1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Banwave] Update on Follow-up Measures

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by CM Richter, Mar 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CM Richter

Community Coordinator

Dear Adventurers,

This announcement is regarding the recent banwave that took place during the maintenance on March 27th, 2019. After the banwave was implemented, we found that some players have been wrongfully banned. The bans on the affected accounts have now been overturned.

We would like to offer our deepest apologies for making a critical mistake on our part.
    We are taking this issue very seriously and are committed to taking measures to prevent such a mistake in the future. We will also reassess our ban process and procedures to ensure it will not happen again.

We are truly sorry that this occurred and would like to offer a sincere token of apology by compensating those who were wrongly affected by the banwave. The compensation will be sent out individually and we hope that your trust can be regained in due time. We ask for your patience as distributing the compensation may take a little bit more time.

Once again, we are deeply sorry for this mistake and ask for your kind understanding.

- The BDO Team

Update 30th March:

With our recent attempts to combat the prevalent use of third party software, we attempted to strengthen our criteria to provide a better environment for our adventurers. However, many accounts were incorrectly banned due to an error in the data. We unbanned the ones we initially verified on 28th March and have been reviewing the full data since then.

After finishing the full review and data verification, we have taken the following actions:

1. Removed the permanent ban on the falsely flagged accounts that were newly discovered by our investigation.
    2. Applied a permanent ban to additional 376 accounts.
    We understand that our mistake has caused high amounts of stress and we sincerely apologise for the error. We promise to improve our internal procedures to prevent such issues. Compensation to all wrongly affected adventurers will be sent shortly, and again, we are deeply sorry for the confusion and inconvenience that we have caused.

-BDO Team

Update 11th April:

Greetings Adventurers

In order to combat the hacking problems, both in the Shadow Arena and the main world, we attempted to change our methods for identifying people that were using 3rd party software. However, we discovered a number of errors that led to false positives and the accuracy of the banwave was not up to our usual standards.

Unfortunately, the full investigation took much longer than we expected but we wanted to be certain that this time we got it right and that nobody remained falsely banned.

Today, we have corrected the errors and unbanned those that were affected. Compensation will be sent to everyone involved, along with our apologies for the rollercoaster of emotions we know they must have experienced over the past two weeks. We understand that nothing can compensate for the frustration that you have experienced, but we hope to regain your trust by creating a more reliable environment for our adventurers.

We remain committed to stamping out cheats and hacks wherever we find them and will continue our efforts in this regard as we work to strengthen our methods.

-BDO Team

#1 CM Richter, Mar 29, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2019
  2. Crimdrac

What about the players that are still banned even when they didn't use any "3rd party applications" that has been claimed in countless email templates? What about the non-steam users?

EDIT: Myself and a few others are still banned with another new wave of innocent players coming in claiming to be banned with false accusations after the recent update of running their "automated tool".

#2 Crimdrac, Mar 29, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    Jahova.Duck, Elnyr, Dudeskio and 5 others like this.
  3. Minto

Many steam and not steam users are still false perma banned including me and you told us for a kind understanding ? Should we ? Seriously ?

You treating us like nothing, replying to all ours request with bot, still haven't fix anything and you're already claim its done, sorry but i dont not have patience or any understanding for that kind of **** mistake.

4. Leni

You know, i'm not really mad about getting falsely banned, i guess that can happen.
    But how i was treated from you guys was just unacceptable. Your job is to communicate with the community and not shut everyone up with a copy&paste message. Especially if i send in a ticket i expect that someone actually takes care about my complain. But all i got was the same bs text...

5. Neokii

That's 800 something accounts to have to re-evaluate individually. I doubt they've gone back through them all at this point in time. If they indeed are un-banning some accounts (hopefully not just pomp and circumstance publicity stunt type deal) it'll take some time i'm sure. I hope to come back and actually see someone reply that they have their account back.

6. Dmike

Dmike Dmike Striker 62

I can confirm I was unbanned from this. Several threads have appeared on here and reddit as well showing there's others coming from this. What a rollercoaster of emotions over the last 48 hours it's been..

7. Kermo

Your apology will only be accepted once you unban us. Im an EU non steam user and Im still banned. You havent addressed us at all.

