1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BDO community is not what it supposted to be 2 years ago.

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by Jannanomana, May 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alicia Dominica

Well, when compared to how it was 3 years ago, I'd say we have seen quite a shift from the second to the first category then. Back then it used to be like:
    • 33% doing forbidden stuff (including abusing KR server knowledge)
    • 66% being insulting in various ways (out of which 90% where the pathetic kids on Jordine server of course)
    • 1% being nice and friendly
    :)

NannaOgg and Ninnghizhidda like this.
  2. Columba

umm WHAT???? HAHAHAHA. Say stupid racist trash, collect stupid bans. I go out of my way to report people who spout that trash in chat. Never fails. easy ban. I enjoy it.

flukeSG1 and Factorial like this.
  3. NatashaArisha

NatashaArisha ShinobuAraragi Witch 61 NA

I don't even look at general chat 99% of the time, especially while in rbf or BA. It's mostly just people trying to fit in and be "cool" and look for attention.

Josh28 and Factorial like this.
  4. Josh28

I knew I shoulda worded that better or people wouldn't understand/misinterpret it like the previous comment. Whatever, Google it. Ain't explaining it.

5. Ninnghizhidda

Ninnghizhidda Valkyrie 62 EU

Also... one more thing that still makes me wonder, especially in this very game most of us posting here still play (for whatever reason).

WHAT community?

Perhaps these days people have a different perception of a "community". Maybe I am just some old fart now and still carrying "outdated" ideas and ethics in my luggage, but...

Having been a part of "gaming communities" for many years, actually decades, I have quite different experiences to recall. I could even go back to the era of MUDs and boldly state that it was probably the strongest and healthiest Communities, yep with a a big "C" indeed. Why you may ask?

I will tell you why. Even if in some cases those communities were fairly small, perhaps consisting of only a few hundred players, there was a strong and true and every day sense of "belonging to". And it wasn't only the players themselves, it was the game and game design, it was also the devs, CMs, GMs, everyone, because they were ALL involved, truly and actively.

In most of those games I have been part of, individuals had to co-operate one way or another with other players, even if there was "competition" and personal goals and agendas of course. One, could simply not survive, progress, evolve, succeed in any way, just on their own, never mind being (truly or acting like) an "antisocial prick". Sure, do that once, do that twice, third time, everyone knew and you would be scorned and avoided like plague (the plague such persons would attempt to spread in the community). And then that person would be royally screwed, since like 99% of any activity would be out of reach, especially at high levels / "endgame".

Even in fairly recent times and in "modern MMOs", even in other Korean games, where much asshattery could be found already, things could be different. Even in something like TERA, which I have been part of since head start too (and yes it had some quite good days, maybe not so any more...), being a prick all around would just cut you off in the end. Sure, you could still have "guilds of pricks" but whatever, they could and I guess still operate within their own limits, they were and are a minority, and other players would eventually find about their "ethics" and just never deal with them again.

In the end, the antisocial (without any "s) behaviour of such fellows has little if any impact on other players, unless you want to count their constant provocation and insults which can always safely be ignored anyway (also reported if you wished). Case closed more or less.

in BDO though, things are different. "Griefing" other people (with or without the "s) is an every day practice if not the purpose. And, sadly, it isn't all that easy to avoid it entirely, since in some way and in some place and at some point, it is bound to happen, unless one never moved out of town or "safe zone", which could be possible but weird, and hardly experiencing even 1% of this game (my own perception anyway).

People even talk about guilds and "alliances" in BDO, and yeah, sure, but in the end, do you even need them? Except for the obvious, they aren't even necessary. Name the things you can't already do alone, even if you do them slower or... "less effectively". Life-skilling? Grinding? Exploring? Getting knowledge? Getting silver, materials and gear? Which one of those requires a guild / community?

Of course, people can get together if they wish and have a jolly good time, nothing stops them. But it is not required, it is not mandatory. Even more so, nearly every activity in BDO is better done solo, no matter how one could argue otherwise. And if one argues that a guild / alliance / whatever "does it better', NO, it doesn't. Unless we talking about specific activities for specific purposes.

