1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are Olvia Servers Really Needed Anymore?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by Yulanda, Jul 15, 2019.

?

Are Olvia Servers Still Beneficial to New Players?

1. Yes - Leave Olvia as it is

34 vote(s)
    43.0%
  2. Yes - And Implement a Mentor Program

11 vote(s)
    13.9%
  3. No - And Implement a Mentor Program

13 vote(s)
    16.5%
  4. No - Just Turn it into a Regular Server

24 vote(s)
    30.4%
  5. Please Create a Guild Recruitment Channel

12 vote(s)
    15.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Yulanda

Yulanda Sorceress 61

First I'd like to state I am not Anti-Newplayer - quite the opposite.

Currently Olvia does not allow a character progress beyond level 58.99, provides and permanent 100% xp boost and has World/Field Bosses disabled. It's purpose is to provide an environment for new players to learn the game, and returning players to re-orientate themselves if they have been absent for more than a 30 period, but how well does it really serve that purpose?

Currently the rate at which even a brand new player can reach level 58 almost seems absurd, and the permanent 100% Combat XP boost actually detracts from people questing and learning about the game. They're so focused on getting the most out of that limited boost, they’re smashing out the levels while ignoring the majority of the game content. While choice is always important, this doesn't serve the new player well in the long run, it often shifts the responsibility onto others to repeatedly answer the same questions about elements of the game, that should have been explained through following the quest line.

That brings me to the fact that Olvia isolates new players from potentially suitable guilds than can provide that support for them. Ideally, I'd love to see a cross-server recruitment channel implemented so server chat isn't constantly spammed with guild ads, but as it stands, there are guilds which have alts accounts they rotate through 30 day cool downs just so they can get access to recruit on Olvia and help new players.

It makes guild missions, contract renewals and server hopping to help new guildies a pain in the ass because people are reluctant to move away from Olvia due to the somewhat misplaced perception that it is safer. (I see more toxicity and ganking there than on regular servers) or because they have secured a grind spot and long term players can't switch to Olvia if they need support or want a hand grinding.

Olvia chat is well...I'd rather drink toilet water from a public restroom that have to endure that for more than 30 seconds at a time, and while there are some great people that try to help, mostly it's not a beneficial resource to new players genuinely trying to ask question and learn. It's often a confusing mess of misinformation which unfortunately is coming from existing players who have taken a break for a couple of months and not kept up with changes that have been implemented.

Rather than isolating new players on Olvia, perhaps it time to consider opening Olvia up as a regular server and implementing a Mentor chat channel that is locked down to new players and to "Mentors". Mentor status could potentially be unlocked through achieving lv 60+ in a given class, having played for 12 months straight (no 30 day break) or achieved Master level in a given Lifeskill field. This would allow new players to get accurate information from people who have a long term overview of the game, while being able to interact more easily with other players in the larger BDO world.

#1 Yulanda, Jul 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
  2. Draconnix

Draconnix Berserker 62

First you are wrong, it's lvl 58 and 99%
    Second I think olvia should only be avaible for new players, not returning ones.

Maginha and Stillwaters like this.
  3. Yulanda

Yulanda Sorceress 61

A typo, thank you for picking it up

4. Ned Sheynji

Ned Sheynji Sheynji 62 EU

No need to apologize. The points are valid.
    I can see having 1-2 olvia servers. Being a little carebear is fine. But not 8.

Although the boost is not limited at all. You have the same boosts on a regular server on weekends. And half of it during the week at rush hours.

The best solution would be not even telling new players that olvia is special. Just throw them into the olvia server for a month and dont tell them about the EXP Boost other than the lil icon on the left upper corner of the screen. Then after 3 weeks you can start RPing and tell them in 7 days "your journey into the wild west begins" or some garbage and remind them that they will have to change channel then.

I guarantee 90% of the players wont even notice the EXP drop.

5. Taeshien

Genuine new players don't do this, that's more of a returning player thing. I remember when I first started playing and I didn't XP rush, I was too involved with learning the 80 billion systems present in BDO.

I think the isolation from the hardcore players helps insulate them from a bit of the shittery. If they are an MMO veteran and get themselves up to speed and want a node war guild they can always server switch and do that.

I do like the mentor chat thing, specifically for Olvia that is.

6. RengerEl

they could make olvia 1-3 for new players, and 3-6 for new and returning players. perhaps have actual GMs watching the 1-3 chat.

