1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An Open Letter to the BDO Team

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by ergo_sum, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Lomacs

Lomacs Lomacs Tamer 61 EU

i would like to see also an answer about this thread from them...
    but unfortunately i don't expect nothing from them after seeing their progress since the release of this game.

2. flukeSG2

flukeSG2 Tamer 62 NA

I don't think there is, unless you happen to be looking at one of their user pages and catch them in the act of viewing it recently. Which is why I suggested we @ them until they respond, because up until that point we should just assume this has been ignored like many other threads asking for a response.

3. ergo_sum

What do you mean "@ them?"

4. flukeSG2

flukeSG2 Tamer 62 NA

5. Amarenda

Amarenda Talshani Witch 62 NA
    Ambassador

Hope it is ok to add this here.. I don't want to start a new thread if having them in a collection is better:

Last game my husband and I played for 16 yrs
    number of games I have played online 2! Counting BDO.
    So saying that you can see how devoted we are to a game. BDO feels like a place we could be at for years to come... if it lasts years to come.
    Its still to me a new game with a lot to come that will keep it around awhile. But will the players stay?
    The rng has caused a lot of people I know to leave. Sometimes only a few months. But with the T9s I see people's frustrations much more.
    Being I am part of the horse community and know many many of them. Frustrations that aren't healthy for people mentally and physically.
    Why? Because if you fail too many times at something even though you work very hard you eventually think something is wrong with you. Yea you... not the game.. your account... your luck.. etc.
    So when thinking of other areas in the game that people fail crazy amounts of times you can see where if another game comes out that is rival to BDO in looks, content, etc, but has little rng, what will happen? Honestly, I believe by then people will be so shell shocked from the fails of rng here they will gladly run to it.
    I also feel as if Kakao doesn't care about BDO. As if they know another game rival will come out for NA/EU that is not rng based and that people will most likely run so why bother. Keep putting content out, make it exciting every few months so people will stay or come back after a break.. but work on other games so when that rival shows up there is no lose. They will have other games to bring in the money. I guess I started thinking this when I saw the other games they were working on yet BDO was at a stand still waiting on content that was very late.
    I want this game to succeed for another 10+ yrs! I don't want to start over some where else. I love the GMs I've personally spoken with. I have NEVER had bad support when sending in tickets. Always very fast and helpful, even if they can not resolve the issue. During LARGE ticket times I have had long wait times. And now know why so I am always trying to help when I see people freaking out cause weeks passed and their tickets haven't been resolved. I've done my best to help thin the burden to GMs by helping people with problems that would probably end up in a ticket. (ie, making notes of issues I or others have had that were resolved without sending in a ticket) And then I add those to discord for people to read.
    I know the GMs don't run the game. They are our link to the game. So I would never treat them horrible for trying to help. I'm pretty sure they don't know more than what we know but they have a large problem sheet to refer to as well. Why do I think this? Not because I know. Because I believe they aren't told extra (like what's on patches until its emailed to them on Wed after maintenance) because Kakao doesn't want them to have more future knowledge than us. Why? Because they DO talk to the players. They are human. They make friends. Kakao doesn't want them giving up the secrets on purpose or accident. No I have no proof. But I've run a game shard. Been a GM. I know the mindset. So that's my best guess as to why.
    This is why people see me defending GMs more than once. I don't defend the game. A lot that upsets me about the game. I don't defend those who actually make the big decisions. Because I have never seen one speak and try to comfort the community. They don't stand up and take blame for issues, etc. That's what the GMs are for right? Wrong.
    Well that's my 2 cents on the game and a couple of its problems. I do hope we are all here 10 yrs from now. I have heard people here talk about how they remember their mom playing the game I use to. I hear my kids talk about it as some special time when they were growing up. Playing it with us. I hope one day to hear kids who are now 5 talking about BDO like its some special place where they grew up playing with their parents as they are playing BDO in their 20s. Most of my guild are my kids ages. So I have the time alive to know how things could end up. And I hope BDO ends up on the top of that Good OL Days list.

Thanks,
    Amarenda Talshani

Nyrante, Ventesa, Auralexia and 4 others like this.
  6. Vanadiel

A lot of people keep calling this data a secret.
    Fact is it has always been common knowledge, and even acknowledged by the hoster and developer, that the game has and uses hidden stats.
    That is hardly the definition of a secret.

Now that the actual stats are out in the open, all of a sudden it becomes an issue.
    And we all know why that is: revenue.
    It has nothing to do with gameplay or game experience improvement.
    It simply has to do with good old USD.

I just wish they would be plain honest and state that is the reason why they pursued this, and not because it was a TOS violation.
    They are hiding behind the TOS to avoid having to explain this any further.

7. CM Yukimura

Community Manager

Dear ergo_sum,

it is an immense pleasure to see such a passionate and detailed feedback. I feel very happy when I see it happening this way.

Unfortunately, we cannot share those details since we also are not aware of all the hidden mechanics which have not been revealed by the developers. We also know how important is for the creators of the game to keep this method, and for this reason, we respect Pearl Abyss' decision to hold some mystery behind the curtains.

