1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Art of Thrones - Voting Period

Discussion in 'Events' started by CM Kabz, Jun 27, 2019.

?

Vote for your 3 favorites !

Poll closed Jul 8, 2019.
  1. Seaforest

70 vote(s)
    5.7%
  2. Koytaro

124 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Harmony

102 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Emanon

359 vote(s)
    29.1%
  5. FunFamilyName

185 vote(s)
    15.0%
  6. Shiakari

25 vote(s)
    2.0%
  7. TempestShade

25 vote(s)
    2.0%
  8. Whetu

99 vote(s)
    8.0%
  9. Charkusx

96 vote(s)
    7.8%
  10. Felyni

138 vote(s)
    11.2%
  11. Klauds

64 vote(s)
    5.2%
  12. Lunaevah

47 vote(s)
    3.8%
  13. Schattenjaegerin

102 vote(s)
    8.3%
  14. Heartilly

450 vote(s)
    36.5%
  15. Virava

21 vote(s)
    1.7%
  16. Wildspark

379 vote(s)
    30.7%
  17. Strasurge

92 vote(s)
    7.5%
  18. Flowerenza

333 vote(s)
    27.0%
  19. SaltySweet

100 vote(s)
    8.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Tifa_LockHart

Do you know what community voting like...... is???

There are SO MANY GREAT TALENTS AND ARTS and DEDICATION in this contest and it SADDENS me to see artists like Luna or Starsurge not getting the proper rewards for their dedication and its not because it just happens to be that more people prefer others than them. NO, it's because you have people like Denito who skewed the voting perimeter to their advantage and his probably not the only one. This is what community voting does!!!

Either give everyone the reward, or have your art team PICK the top 5 for us. The 1st guy could have the chair whatever, I think it should be Heartlily but with the way the voting is, it might be Denito by July 8th. Whatever, but give everyone the rewards. Not just top 5. Community voting is flawed and artists that aren't in the top 5, are probably not in the top 5 because they don't have as many guildies or friends or they are just more moral.

2. SoulRemix

SoulRemix SoulRemix Tamer 62 EU

I want you to take a good look at THIS -->

And then tell me again you are not promoting literal ART THEFT during your creative contests. If it was just the pose, sure. But this guy stole: Pose, Composition, Light source and Atmosphere..even the rocks!
    Disqualify members that didnt stick to rules and committed art theft, and do the voting again with others that actually CARED to read the rules, and CARED to sit down and do an original piece.

3. Felyni

Felyni Tamer 61 NA

I'm gonna start advertising myself for upvotes(more so twitch follows)! lol jk

But I just wanted to add, if anyone's interested in some progress videos before they vanish watch below:
    (set the settings at 2x so it's less painful)

Beginning details:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/437832847

The Ruffles (omg I always look mad):

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/439196544

Throne & Hand Progress(how the background was going to look, but I ran out of time) :

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/442760153

How I created the weapon stones, the black spirits favorite snack! :

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/443355292

Enjoy, and thank you all for the current votes, and my guildies that noticed my drawing & enjoyed it, Y'all made this worth while!

#83 Felyni, Jul 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    Starlin, Lillekolibri, Kekipi and 5 others like this.
  4. Oblit

Thanks for all the support. As I expressed before I submitted an entry that I never liked community voting and not a fan of the throne theme. I was 100% on not going participating because I already have the title from winning the first contest.

That until the weekend before deadline, my dominant hand been hurt since September of last year and I'm getting used to drawing with my other hand. I developed a habit of switching back to my main hand when dealing with precision/detailed stuff.

I realized that working on multiple paintings at the same time can reduce the hand switching. Still not liking the throne theme, I sketched out a few "not really throne" compositions and ended up liking two. A Shai sitting on a giant seashell and a Witch sitting on a Cadria elephant(original idea but differenta angle).

In the end I'm glad my entry got disqualified(it had to be it) and it didn't have to go through the voting period. I removed the actual throne the last minute figured that the judges will consider and deem it creative. But I failed to realize that BDO isn't using the art team to judge the entries. Though if you want to be technical or critical, at least two of the entries don't have a "throne" drawn. Either not visible or not really throne(similar or lesser than mine).

Last week I withdrew my entry so it wouldn't be subject to this:

I got a confirmation from the CM via PM. The artwork is unfinished anyways, I may decide to unBDO and finish it later. So it all worked out in the end, I got motivation, left hand practice, exposure and I get to keep my artwork.

