1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Altar of Blood - I'm not bashing it - But it is far from good/fun

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by Violor, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Violor

I've done a few runs now, and didn't get through stage 2. This is partially my fault as I had been drinking, but it is also the fault of the design.

A few issues that I think could be resolved with minor tweeks.
    1. stage 2 is a little overly hard
    2. the design makes it harder for small hit box classes (warrior, etc) but MUCH easier for HUGH hit box classes (mystic, etc)
    3. it is GROUP content NOT END GAME CONTENT
    4. WAY too much energy required

I'd say they could tweek stage 2 as if you're in a group with small hit box classes then this stage will be overly hard. As for a tweek to help out small hit box classes this would be much harder and sadly something that we'll probably have to live with.

As for the content itself. I have seen many many people call it END GAME CONTENT. Ladies and Gentlemen, no where in the description of Altar of Blood is it described as END GAME CONTENT. It is simply called group pve content. Even on the "roadmap content 2019 Q2" thread it is only called "new group pve experience". So please stop pressing your thumbs down on lower AP players. Players lower in AP have a right to complain as this was billed as "group pve". But for the cost of over 100 energy per attempt and it slaughtering groups in stage 2 when it will eventually progress to something like 20 stages, common guys that is ridiculous.

Now I know it WAS set at lvl 60 to enter which does IMPLY it would be "endgame" content. Then they changed that to lvl 56 to enter which does immediately IMPLY it is just "pve" content. So again bashing players complaints because they "got in over their heads" or "why try at 200AP" or whatever high roller jerk thing you want to say, think about what this content actually is.

We all know a lvl 56 that joins is NOT going to be good at it. They won't have enough flow skills. They might be gear carried on someones credit card account, but those are the 1% players and don't count into the build of a product.

My conclusion is this is a FUN new bit of content! But it needs a good tweek.

PS - I'm not super low scored. 235AP/290DP (tet kutum & dande) with 315 energy. But I do play Warrior lol!

Stillwaters, Hemuk, Two-Tu and 2 others like this.
  2. Rügenwalder Pommersche

stage 2 is harder than 3 and 4 - for whatever reason

i agree with the energy cost, id like if it would be slightly lower but its fine as it is

but overall - and that is just my opinion - its super fun and finally a reason for pve players to gear up

Sidina, MoZex, Sillan and 2 others like this.
  3. Smileybones

Smileybones Ranger 61 NA

I tried it a bit and so far my biggest issue is that the rewards are a bit disapointing.

Stillwaters, Akeno, Caylea and 3 others like this.
  4. Violor

I don't think that is a fair thing to say. PVE players gear up, but they don't gear up as hardcore as siege players. But this is NOT seige content this is billed as PVE content, therefore the build of this content should be based around that idea. If it were based on siege players they should have called it like that. Also, your comment is just a knock on a HUGE portion of the playerbase. You're saying that before this pve players didn't gear up. But of course they had to gear up before otherwise they couldn't hold any spot to grind in.

I do agree the rewards are pretty disappointing. When you can go gather with 100 energy and get far far far better loot. And I too could live with this content staying at 100 energy, but being honest to myself I'd think 50 would be better. As it stands now you can get locked out based on energy for such a long time. Play like one round a day, die on stage 2, wait 24 hours to try again if your group is fully energy empty.

Smileybones likes this.
  5. DarkGG

DarkGG Darkiee Sorceress 61 NA

Yeah my guild started, our first group was a lahn with 238/240/294 a warrior with 221/223/287 and me a sorc at 234/236/295 even with full villa crons and draughts we can't make it past stage 2 there just to much casters and the tower takes almost 5% every 2-3 secs then we get cc and die within 2-5 secs, I get it this mode can drop pen armor, but what you could do is stages 1-4 make it for people 180-240ap and around 275 do then stages 5-7 do 240-260 AP then 8-10 261+ this way you can always push. Then yeah i would do 50 energy to start it then 15 energy per wave. Also make it so any party member to start the waves instead of only party leader

Phoenixxx75 and Violor like this.
  6. sunokelly

Feels like AOB is more like pve dps test. No straleghy, no coordination, no great loot. Everything feels unfinished and boring af.
    Just Make us able to use normal weapon in Savage rift. How could they mess up such a simple thing like this.
    I didn't even realiz that i actually miss Savage rift till this thing came out.

#6 sunokelly, Jul 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Life2v and Violor like this.
  7. GreyRebel

GreyRebel DarkKnight 62 EU

Well sadly , most of the things in bdo is like a second job ! The only difference is you lose money when you work here instead of gaining

Kynreaa, Allan1985, Lefteye and 2 others like this.
  8. Crimson_Scarlet

Crimson_Scarlet Shai 60 NA

Made it up to lvl 7 and getting 1-2 caphras from the box was a pretty big turn off from going on. As a group we just didnt feel with the current rewards justifying the amount spent to particapate.We had a pretty decent composition to 2x 265 kutum witch/dk and 271 kutum zerk.

Villa buff + cron meal + church buff + elixirs + 400+mana/hp pots then there is the energy cost of retrying when failing.

Though it wasnt a bad experience was with guildies and using comms was pretty fun in that aspect figuring things out but in the end we just wanted to try it out at least once and it wasnt for us.

While it wasnt for us other guildies continued on figuring out tactics getting past 7 and getting wiped on lvl 10 end boss, in saying that the later levels are far more gear taxing and tend to require a meta party on top of being stupidly geared. The one who was doing lvl 10 was 284 kutum with party average gs 630+ they had fun at least.

