1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

As a new player is it worth getting invested in BDO?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by Morgenstierne, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Morgenstierne

I've been playing for a few days now (quite intensively) and there's a lot of things I really like about BDO, but I also have some nagging concerns. Maybe they can be alleviated?

I know this has been mentioned a million times, and I'm probably going to generate a lot of toxicity for this, but the monetization in this game.. oh boy. Also want to point out that this is just an opinion - people have different preferences and that's fine.

That being said I actually like supporting developers that makes games I enjoy. I fully understand that everyone has to eat and micro transactions don't really bother me. However with BDO it's so apparent that the general design rule is to throw inconveniences at you that can only be solved with money.

In order to open up all the inventory slots for one character I have to shell out roughly €108. That price tag does not give me access to content or features. It's just squares holding pixels. For that price I could subscribe to another MMO for seven months (!) and gain access to the entire game. Just for comparison.

And that's not even taking into account what storage space would cost or lodging for workers. Not to mention cosmetic items, weight expansion and pets. I find it hard to justify spending that much money on things that should at least be relatively cheap or at a minimum account bound. It's just not a fair deal.

Couple all this with no true end game and no real way to buy these things with in-game currency, I'm struggling to find the motivation to play this. I don't enjoy buying progress at a cash shop. I want to earn it by playing.

Is there any way to get around this or do I just have to accept the fact that I will be forever gimped because I think the Pearl Shop in its current state is basically just a ploy to lure players into spending real cash?

BDO has a lot going for it, but the general reputation of PA and the absurdly overpriced items makes me very skeptical as to whether I should invest any money and time in this.

#1 Morgenstierne, Nov 27, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    VasilisD, choovanski, gurghul and 4 others like this.
  2. Kurano

Kurano Kurano Berserker 63 NA

Think you answered your own question

3. Morgenstierne

Well, maybe. But I'm open for being convinced otherwise.

Distaken likes this.
  4. Amirite

In order to open up all the inventory slots for one character I have to shell out roughly €108.

I have been playing for some years now and I don't have a full inventory on any of my characters and I am doing fine, believe me. If you do use full inventory, you also have to remember that you need to carry all that stuff, witch you can't without getting the weight from pearl shop or just run around with a bag until you get high enough for carrying more. If you grind 24/7 you don't even need all the slots in your inventory cause trash stack, but weight a ton.
    Invest enough for your need is my advise and try to get as many free inventories from quest.

I really pay for what I want and not only what the game want's me to use or PA/Kakao offer me to buy with shining stuff.
    Some people can handle it others can't handle

Prices here are imo are way too high, where I think that's just too much real money to use on in a game item
    Maybe some day, we get a more fair and lower prices in the Pearl Shop, so the P2W is more fair....dosen't sound right but I hope you know what I mean.

Also remember, what might be most important, that this is not a game where you have everything within a month or two. There are some pride and hard work behind that, with gathering, cooking etc. etc. it is a grind game 1000%. If you are unclear by that, then this game is not for you.

Iskandar, Venkas, Hilly and 2 others like this.
  5. Catastigma

Try to enjoy it without spend a penny.

If you dont succes to enjoy it without your credit card.

Leave.

its stupid to spend money on a game that you dont like. And its Imorale in my Opinion to spend money on a predatory cash shop even if you enjoy the game at this basic.

#5 Catastigma, Nov 27, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    Yumine, Allan1985, BeastCK and 9 others like this.
  6. Biinge

Dude its wicked fun, if you are against having fun well good luck to you. Nothing lasts forever in this world. Most other games you will play have a pre-determined end, I've been playing this one for about a year now and there's no end in sight yet. Also it probably costs maybe $100 to unlock only what you need (inventory and 2 pets cuz you can get 3 now from quests), that's nothing if you're used to buying games that last maybe 25-50 hours, or subbing to MMOs that are $15 a month. You're getting charged either way.

