1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone notice the decreased grass amount?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by Jarvan, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Jarvan

Everywhere I look, I see bald spots, don't remember grass being this ugly. I play on remasted and it just looks bad

[​IMG]

#1 Jarvan, Aug 3, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    Zev likes this.
  2. v.klishev

v.klishev Striker 62 EU

From patch notes:
    Maybe that has something to do with it.

Mowed that pesky grass to fix the graphical issues they caused in various areas including Calpheon Castle, Treant Forest, Ibellab Oasis, Loopy Tree Forest, and Trent.

• Fixed the issue where the grass near the Calpheon Castle was floating in the air.

• Fixed the issue where the grass near the Treant Forest was floating in the air.

• Fixed the issue where the grass near the Ibellab Oasis was floating in the air.

• Fixed the issue where the grass in some places around the Loopy Tree Forest was floating intermittently.

• Fixed the issue where the tip of the grass was intermittently invisible in the surrounding areas of Trent.
    Won't be surprised if they overdid it :D

sunokelly likes this.
  3. Jarvan

can anyone else confirm the change no their pc too?

4. Allan1985

"Fixed" xD

5. Vanadiel

While I did not notice this, I did notice the amount of pop ins and the overall frame rate seemed to be better.
    With missing grass and maybe other missing things, that would explain what I noticed.

I would say it was done to increase graphical performance.

6. TwilightAngel

In the latest Korean patch update it states that they're doing some performance fixes to the server aka optimizations

So we might see some changes..... But this also doesn't mean it won't mess something else up

7. KatieXKhaos69

The grass is fine in my game, and I play remastered too . Maybe it comes and goes.. Kinda like when the trees at Polly's were sometimes half white blotches.

8. Jarvan

Honestly, this is bugging the hell out, grass used to be lush, now its just small patches of grass here and there.

[​IMG]

Zev likes this.
  9. GamePois0n

GamePois0n PootyPoot Ranger 61 NA

probably to improve overall game performance, gotta start getting ready for gameguard's extra performance cost

Souljester, Naho, Draconnix and 4 others like this.
  10. Darlgon

Pretty sure it is a seasonal thing , like the flowers and the roses. The core game world looks pretty bare when they portray hot dry summer days compared to those event decorations.

11. Eonian

Remastered makes metal look better, and that's it. Everything else looks either worse or very bad. And can't be adjusted at all: it's take it or leave it.

Meanwhile on "highest", which is a lower setting (Graphics vs. "High-End" Graphics sections) by the way:

highest-01.jpg

highest-02.jpg

highest-03.jpg

highest-04.jpg

Of course this is a 80% quality JPG, in-game is smooth and crystal crisp.

If you mind the foliage, grass, water and everything else, avoid remastered mode. Also this is with Vibrant photo filter because the colors are poor at default, though Vibrant adds too much saturation and there's no in-between, that's why Gamma is adjusted to +50 and then reduced the extra brightness with Contrast set to +25. These values may look different on another screen so play around.

12. Eonian

Here a 8k sample in PNG this time:

highest-8k sample.png

That's 1.28MB just a part of screen, just shot, latest patch and everything, since the above JPG lost so much detail.
    This shows the grass and foliage is amazing in BDO.

Zev likes this.
  13. Vanadiel

While it might be amazing, it will come at a performance cost.
    BDO needs more graphic settings, so you can tweak the performance properly.

14. Jarvan

Of course if you take a example at 8K its going to loook crisp...but are you playing in 8K, and even at 8k, the grass still has tons of bald spots, which wasn't there before the recent patch. And I bet most people play at 1080-1440p, so

#14 Jarvan, Aug 4, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  15. Eonian

IMO Remastered mode should look best, but doesn't. Try to switch to "highest" (is lower than Remastered mode) and compare.

It's not that there are "bald spots", that's normal, but how it's blending and contrasting, that's bad (only in Remastered, looks fine with those few bald spots in Highest IMO, always were those there).
    Bald spots are normal, it's how grass looks in nature, except the "artificial" grass lawn or something.
    Could be that there is less grass in some areas though, but isn't noticeable on highest.

Of course everyone picks a graphic mode they like more. Could be that there is less grass now in Remastered mode, I just don't know that, and I like how the Forest looks on highest, but not in Remastered mode.

I included the 8k just to show the "highest" mode type of grass more clearly. Should have placed side by side Remastered and Highest to compare, but lots of work, easy to switch in-game and check and compare same spot.

16. Jarvan

One way or another, its something they did to remastered mode, could be due to that they "added reflections to trees and grass on remastered" in the most recent patch, but I'm sure they rolled the feature out without testing.

I was perfectly happy with how the game looked last week, but sad that they keep making downgrades to the highest graphical setting. Coupled with slow content releases and the impending gameguard implementation, theres little incentive to invest my time honestly.

I made a thread in bug report hoping to get a confirmation on any chages, but they'll probably just give a copy-pasted reponse saying they will forward it to the devs...

Im downloading global lab and going to go a comparison. But I'm confident they made some downgrades graphically

#16 Jarvan, Aug 5, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  17. Nagasaki

Nagasaki Ninja

Well those spots are pretty old by now. Aging causes bald spots. FeelsBadMan

18. BloodLeshen

I never even noticed grass BUT I play on low siege mode and since I lack AP I grind Valencia so maybe that's also why I never seen grass. This is a big concern probably if you don't see grass.

It could be all the donkeys they recently added. Donkeys do that to grass sometimes

Grammatolo likes this.
  19. Felyni

Felyni Tamer 61 NA

Looks fine/realistic-esque to me.

[​IMG]

BloodLeshen, Dan Hot and Darlgon like this.
  20. nolasigns

When I'm playing the Shai, you cannot even see the top of her head in most areas.