Stillwaters and Violor like this.
  9. Rügenwalder Pommersche

i never said they didnt gear up - but there wasnt any particular reason, expect moving on to better spots to make more money per hour - to get better gear - to make more money per hour - etc
    the gear was never used for anything besides gearing up, it doesnt matter if u grind nagas at 140 ap or manshaum at 240 if u dont need the gear for anything

now there is something where u need gear to compete - just like pvp - so thats nice for pve players

PS: u dont even need good gear to get to stage 4 - 235 kutum is enough a group in my guild did it with less and they always had 70% + left

Sidina likes this.
  10. Rügenwalder Pommersche

i mean, even if its not great money, even a potential loss most of the time - aslong as u had fun i think they time was well spent

Crimson_Scarlet likes this.
  11. Violor

I understand what you are saying but as for the gearing part I still disagree with you fundamentally. Only on I believe what you are saying is lifeskillers vs pve vs pvp. But that is your opinion and I can have mine.

As for the getting to stage 4 with 235AP I'm fully aware this is possible. However it is more possible with certain groups. If you have classes with tiny hit boxes it will be much much much harder. If you have all DKs and Mystics well then this suddenly becomes MUCH MUCH MUCH easier. This to me is a fundamental flaw in the design of this product. They basically built a system that tells certain classes "TRY HARDER" and other classes "walk right through no problem here".

Life2v, Phoenixxx75 and 2Cents like this.
  12. DarkGG

DarkGG Darkiee Sorceress 61 NA

Honestly that's very disheartening since what we really need is group content that can be used to help people gear not content that only super geared can even attempt

Stillwaters, Phoenixxx75 and Violor like this.
  13. Violor

I really liked your post as it was such a great honest post from a higher end player. Thank you for being a good person and not a toxic a$$hat.

I had to reply to this because man seeing your prep list adds to the sweet jesus this is too hard factor. I mean good god all those buffs. That doesn't really seem to spell "pve content" to me. That buff list spells "NODE WARS", and that is a problem.

Sure the content should progressively get harder but DANG! If they leave it like this stage 20 will make people go nuts.

Stillwaters and Sillan like this.
  14. Crimson_Scarlet

Crimson_Scarlet Shai 60 NA

There were a few things that I didnt mention in the previous post being the use of med kits/resurect (witch/wiz skill) and for the later levels the use of whale tendon potions and perfumes of courage.

As the stages go on the mob mechanics hasten as well as a variety of mobs themselves
    -slow walker types
    -runners
    -tanks
    -ranged
    -range dps chicken did stupid dmg
    -all the above combined
    -small bosses gate keepers
    -bosses (hexe marrie, giath , red nose , cadry gate keeper etc)

On top of the variety of mobs was the wave coming from multiple directions.

Communication tends to be pretty key for co-ordinating ablilities, mob priority as well as situational awareness on you party ie whos nearly dead, whos kiting and such.

LIke I said above its still some what fun but it is gated and requires some tweaking which will most likely be done in the future.

Stillwaters likes this.
  15. ghoulz666

Just remove the garbage defend the altar BS and turn the mode into a classic PVE arena. THEN it'll be fun.

It's not much of PVE when half of the enemies simply ignore you and destroy something that goes down so easy. It's just ultra uber lazy gated design.

Life2v, Thranduil, DeathRains and 2 others like this.
  16. Violor

I keep thinking about your post and the more I think about it the more I laugh about how right you are.
    Let's compare:
    Rift - zero energy, needs no prep (pots, buffs, etc), decent loot, & super low chance of boss gear from any boss that spawns.
    Blood - 100 energy + 20 to start, needs tons of prep, bleh loot, super low chance of any type of gear
    *bonus note: after a rift you have your energy to go chop trees or something for a chance for more crap vs after a blood you might not have crap left in energy.*

People averaged about 10-15mil from a Savage Rift. I beat that Altar of Blood is averaging far less unless you go much much further, but you spend a lot more in getting ready (whale potions & perfumes of courage aren't cheap).

17. ZyZy

As I see things someone will figure out how to beat each wave in an optimal way and post a guide. People will watch and apply those lessons learned, adjusting for their class. There might even be some tweaks by the game designers, but overall what seams impossible now will become routine. If nothing else, players will learn to combo, dodge and use tactics or continue to fail even when they have the correct gear to challenge a wave level. Such is the nature of things. As to loot, it's a lottery. You'll never make a living off of the drops, but one day you may get rich. My opinion - if you enjoy doing it, then do it because you do enjoy it. Do it long enough, and you'll being having fun one day and get rewarded with something shinny too.

18. Tjaranis

not supposed to be fun, its supposed to push p2w behaviour and give you yet another incentive to swipe that credit card until the bank closes it -_-

such disgusting evil unlikeable, no positive quality, immoral etc. things (can't call them humans at this point, because we can't associate the term with such disgusting acts and behaviour... they are just evil things, like cancer, which needs to be removed permanently...

19. Nagasaki

Nagasaki Ninja

Love this. This is why we’ve been saying that dungeons don’t work in this game. Or instanced modes. The rewards would never work out. If they are too good, grinding will suffer.. everyone will just be laying in their bed recovering energy and spam the instance. An even bigger AFK mess.

You can’t expect rewards like SA had for example.. the crazy gear boxes is already a lot.. in theory you could beat level one only, get lucky once on your most **** geared alt, and get a pen armour box.
    Granted this is RNG, but the possibility is already too much for a reward.

20. Sheky

Sheky Ranger 62

Not a fan of the game play. It's cheap. The mobs can knock you down but you can't do it to them. So it's a pure DPS check.

I really dislike game mechanics where it don't follow its own rules. It's lazy design to create artificial difficulty.