1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BDO in cloud gaming?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by Kismet, Aug 21, 2020.

1. Kismet

Kismet Wizard 62 EU

Hello,
    BDO cloud gaming, what do you think?
    Even cheaters would have a hard time but the most important thing would be that everyone could play it with almost any notebook or desktop pc.

Isn't cloud gaming the future?

2. Mjollnir

Short answer: NO

Consider the biggest bottleneck in BDO is Graphics, and that is still client side (if we move it to server side, a la Unity or X mode, the bottleneck just switches to network - latency and bandwidth). So no, aside some trivial games, I don't see it happening in the near future.

MoonDance17 likes this.
  3. Mimimimi

too costly, high bandwidth requirements and compression artifacts. probably not.

4. MADE

No, it was DOA.

Also while forcing everyone to play on cloud would prevent cheating, it would kill BDO instantly, as 90% of the players wouldn't pay 10$/month for cloud aces...

MoonDance17 likes this.
  5. Megta

Megta Archer EU

You can play the steam version of BDO via NVIDIA GeForce NOW.

6. Fearless V

Fearless V TranscendentSoul Witch NA

Shadow's much better and you can get 120 FPS with only a 5ms extra ping. I've tried both and swear by Shadow. GeForce Now is minor league and Shadow is the major league of cloud gaming. Plus with Shadow you are getting the whole PC and not just games.

7. Megta

Megta Archer EU

I don't care which one is better, because I will never use any cloud gaming service!

8. Fearless V

Ok, that's your choice. But my point stand Nvidia GeForce Now atm is inferior to Shadow. By a lot.

9. MoonDance17

MoonDance17 Lahn 61 NA

No thanks.

10. Fearless V

I mean they aren't wrong. Cloud technology is the future for data exchanges to include gaming. The only thing that is holding cloud based gaming tech is that some people still have 3rd world internet. SpaceX is actually in the process of working to change that. https://www.starlink.com/
    Long as the host nation governments don't get in the way ~Looking at you China~.

11. GamePois0n

GamePois0n PootyPoot Ranger 61 NA

cloud gaming has a very long way to go

Tracey likes this.
  12. Megta

Megta Archer EU

Nope, for me it's the data safety / privacy.
    Everything you do is on a different PC. So how do you know they do not log everything you do on this PC and what do they do with these logs?

Tolmos likes this.
  13. Tolmos

Maybe, but not for me. From a privacy perspective, I do not have any intention of ever getting into cloud gaming. If it becomes the only option, I'll play legacy games or not play at all.

From a logistical perspective; I couldn't imagine playing BDO or any other MMO in cloud gaming, unless it was BDO's own hosted cloud. But something like Google Stadia? No way.

A) Cloud Gaming is still too early in and is unstable; lags and even disconnects are not unheard of. In an MMO, that could be devastating to your enjoyment of the game.

B) Ping is already an issue in action MMOs, and I can't imagine the ping of going from me -> cloud server then cloud server -> BDO's server. Then BDO's server -> cloud server then cloud server renders the output which then streams cloud server -> me.

C) Cloud server would likely need to put some sort of limiter on how much we could scale BDO's graphics. At some point having tons of games like this running at once would become problematic for their servers.

MoonDance17 likes this.
  14. MoonDance17

MoonDance17 Lahn 61 NA

Australian here not looking forward to that day. If it is the only way to game in the future my gaming will stop.

Tolmos likes this.
  15. MADE

They are wrong. It's physically impossible to have as low latency on cloud, as normal gaming have.

Mjollnir likes this.
  16. Fearless V

[​IMG]

You sure about that? This is the technology today in its infancy. Just because you can't have low latency on cloud doesn't mean everyone don't.

17. WinterMilla

If cloud gaming is gonna be the new future is up in the air, but companies are starting to the mmo launcher route.
    I cloud game from different places when I'm away from my tower at home, turning my tablet into a nice gaming set up.
    The downside us the data you would be using. I use shadow, xbox streaming, steam link, parasec, and nivida (Shadow being the best).
    If you aren't gaming on a wifi (5ghz one at that) then its gonna eat up a lot of data fast.

Also depending on the service you dont know what kinda pc/console you are gonna get. Also anti-cheats dont like cloud pc's very much. However if you have a crappy pc and cant afford to upgrade at the time, I would recommend it in a heart beat, just play on wifi.