- Bopae

Zimtblog, onaco, Eollyn and 1 other person like this.
  5. Race2Pie

after reading all of this... If I were one of you, I wouldn't even be hurt by the fact that they let the top 3 consistently forge the voting. All of this.. means nothing.

6. Zimtblog

edit:
    The purpose of a CM's is it to please the community. I think It's not her task to control every picture cause of one event. I follow every event and speak of experience. And I'm sorry I don't know anyone who doesn't involve his friends or guild members. Furthermore I have experienced some votings who changed immediately. I assume that the 150+ votes aren't from his friends only.

#86 Zimtblog, Jul 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    BigWolfy likes this.
  7. onaco

onaco Musa 62 EU

Sad to hear contests are just a joke to them.
    I'm sure a lot of people worked hard on their drawing and took it quite seriously, myself included. I'm sad to see effort and time go to waste, but that can't be helped. I'll just make sure to never touch these ''contests'' with a 10 meter stick :/
    It was a mistake on my part to even join after I have seen how the costume contest ended. But you know, one would expect that in an art contest, art theft wouldn't be tolerated. It is not CMs job to search the internet and find it and check evey picture, but when a community finds it why do they turn blind and deaf to it?
    Yet again everyone is dissapointed. I don't think that has anything to do with pleasing the community, it does the opposite.
    Btw I didn't involve friends or guildmates (I don't even have a guild), so now you know one person at least. I have a friend but she didn't want to take part into voting since she noticed how it will turn out like since the beginning. And I understand that. Again not that there's anything wrong with friends and guildies voting, but begging for it is just considered sad.
    Next time when a contests pops up they should write in bold letters and in caps lock that, rules don't apply, art theft is fine, originality and creativity don't matter, enjoy! If they won't then I will write it in the thread, just to make sure that people who expect anything and want try and to take this seriously don't waste their time. It shouldn't bother whoever plans on winning anyway, since there are step by step rules for that too.

Curse me for trying to play fair, I keep forgetting that is in the minority.
    At least some people can still enjoy the contest, I simply can't after seeing all this. Best of luck to all.

#87 onaco, Jul 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
  8. MufasaDidNothingWrong

Honestly after monitoring this thread for a while it has become the echo chamber of like 5 or 6 people praising their guild members , discord / forum friends or whatever the heck it is.
    I was actually expecting Emanon to land 1st since I saw their reddit post blew up with 1k upvotes , 1 gold and stayed on front page for almost 2 days but after that I only see like a steady count of like 2-3 votes per day after it dipped to 2nd page lol.
    And then the “race” between top 1 and the “top 2” guy happened with ridiculously fast vote count rate like it can’t be more obvious...
    Atleast I hope top 1 have enough friends to make up for it and not resorting to spamming alt like the “top 2” dude and his groupies.
    If only they actually have this event being voted on a large scale than an echo chamber maybe the alt spamming dude wouldn’t have his ways.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Starlin likes this.
  9. Kekipi

Kekipi Lahn 62 EU

How is it forging if two of the top's had a high amount of Reddit Upvotes and have been leading since day one, while being relatively unknown in the "Community" hence probably not even having much known friends, You can vote for 3 art pieces, it's not strange to imagine people will like Emanon and Heartilly's artwork even if they came to vote for another person's work.

You can pick 3 after all, they had the artworks shared on Reddit just like others did that day, it's not strange at all, strange is the people that "magically" caught up into the top 5 in a matter of hours a day later without sharing it anywhere.

This is why there should be rules, such as Forum Account age, as it is very unfair to all the honest artists in this contest that might be shifted a place or two down due to those who got a magical boost from 1 day old accounts. Just saying, this is why for better or for worse it is better for GM's to vote these kind of contests internally, to avoid such situations.

#89 Kekipi, Jul 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    BigWolfy likes this.
  10. MufasaDidNothingWrong

NGL if they gonna drag this clown fiesta for 1 more week it isn’t too late to just pick like top 10 and do internal staff pick rather than letting this go on.

Starlin likes this.
  11. Moonhilde

Moonhilde Veialis Berserker 6 EU

Well done the level is really impressive. I do not know any of the artists and it's very hard to vote so much they are all great and difficult to decide!
    I voted for Charkusx because I have a crush on the male character and the game of lights
    Then Harmony because the colors are sublime
    And Denito because the technique used is breathtaking.
    We are on the professional level! First places should be!

People do drawings commissions?

Well done everyone!

