1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BDO Sales: Mobile Vs All

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by 2Cents, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Smileybones

Smileybones Ranger 62 NA

It takes literally 2 connected braincells to know that PC/console gaming is a very profitable market and capitalist companies won't let it unexploited.

Thanks for your attention-seeking drama topic over a non-factor.

2. Cat Box

Pearl Abyss isnt stupid enough to throw everything onto mobile version, they are just expanding their territory. They are still kings of MMOs in terms of game quality, they want to be kings of mobile as well. Look at Blizzard maintaining WoW, overwatch, hearthstone etc etc. This is no different.

Reigne Irkalla likes this.
  3. ghoulz666

Addiction? How do you get addicted to garbage @#$ phone games?

It's just a more advanced version of the Tiger handheld. The illusion of quality gaming.

4. crawlord

crawlord Mystic NA

simple mafs a few clicks of research can do .

japan.jpg

https://massivelyop.com/2018/05/11/...-had-a-record-first-quarter-thanks-to-mobile/

5. crawlord

crawlord Mystic NA

ive cited a source above.Im surprised people dont pay attenchuns

6. Catastigma

mobile game are made for casual player.. casual player are 99.92% of the world population... its completly normal that mobile game is more profitable..

All studio do Mobile game now... mobile game are the much profitable think ever. its the kingdom of F2P p2w game.

7. Mafesio

This is the middle paragraph from the link you provided:

The investor documents for the previous fiscal year on the whole tout the expansion of the franchise around the globe and into new markets, particularly the mobile sector. North America and Europe continue to dominate sales of the original Black Desert MMORPG in particular, accounting for 56% of the game’s sales (contrast that with NCsoft’s regional report yesterday).

I put in bold what I think contains the only relevant information in that piece, NA/EU account for 56% of sales. That's leaves only 44% for the other regions and that mobile. This would mean it's not possible using any formula in mathmatics to come to the conclusion that BDO Mobile has outsold all regions combined.

Edit: looking at list of regions that BDO operates in, mobile would have to be a very small part of those sales, unless only NA/EU spend money and the rest of the regions don't spend anything thing, even if you cut the 44% in half, which I think is modest, that's 22% for mobile.

8. crawlord

crawlord Mystic NA

previous fiscal year no mobile new fiscal year mobile

#shrug.

some people . comparing data when mobile did not exist with data when mobile has launched

lmao.

you are correct "you think " its the only relevant information in that piece. Keep wrongly thinking so.

9. 2Cents

I wouldn't consider this a casual issue
    That sounds correct. I believe they where referring to last 3-4 months in the podcast. I didn't take the time to review it again though.

crawlord likes this.
  10. Mimimimi

I'll just leave the original source of revenue numbers here:
    https://www.pearlabyss.com/ir/view?InfoFlag=3&Idx=171&Page=1&NowNum=6
    http://wc.onoffjoin.com/pearlabyss/111/EN (flash required)

It is obvious that (far) more people are owning a smartphone than a gaming rig. Therefore, mobile games gain lots of more (potential) users. The overall revenue of mobile games vs other platforms has reached over 50% years ago already, but in general the difference isn't as striking as the numbers presented for BDO mobile.

What i couldn't find is statistics per country. I would be really interested in that, to find out if the asian market is more "mobile crazy" than ours. For Pearl Abyss that's certainly a good incentive to pump money into their mobile games. But in the end it is also just another product in their line-up, it doesn't mean the PC version will be abandoned because of that ( I hope ;) )

https://www.statista.com/outlook/203/102/video-games/europe
    https://newzoo.com/insights/article...137-9-billion-in-2018-mobile-games-take-half/

#30 Mimimimi, Sep 13, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    crawlord likes this.
  11. Mafesio

Could you point out from the source the other relevant information that would come to that conclusion then? I mean it says 56% of NA/EU account from game sales. How can you extrapolate from that source anything other than there is 44% of the remaining sales are from other regions AND mobile? Or are you saying that the %56 of sales coming NA/EU is incorrect?

12. 2Cents

My interpretation of what he was saying is the data is counting the yearly results. That is not sufficient in this case because Mobile didn't exist for that entire year. If you instead counted just the last 3 months of revenue in which both Mobile & PC where present, the numbers would be quite different.

13. Mimimimi

[​IMG]

14. Lemon Crush

Lemon Crush CreamLemon Witch 62 NA

If you didn't know mobile would eclipse PC you have been living under a rock. You dont need data to know that anything mobile is a goldmine.

15. 2Cents

The numbers demonstrate a lot more than general statements. The release of information like has also made people aware of stats they otherwise may not know. People know exactly where NA/EU stand from a revenue viewpoint due to the stats.

While it's not shocking at all that mobile games are successful a lot of people here questioned it because the numbers are so high. They also bring up valid points like the population of South Korea vs the entire NA/UE population.

Part of the point is to bring awareness to the gaming community as well. If customers want PC MMO's to continue into the future their spending habits may need to reflect it. I'm not certain how many full scale MMO's will be created after Ashes.

crawlord likes this.
  16. Lemon Crush

While that may be true mobile gaming is alot bigger over there as compared to say the americas. I have doubts BDO for mobile in NA/EU would out shine BDO for PC in NA/EU.

It's big in asia because everyone has a phone or device to play mobile. Not everyone has gaming machines there and space is limited.... which is why pc cafes are so big there. It is a different demographic.

17. crawlord

crawlord Mystic NA

mobile is a force and frankly i am tired of eu /na bdo elitists crying as if their expenditure is superior than say other regions. Mobile has changed that notion therefore no one should be surprised that their caterwauling (bdo pc) does not matter to the devs. Bdo was a stepping stone to finance P.A's other business ventures. Job well done imo.

#37 crawlord, Sep 14, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  18. Lemon Crush

I dont think anyone is arguing that.

19. 2Cents

Job well done Archaege. The future may hold great prospects for PA or be a complete failure at this point. They are raising the stakes quite a bit with such large ambitions and goals. They are also spreading themselves out a lot which isn't always profitable.

The fact still remains that BDO success was highly reliant on Steam and no competition. If there where any other viable options a lot more people would have left BDO. The sad truth is the industry just isn't producing many strong MMO's.

There are a few novelty games on the horizon, but not much of this class. Ashes is stepping it up with more action based combat, but it's to early to know where it's headed. Their development team has been increasing substantially, but their decision to use a Publisher with a bad reputation caused a lot of stir.

crawlord likes this.