1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Absolute Skills

Discussion in 'Witch/Wizard' started by Synchronicity, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Synchronicity

I tested most of the absolute skills for witch in PvP and TBH the vast majority of them are completely useless. Using absolute skills in PvE is 100% not worth it because of long cast time and small AoE, so I won't even bother discussing that. In PvP it appears the damage numbers are actually reduced compared to the tooltip, as absolute skills do not deal anywhere near the 2x-3x range of their counterparts.

An example of how absolute skills are barely stronger than the normal skills can be seen in this video:

Findings:
    All the absolute skills are complete garbage except Bliz, Meteor (?), Lighting, Freeze, Fog.

Good
    Blizzard
    - Old bliz with increased duration - good in mass PvP, useless everywhere else.
    Meteor - Slightly better than old meteor - can be substituted as a guarded long range AoE skill in mass PvP - 200% is good but you don't get to use it much. Not actually that good but usage can be justified in some situations.
    Lighting - Just for the 100%.
    Freeze - 5 hits instead of 3, more reliable CC.
    Fog - Decreased CD.

Bad
    MMA
    - Downgrade from non-absolute since it can't be spammed anymore. It was only good for DPS, but with a CD it's not good at all and having to swap back to awakening constantly is actually a DPS loss.
    Earthquake - Complete garbage. Low DPS and will get you killed in PvP.
    Fireball/Explosion/Residual Lightning/Lightning Chain/Lightning Storm - There are almost no situations where using these would be a good idea given lack of SA/guard. Lightning chain may be justifiable as a CC, but the damage is too low to be useful in anything except the most coordinated fights.

What are your experiences?

2. Jiggu

3. Requiiem

Fog and freeze are really good now, i am lvl 58 and others chars 60+ get freeze every 4/5 times.

4. Mana_Mafia

Freeze was already good, this made it much better.

I have loved using Absolute Meteor so far, it's an absolute blast.

Still 45 SP short of Absolute Blizzard.

Haven't skilled up the pre-awakening 100% yet...don't think I'll be using that ever.

Earthquake has very good damage now, so you're wrong about that part. It will definitely get you killed if you use it though. The entire animation needs SA.

5. Despins

Freeze damage is a non-factor because all its hits following the initial freeze will have its damage reduced to 30% of the value. This is why your freeze damage is so random.

But while at it, it's also notewhile to add that freeze resistances litterally does not work.

6. Noixi

I'm trying the lot of them too and will post my findings in a couple of weeks.
    TY for your post, it is very informative.

7. Lanre

I misspent some skill points so I've been stuck with absolute fireball explosion, lightning storm, blizzard, and meteor shower. Blizzard seems slightly better now in PvP, but I used it a lot before because people didn't notice the ticking damage and would die to it pretty often. Now opponents know to get out of its way sooner. Meteor shower gets me kills on runners every now and then when blowing up a group of people in nodewar. Previously it was pretty useless. Fireball explosion probably isn't worth the points, although it's nice to have another long range spell, but with ultimate fireball and the new rabam fireball it might get better (currently grinding SP to test). Lightning storm doesn't seem too worth it either.

However, the nice thing about these skills is that you get your longer range back and can insta-cast them every 2minutes, so it's good when you're too squishy to get closer to the fighting or when attacking from highground/walls.

8. FunkD

Outside of Bliz/Meteor/Freezes the only one kinda useful is actually EarthResponse when you're in pre-awaken stance and someone is going in on you (during heals/bliz cast). Chain Lightning is good for team play at times, even in RBF **** storms. (If you see a sorc/ninja/musa/mae trolling around spawn area, help the zerg out by casting chain lightning into the mess)

Otherwise, 100% meme-ing the pre-awaken skills in pvp will do nothing but get you killed. They are all too slow, unprotected, high-risk/low-reward, and actually arguably broken. I remember when Residual Lightning/Fireball Explosion was the thing to KD/Bound people in engagements, but they cease to do so 100% of the time now. Those skills broke at some point, and are still broken in absolute which is funny as ****. It's not even worth using a whole chain of them with Sage cast (old school chain->lightning->residual lightning->lightning storm hotbar buff), because the Meteor/Blizzard Sage attempt every 3.5min is too much better to try and pull off.

#8 FunkD, Mar 14, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  9. Shirolicious

I am indeed very disappointed with Absolute Earthquake, I had specced it and I am going to unspec it.
    I still need to test other things but don't have enough points to test all things (only 1745 points).
    I do like Freeze/Fog and Meteor so far.

10. Lanre

I just spent a few hours grinding and doing red battlefield after resetting all my skills.
    (Video: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/238704581)

Blizzard of course is must have. Meteor is also good.

Rabam Earthquake (50% crit version) + Ultimate Earthquake does good damage in a huge AoE every 30s. I think this could be great in PvP as well but I'll have to try it in node war tomorrow. I really liked it in PvE since you can nuke down all mobs in spread out groups. They both do about as much damage as cataclysm (954%x4 @ 50% crit [flow] + 954%x7 @ +30% accuracy vs 754%x10 @ 50% crit (rabam) followed by 1624% x 9 (ultimate)) so I feel like this could be a higher damage / higher risk option to cataclysm.

Chain lightning + followup spell are ok. I didn't see huge damage or anything from them, but since you're hitting a lot of targets at once you have a better chance of killing a runner. I think this is worth picking up for large scale pvp.

Ultimate fireball I'm not liking as much as at first. The rabam fireball though is good. 6s cooldown and it's an insta-cast ranged nuke that. You can follow it up quickly with fireblast for extra damage in PvP so that may be worth picking up if you have the points. I like the rabam a lot in PvE for killing off single mobs and hitting things on the run. The extra healing rabam might be better though, and if you go for that I wouldn't mess with any of the fireball spells really.

As for lightning bolt & the 100%, I'm not much of a fan. The 100% can be good in places like red battlefield where you don't want to use your 100% on bolide and get annihilated, but otherwise I'm not impressed by the damage. If these were less skill points or you have a ton of skill points they might be worth getting so you could round out a rotation of spells in staff form.

The biggest drawback overall I think is that using these spells you lose 10-20% accuracy compared to awakened spells, on top of all the other faults people have pointed out.