Chaos Ronin likes this.
  7. Thranduil

No, as it is now, the game isn't worth starting, keep playing for free if you like it, you can get 3 pets via main quest, one more with Deve's Journal and the 5th the bird is given to the returning players (and maybe with guild rewards also, my guild is small so i don't really know). As for weight you can buy some with loyalties and you can also use the two free maids as free weight capacity every 20 min or just use the horse.

Most cosmetics can be bought with silver, you'll be competing with costume melters for them but at some point you'll get it, as for value pack if you play on EU forget about it, very few get posted. The camp to repair your items sadly has no viable alternative, you'll have to chose a spot to lvl up close to a blacksmith.

RIPTOR, Hilly and Distaken like this.
  8. NixZero

you spend only if you want and only on what you feel its worth to invest in, you can enjoy the game without spending a dime.
    tho keep in mind that they are working for you so -some- money is right to spend as you are enjoying their efforts, dont let all these freeloaders influence you into thinking that spending any money meant you are too soft or something.

9. Whitrix

Ambassador

I'm with @Catastigma on this one. Try to enjoy the game and progress through it without spending money.
    I always recommend people to not listen to those that always tell new players "you need to spend X money to enjoy it or be competitive".
    With loyalty points, at a very low pace, you'll eventually be able to expand on storage and other things without spending real money.
    A lot of the things you've said you need money for can be obtained once you have enough Contribution Points.

Factorial, Bridne, Solitaire and 4 others like this.
  10. PurplePumpkin

I always feel the need to say this when a discussion comes up about inventory. Remember to do the main quests up to Calpheon! You'll get free inventory! Also if you're level 20 go into the quest tab. ( the O key) go to suggested quests and there are quests for more inventory.

As for workers and lodging make sure you are exploring/ questing and gaining knowledge! You can gain contribution points which you can use for worker lodging.

With the changes to sliver, weight hasn't been a much of an extreme issue and they even added a quest that gives you a pet. Plus they give pets out as login and event rewards a lot!

Aokami, Schwertfee, Andaro and 2 others like this.
  11. DarkGG

DarkGG Darkiee DarkKnight 62 NA

The only thing I've ever said to new players is pets are required. So if you figure bdo a 60$ game then no issue. Weight/inventory and all others can be managed pretty well. If you really like the game after 5 pets you can do the monthly sub aka value pack and be just fine.

12. Star of Stardusted

13. Kynreaa

Kynreaa DarkKnight 62

The game is not worth getting financially invested into No. You would only be incentivizing further terrible development with these guys, rather then supporting the artist that made the artwork and graphics for the game. Showing them that selling solutions is profitable hurts the industry.

Nor is it really worth investing time that could be spent doing other things as well...Do not make this mistake plenty of others have made, dodging cashshop mechanics the game was designed for costing time. Casshop mechanics meant to get you to just enhance your gear...Or waste countless months lifekilling or grinding silver to buy stuff from the central market, all in order to dodge the enhancement inconvenience they put in.

If you can log in, enjoy doing what you want to do, then pretend your making progress leaving your computer on AFK doing what ever..this may be the game for you, to tide over an addiction till something truly good comes out..this was close..so very close, but terrible terrible development has turned it into a S**tshow.

The inventory was just an example of prices run amok for something so trivial, and ingame anyway..He didnt really say its something he wanted, needed, or could not obtain.

I guess a better example would be trying to get Miraculous Cheer V on your faerie, Rolling your own dream horse from scratch, or trying to straight up outspend bad RNG for enhancement purposes..Those 3 could and do cost multiple hundreds if not in most cases thousands.

Factorial likes this.
  14. AlnilamE

OP, your assessment is accurate.

What you want to do with it, is up to you. You can try playing without ever spending any money (other than buying pearl items on the Marketplace).

You can decide to spend a small amount each month or so, like you would pay a subscription in a different game.

If you don't plan to PvP (and are willing to ignore getting PK'd on occasion), then there is no rush. Pace yourself and do what you feel like (which may include leaving and not looking back).

