1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Add a Vertical Sync toggle to Display Options.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by ACanadianDude, Aug 26, 2019.

?

Implement Vertical Sync toggle which will disable the DXGI/DWM forced V Sync in windowed mode & FS?

1. Yes.

97.1%
  2. No.

2.9%
  1. ACanadianDude

https://www.reddit.com/r/blackdesertonline/comments/cuk7en/bdo_ultimate_performance_guide/
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cyLaDiPL_B6nOZw_qPE_wOGuoeRT-qddTjevTFoFBkg

As is evident in the link above, in order to reach maximum possible framerate for BDO (which in turn impacts your reaction speed and how the game handles animations - more info here: (youtu.be/NndgyJnLpDg) you need to use an older driver or an older version of Windows.

Because the game has forced vertical sync in windowed mode (where the GPU does not have exclusive privileges over the display of the window) due to the DXGI calls in a comment within the Reddit post I linked, performance is locked. In order to get around this currently, you need to either use a driver old enough to not support this DXGI call, or a version of windows that doesn't support it.

It would be greatly appreciative if a vertical sync toggle could be added to the game which could disable this FPS lock, which would benefit players of all different hardware configurations and software versions.

Please urge the developers at Pearl Abyss to add a toggle for vertical sync in the Display Options.

This has been posted to NAEU Feedback library here (https://community.blackdesertonline...a-feedback-library.293790/page-8#post-2280408) and Reddit here (https://www.reddit.com/r/blackdeser...4j/i_need_your_help_to_urge_the_devs_to_make/).

Please show your support on the above sections as well.

#1 ACanadianDude, Aug 26, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  2. Perseverance

This should've been fixed yesterday. I prefer playing with Full Screen Window mode, and switching to pure Full Screen is simply not something I want to deal with. We shouldn't have to be forced to use old GPUs with outdated, insecure video drivers just so we can play this game properly on our preferred settings.

3. Stealthe

I don't think it would help as far as reaction speed considering vertical sync caps you at your displays refresh rate meaning any extra frames you would not have seen anyways and as far as decreasing animation time the tests ive seen have all been mixed results.

And to add to your list of work arounds,having a display with a higher refresh rate would also work.

4. IlClaudialI

I too am stuck using old nvidia 390.77 drivers because of this issue. In a game where higher fps means shorter skill animations (regardless of how fast your monitor is @Stealthe ), this is a very important issue. Please fix this.

P.S. Also there is a known issue reported by a lot of players regarding periodic stuttering (microsecond frame freezing about every 30 seconds or so). This should also be looked into as i am 99% sure it affects all players but some notice it more than others. And it's definitely a game engine problem, nothing the player can fix.

Perseverance likes this.
  5. Perseverance

The highest refresh rate monitors on the market right now is only 240Hz, and even then, many people who play competitively use settings that can get as high as 300fps.

And honestly, a 240Hz monitor is over kill for playing the game itself. Even some eSports professionals are still using 144Hz. A 240Hz monitor is also a pretty huge investment, costing $400+ that might otherwise be spent on Pearls. That's $400 that Pearl Abyss/Kakao isn't getting.

All this just for the lack of a toggle? Really, both the players and the developers loses.

6. Stealthe

All the tests I've seen have been client side from the attackers recording which doesn't mean anything because what your client shows and what the server sees are 2 different things...show me a video of the same skill being used and a video of different fps on the attackers client side and a video of the client side of the one being attacked...the video of the one being attacked would show what the server actually seen otherwise all you would be experiencing on the client side of the attacker would be a nice dysnc

But if it is true then they are in fact the worst programmers in the history of making games the last thing they would want was an option to allow players to exploit the engines flaw to it's it's fullest potential...if they cannot fix the flaw in the engine then if anything they should be working on not allow anyone to go over a 60 fps cap.Movies are nearly always filmed at 24 fps because that is the rate most people cannot notice beyond so going over 60 is ridiculous anyways.The only reason 120 hz TV's even exist is because 120 fps is divisible by 24 fps which movies are played at and 60 fps is not divisible by 24 fps so 24 fps causes juttering when when a 60 fps display has to resync up every 3 frames.But on a game it isn't the case and its for the same reason that playing your game at 30 fps would actually be smoother than playing it at say 42 fps.Smoothness is about staying 30fps or more,staying consistently at the same fps and not jumping around and also being divisible by the displays refresh rate to avoid resyncing.

#6 Stealthe, Aug 28, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  7. deotrip

yeah pls! let me have max fps in all display options.

would also love to see a fps counter setting. dont wanna be going into my menu all the time to see my fps and i dont want to run another program for it.
    and a option to change crosshair/color too.
    bdo is the first game i play that doesnt have this stuff...

8. ACanadianDude

9. Saltyn

While I voted yes I'd just like to chime in with what would in my opinion be a better alternative for the game as a whole.

On a similar note as what Stealthe said animation framing shouldn't be tied to frame rate at all ideally, generally a lot of the complaints come from hardcore pvp players living on Opti-mode screeching about their 100+ fps needs so I'll approach from the opposite end. Micro stutters which seem to be tied to certain UI elements, changing your settings and occasionally through stream software (likely just a performance issue) are often the cause of things like: Players moving absurd distances during movement abilities, having unexpected camera turns and in the past(?) extending grapple duration's (seen in an older layvan video). These are all generally things that need to be fixed too and are all caused by the same problem that is impacting "high end" pvp.

While almost every class to my knowledge has "fps reliant combos" some classes are clearly disproportionately impacted such as warrior, where they can completely shift class tier depending on the player's frame rate. So while I think implementing v-sync options is probably for the best short term ideally they would look into fixing the frame issues and speed up the game in general. Even granting disproportionately impacted classes a higher or lower speed then balancing them accordingly.

Also want to add I don't agree with anything else Stealthe said, he seems to be trying to say the "we can't see more than 24 fps" argument without directly saying it which is horribly misinformed, I would like to have my uncapped frame rate even if the animation issues are fixed.