1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BDO should focus more on how it presents its Story/Lore

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Maevynn, Jul 27, 2017.

1. MightyMidgit

MightyMidgit Ranger NA

I love lore and story. But at the same time, I like how BDO handles it's storytelling. There is no world-ending plight that you personally have to solve. You live in the world and learn about it as you do the quests for the various areas. Any story in the game is mostly history of the region or personally involves your relation to the black spirit. While I agree that there should be more fleshed out story content, I don't think they should deviate from what they are doing, just do more of it. I want more personal development with the black spirit and more history. It makes little sense for one character to save the world in an MMO where there are tens of thousands of people just like you. I don't want anything like Final Fantasy. BDO is not made for that.

• Calpheon storyline teaches about the political disputes of the regions, but in the end is just a way for you black spirit to gather power.
    • Media storyline shows the research into the ancients and hints at ties with the black spirit, which is becoming too powerful.
    • Valencia storyline shows that there is a direct tie between the ancients and the nature and origin of the black spirit. (Valencia part two literally has no purpose)
    • There should be a questline that further expands on the history of the ancients and the black spirit in the Margoria region, specially due to the ruins under the ocean.
    • I don't know anything about the Kamasylvia storyline, but hopefully it further expands on the black spirit as well.

2. Maevynn

Right, a well-presented story doesn't have to mean "we save the world". Though I will point out that we do eventually end up doing that in the first questline by defeating Jordine/Belmorn, then again in Mediah where we foil Illezra's plot with the help of others, and then in Valencia we learn we're the special Chosen One. (And that isn't even touching on the fact that each Player Character is a particular person in the world. The Tamer is the princess of a fallen kingdom, the Kunoichi is Ichi of the Oeki clan, the Wizard/Witch are particular people (Deneve and Lordred) from another dimension, etc. etc.) But either way, they definitely have a more mundane/casual approach to it for the most part (those things usually happen more towards the end) and it's cool to see things from the perspective of what's initially a foreigner nobody really knows about.

Mostly the nature of the story isn't the problem (though the Balenos→Serendia→Calpheon stuff is pretty horrible in terms of how the cutscenes were written/voice acted/translated), it's that it's jumbled and confusing (you can accidentally entirely skip parts of the storyline) and that the presentation (bad cutscenes, weird voice acting, cutscenes suddenly cutting off in Mediah and beyond, NPCs flying out of the left field acting as if we've known them for so long, so-on).

You do bring up a good point, BDO capitalizes on one particular thing: You (the player) aren't doing this alone. It still is written as if there's only one of us, and there are times we do some pretty influential things in terms of the lore, but the NPCs put forth a lot more effort and sort of set things up for us to swoop in and problem-solve. That doesn't have to change at all, you don't need a "The World is Ending!" Story Arc to be interesting, but they have to get a better grip on what's going on in the early areas especially, and put more effort into the storylines themselves to make them fun and engaging.

Pepelu likes this.
  3. Ihmbreil

...found a Youtube channel that has a nice collection of lore, https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLP7l7BEx2TFCHpPohta8Hy38erQmztvtY

One of the dev diaries mentioned the cutscenes:

"5. Users have requested the re-introduction of lore and cutscenes that were removed during the main story quest overhaul.

A) By progressing main and sub quests, you will be able to see all relevant cut scenes. In Calpheon, for instance, you can see all existing cutscenes by completing the Monarch of Darkness story quest. There are still some cutscenes that players cannot watch again, after they have completed the quest. This is scheduled to be fixed in the future."

https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?threads/dev-diary-1.36155/

#23 Ihmbreil, Aug 11, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    Pepelu and Reigne Irkalla like this.
  4. Dalenos

:o nice

5. Pepelu

Agree... Really hope they will introduce interesting characters and not the stereotypical nice guy Edan and Orwen or bad guy Jordine with no personalities. At least the Black Spirit is entertaining...

6. Joungf

The most important question is: If there exist Black Spirits in the lore - shouldn't there also exist the opposite - the White Spirits?
    *Curious looking Oo*

7. Zephan

Black Spirits came from the black stone, a meteor that crashed into Valencia. So where would "White Spirits" come from?

8. DaisyWynn

Especially for the roleplayers a more detailed lore would be great. I also think that a better lore is also interessting for the casual player who isn't in the Roleplay Scene and it would improve also the content and the view of it.
    If I would do a quest, it would be more interesting to find out more about some species and conflicts then rather sending me, without informations of the creatures in the woods to kill some creeps. People should feel like they are part of the story. Black Desert has such a beautiful scenery, it would be a pitty!
    :)

9. Joungf

Well, using my imagination I can see countless how and why "White Spirits" appear, originate or occur.

10. FalkoHárfagri

As a huge SWTOR player, ive came along to BDO from a friend, I was so hyped by the char creation and hoping there would be nice storylines to go with it but nope. Like whats the point of having the nicest char you have ever made for a game (spending like around an hour making one if you are picky on the details like me) and then realising that (for what ive seen so far and i doubt its different in the rest of the game) you never see it in the cutscenes, you dont even see what your char says! Is the char like when you paint your car? Meant so others only/mainly can glare at it? And all that is without talking of the abscense of voice that SPEAKS! Not just laughs and "YARGHH".Its like if youre mute and the npcs youre talking with can read your mind and repeat what you said so you can know what your char was saying. I know some people here wouldnt like to have a voice cause they might find it non-fitting to their char, but it should be made that you can choose to have a voice or not and if you want one, you can choose through many voices. I doubt its that hard, they already got the voice actors for the non speaking sounds. At least an english voice acting, nothing big compare to multi-language acting. Also for the char creation should add a few more non-asian female looking faces, cause when im making a valkyrie its not very realistic, i gotta paint her with makeup so it looks better. The region of the body custom is nice but I cant barely edit the eyes, nose and lips to a different shape, size and aspect. Add presets elements. Bring us storylines! And choices that really impacts the story!

11. kikiapplus

I agree 100%! BDO/PA please dedicate your time and effort into STORY! Make the quests interesting and make players care about the NPCs. Black Desert can be so much more if given this detail work. I mean its got amazing combat and a beautiful world so give it a breathe taking story to go alone with it.

12. Mebrielle

This would be awesome!
    I tried my best to follow the story in game multiple times..but honestly I ended up forgetting it this way so watched some great videos made by wonderful people!

I can see huge potential with this story line, just as you said, a little more effort needs to be put into it!