1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Art of Thrones - Voting Period

Discussion in 'Events' started by CM Kabz, Jun 27, 2019.

?

Vote for your 3 favorites !

Poll closed Jul 8, 2019.
  1. Seaforest

70 vote(s)
    5.7%
  2. Koytaro

124 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Harmony

102 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Emanon

359 vote(s)
    29.1%
  5. FunFamilyName

185 vote(s)
    15.0%
  6. Shiakari

25 vote(s)
    2.0%
  7. TempestShade

25 vote(s)
    2.0%
  8. Whetu

99 vote(s)
    8.0%
  9. Charkusx

96 vote(s)
    7.8%
  10. Felyni

138 vote(s)
    11.2%
  11. Klauds

64 vote(s)
    5.2%
  12. Lunaevah

47 vote(s)
    3.8%
  13. Schattenjaegerin

102 vote(s)
    8.3%
  14. Heartilly

450 vote(s)
    36.5%
  15. Virava

21 vote(s)
    1.7%
  16. Wildspark

379 vote(s)
    30.7%
  17. Strasurge

92 vote(s)
    7.5%
  18. Flowerenza

333 vote(s)
    27.0%
  19. SaltySweet

100 vote(s)
    8.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SRT2Yyy60R

There are a lot of interesting brilliant works but my vote is for Denito's one. Good Job <3

2. TheDefectiveOne

Kinda sad that mine didn’t make it (not sure what disqualified me XO ) but my vote goes to Whetu cause I friggin love that art style

Good job everyone :)

I agree with you there- not even necessarily concerning mine, but entries like Apokai’s and Oblit’s definietly deserved to be in there :( I had been looking forward to voting for those

#42 TheDefectiveOne, Jun 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    Zimtblog likes this.
  3. Mansiepansie

What is this scuffed voting, Nemlin's entry was lit. Was fitting your latest patch release with shai coming out, being all florin related.

4. Heather Rodriguez

Denito we are with you honey

5. onaco

onaco Musa 62 EU

Just wanted to say that I completely agree. Last contest was a mess, this one is on a much smaller scale and they still couldn't make it right. I really wonder by what standards are they choosing artworks because I have a hard time thinking it's either quality or originality in some cases (there are at least 4-5 submissions that should have been here and are not, I don't mind being honest). So honestly I have no idea. I have been to quite a few contests for videogames and most seem to have this same issue. Decided that this is the last contest for me as well.
    Gl to all who made it, however I just feel pretty bitter about some of staff's choices. Doesn't seem fair at all to artists who put way more time and effort in their own submissions.
    Not to mention there are actually stolen artworks and just plain out traced screenshots...

#45 onaco, Jun 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    SoulRemix, Wilter, Starlin and 4 others like this.
  6. MeyLolita

I thought this was supposed to be a community vote?
    And here you guys have already chosen a list of artists beforehand?
    ..That's an pretty unfair move to rob the rest of the people that joined the contest for votes. *thumb down*
    If you guys where to choose anything it should be the top votes from us, not the other way around.

7. hyny

Unpopular Opinion:
    Allowing everyone that voted to see the standings of the vote is ruining the spirit of the contest. Kakao is creating a toxic competition, where votes will be manipulated to increase or decrease the distance from competitors for top spots. I'm not accusing any artist of doing this or blame them if they do. It's the voting system inviting those types of exploits.
    To all Artist that may not be part of the top 5, know that your art is greatly appreciated and winning this contest is more about popularity and influence than about the art.
    I sincerely hope the next art contest will be with hidden votes till the end of the voting period to have a fair contest, that can't be rigged.