Schwertfee and Phoenixxx75 like this.
  15. AZzalor

AZzalor EU

There is not much you really need to buy from cashshop. The few things i'd consider mandatory are pets and at least some weight if you are planning to grind.
    One outfit for your char once you settled for a main won't hurt either, but everything past that is pure convenience and is nothing you need to play the game (although it makes it a little bit easier).
    I know plenty of people who play this game which only spend 50-100 bucks on it and that's it.

16. The_Lord

as someone else said you pretty much answered your own question, that being said if you enjoy the grind and understand that this game is mostly a long term progression game and you are ok with progressing at your own pace and you are not gonna catch up to the top 1% then go for it. Most people will obviously spend a decent amount of money on the game if you actually play and enjoy it, as long as you can control yourself and also you don't have to buy everything all at once. Buy the minimum you need to get started, and as you progress over time you can get more and more conveniance if needed. Bdo is still a great game for what it is, as long as you understand what it actually is.

I personally enjoy the combat more than anything else and it's hard to go back to other mmos after experiencing bdo, i pretty much only grind and when im bored i go pvp on arsha or duels in BA , i still enjoy the game even tho i don't do life skills and haven't touched most of the content in the game and im 280ap lol. The progression is what makes it fun since it's pretty much endless and you always have a reason to play and grind , and it's fun to gamble on your gear sometimes even tho it can be frustrating aswell.

17. T800

You have it all wrong. Yes, you can spend 24/7 in some other game to unlock everything, but than you will also sacrifice your Social life and your future Wealth.

This gaming company is taking a totally different approach. They do not force you to play actively 24/7 instead they encourage you to get a job in real life, because they care about your well being, and in exchange they offer you shortcuts in Pearl Shop to save time, so you can enjoy both playing game and having a normal social life outside it.

You might not know this, but they have a Plan, for the next 10-15 years for this game. So there is no rush, there are no Expansions like in WoW, where if you missed a few month, the content already became outdated and turned in to wack-a-mole.

So take your time, who knows maybe your future kids will be playing this game too.

Venkas likes this.
  18. MADE

Sort answer: no

You can play with it... but do not invest money or loot of time into it.

Also for casual play, you can play without buying extra inventory, they actually made the situation much better with the warehouse and free inventory from in game sources.
    And if you want to play seriously, inventory will be your cheapest investment anyway, as gearing is so p2w, that this 108€ is nothing compared to the cost of a full gear...

19. Two-Tu

Two-Tu Musa 62 EU

BDO is full of artificial inconveniences and it is heavily monetized, but if you play casually, you don't need it all.
    • If you aren't into overnight AFK fishing but into casual grinding, you only need about 40 to 60 inventory slots. If you aren't min/maxing processing, cooking or trading, you are really fine off having not every weight upgrade.
    • Outfits can be sniped at the Central Marketplace. It's possible. Otherwise drop that money once for your character. That way, you aren't running around in lumps for the rest of your BDO career - it's worth it.
    • You'll need 5 pets, but they are easy to get nowadays without spending cash. You'll get a Kuku if you are new to the game and keep logging in a number of days in a row. Penguins are rarely given away as event rewards. In fact, the Kuku and Penguin are the MVPs in my pet army; using them 90% of the time. The remaining 3 pets (a cat, bird and a dog) are rewarded for doing the main questlines. If you are impatient, pets are also something worth investing money in.
    Other than an outfit and pets, the rest isn't necessary: No tent, no army of butlers at my disposal (you are getting 2 for free from your Black Spirit. I've have never needed more), no Value Pack (just save up 1400 Loyalties and buy one for one day and sell all your stuff at the Central Market during these 24h), and especially no P2W buffs - pff no. Ah yes, and stay away from enhancing gear.

That's how I survived the last 3 years of my stay here.

Ohhh, how considerate of them!

For real, oh my god, like this must be the most delusional and naive statement I have ever read in my entire time at the forums xDDDDD
    EDIT: Turns out it was sarcasm, props to him.

#19 Two-Tu, Nov 27, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  20. Blitzball

That was sarcastic..

Venkas and T800 like this.