1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BDO Remastered Fan-Trailer Community Vote!

Discussion in 'Events' started by CM Richter, Sep 21, 2018.

?

BDO Remastered Fan-Trailer Community Vote

Poll closed Oct 1, 2018.
  1. Fermion [EU]

1.6%
  2. Mijikui [NA]

8.3%
  3. Jowi [EU]

4.1%
  4. Dark_Avenger [EU]

0.1%
  5. Veialis [EU]

33.0%
  6. WolfyPlayss [EU]

5.1%
  7. AfterEffects [EU]

23.8%
  8. PsychoticJinx [EU]

1.7%
  9. House_Mytilus [EU]

2.9%
  10. Cytho [NA]

19.3%
  1. FluffyQuack

I've heard examples of companies declining to use so-called free content because it wasn't attached to any license. I think that's because lawyers want things to be clearly defined so they don't get caught by some kind of legal backlash they couldn't predict. I'm surprised they would be against the creativecommons license as all they would need to do is place a small disclaimer on the store page that the trailer uses X music and they would be allowed to earn money off it.

Speaking of marketing, there's a couple of other things I find odd about the contest. Since this is about the Remastered version of the game, wouldn't you want to avoid music from the old version of the game? The only sample music we got was from the non-Remastered version of the game and I'm not sure if they ever clarified if it was okay to record music from the game itself so we could use the Remastered music. There's also several nominated videos with audio cracks and pops.

2. PsiGhost

Oof. A trailer is an advertisement, right? So making up a story in your trailer would fall under false advertising, since the depicted story can't be found inside the game, unless you literally use BDO's story and not something you made up.

I wonder why they even bothered mentioning that use of audio is our choice. It should have been "You are only allowed to use the provided sound files", which is how it has been in the last year's contest "May only contain Black Desert Online original music, provided intro and outro must be used at the start and end of the video. (Download ><)" (https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?threads/fan-made-trailer-contest.758/)

3. Lynk

Lynk Origins Mystic 61 EU

Oof I didn't make top 10
    But there are quite a few trailers that I expected to be here but didn't seem to have made it. @Azurs, I expected you to get atleast top 3, feelsbadman
    XO
    As a bit of consolation for myself i will still post my trailer

WolfyPlayss and Azurs like this.
  4. May I ask why some people are talking about EU/NA ? Is this related to their final choice ? :/

5. Fermion

I think ppl seem to forget one thing about these trailers , they said in the event page that we should " use our imagination to show them what we love the most about the game " . These trailers were not supposed to be an official thing made just to showcase the game , everyone has different aspects about the game that they like the most and as a result trailers ended up being different , some ppl showed a story , others life skills and grinding , others just threw together a bunch of world shots as if that's all the game has to offer , others simply moved their character all over the place showing how an in-game character looks , is there such a thing as a perfect trailer ? no , it's a fan-made video with content we believe to be the best in BDO , not an official trailer meant to make us PLAY or BUY BDO...

I'm pointing this out cuz i see ppl arguing over that for no reason , you can't say one trailer is better than the other just based on how nice the world shots are because that in no way describes BDO as a whole, plz just keep that in mind.

That being said , are some trailers better than others ? yes ofc , some of them clearly had more work put into them , i'm sure there are a lot of other good trailers that didn't make it in the top 10 , as i said in my previous comment i was expecting to compete against totally different videos , half of these i never saw before they were posted here. I can only assume that most ppl tried to make the best trailer they could with what they had , i personally couldn't even run bdo on 60 fps , others made the trailer wide-screen , all i'm saying is that here we judge the rankings based on who had the most creative and interesting trailer , not the ones that looked pretty , at least i would like to believe so xD

Anyway about the music issue idk what to say there , i personally also wanted to use a "copyright free" song but i changed my mind because i didn't want to have any issues at all when it came to the selection , most copyright free songs either only allow use on YOUTUBE alone or just don't allow use in commercial stuff so i avoided it because i wasn't sure if the trailers could potentially end up as commercial material or smth, the event page could have been worded better to avoid that issue :/
    Also the use of voices was also something i didn't consider , even in-game NPC voices cuz the event page said "we can't use text or VOICE AUDIO" just that... weird to even see them pick a trailer that has voice audio but oh well , i guess they picked the top 10 based on their own taste in what is "good".