Like ya know... How SMH used to be? Like... node / siege / whatnot "domination" and "politics" (-> "silver payouts", that's all that is left in the end, yeah?). Like how... those certain "guilds" since the very first days of BDO (at least over here in NA/EU) used their "skillz" and "knowledge of the game" to exploit every possible and conceivable way, field / world bosses, shoveling, the list is endless, to get a "quick'n'easy" advantage on those "filthy casual plebs" (another fine example of a marvelous "community", just read around the Forum since even before launch to see how players like to treat other players). And it goes on and on and so forth.

That ain't no community here. At best it is a wasp nest, a rat hole, a pit with snakes. A pixel world specifically designed and actively developed to encourage the worst kind of interactions between human (well, not even sure about all of them...) beings and to bring forth their worst "basic instincts" and behaviour that not even in the "wild jungle" or war zones exists.

And all that.. where? In a GAME, that is supposed to be "time off real life", meant to be for fun, entertainment, having good times for one's self, one's friends, on your own and / or together with other PEOPLE.

After all that, I rest my case. BDO should become the subject a study on how to deceive people, how to amplify the worst in people, how to "trap" them into an endless loop of delusion of "progression" and "win", where others' downfall and suffering, by any means, is the one and prime goal. And for what? You guessed it? For very real and fat profits, straight into the pockets of our dear "overlords". Disclaimer: profit is certainly nothing bad if not even a driving force, but there are LIMITS and ETHICS to it, sure there are.

So, yeah, let's all have a great time in BDO and a good day. The End.

Fateneko, Krusty, Angar and 4 others like this.
  6. Alicia Dominica

On the community part: Due to the lack of challenging endgame content or generally the lack of incentives to group up, progression in BDO requires neither gaming nor social skills. I think in general people with raiding or competitive pvp background can relate to how the big obstacles are not necessarily just handling the game mechanics, but rather handling your fellow players. This is how communities can truly thrive (or crash).

However, in BDO the complete opposite is true and especially when combined with the owpvp element means that it's more likely to attract players with poor social skills and/or loners (some people just wanna run a one-man-show, even in a MMO). Not gonna have much of a community with those.

That being said, I doubt that the average community member has the attention-span to read through your post, which is a shame as it makes for a good read. Kudos.

Fateneko likes this.
  7. flukeSG1

Did they stop teaching kids what racism is in school these days? Why does this need to be explained? There is no such thing as throwing around racist words harmlessly. Certain individuals? Do you even understand why "certain individuals" use racist slang? You need to educate yourself, my friend. Whether you choose to be offended or not is your decision, but you aren't everyone else and you can't say what will or won't offend others. You know exactly what words you should and shouldn't use, you aren't fooling me, none of these people who toss those words around are. They know exactly what they mean. Using them just to trigger someone doesn't make it any less racist, there is no difference. It just makes you ignorant for thinking otherwise. And no, caring too much about racism does not make you a racist. Only people claiming that everything is racist these days are the clowns who pretend they don't know what real racism is and want to try and muddy the water as you aptly proved my point with the post above this one.

I Am Mother, Columba and Ben Phoenix like this.
  8. Josh28

Sounds like you interpreted my comments however you pleased and jumped straight to outrage, then used the cliche 'educate yourself' cuz you kids don't know what real racism is and I know everything bla bla bla.

Well, it wasn't my intention to justify the people that really mean to be racist, but I cannot lump together all who say offensive things online, especially when some idiot can decide that a previously acceptable word is now strongly repudiated. I'm not as arrogant as you to affirm they are all neo-nazies that needs to be utterly destroyed. I like neutral stances. I'm a centrist and the position of 'giving-heat-to racist' was already taken.

Yes, IT DOES! (It may) I've seen it with ma own two eyes irl. People who went too far fighting off racism that became racists themselves. It's all over the frigging internet too. How can you even deny this? Just look up 2019 segregation. It's 100% racism presented by anti-racial activists, however, you shall try to spin it. Albeit many of them are simply ignorant about it, but such is extremism. It's easier to trick someone than to convince them they have been fooled.

It's called being hyperbolic. But it is actually happening like that or are you being disingenuous?