7. GreyRebel

there are some thing wrong with the current olivia server
    - only new and returning players are there , so overall its kinda empty , so a new player joining the game think the game is kinda empty .
    - players who want to help newly joined players cant help them ,coz they r usually playing in olivia
    - the bonus olivia offers isnt much

overall my suggestion would be to mix all olivia servers into 1 or 2 server , or remove it and add a shield for new/returning players protecting them from getting pked

#7 GreyRebel, Jul 15, 2019
    Aelisah, Factorial, Myntiix and 2 others like this.
  8. Phoenixxx75

Phoenixxx75 Lahn 60 NA

They could just give all new players a permanent 100% buff for one month and have them play on normal servers. Returning players could also probably get the same buff.

9. Dryed

Dryed Warrior 62 NA

I think Olvia channels could still exist, but cut down to like 1 maaaybe 2 channels.

It is pretty useless in terms of exp for new players, because:
    1) It takes like 3 hours top to level new char from 0-60 just go and say "leech" at trees or join a guild and have them power level you at trees.
    2) Most of the channels always have bells and there is same 100% exp on weekends on all channels.
    3) All newbie grind spot are uncontested on normal channels

It not educational for new players to be on Olvia channels as it is full of newbs and not actual veterans who can help and answer question. Joining the guild is the best way to get caught up.

So to be honest, if they remove Olvia channels, nothing would really change for new players and only help them instead of isolating them in fake channels and then thrown into hard reality.

10. WinterMilla

The only thing you do as a new play in olvia is follow the quest line untill you get bored and quiet. As a returning player you just grind the spots you want and kill the weaker players. Its not helpful at all. In olvia there are tons of players asking for help that get trolled, by some seasoned vets that quit for one reason or another. Even after the rework I found the quest to mostly un-helpful, boring, and far far too much running without a decent mount. (you would think they would give a tier 5 with horse armor as a quest in the main quest.). Just telling somone on the forums to go life skilling till x lvl/gear scor doesn't help either. I found that players that I took the time out to show the game and it mechanics tend to play longer and make it much further than the ones on olvia.

I agree with @Phoenixxx75 that they should just get a buff for +100% EXP. Let be honest on your first character getting from 1 - 56 with no help will take you almost a week and a half. I'd be shocked if you managed to figure out you can have skill add-ons.

All in all just throw them into the lower servers with the rest of us. The ones who quit were more than likely going to quit anyways.

aethericAnuran and Phoenixxx75 like this.
  11. Andaro

Andaro Archive
    Ambassador

Actually this is a good question.

The original purpose of the Olvia servers were to speed up progression for new and returning players, but as time and content have progressed it has become much easier to naturally progress to 60 at which point Olvia is mooted.

This was enforced even more so with the quest-line updates making it viable to level to 60 without much need for grinding at all.

Perhaps removing the Olvia channels would help to reduce stress on the overall servers performance?...idk

I can not think of a benefit of the servers atm with the current age of content.

#11 Andaro, Jul 15, 2019
  12. Nagasaki

Nagasaki Ninja

Turn olvia channels into extra channels for Altar of Blood.

Andaro likes this.
  13. LucidKill

Only reason now is to show off the game without all the clutter of boats clogging the ports, mass processors crowding around blocking the storage npcs, abandoned horses standing around, and other player spawned trash littering up the town. BDO is such a beautiful world but the player spawn trash and hundreds of processing bots actually deters from the immersion.

Ninnghizhidda likes this.
  14. WinterMilla

We could fix that by having players mounts and boats be sent to the nearest stable when not interacted with for over an hour. This would be the stage on the mount was check or the mounts was "mounted" (a.k.a you are about to move it). You can also make it so players can AFK process from their houses with a in house storage.

LucidKill and Phoenixxx75 like this.
  15. Yulanda

Yulanda Sorceress 61

I agree that if an initial combat xp boost is still a preferred bonus for new players, it could be applied to the account the same way the 15 days of Value Pack is now applied to these accounts.

Phoenixxx75 likes this.
  16. Hemuk

They are needed, but 6 is a bit too much, keep 4, then make Kama5&6 with the other 2 imo.

MMoNoob likes this.
  17. ghoulz666

Hmmm, that's an idea. AFKers should become invisible to players after 5 minutes or so. In safe zones.

Why we gotta see a pile of idle players and junk? Gotta show off those maid outfits...?

I don't see how this isn't possible. They can already make players go poof under certain circumstances. There's also already scripting for things to happen when you're idle for long enough.

#17 ghoulz666, Jul 15, 2019
    Aelisah and Phoenixxx75 like this.
  18. Therquai

I suggest change Olivia server into buff for 30days. You can neither be pked nor join node wars.

19. dcruse2

Olivia server helped me out a lot. as a new player with the event I was able to get level 52 in the first 5 days of doing just the @ main quests with the dark spirit and was able to get the starter pack for free making this a good F2P win for me. otherwise I would not have been able to try out this game. so i voted leave it as it is.

20. Aelisah

Is this even possible? x"D

I mean, I played for '3 years' but theres always a point in a year where I need a break x'D