I hope i didn't upset anyone , just voicing my thought for anyone willing to read this whole thing , have a good day o/

6. After Effects

After Effects AfterEffects DarkKnight EU

Damn Fermion summed it up perfectly. Looking at the description "use our imagination to show them what we love the most about the game", i tried to include as much shots of the things i love doing in the game. But its quite hard to include everyting without disturbing the flow of the video/music.
    My personal favorite if i have to be honest was Craksito

But i guess he didnt make it because of the music.
    I was also planning on using a "copyright free" track but changed my mind at some point becuse i knew that could be an issue.
    So i went and recorded the music straight from the game.
    And another regret i have is not recording in Ultra mode, but my computer just couldnt handle stable 30 fps :( so i had to go with regular remastered.

Zimtblog and WolfyPlayss like this.
  7. Anna Nygma

Where is the poll? Also, I loved Veialis' trailer. <3

MjK, Gloubi and KrGame like this.
  8. MjK

MjK

In a MMORPG every player character may have a personal story. As long as it fits with the lore, it's not a false advertisement. A lot of trailers (mostly CGI nowadays) use a little story in the universe they promote.
    Jowi's trailer follow a tamer, maybe his character ? He's a part of the big persistant world, it's his right and imagination to build up a story of this girl facing adversity. o_o (he deserves more votes !)

"A Night to remember" is the CGI trailer from The Witcher 3 release date, it happens in Toussaint. Before the last DLC (blood and wine) this country and the plot around vampires isn't playable. Yet, is it a false advertising ?

A short story can emphasize on a specific trait of the universe (tropes, key mechanic of the gameplay) or a character. It can be a oneshot so it's not a part of the story you will play, but it's related.

#68 MjK, Sep 25, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  9. Slabby

Everyone's hard work shows, but only one of these is close to being a solid game trailer for BDO. They would not make me want to try the game, but they are nice machinama.

WolfyPlayss likes this.
  10. Vanclyffe

My vote goes to Veialis [EU]

KrGame, Moen and Gloubi like this.
  11. Exfabla

1. PsychoticJinx [EU]

NotThisKindOfHero likes this.
  12. FrequentFlyer

Wonderful works ladies and gents! I’ll be ready for the next commercial contest! Good Luck to all entries!

13. Gunti

@CM Richter Are the top 5 videos no longer being chosen by kakao? It is to my knowledge that is what was specified in the post description prior to it suddenly changing. It made sense you guys were the one choosing in order eliminate any streamer/youtuber interference so why the change now?

#73 Gunti, Sep 26, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    WolfyPlayss likes this.
  14. melygab

My choise is for Veialis [EU]

KrGame and Gloubi like this.
  15. NoTear

My top 2 (no order)
    1. Jowi [EU]
    2. Cytho [NA]
    I also like Veialis [EU]

16. NoTear

what?? I can only vote one?! well.... I am from NA, so I voted for Cytho. Sorry about Jowi. I just really cannot decide which one is the best.

17. CM Richter

Community Coordinator

Nothing has changed other than us expanding it to top 50. We are also not excluding any outside marketing such as twitter campaigns, streamers, or youtubers.

18. Isanexia

My choise is for Veialis [EU]

Moen, KrGame and Gloubi like this.
  19. Gunti

@CM Richter Just to be sure, whoever wins the community vote wins the big prizes that were listed?

20. Fermion

@CM Richter i hope you are not implying that streamers and youtubers are allowed to send their ppl here to get free votes and that at the end the ones with the most votes will win the prizes cuz that would be just unfair :|

WolfyPlayss likes this.