, with Duel Swords and wind magic, maybe a Brigand, with some kind of "Stealing" mechanic, who knows, but if they are truly devoted to doing something original I think people might not want to get too sold on the idea being released any time soon. Of course if all we get next IS just a generic swordsmen with a middle east aesthetic I am going to laugh so hard.

Fateneko likes this.
  8. Ben Phoenix

There's much point with showing a type of class then release another type from nowhere.

9. TheTurtleman818

I agree, but my point wasn't that I think that Gender Swaps or distinct classes, but that maybe Pearl Abyss does not consider them as such angle due to some development reasons.

For instance they seem to think of the Shia as being a really unique class, despite their having been Elven Classes which are also nonhuman before. Though I can see why, being very different from both a model and playstyle perspective, this has prompted them to talk about adding a "New Kind of Class" every year. But if you look at the classes that exist, they have already developed all different kinds of classes haven't they? So maybe what he means is to develop one extremely unique class once a year instead.

It seems like they where more interested in trying to show off the fact that they had A LOT of new classes on the back burner and how they where trying to take a dramatic philosophical shift in the way they planned on developing/releasing classes in the future. Sounds interesting, though I do understand the disappointment, especially sense nothing about this class seems to suggest any kind of radical philosophical shift, but maybe this is the last of the old guard, something the company wasn't that excited about showing off, and thus really didn't care to reveal during the Keynote. Or maybe their is some radically different aspect to this class we have yet to see?

#129 TheTurtleman818, Nov 25, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  10. Traxxle

Regarding high heels, we do have costumes without them - the Silver Embroidered lifeskill clothes. So it is certainly possible to build flat-heeled costumes.

11. LesserHellspawn

If there's any hint at a unique twist to the class, then it's the demibeast hint. Maybe shapeshifting will play a role in some kind or form.

12. TheTurtleman818

That would be a bit disappointing considering the class is already a melee character (Well unless she uses that axe primarily as a ranged weapon) which would spoil a lot of the fun of having a shapeshifting class, at least for me. Shapeshifting works best when paired with something like a spellcaster or other ranged option, in order two encourage swapping between to drastically different playstyles, it's just a glorified super mode when applied to a melee character. Also that on top of whatever this Holy Flame thing is might make the class a bit too thematically busy.

Though considering that Demibeast is a term used to refer to all the different Animal "human" hybrids in the game, being specifically used to refer to the deer like race you see around Calpheon (Does that race even have a specific name I can't find it). Anyways while it's not too clear from the twext it seems ti me at least the Demibeast in the story is an observer looking down on the Guardian fearful of her. Praying she does not recover the Holy Flame, for fear of what her doing so might cause.

Call me biased but it sounds like a red haring.

#132 TheTurtleman818, Nov 26, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  13. Vorkrunne

Much truth.

I think her "armor" (or lack thereof) is fine, but the high heels look ridiculous.

I can't take her seriously trying to smash my face in while physically handicapped.

Spartan warriors hardly wore armor (mostly due to climate), but no one fights in high heels.

I get that it's a fantasy world, but it just looks dumb.

The OPTION to customize whether we have heels or not in character creator should be a thing. Let us move that slider all the way down, please. "Hover foot" looks awful without shoes as well.

Factorial, Schwertfee and Phoenixxx75 like this.
  14. Ben Phoenix

I also find it so silly that her toes are exposed. -________-

Joungf and Vorkrunne like this.
  15. Joungf

It seems that Asian male developer / designer have a serious issue with high heels ....
    They try hard to fit them into any female class.

Factorial, Schwertfee and Ben Phoenix like this.
  16. Vorkrunne

Same. I can overlook that in hopes that other boots cover her feet.

I find it easier to ignore than those high heel eyesores *gag*

Schwertfee and Ben Phoenix like this.
  17. Ben Phoenix

Indeed.

Joungf likes this.
  18. LesserHellspawn

High heels are a weapon themselves, particularly stilettos. Heck, the word originates from a weapon type.

19. Ben Phoenix

They should definitively add new skills then since the heels can be justified by the fact that they are potential weapons, not only cause you know, fashion. How about:: "Charging Heel in the A**", "Double Heel in the Face", "Heel Pick in the D***"? :D

Soory, couldn't resist.

[​IMG]

Edit: Anyway, the stilettos are called in that way cause they are high and thin and can remind of a stiletto, not because they are used as a weapon... People don't wear heels to go out there and use them as a threat. They don't.

#139 Ben Phoenix, Nov 26, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    Schwertfee and Joungf like this.
  20. ghoulz666

Most of them already have @#$%ing kick moves. At least the lahn did something creative with it. Wtf's the valk doing hurling her heels at enemies.

Schwertfee and Ben Phoenix like this.