1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

As a new player is it worth getting invested in BDO?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by Morgenstierne, Nov 27, 2019.

1. TinyTein

You don't need to spend you can play casually like me there free inventory space threw quest and you can get stuff threw login like pet...over time with loyalty reward you can get stuff threw there it just take time. People complain about that before also, but what happen you spend all that money but a new class come out and you really like it. You either spend money on it or don't not really hard. Plus there black Friday and sale certain year and season you don't need to buy everything out of the bat to expect it p2w.

2. Motoko_Shi

Motoko_Shi DarkKnight 62 NA

I can't recommend it to new people, as much as I would like to. BDO is run like a business, and it's killing itself.

Edit: If you are a person who likes to be fully informed, I recommend reading these forums for a few days. If you still want to get into the game, you should do so with eyes open.

Allan1985, Venkas, Solitaire and 2 others like this.
  3. Lemon Crush

Lemon Crush CreamLemon Witch 62 NA

The only thing in this game that will make you competitive is time, your time.

Venkas likes this.
  4. Kynreaa

Kynreaa DarkKnight 62

ROFL!!!!
    You are being sarcastic, no?

LOL, gdanm, that is the ballad of the perfect mark for these corporations.

"Yea, we care, so we made this cash shop, to catch you up to people you dont even care about. So go to work IRL, and let us take care of the heavy lifting...for a nominal fee of course" ROFL.

That is false..As in most cases, more time spent in game, can actually cause backwards gear , or monetary progression.

Iv had plenty of sessions, where I wish I had just never logged in that day, for the losses that occurred, or time spent trying to create backups, to lose progress.

T800 likes this.
  5. Motoko_Shi

But they have a plan guys.

Venkas, T800 and Kynreaa like this.
  6. Deyric

Trying it without spending in the early part of the game isn't good advice. You don't need pretty much anything at that point so it doesn't give you an actually feel of what it will be like the majority of the time you are playing at later levels. It is later game that not spending becomes next to impossible.

7. WinterMilla

To be frank money spending in BDO is strange. In terms of inventory you will be fine with only story quest free amount and side quest. The activities you do in the game however can change how much you truely need.

If you are grinding weight > inventory
    If you are a life skiller weight <= inventory

If you want the full opinion of the money side of things just search for the many P2W threads. A quick run down on it is, if you have a problem in the game, there is more than likely a cash solution to it.

The game graphically is really good. Combat feels and looks impressive, but under the hood its a mess. There are lots of things to do in the game, yet only a few of them are actually worth you time. Rng is everywhere and on everything, and I do mean everything.

I don't have a blinding love or hate for the game. Just over all disappointed when you keep doing the same thing day in and day out. The Mob AI is so dumb and only exist for you to blow up for a few hours a day.

All in all if you can turn a blind eye to somethings in the game you will have a decent time. If the cash shop is pricey, then you might wanna jump ship before you get sucked in. Once your in its hard to leave.

Life2v likes this.
  8. Lemon Crush

Lemon Crush CreamLemon Witch 62 NA

Ya that is time.... I am not sure how you are failing to understand the concept lol.

9. WinterMilla

The more time you put in the game, the more times you can roll. If you lack said time you can pay to get more rolls.

Is a convinces that it helps you or does it show how the design was made flawed to encourage you to spend to said Time.

10. Khondo

It's all personal choice, play BDO or play another game, it's your decision, no one should tell you one way or another.

11. Kynreaa

Kynreaa DarkKnight 62

I'm not failing to understand anything.
    Backward progression makes one competitive...? It doesn't. It makes them targets.

12. Two-Tu

Two-Tu Musa 62 EU

loooooool well done then @T800, got me there

Venkas and T800 like this.
  13. hightech

Hmm if I play a game for three years why I should punish myself in not spending money with huge effort.
    In the end buy what you like.
    The post that I quoted is correct, but survival is not my intention of spending my free time.
    BDO does not force you to spend anything but you will more likely spend money because you would like to.
    If you play BDO frequently it is good invested money, if not, skip the shop.
    And on the other hand if you use this service game heavily, it is a good feeling in supporting those guys working on your game day by day.
    Throw a little money at them here and there to show that you honor the value provided by those guys and their families.
    I do not like those guys thinking that they deserve the full service for an entrance fee of 5-10 bucks.
    It just feels wrong and greedy.

14. Doom Smack

Definitely don't go by whats on the forums lol.

15. Motoko_Shi

What do you mean?

16. Cascaden

Its worth trying. And once you try it out for a bit you can then make the decision to invest or not.

Bridne likes this.
  17. Stres

Every mmorpg is ran like a business lol, how else do you expect them to keep the servers running.

The game is still the best mmo on western markets imo, is it worth spending hundreds of hours in only you can answer that

18. Motoko_Shi

I said it is run like a business that is killing itself in terms of betraying its customers. Capitalizing on sunk cost/Stockholm syndrome only goes so far. They're cashing out while they can.

19. WhySoSeeryus

WhySoSeeryus Wizard 63 EU

most fun and interactive content in this game is nodewars. you need *quite* some time to be able to participate in that without feeling like cannon fodder and entertainment for other players.

that being said, if u r willing to put in work, game can be fun. you dont need all of the things from cash shop, but boy oh boy do they like to make you feel like you are behind if you dont open the wallet.

do some investigation, figure out what you wanna do and invest RL money accordingly. one time buys are usually good investment.... like worker lodgings. u might want to get a costume for a lifeskill of your choice and probably maxed out weight on your chosen character. max number of t3 pets is something id recommend to have but i guess thats up to your possibilities or willingness to give them money. u wont have an easy time buying pets on marketplace to upgrade them. getting value packs might prove difficult that way too. this is intentional design so that u cave in and buy it yourself.

20. Ungvi

Just a few pointers. Do quests for contribution points, use them to buy storage space in towns. Same for workers, although you can have 1 worker in every place, without additional housing. Buy some pearls to get a couple pets, and weight for 1 toon, (minimal investment). Save up loyalties to buy weight for 1 toon. Do inventory expansion quests, (all of them). Inventory issues alleviated. Play the game. The game gives you stuff as you go. Good luck, and enjoy!