Da_Tonn and Zimtblog like this.
  12. Eremita

I'm honestly glad to see this kind of discussion here, I was really heartbroken when my entry didn't make it to voting after 10+ hours of work, when an entry with no background and no throne, even, could make it to top 20. Sorry for the honesty, but that is how I feel right now.

I haven't seen my entry mentioned at all, so I understand that it wasn't in people's taste, but I am so saddened that other, even better entries which I can't vote for because some rather sketchy entries were picked instead. I agree with some previous comments that an art team would have had a bit more expertise in picking.

With that said... Don't witch-hunt the artist for tracing over an image. It's a bad thing to do and it's worse to submit the entry to a contest, but ultimately you should only be angry at the CMs for being aware of it and still allowing it. Additionally, don't hunt people who are asking friends for votes. Some people, myself included, entered the contest because they don't have the means to get the prize items to begin with. The prizes might be worth hunting votes for, for some people. The format of the contest allows this and going out of your way (as in, asking some people in your guild to participate) to win is quite natural. You can complain about the format, but don't attack the artists for asking for support.

Lillekolibri, onaco, Da_Tonn and 3 others like this.
  13. Zimtblog

It's important to alert a community manager if an artwork has been stolen. And I retract my statement "(even CM's don't take it very seriously) so don't expect much."

BigWolfy likes this.
  14. MufasaDidNothingWrong

Post your work on reddit.
    There are people who appreciate your effort and you deserve to show others your 10 hours of honest work.

BigWolfy and Lillekolibri like this.
  15. Kekipi

Kekipi Lahn 62 EU

Two so far underrated gems in the final 20 for sure, really solid concepts and artworks, love the work put into them!

Eollyn and Moonhilde like this.
  16. Jeanina

Jeanina Sharivar Lahn 61 EU

No matters what but Denito looks like the only true winner, it looks the best by lightyears, no offense to the others =)

Erdbeermilch and Da_Tonn like this.
  17. MufasaDidNothingWrong

Well i mean the person themself seems to be very good at brigading.
    That's a skill that they are better at than others for sure =) .

18. Wilter

Denito did well. However I am very worried for you, Jeanina. :( I think you need to see an eye doctor and a psychiatrist, if you think that is the only high-caliber entry...

This is too much drama. Too much hate.
    Can't we all just agree that the cheater's entry I mentioned before is the only one that 100000% shouldn't be in this list?

Rickter, BigWolfy, Starlin and 2 others like this.
  19. patagarucha

i dont vote !
    ppl just have to create myriad of account to help their number of vote to grow up…
    i know bdo is all about farming but here.. NO!

i think it's good to let the ppl exprim themselve but in final, it must be the BDO staff to take a minute and have a choice!

reading this forum turn into propaganda for X or Y upvote,

for me, all win! some are wonderful, funny, dark etc and prove talent of all participants

thanks for the pleasure i got to see (again and again) all these picture

20. MufasaDidNothingWrong

If we talk about technique only then Wildspark is the person got robbed the most.

Techniques used in their work like the camera lense blur effect and impressive shading alone can easily get him top 3 not to mention the design for the throne.

Heartilly isnt as polished but has more details other than the thrones even though im not sure if the person is drawing a tamer or maehwa (Probably the former since heilang , staff and all but without those you cant really tell thats a tamer). Good atmospheric shading.

Emanon's art screams animu . Has some fun details added but overall less detailed. Line work a little too thick. Interesting attempt of a fisheye perspective but there are still some minor errors . Okay-ish shading but the coloring mesh in well.Cropped the screenshot from the game but its minor.

Denino's art is really really unpolished even compare to some of the lower placed pieces.Take Harmony's for example since they used a pretty close art style / techniques and see how unpolished and sketch-like it is compare to Harmony's.It has quite alot of detail works but like i said very unpolished.

Very good patience on the brush tool with hair texture though since you used it for probably 30% of your piece

Here is a 14 mins tutorial on how to make the brush tool from scratch and draw just like how your top 2 of the art contest DENINO did)
    Flowerenza's work has prober focal point and all, pretty detailed but alot of the details seem to be....cropped in .Like the bird , the flower outside the window , the medieval shower cover thingy behind the throne and even the throne itself seems cropped in from IRL pic...Good try but too much cropping.

Welp thats my take on the current top 5 , if there are any more experienced digital artists out there want to give their own take go ahead

I'd rather see this going down burning and screaming rather than seeing it dies down like an amber from this echo chamber and all the brigading that's happening right now.

Edit : Formatting.

#100 MufasaDidNothingWrong, Jul 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2019