1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All the feedback PA needs on recent Wizard changes

Discussion in 'Witch/Wizard' started by Rai Asura, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Rai Asura

From Reddit - Posted by u/ReallyDontWantToMake

"Hi, I wrote this in response to a thread, but figured it was long enough to just make it its own. It's a lot of words on exactly what about the changes made the game less fun and less skill-intensive for me. It mostly reads as a list of reasons not to ever roll a wizard. A lot of this is wizard specific, but most of it can be applied to any class as a player of the game. Yes, I wrote a lot of words for a reddit post that no one important will read. Pls b nice we r all just playing a video game~

Wizards used to be able to trick the game into thinking they were a mediocre to good 1v1 class with good play and mastering freeze combos. Freeze combos were removed with the new systems (First with CC being removed from a lot of abilities, and then directly when they put freeze effects on the 2 CC limit.) Positioning and freeze combos were really the only skill checks on wizard. I spent a lot of time working on getting my freeze combos down, and it felt really rewarding to, for example, freeze a straggler hit by a stray knockdown to extend CC from afar to secure a kill. Or to finally stop being scared of (most) strikers in a 1v1 situation because I at least have a chance. That entire aspect is gone and there's nothing to replace it. The class just got dumber and somehow has even less to do.

Hellfire went from being one of our best abilities for damage and for engaging on people/getting close enough for a grab, to being a "If you touch this button at nearly any point you will instantly die" button. It has no use in group pvp, and it honestly doesn't really have one in a 1v1 situation either. Without it, it is much harder to engage or even get in the same zip code as someone for a reasonable grab opportunity. If you land a grab on someone, they are probably just being an idiot.

Similarly, Aqua Jail went from being a super useful ability for area denial/locking someone down, to "I dunno, use it on a KDed target even though it isn't even a down attack." Aqua Jail was super useful for, say, putting over a ninja to stiffen them if they ever left SA while comboing a teammate. Now it's just a super long cast that people can 100% walk through to grab you and turn you into a fish with down smashes.

Blizzard was made to split damage, which is essentially removing it from the game unless you really want to put a cancer slow on a group of people. I'll be honest, I hated blizzard anyway. Being slowed is awful and unfun. Meteor is a pretty good ability still.

A MASSIVE amount of the "Wow wizards do so much damage and get so many kills" comments stem from their 100%. 100% Bolide was an absolute house and (probably) responsible for most wizard kills in the history of the game. 100%s were essentially removed, and ours was nerfed for good measure anyway. It probably still one shots squishy targets but it's hard to know because of how rare you get it and how often it gets interrupted anyway. A non-100% Bolide doesn't do anything approaching threatening damage. It also doesn't CC now. It's just a button to press that looks pretty.

On top of all this, our damage has been bugged for 5+ weeks now. They removed AP scaling on our pets and our flows, which are a huge portion of our damage. Why in the world would they remove AP scaling on that? When literally the only progression in the game is "I got more AP and I hit harder now," why would you remove that? It seriously baffles me. We went 3 weeks with our pets not scaling and without the flat AP bandaid they gave us. During this time, the class was actually unplayable. We didn't hear a single thing about this from Kakao/PA except GMs on the forums saying "We're aware." Somewhere in this time frame is when most of my guild quit over the changes and I lost almost all of my interest in the game. Then we get a flat AP buff to our pets which helps out lower geared players, but players that are soft capped or above took a HUGE damage nerf.

And even now, our damage is bugged somehow. The most supported theory seems to be "If your flow damage doesn't crit, it does literally 0 damage to players" but I honestly haven't had the will to keep up with the game and the state of the class.

We got hit with a LOT of nerfs to every single aspect of our class. I have 256 AP, I have a lot of experience in sieges and NWs, I'm always on the leaderboards for RBF score, I know how to play my class well and I know the game very well. But I genuinely don't feel like a threat to anyone at all anymore. The class definitely needed some balancing, but man.

With all of our mechanics being removed, our damage being massively cut down, along with the other bugs/nerfs it feels like I've been cut back 50-60 gear score. This is a game about long-term progression. I've spent hundreds of hours working on gearing up and learning everything I could about my class. To have it all cut back or outright removed just makes the game feel awful and like my time (and money) was wasted. That part isn't exclusive to witch/wiz. I won't invest more time into the absolute headache of gearing up another class. I won't buy costumes and weight and inventory slots for a new character. I'll just log in less and less until I don't even realize I'm not logging in. Just like all of my friends that have quit."

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/blackdesertonline/comments/8sbkcn/wizards_and_the_recent_changes/

2. Nylin

And today they say this in the patch notes. And I would say this is to little to late.

• We are aware that revised Accuracy effects are not implemented properly and the fix is in progress.
      • The revised Accuracy effects are displayed with “Accuracy + n%” in the skill tooltip window.
    ※ Many of our adventurers have reported that Accuracy is not being implemented properly, including for the Witch and Wizard, and we went through an extensive review in covering all skills of all classes. As a result, we confirmed on this issue and we are working to fix it fast.