J1nxo, Elnyr, Rosedunn and 5 others like this.
  8. Crimdrac

Yup, I'm still banned as well.

Lvl 100 Boss likes this.
  9. Devase

I'm still banned...

Lvl 100 Boss and Crimdrac like this.
  10. Devase

also absolutely disgusted with how you handled this and handled talking to everyone that was falsely banned with a copy and paste response and locking/deleting threads/posts

Elnyr, J1nxo, Dego Locc and 1 other person like this.
  11. Tactiic

I'm supposed to just accept this apology while my account still sits falsely perma banned?
    steam user, accused of 3rd party application use. which is a lie.

12. kancel0

I'm still banned as well as a player since the start whos never done anything that would break the ToS. Guess im done playing BDO was great while it lasted now they are just going to sweep the rest of the falsely banned players under the rug and forget about us.

J1nxo, Phoenixxx75 and Tactiic like this.
  13. RESoul

They gave up doing automatic reply, that's a start but still banned

Tactiic likes this.
  14. Darby

I‘m a Steam user,and I can't log in after March 7.
    I hope the official can pay attention to this matter.
    thx for reading!!

15. BootySlapper2000

Can you guys just imagine for a second that if nobody had made such big noise, that all these wrongfully banned people who spent TIME and MONEY on this game would STILL be banned. OOOPs sorry we banned you WRONGLY but hey thanks for wasting time playing this game and giving us money so we could later ban you. GTFO here lol.

The incompetance of this company is immeasurable. YOU GUYS ARE LUCKY WE EVEN SPEND MONEY AND TIME playing your little game.

#15 BootySlapper2000, Mar 29, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2019
  16. Arteminiss

All this during the Old Moon Accessory Event...
    Even if getting unbanned we will miss a few days of this week's event, it will create some gaps we can't recover from. I had fun playing and progressing in the game along with my friends. Even didn't mind spending a few pretty dimes on it, but if this is how we will be treated,.. oh well.
    Maybe another company rather want few hundred dollars a month I guess...

17. Gretsia

Good morning everyone.
    Just woke up ( i was loged in normally afk prossecing) and restarted my pc.
    I tryed to login and got this message!!
    http://prntscr.com/n4j0dh
    Is that part of those meme ban waves?

18. Noctemis

Unbanned too

19. Ichigoru

The BDO team banned some cheaters. Good for you guys. The BDO team also banned some life skillers who never even participated in the stuff they were so proud about banning people for. Not so good. https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?threads/banwave-shadow-arena-and-more.425427/
    3 of those go together like a trial character in an arena of speed. The others, fishing and "other hacks in the main world" are kind of engh. Good for BDO team though.

Now, for the BDO team, engrave this into the back of those developer brains we as customers know you have, we do know, you are developers making a game. Accidents happen. Your team was trying to do right. HOWEVER! The way staff was ran and customer service was handled is absolutely shameful for a development team. You called a lot of people cheaters which as a customer for me personally was a bit insulting. The response from GM's, or rather lack there of, was extremely infuriating though. There are forum threads with pages and pages of people getting the exact same response and not a single personalized one showing any concern or even thought of the fact that something may not be right.

Now here the BDO team is saying, to paraphrase "oops, we're gonna rethink this sorry folks have a good day ban wave done at the moment" while there are still people banned. Continuing to get the same copy and paste text. To all you individuals, I feel for you.

Severely disturbed here BDO team. Not by this screw up of a ban wave either or the way it was handled. Been playing this game a long time and expect nothing less from this organization. What's disturbing is how more than likely no one will be fired or written up and a couple, maybe even few will get a promotion out of this.

Get your act together. For yourselves and your customers.

20. Nycroyse

Nycroyse Nycroyse Ninja 61 EU

You have banned a lot of people, okay. Some of them stay banned for 3rd party software even if they are innocent. Yesterday on shadow arena came back the most popular cheater, called barecode. He was banned but now somehow he is back. So let me ask you, did you really unbanned a cheater who dont care about you and you keep ban to innocent people who support your game? Company? People who spend thousands of dollars, hours, now must suffer because of this how unproffesional you are

Crimdrac, J1nxo, Rosedunn and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.