1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BDO Remastered Fan-Trailer Community Vote!

Discussion in 'Events' started by CM Richter, Sep 21, 2018.

?

BDO Remastered Fan-Trailer Community Vote

Poll closed Oct 1, 2018.
  1. Fermion [EU]

1.6%
  2. Mijikui [NA]

8.3%
  3. Jowi [EU]

4.1%
  4. Dark_Avenger [EU]

0.1%
  5. Veialis [EU]

33.0%
  6. WolfyPlayss [EU]

5.1%
  7. AfterEffects [EU]

23.8%
  8. PsychoticJinx [EU]

1.7%
  9. House_Mytilus [EU]

2.9%
  10. Cytho [NA]

19.3%
  1. Cytho

No way! I'm flattered but your video is awesome, it definitely deserves to be nominated as well.

WolfyPlayss likes this.
  2. PsiGhost

OOf

Only two of the staff's picks are somewhat decent, the rest are either awful or questionable at best. Some transparency on the staff's voting procedure would be nice, because half of these choices are not worthy of being in the top 10 in my opinion

Reigne Irkalla likes this.
  3. Fermion

Oooh wow i made it into the top10 :O
    Feels a bit weird to be competing against these videos because more than half of them i didn't even get to check out on YouTube while others that i thought would make it didn't show up , in any case they are all well made .

I think the biggest challenges i and many others faced during the making of these videos was the fact that it's impossible to control the in-game time of day which sometimes can mess up a shot (happens a lot) , or the limited one degree of movement camera ( with the joystick) and i suppose also finding the right spots to even use so congratulations to everyone who made it in , i'm sure all of these videos took a lot of time to make , mine isn't all that complicated imo and still took 4-5 days.

Cytho's video is rly good but somehow due to the fact that we used the same song and i heard it over and over for 4-5 days i can't say it's my favorite >.<

I think Jowi's trailer appeals to me the most because i like the way he told the story , Veialis trailer had some interesting shots that i for one have no idea where they even came from (in-game) but overall i would say if i had to pick just 1 it's Jowi.

It's funny how these trailers are much better than what i was expecting to compete against from what i got to see on YT , wish i had spent more time making mine and submit it later when i maybe had some better ideas xD

Again Good Luck to everyone , i'm really curious if what the devs pick as top 5 will match what we voted here o/

WolfyPlayss likes this.
  4. cfHatter

First, I want to say congratulations to the creators that made Top 10; however, I, among others, am unable to understand how some of those videos made it to Top 10 over other entries. I am sure we will never get to know what criteria was used for choosing the entries, but I do think that something does need to be stated for any contestant’s benefit. I think that there were a lot of excellent entries, more than just 10, and am confused as to why some – such as family name Aeryus – could possibly be tossed aside. I watched each Top 10 trailer multiple times to get a true feel for each and I – without names – feel comfortable saying that there are at least 4 that do not deserve to be in the Top 10 over other entries.

In the grand scheme of it all, I feel that the Top 10 is and/or will be discouraging to video/content creators in future contests. With some videos having such beautiful shots, layouts, transitions, and more, it surprised me to see some entries that are nothing more than looking at a bunch of NPCs throughout, or listening to constant talking – not something done in trailers. There are some videos that do not even show off the Remastered graphics and look like just a normal video. After watching the trailers, it seems to me that some were chosen purely based off a single piece of content such as lots of shiny armor, T9 horse, time-lapse, or there was a single scene/piece of content that you wanted in the trailer. As such, these trailers were chosen for the Top 10 not because of the overall trailer but for that single aspect. I don’t want to belittle any entry as they are good, and they required effort and thought but I am just at a loss.

I think in an earlier post it was said well: “some of these don't look like trailers at all and it's sad that some other videos had so much praise and didn't get chosen.” Unfortunately, I do believe others went about addressing the wrong way or they were just mad they were not chosen but I must laugh about the Top 10 RNG comment made. I think if we could have something to understand it would make this a lot better but as it is right now, I could see future contests having even less entries than this one.

Again I want to say congratulations to the Top 10 finalists and please do not take anything I say as an attack. I simply just wanted to write this out once I realized others felt the same. All entries required creativity and drive, and for that I appreciate and enjoy watching almost any submitted entry.

5. Dremlock

Cytho's is the best but since this is a dumb popularity contest, who cares?

kudos to fermion's funny edits and aftereffect's excellent transitions.

Ellevria, Animagic and Asterotis like this.
  6. Asterotis

community votes = popularity contest/vote for friends/cm favs etc.

WolfyPlayss and Oriolus like this.
  7. CM Richter

Community Coordinator

Not at all! :)

The way we did it was put all the videos that fell within the rules into a giant document where the team gave points based on a rubric. Some of these criteria were showcasing the remastered features such as use of lighting, reflections, etc. Bonus points were given for things such a story or use of transitions.

We took all the points and came up with our top 10.

8. Ariioch

I think that the reason they didn't select your video is not the quality of it (because it is amazing and your video was in my Top3) but the music that you used. :<
    It have a license

#28 Ariioch, Sep 23, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  9. Ariioch

Also @CM Richter I think @Apageus isn't dissapointed because you didn't choose his trailer but because you picked videos that don't deserve to be in Top10 (not all ofc).