8. Starlin

It's saddening to me to see the same thing play out every year. You'd think they would learn from previous events and try to make it better, but no - the same thing under different title. Always questionable selections, always cheaters allowed... I am so tired from the first day of the community voting and the period is till the 8th - that's crazy long! We are not politicians, we can't run marketing campaigns begging for votes, but they force us into it! They force us to scheme so that the digit moves higher and it disgusts me! Thank you all for your kind words and for your lovely support. I am humbled, truly... HUMBLED. I have never expected anyone to like my work and this to me is the true win. I am also sad like everyone else about the circumstances but all I want to say is - guys, please don't be sad about the selection. You got the love you deserved, you caused an uproar. Don't evaluate yourselves by mere digits, you are worth more. You are worth more than a chair that costs what... 300 Euro? Do you really think the value of your work is 300 Euro? I think not! Don't devalue your work like this. Your artwork is your achievement and you should be goddamn proud of it! Unfortunately, in this contest, you don't need luck - you need popularity and marketing, and it's ugly. All I will say is - this contest does not evaluate the value of your art. Previous Art contests had 80+ pages with submissions but not this one. This one got barely 10 pages. Just like Endgame PvP a lot of people have given up on joining in those contests. Think about that.

SoulRemix, charkus, Neokii and 6 others like this.
  9. onaco

onaco Musa 62 EU

Yeah. I believe one of the hardest thing to do for most artists who join these kinds of contest is to accept that ranking means nothing here. People tend to devalue their own art simply because a certain somebody doesn't like a certain colour, even if the drawing/painting itself is amazing. Certain somebody has a lot more guildies on forums, we all know the drill. Happens everywhere. Nothing can be done about that. However that is something people should always have in mind when joining these contests. It is a lot better to just join it if you enjoy the theme, and to enjoy working on your artwork regardless. Nobody can blame the contestants or the voters for being dissapointed tho. Hell, I am dissapointed too and I didn't even expect much judging from last few contests.
    Bleh, bad thoughts aside. Thank you for supporting others :] I really wish more people eventually learn to share your opinion, and just enjoy their own art for what it is and do their best to continue getting better at it. And not get demotivated by something like this. If nothing else situations like these build character.

Kekipi, Zimtblog, Felyni and 2 others like this.
  10. Kekipi

Kekipi Lahn 62 EU

Fully agreed, plus the voting Period is far too long, people have to campaign for votes due to others doing it, its pretty unfair. I shared my wife's one on Reddit for example because several others had already done the same, but it just feels wrong to have to even go into "campaign" mode and share art around when people should check every entry and pick for themselves, without thinking about who is going to win. Showing the vote count is a terrible thing.

With that said, I also feel like they should enforce the rules better in event's, I guessed they would select the "best" 20 (it's subjective to the taste of who judged it) and the community vote the rest, but I would've preferred them to at least hide the votes.

Also the fact some people clearly broke the rules, as stated by some of the artists above, some that made it and some that did not, I would feel pretty bad if I had a honest entry and I see a couple of entry's who actually don't meet the event requirements: Ex: not sitting on a throne/chair, not having a clearly viable "throne" or straight out copying artwork and just placing your character and adding a water dragon, it's not fair for all the participants, regardless if you deserve top 20, the top 5/10/20 in a contest should not have rule breakers.

11. Lillekolibri

Emanon so damn cute

Erdbeermilch and Zenmaku like this.
  12. Felyni

Felyni Tamer 61 NA

Agreed, but I learned from the last fan art contest, where you had to draw kamasylvia content, where the folk that got 1st,2nd,3rd...were portraites.....Beautifully done, don't get me wrong..but when It comes to the guidelines...They Hardly related/compared to other entries in regards of guideline content.

So, with these online fan art things, ya just got to remind yourself to do these for fun and enjoy yourself/learn in the process! =-)

Otherwise, I'm a huge huge follow the rules/guideline, supporter(and whomever followed the guidelines best/most) when it comes to these. If it doesnt show a full original throne, then it should not qualify, no matter how lovely it is. imo. But you can't let yourself get upset, all in all just have fun with it! From those cwith high votes atm, at least followed the guidelines and portray a character sitting in a proper throne, so I'm happy to see that!