Typically for the Witch and Wizard, these two classes utilize many skills that are affected by the revised Accuracy and thus the issue might have been felt stronger.

We sincerely apologize for the extended review process and the inconvenience we have caused.

This known issue is scheduled to be fixed next maintenance. We apologize once again to all of our dear adventurers.

3. Syc

Syc

This is not a fix for the AP scale dmg.

4. Janus

Please Kakao, as was mentioned on the forum numerous times, please suggest to PA to simply base flow/pet damage purely on the character. No separate calculations needed, less maintenance work, less possibility for bugs. Also no risk of additional trouble later when the non-scaling of the +80 flat AP becomes insufficient for players above 253 AP.

Also the last 5 weeks shitstorm wouldn't have happened then, you would have earned 10s if not 100s of thousands of USD more. Easy fix for all those problems.

5. Veight

Can confirm, pearl faucet had been turned off because of this. Even my value pack has expired for the first time since launch.
    I'm living without just fine thanks to breaking wizard.

Mana_Mafia and Blusurfer like this.
  6. Janus

If I was a shareholder, I would be VERY upset about the money lost due to mismanagement of the dev/support side. Well, maybe for some people a couple hundred thousand dollars more or less don't matter, I guess.

7. Itago

Itago Witch 62 EU

Loss of income only count if you can see it. If this time last year was bad and we still spend money now, the statistics may not be in our favor.

Not to mention shareholders likely dont see any income chances for some time, its not like they sit with live updates

8. nolasigns

Accuracy should have never been an issue for casting classes that shoots an element the size of a wal-mart parking lot.

Caster classes should have glass cannon options in their builds. They should be able to be nuke happy and be able to produce mass destruction, but in turn, basically be torn in half with ease if caught off guard.

The reason we're at the bottom of the PvP cesspool in terms of 1v1 or even small group encounters is because it's a sacrifice taken to be mass destruction in large scale PvP content. That's literally been game mechanics since the start of caster classes and MMOs (remember the holy trinity days).

All this nerf down crap does in these games is turn everyone into virtually the same class with access to the same gear focused builds.

I've almost exclusively played caster classes in as many games as one person can fit into 20 years of playing MMOs, and I've always focused on glass cannon builds (more possible in games where character creation in terms of builds is also adjusted by attributes un-gear related) This is the first one where the weakest 1v1 classes are being put on the butcher block that will destroy their worth in mass PvP settings.

Best 1v1 classes gets nuked in mass pvp setting = QQ nerf wichards!

9. WhySoSeeryus

WhySoSeeryus Wizard 63 EU

they got this part right. and then some :D

10. Lemon Crush

Lemon Crush CreamLemon Witch 62 NA

They took the two most popular classes and basically bent them over. Yes they needed tuning but completely breaking them for over a month on top of everything else going on in the game. Well they lost ALOT of business over it. Mine included. It is defiantly too little too late for many players who have invested years into a character and thousands of dollars. we just cant be bothered anymore.

They could have done all this re-balancing in a non destructive way but they chose to use the 2 regions that pay out the most as test beds which was a major mistake on their part.

iller likes this.
  11. Noixi

Wow. Seeing Lemon Crush open the back door does not give me hope.
    I've come back Lemon, after a month away, and I wish there was some good news for a MMORPG alternative with a good mage class, but, there isn't.
    And I'm not seeing good with our class in pvp, now that I'm back.

Guess I won't be heading to the pearl shop any time soon.

12. nolasigns

This game became watered down because everyone wants to be king of the grind spot class. That's why people beg for wichards for node wars guilds. Everyone wants the class that's playable at the grind spots.

BDO is nothing but "spot taken wars" -

As far as older games I preferred the older platforms that gave the player more opportunities to build their characters through attribute systems.

13. WhySoSeeryus

WhySoSeeryus Wizard 63 EU

well, with the arsha bonuses, can you blame them?

14. Itago

Itago Witch 62 EU

Cant blame them for wanting to play a class that is good for 90% of the time, but we can blame them for complaining when we play a class that is good for the last 10% (even then, we are there to support the other classes so they become good at the last 10% also)

DISCLAIMER: 90/10% is taken out of thin air to highlight the diffrence between grinding and NW/Sieges

15. nolasigns

No- but we can blame PA for trying to cater to the whiners about it. I don't care about there being an OP class in a game. Generally, even in BDO, the best grind spot class was the worst siege/war class. Then there were the polar opposite class (us obviously) and then all the ones in between. I mean, 99% of the games i've played always had the one class.

As long as there is open-world PvP you'll have that one class, and everyone else will complain. Then, we recycle the theory of re-balance, until the classes we started, enjoyed, invested in, becomes a whole different class.

16. nolasigns

Even GW2- that scaled gears to equal strengths before any PvP is started, has class balance issues that jumped from OP class to the next. Generally it came down to how people were able to play them. Any game that has characters that are able to perform combos, especially. More often than not, devs create combo classes with the intentions in mind people would literally sit there and smash buttons. Timing being the chances for human error. But with software, and gaming pads, combos became easier, which would expose what classes are more OP than another - without human error- being an element.

GW being the prime example since gear advantages were not an element.