10. RainnellLynnMitarius

I think you guys should have told the competitor what criteria were going to be chosen in favor of being selected, rather than just "Create a fan trailer" I mean when a Dog goes to a competition, their breeder knows what criteria the pups will be judged on to be selected. Same would apply here in this case and to which it would have been nice to be specified too.

Many ppl would have done things differently surely! or make better usages of the content they might have recorded if such information would have been actually exposed! To say that its the GM's that "choose" the video when actually it's just a guideline of "is it filling all these categories? yes! check" I say it's as RNG as trying to get my Dandelion to TET without a Failstack XD

In the future it would be nice for the participant to be aware of this entirely---would make the winners or selected people come clean. ((Also that I didn't participate so no I'm not mad I didn't win. I'm simply a little sad for all these people that made amazing stuff and to which, were refused cause they didn't fill 1 or more of these requirements that were never stated))

11. cfHatter

I just wanted to point out to you, that if you read his description in the video he has a link to the music. Even in the title, it says that the song is Copyright Free which makes it eligible for the contest.

Azurs likes this.
  12. cfHatter

So you gave people bonus points for making up a story in their game trailer? That is an interesting approach but that should not really be criteria for creating a video game trailer. People don't watch video game trailers to watch a story, they watch it to see what is going to be in the game - graphics, combat, etc. In my personal opinion, a story is cool to add but it should not have gained ANY extra "points" as that was not the contest. The contest was not to create a story, it was to create a trailer.

I think everyone would agree that the first and foremost criteria should have been displaying and showing off the new remastered graphics considering this was a remastered trailer contest, so that was kind of the point. If a trailer did not really do that it should not be in the Top 10 and as I stated in my previous post, you have trailers that don't show the new graphics off other than seeing some shiny armor.

Lecker_Mettbrot and PsiGhost like this.
  13. Animagic

I am from the EU server, but objectively Cytho [NA] is the best! I'm afraid that the popular person will win as in the outfit competition.

14. PsiGhost

Agreed.
    While i'm grateful for CM Richter clarifying their criterias, it still throws up some questions.
    The whole point of the remastered update was to improve the game's graphic, so giving out bonus points for "story" is a contradiction. Also per Wikipedia's definition: "A trailer (also known as a preview or coming attraction) is a commercial advertisement for a feature film".
    Or in this case a video game. So a trailer's purpose is to attract new, potential players. So the whole aspect of advertising the remastered feature of BDO was thrown out of the window in favor of story and fancy transitions? Guess what, in my friend circle, many of which haven't even seen or heard of BDO were either put off or straight up weirded out by almost all entries. So if the premise of this contest was to advertise the new remastered feature, then the staff has failed to follow through that premise.

If I had any wishes for the next trailer contest, then it's full disclosure of the voting process and the criterias, a clear statement on what the purpose of the whole contest is and ****ing links to proper guides about how to edit videos for decent visuals and how to export them for maximum quality on youtube, because all entries except a handful are straight up horrible with no effort put into them, as if the creators are trying to troll. And no, statements like "I'm not experienced/i know i'm bad" or "I don't have the right tools" don't count. There was more than enough time to educate oneselve about the basics of proper video editing, recording and cinematography so one's entry would look at the very least somewhat serviceable.

15. Ariioch

Yes. Copyright free but it have a license which means that link to original music video need to be in the description of that video. Soo.. it means that if his video would win then Kakao would need to attach link to this music and author of it. :)
    Also if PA would use this trailer on their site to promote the game that would mean they have permission to this music and that would break the license.

Also they mention that music different from bdo music must be royalty free and non license

#35 Ariioch, Sep 23, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  16. MjK

MjK

"When you master some video editing tools but you don't have talent and creativity."

17. Azurs

Aeryus here.

I didn't need to link the music at all, I just did it in case someone liked the track... My song is completely free-to-use, no need to credit anyone at all. So I'm not disqualified, it's just their criteria is questionable or they didn't even watch my entry, cause even if mine isn't the best and I know that, I deserved to be in the top 10, modesty aside. I mean, come on. Most of the chosen ones didn't even try...

I would like to see an staff response regarding my entry, to be honest. My work isn't excellent, but it took many time from me to be just... ignored? Don't know, seriously.

At least, I would like to see Cytho winning this contest. He's, sincerely, the only one (or one of a few, okay) who has put some serious effort into his project, the transitions, video quality and cinematics; and me, as a content creator / video editor for more than 5 years, I respect that a lot and also respect how many time we spend on this kind of things.

Once again, I'm very disappointed.
    Good luck, Cytho.

Oriolus and PsiGhost like this.
  18. KrGame

Come on stop all to be triggered and have some respect for the staff who have selected this 10 trailer, I think it's difficult to choose but it's the opinion of the staff not yours. So stop to complaining you are not selected because your work was "superior" than the someone who have been selected. Seriously, it's not cool for all the members who have been selected. It's like : "The work of "someone selected" is superior than an other selected or than mine" your like kids seriously. (I'm not a pro in English so sorry if you don't understand)

Gloubi likes this.
  19. Azurs

I'm not going to start a discussion there, but clearly you don't have any idea on how many time of our life we need to spend in order to create something decent - to be just ignored after all.
    We are not triggered, we are disappointed, that's all. No recognition on your work is always frustrating.

20. FluffyQuack

Congrats to the nominees! I wasn't chosen, but I didn't expect I would be anyway.

I made an extended version of my trailer using more of the footage I recorded:

Ellevria, WolfyPlayss, Azurs and 2 others like this.