1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BDO has one of the most immersive world, but lacks story telling

Discussion in 'RP' started by Achelius, Jul 19, 2018.

1. LesserHellspawn

BDO is already bigger than the Devs originally anticipated. The storyline has to take that into account. In the beginning it was just the little Belmorn bit. Yesterday I finally finished Stars End mainquest. It goes nicely full circle all the way to the ash disease all the way back when we first entered Calpheon. Things are evolving and get revamped.

2. Taeshien

Sort of ... the way they try to push past this is that they imply that al these adventurers were from Gomen Naru, the whole town filled with adventurers all got swallowed up by the Black Stone, it degrades as the story progresses but I think that was their initial idea.

3. Zascha

The only MMO I ever played that did story correctly in an MMO--and totally by accident I think--was Star Wars Galaxies.

The whole premise of the game was that there was no over-arching major plot-line. Whatever your character did--whatever you chose to do during your play time--that was the plot of YOUR game.

The lore of the world, you just sort of brought into the game with you from the movies.The game didn't have to explain to you what a Storm Trooper was for instance, or an ATST, or where Bothans come from and what they're all about. Not only did it not have to, it didn't even bother trying to. You had a wealth of information readily available from films and the EU.

So in the game, they had this ready-made world, right? And so all you did was run around the game doing these procedurally generated quests. And you made friends, and each class had a job associated to it. And the story of the game was basically what the players did to pass the time.

BDO, I think needs to adopt an approach like this. Just drop the nonsensical "main-story" and just have it so the game is littered with all these quests that explain the region. You don't have to be "the hero." You're just a guy running around living your life. And as you play, you learn about the world.

That said, they need better writers--or better translators or something. Because I don't understand anything in the story. I barely understand the quests well enough to do them. I think they need a quest acceptance interface change too, because it's confusing.

Fateneko and Joungf like this.
  4. farsay

farsay Mystic 62 NA

Although i was a bit frustrated while doing the Valencia quest line, it still was very intriguingly enjoyable, the quests in the desert had me stuck there for three days lol

5. Joungf

It is not only the quest or lore but also the different classes who do mostly start at same "Beginner - town" even their home is far far away. Wy does the guardian not start her adventure = jouney in her own village up in the snowy mountains? Same for many other classes.

6. LesserHellspawn

That is the pure sandbox approach. I believe Eve Online is also a prime example of that. Some people like that total freedom and making your own plot, others simply find that empty and hollow. Both approaches are fine, and it's good that there are games for both kinds of players.

I'm one of the players who enjoy a good storyline within an MMO, that may partly be, ecause my preferred game style is PVE, not PVP. BDO does a good job of combining both. There is a story you can follow, but you don't have to. You are not required to do the story quests to access all of the game, you merely lose out on a few quest rewards.

7. Ashaara

Those games have at least big strategy build raids, instances and dungeons that tell you even more about the world setting and most importantly, where every player matters. They also have somewhat impactful pvp that actually makes fun. A free Market Systems that truly is build upon players and many many face to face player interactions like trading, group questing, actual fun interactive seasonal events etc etc etc.

This game right now makes me afk fish for weeks, so i can get some profit i lose anyway because of rng. Thats not really sandboxy, thats a facade of true gameplay and this is sad. Even skyrim is a better sandbox game and the story was **** lol.

Hluill and Joungf like this.