Remember Anita Sarkisian? She started the "everything is racist, everything is sexist, everything is homophobic and you gotta point it all out." Well, many activists took that to heart exposing racism where it was muddy, as you call it, and turned it crystal clear with very well defining concepts and types of racism. Which I consider BS, for the most part, as they just serve a purpose of hate-delivery, guilt association, forced equality, and reparations...

Well, I did agree with the disadvantages a certain demographic had, but everyone is being forced into boxes for convenience of such narrative that just privileges minorities according to their 'oppression rank'.

I don't think I need to educate myself more, I need to not being brainwashed again and stay away from the lunacy turning this world upside-down cuz of a social experiment. Of this, I am sure.

#28 Josh28, May 16, 2019
    Last edited: May 16, 2019
  9. Ateena

Imagine being offended by a word that it's not even related to you.
    Gotta love this generation of snowflakes.
    And 99.99% of people who use the boogeyman "n word" nagas are not racists or neonazis. That's only in the tiny heads of left-wing ideologues.
    Btw, new name but still meme worthy, Luxienna :)

Extrabone, Loriel, Josh28 and 2 others like this.
  10. Ben Phoenix

This community have never been friendly, for what I remember, except for some people of course.

I Am Mother, Fateneko and Maginha like this.
  11. Shastalya

Shastalya Warell Musa 50 EU

The game breeds toxicity for obvious reasons, since 3 years here, and more elsewhere, yet you ask why...

12. Galatia

Galatia Hoshishinzui Valkyrie 62 EU

Good god the things you learn here... using racial sluts absolutely makes you an unpleasant person and certainly opens you up to accusations of being a racist because who else would want to use such degenerate language?

And it's perfectly possible to understand why language has been in a manner that is crude and hurtful and find that offensive in that same manner that finding people's other actions as unpleasant even if you were not directly involved.

Not much hope for a pleasant playing enviroment when things like this even need to be discussed.

Josh28 and Columba like this.
  13. Maginha

Sad thing its not just in bdo, the sytems we have in place all over the world breeds toxicity, we think with fb and **** we are more "together"... nah were not... were getting more divided, egocentric, egoistic and consuming dumpsters as a whole...
    F...

14. kapy94

kapy94 DuCouteaus DarkKnight 61 EU

1. 49% are AFK
    2. Saying that 49% people are racist means 0 in 2019, because a specific group keeps calling everyone racist for 0 reason.
    3. 2% are not nice and friendly. They are just nice for your standards, for my standards 98% are nice and friendly and 0.01% are racist and 1.98% are cheaters. Because the big "pvp" guilds arent the majority.

15. flukeSG1

You've demonstrated a lack of knowledge in regards to what constitutes racism, hence the educate yourself remark. I'm also not outraged, so don't worry about me.

When an idiot decides that a previously acceptable word is now strongly repudiated, that is an example as I said before of someone aware of racist or bigoted terms trying to muddy the water. I also don't recall calling anyone a Neo-Nazi.

It does not, not at all. How can I deny it? Because it's not true. Segregation is not something presented by anti-racism activists, it's the opposite. Read a history book, please.

I've never heard of that woman and I don't believe that everything is racist, sexist or homophobic and only a moron would believe something like that. In fact, doing that is muddying the water, not making it clearer.

Everyone needs to educate themselves more, you should never stop learning. People trying to write racism off as a social experiment are the ones trying to brainwash you.

16. flukeSG1

Social media will be the downfall of society.

17. Ashenvall

People are not friendly. Because they hate themselves as much as they hate others.
    Just nombrilistic and elitist people boasting the void of their life. Don't care.

I Am Mother, Josh28 and Ben Phoenix like this.
  18. Ben Phoenix

I so agree with that.

I Am Mother and Maginha like this.
  19. Shastalya

Shastalya Warell Musa 50 EU

Hey, its free advertising, caveat emptor lads.

/s

20. Luxea

Luxea Ranger 62

When I see OP in ve4 BA, all I've see him do so far is grief other people's duels by being interuptive (ex. casting voltaic pulse on a high end sorc and ranger who were dueling repeatedly). I wouldn't take the post seriously...No **** people will be rude if you do that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.