1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BDO Remastered Fan-Trailer Contest

Discussion in 'Events' started by CM Richter, Aug 17, 2018.

1. CM Richter

Community Coordinator

In regards to players with huge followers, there really isn't a way that we can stop them from participating or letting their fans know about the contest. You'll just have to do your best to ensure you're one of the winners :)

Unfortunately you cannot :(

I enjoy wub wub as much as the next guy, but due to them needing a license for commercial purposes we cant allow this particular channel's music to be used. The reasoning behind this is if your video is chosen as a winner we will definitely want to use it for marketing purposes. This is also the reason why in the official rules it says that any entries become property of Kakao Games. The winner for the previous trailer contest is actually featured on our Steam Store page.

Hope this answers your question!

2. Zimtblog

How are the views then rated? will the top 10 be uploaded again?

#122 Zimtblog, Sep 11, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  3. CM Richter

Community Coordinator

The views based prizes are based on total views so we don't want to disqualify any early comers. That being said a video with a lot of views might not necessarily be ones that we choose to nominate for the top 10. The criteria we are using isn't just the most popular.

WolfyPlayss likes this.
  4. Zimtblog

the top 10 is rated after views. the last videos have little chance to catch up with the calls. My question is: will the top 10 start with 0 calls or new uploaded to the BDO page?
    Or are the views already valid in the top 10?
    i hope you understand my english :D

5. Ariioch

^ This

#125 Ariioch, Sep 11, 2018
  6. ZaSlayer

I think they will nominate 10 videos, which 5 of them will win by community-voting. The other 5 winners are based on total views, also from these, who are not nominated. Hard to compete against Youtuber/Streamer :(

7. Namoo

I actually got most of my inspiration for my trailer from that particular trailer, as far as telling a story while still making it a trailer + showcasing the game. I don't think good trailer's necessarily have to tell stories, since it's up to people's taste I suppose, but I've always found trailers that integrate a story to be very compelling. I also agree that using the beat of songs / making the trailer actually go with the music makes for fantastic transitions and also just makes the song choice in general just feel more... meaningful?

8. Namoo

From what I understand, and anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, that there's like 2 different voting categories: staff community pick, where the top 10 are decided by staff, which then top 5 are determined by community votes; and top 5? views, which are just determined by views.
    Honestly, the whole top 10 winner and top views thing is kinda confusing to me, at least the way it's explained in the original post.

9. FluffyQuack

Aren't the rewards for views this:
    If that's the case, then views are pretty much trivial. The real rewards are part of the top 10 which is staff picked and community voted.

Although, part of the OP is a bit difficult to understand due to typos and/or weird wording.
    This doesn't make sense. Out of 10 nominees, 5 winners will get 1st place to 10th place prizes? How could a top 5 winner get a 6th place prize?

And then there's mentions of top 5 views winners and top 50 views winners. I'm assuming the latter actually is supposed to say top 5 as well, but I don't know. Some clarification would be nice. @CM Richter

Namoo likes this.
  10. Namoo

You just perfectly summed up everything I found confusing about their original post lol
    I also find just the voting dates to be confusing, as well. It says: [9/17/2018 ~ 9/21/2018] - 10 videos will be selected as staff nominees for the community to vote on during the follow dates 9/17/2018 ~ 9/30/2018]
    So is staff picking from 9/17 ~ 9/21? Does community voting actually go from 9/17 ~ 9/30 or is it really 9/21 after staff voting period ~ 9/30?

11. Zimtblog

well, I will not support that.

12. Azurs

Here's my entry for the contest and also my first ever message on the forums (hihi)!
    Good luck to all of you, boys and girls!

Aelisah, Ellevria, Jowi2k and 3 others like this.
  13. FluffyQuack

My entry to the contest:

Recorded at 2560x1440p@60fps at Remastered setting. Music track is the Epheria theme. I focused the footage on showcasing the new remastered graphics.

#133 FluffyQuack, Sep 11, 2018
    Ellevria and Zimtblog like this.
  14. FluffyQuack

Now as I'm done with my video I'm looking at what other people have submitted, and I just have to ask...

What was in this video which made it get pulled down by youtube? My first thought was copyrighted music, but I think there's a specific message for that, I don't think it would say the video broke TOS.

15. PsiGhost

You do realise that this particular contest is about the remastered version of BDO? So it makes sense to showcase the graphical advancements that were made. Of course you a free to tell a story, which is even moreso impressive if you manage to properly include the remastered aspect.
    Also there is no point in critiquing, because obviously almost all entries' creators are either completly clueless or didn't even try. AFAIK most somewhat decent creators are either long gone from the game or don't participate this time around because of the shitshow that went down last year.

IMHO "beautiful transitions" are pointless if you don't even get basics things right like video quality, aspect ratios, recording angles and color correction. What's the point of eye-candy transitions if the whole video is just one big blurry mess? I also think that BDO isn't suited for fast paced GMVs, because the game is way too detailed and animated for most pieces of today's music. In combination with the low image quality, it's essentially like putting your face underneath a faucet at maximum water pressure and at the same time trying to guess which letters your eye-doctor is holding up. It works beautifully for AMVs/animes, since animes offer neatly prepacked scenes which tick all checkboxes off the aforementioned aspects. So it's easy for us to bring these scenes into line with music and transitions.

Azurs likes this.
  16. RainnellLynnMitarius

omg! THIS IS BEAUTIFUL! ON POINT, the music, the transitions, the feels ---it's very very well done! Bravo!
    [​IMG]

Azurs likes this.
  17. RainnellLynnMitarius

Well Ask @Azurs then ....cause this amazing individual managed to understand and do what I was saying about transitions, music, and scene... a beautiful showcase of the graphics all in sync with notes and with transitions that are fluids and just accentuate the beauty of the BDO world and colors! This Video right there is what I was trying to explain!

This here is worth a win, at least to a minimum top 3! Bravo once again to it's creator Gorgeous work <3

Azurs likes this.
  18. Azurs

Oh my god! Thanks a lot for that words, I really appreciate them! Achieving the outcome of the video was really hard tho, as the game doesn't offer any kind of "free camera" mode so we can just mess around ^^
    I hope we'll be able to see some new great features soon! This also was my first time trying to edit BDO, so it could have been definitely better

RainnellLynnMitarius likes this.
  19. PsiGhost

I'm not trying to downplay the effort he has put into his work, but i personally wouldnt't call a wobbly cam effect, a run-of-the-mill le emotional repeating the same major keys soundtrack and the same camera perspective in almost all scenes "gorgeous".Human bodies have two sides? Shocking, i know!
    Jokes aside, I can see why people would like his entry, and he definitely did put more thought and effort into his work than 99% of the other entries. Agreed on the atleast top 3 or 5.

@Azurs please render your video in 4k60, even if your source footage is only 1080p. This should remove all the vaseline that was smeared onto your video.

20. Azurs

So you basically took your time to hate on my entry for free. Alright then, whatever I guess...