I personally think that when you can calculate precisely stats in-game and all its content, it becomes lame, boring and will cut down all the possibilities, translating it into "don't think, just do as anyone else". We already have the same Boss armors which are BiS and grinding spots to occupy in the game. I would like even more differentiation among players for end-game gear, and still, I can see BDO offering the best possibilities to be "unique", I'd also say thanks to that "mystery". Of course, you would say "yeah, but at least show us something", yet there must be a good reason why the developers wanted this way, right?

I know some of you could disagree, and I fully understand the frustration when something is not like I think I would prefer, but I also acknowledged with time, that there is always more to learn from something we don't immediately get, and eventually its reason is the best discovery.

That being said, we send weekly reports with the best feedback we can gather during the weeks in our forums, and we'll keep doing so.
    I am very proud of users with this mindset, I hope there will be more threads like this in the future, and I will do my best to address this letter to the developers' attention, this is the least I can do.

Thank you all again for your precious collaboration.

LordLeo, Amarenda, Moustacheo and 8 others like this.
  8. Vanadiel

If this really is as you describe, you should consider removing the hidden stats and replacing them with stats that are randomly assigned at the time the gear drops.
    Diablo uses this system. This way you can please both sides of the table.

You remove the hidden stats, while at the same time there is no gear with the same stats.

9. Andaro

Ambassador

I know this mechanic very well, and I can testify that it does keep uniqueness and variety abundant. It also provides extra gear in the market for other players as you search for that combination of stat rolls that makes you happy.

All of the stats are sealed....and many games use this mechanic where you have to unseat an equipment piece generating random stats

It's another RNG, but not an "evil" one.
    The problem is that it would require an entire rework of the gear system , because our current system is coded with set stats allowing each piece of gear a unique identifier (ID#) in the database, versus the system mentioned above which only offers a single identifier with the data being held in the players data table.

I can also say from previous experience this particular design was heavily abused, but a lot of things have changed over the years so I'm sure they could make it work.

Gear & Accessories.

10. LogicaI

Unlike some employees the reason i like you is because you atleast make your opinion known. there is usually no bs with you.
    If only others could be the same,and only the developer could learn from this attitude.
    Unfortunately there are not 10 yuki's at p.a

LordLeo, Amarenda and CM Yukimura like this.
  11. Vanadiel

Well, maybe we can start with let's say necklaces for this system.
    If players like it, they can start with the other items.
    This way it will be gradually phased in, and there will be plenty of time to see how it works in reality.

Even if it goes wrong early on, they can revert all necklaces back to their original stats.

It would also give some more incentive to grind away for items, and would fit in with the node development upgrade that is planned, giving you more chances of item drops.

12. Xenon

Xenon Kallitren Ninja 61 NA

They do, and then they talk about sweeping chimneys for energy.

13. Pavo

I want Balance.....

I want Differentiating Builds....

How is this not a contradiction?!

WTF?!

Also, to keep the contradiction theme going, how are we supposed to verify stuff that we think we have figured out?!

You guys act like this is ezpz, yet every single thread that shows "test" devolves into arguments because there's no verification.

It's one thing if I figure something out, and than you guys verify that test, but this does not happen.

14. Andaro

Ambassador

in this system, (and I'm speaking from another time, another game(s) ) it was also possible to combine several pieces of of the same gear to "reroll".

For instance take all the excess Manos ruby necklaces that no one wants....via said system not only would each one have random stats (from a pool) upon creation....all the ones no one wants could be combined into a blank necklace that could be rerolled from the same pool of stats available to that piece.....

Actually I think this subject matter deserves its own thread in the suggestions forum. Would you care to start the ball rolling there?

15. Vanadiel

Added a new one to suggestions forums.
    Hopefully someone reads it.

It could blow some new life into the whole gear thing.

16. Windx15

lol probably one of those percentages where is goes 0.0000000000000001 increase of a drop chance for each node lvl increase

17. DubsCheckum

Who cares if the game is unplayable by so many people due to server/connection issues.

18. Wyvinters

Wyvinters Sorceress NA

Absolutely dude. 100% They also forget that Ashes of Creation will destroy them eventually.
    Never seen the head developer communicate with his playerbase/community so clearly. Steven already wins for me.

19. JillValentime

JillValentime Valkyrie 61 EU

AMEN ; +1

20. JillValentime

JillValentime Valkyrie 61 EU

Just a quick counter example cause what you said is totaly wrong : all stats from item are know on League of Legend ==>
    Does that make everyone do the same build? - NO
    And it's almost true for each game ever made. : Diablo III have PLENTY of stuff but everyone chose what kind of character they want to build ! Shall i build crit? or build more for DPS on the long term? Maybe i could make an evasion/escape build? or one build pure armor ? etc...

Stop hide behind lies : having clear data give us the choise and by hidding them you just make everyone rushing for the gold/boss stuff because "it's the more complicated to get; so it should be the best-in-slot"