Eollyn and Kekipi like this.
  13. Namoo

In my defense (I was 2nd place in the first contest) I did my best to include some elements of Kamasylvia in my portrait (Elf, griffon helm, the outfit I tried to portray was replicated from Kamasylvian NPC outfits) and there weren't hard guidelines about that contest other than to make it Kamasylvian themed. At the time all I really felt comfortable drawing was portraits so I tried my best to make it work, although I do admit it was limited and I am glad I have strayed away from and improved from that over the years.
    I don't want to speak about the other submissions from that time on a personal level but I can agree that having 3 out of 5 of the winners as portraits did feel very limited. And I can see that at least one especially doesn't seem to capture much if any Kamasylvian charm.

I wasn't trying to attack you or anything for commenting by the way. I can see where you're coming from entirely and I respect your opinion. I just wanted to give some insight on my ideas behind my piece from then because I feel like it stills falls within the guideline, although I do believe others probably deserved top 5 much more than I did.

I don't know how I feel about community voting since it can easily be influenced by popularity rather than quality, but I am glad that it at least feels like many more people can have the opportunity to be given something this time around. Having only 5 winners for the last contest felt like way too small of a pool. It at least feels like this year a lot more people will get some kind of rewards for their efforts, so I'm happy. The prizes are also significantly better this year so I feel like even people who don't get top 3 will all walk away with something worthwhile, which is good to see (2nd place 2 years ago was just a Fine Accessory Box + the title).
    Overall, there's a lot more diversity this year and while there's still many flaws in these contests, at least it seems like there was some improvements. I would love if they picked up the suggestion someday (if they ever hold another fanart contest again) to have an actual art team vote for top 20.

Eollyn and Felyni like this.
  14. Kekipi

Kekipi Lahn 62 EU

At the end of the day, this is true, but like everything in life, there is always room for improvement! Hope they keep doing things better and better o/

Eollyn and Felyni like this.
  15. Tifa_LockHart

Hmmmmmm

@SRT2Yyy60R @Heather Rodriguez

both joined today, supporting Denito. Denito was 6th or 7th in place and all of a sudden gained more than double the voting count putting her at 4th almost 3rd. Yep, sounds fishy. I introduced to you folks "community voting"

that or she probably had a bunch of guildies and friends voting

#55 Tifa_LockHart, Jun 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    Lillekolibri, Eollyn, onaco and 4 others like this.
  16. Felyni

Felyni Tamer 61 NA

I agree, and no offense taken, I hope my prior response didn't come off that way either, as I did not mean for it to, if it did my apologies.

I also agree, this contest has shown improvement, compared to the costume one that's for sure. I like how they locked the votes in a way that makes sure the voters have some association with bdo, albiet a forum account.

Kekipi likes this.
  17. StainX

Ahhh this voting thread turned into a mess...
    Regardless of all the things happening right now , I'm happy that i made it into the voting stage (being the one with most anime heavy artstyle ... hehe)
    I think everyone here did their best to get in and their art should be appreciated .
    Different people with different tastes but i think instead of putting people down we should give some props to all the participants.
    I'm having a lot fun leveling my Shai since her release and since she bounces and rolls around i think there should be a rabbit onesie for her as costume !
    [​IMG]
    Anyways thank you for all the votes thus far and good luck to everyone till the end of the event !

Eollyn, Felyni, Neokii and 1 other person like this.
  18. Jabysal

I think they broke enough the fantasy medieval aesthetics bdo used to have... I dont rly want to see lolis in bunny costumes arround tbh.

Maevan likes this.
  19. Zimtblog

nice, I also voted for Denito, because her picture is beautiful.
    I think she didn't need to instigate her guild members etc.

Lanzor likes this.
  20. Lanzor

It's not criminal to involve friends to vote by the terms of contest) I'll tel you more - it's the aim of any contest like this to get new members in community. It's pure advertising (or promotion if you like this word). If you think that BDO community managers make contests with prizes just for fun it's a deep delusion.
    ps: I am Denito, and I'm asking my friends to vote for me, even they have never heard about BDO (but now they've heard). And I'll try my best to climb as high as possible in voting even if I'll need to involve all my relatives, colleagues, friends etc. It's up to me, and this way is not prohibited by rules

Erdbeermilch and Felyni like this.