1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Staff Response BDO worth playing instead of Wow?

Discussion in 'New Adventurers' started by Sheyran, May 12, 2020.

1. Sheyran

Hello everyone,

I played for years to wow, especially as a pvp player 70% of the time, the rest was dungeon and raids. But BFA is from far the worst extension and totally forgot the pvp players.

So I'm searching for a new game to play and focusing on a nervous pvp with a big skill cap based. I don't want to win cause of my overpowered gear, but because I play my character well.
    I watched few videos and check in reddit about the game and it seems to be very complexe for all the things you can do (nodes, Gathering, craft, etc..) and its a good point, if you put aside the rng based

So for Pve if I understand correctly, it's grinding without any interest, there is no dungeon, no raids, just few boss on the map, it's basically killing things to get the ressources you need.
    And for the Pvp, it seems to be very nervous, and satisfying, with lot of classes with their specialities to learn if you want to counter them.

So my question are (yeah I speak a lot before asking, sorry D:) the pvp is good enough to be played without the pve part for a long period of time without getting bored ?
    Is the gameplay make a big difference between a good player and a bad one?
    What do you think about the game in general and especially in pvp?

Big thanks for all the people who will answer me, and please throw lot of details to help me out to find my new social life killer .

2. PancakeRift

People are gonna tell you "its impossible to catch up to the PvP scene". The truth is they just suck

IMPORTANT: If you start now you can get a free full TRI boss set. This will save you like 2 months of ingame time. The event ends on the 24th of June I think?

It will take you about 6 to 8 months to get competitive gear (without free TRI boss gear) if you arnt stupid with your decision making. You can also create trial characters right off the bat to test PvP. They are fairly well geared characters that are restricted to PvP zones such as Battle Arena, Arena of Arsha and RBF. Most people play on these just for balanced gear match ups so you wont have any issue finding people to fight. They can also kill players who are fairly well geared. So you can sink MANY hours in PvP with newbies and vets that have the same gear.

The grind in this game is rough though, it is also very much skill based in PvP. You can be gear carried, but a skilled player will beat a gearlet most of the time. This game is rather p2w in the sense you can turn dollars into liquid silver, but this isnt too strong. You need to inject almost 100k to be "end game". There is a handful of players that have done that but they have no impact on the game at the end of the day due to the way the game works.

Progression is PvE and Events. Grinding for infinite amount of hours, Life skill your heart out or just do events. A mix of all 3 is key imo. Either way you probs gonna spend more time in PvE than PvP.

Most of the progression is solo but they are adding in more n more party content.

S4lty0n3 likes this.
  3. Proun

Welcome!
    Your gear needs to be almost equal to your opponents for your skill to be the deciding factor. They got too much AP (Attack Power)? They will oneshot you. They stacking tons of evasion, and your gear isn't good for accuracy, you wont deal any damage to them as you won't hit them. Big part of the pvp here is gear, sadly.
    The enhancing progress (unless you buy) is utterly insanely rng based. Be prepared for madness.
    Basically!
    Well, some of the classes do play entirely different from others, so diversity is given, as well as counters and counterplay to certain classes.
    You will basically have to spend months (if you're lucky and active) or longer to even consider PvP, much more if you want to PvP for profit.
    If the gear is equal, yes. If the gear difference is big enough, even bad players can kill worse equipped good players with ease.
    Being a good player will make PvE more rewarding (knowing how to effectively grind helps a ton)
    It's a beautiful looking game with very good character customization. It's a very good way to spend a lot of time (because you will need to). If you don't mind having to grind braindead mobs for a while and gamble for your equipment, hop on! But stay away from the PvP for a while. Without decent gear, it is mainly frustrating.

4. Ternezia

Ternezia DarkKnight 60 EU

Welcome :) I am also a WoW pvp-er.

Others above me described the situation in this game very accurately. It has no bgs to instantly jump into, and you'll need to spend a lot of time with pve (which is mob grinding), or do lifeskilling, or both, to get decent gear for pvp, because pvp is considered an end-game aspect here.

I play BDO for lifeskilling most of all. If I want pvp I prefer to wait until SL in WoW when they will bring back pvp vendors.

5. Ashaara

Why not play both xD Bdo is an Afk experience, enough time to raid some overrated cringe dungeons

6. Otrsor

Otrsor Sorceress 63 EU

Yes, but, to be competitive you will need to do pve stuff, gear is required yet not as much for nodewars of T1 and is easily reached, if you want to go on sieges or higher tier nodewars you will need for sure a looong grind or lifeskill setup and many afk hours (or a lot of luck enhancing).

I recomend you to test it and be sure to use either sorc, ninja, tamer, kuno and maybe lahn awak as those classes are iframe based (lahn and kuno not as much but still have a good amount of them and tools to deal with higher geared players) which means for them most matchups will be pretty much skill matchups and gear wont be that relevant nor needed for them.

Other options can be warrior (awak) and archer.

The other classes have overall low skill floors, low skill ceilings or simply require quite a bit of gear, zerk for example has quite a high skill ceiling but without gear it just doesnt work.

All that being said, you can make a trial character and just go to the battle arena and do duels against other players with trial characters or similar gear and enjoy it for hours every day without ever doing any pve, so just get the free week, create a trial character, read a guide of the class you wanna test and jump into BA, pvp is for sure fun and skillfull just keep in mind, pvp in bdo is not anything like wow, its volatile fast and unforgiving, the whole pvp happens before the CC lands unlike wow where pvp is an exange of CDs and timing the burst and interrupts (in bdo you have all that, but in top of it, you cant allow yourself to get CCed, not even once)

7. Roos Skywalker

It is worth playing both. WoW and BDO are nothing alike.

8. Sheyran

Hello,

A big thanks for the answers, that helped me a lot, i think I will pass my way. The gameplay is very cool and nervous how I like, but the lack of content pvp pve for end game and the gear requirement is going to disappoint me after few hundreds hours of farm.

Take care everyone

9. S4lty0n3

If you @Sheyran spend the same money into bdo like you do on WOW (so like 100-120€ a Year) you will be absolutly fine! Bdo "DLC`s" or Addons or whatever you call it are free for all so you can just invest your money into Cashshop if you want to. I would say you will need once 100€ + Basegame and you will need never again spend a single € here. So when people start to say "BDO is P2W" or something like that dont let you trigger cause it is not.

If you try there are 7 Days Trial options before you need to pay the 10€. Enjoy and have alot of fun :-)

10. Kymaera

Can't really PvP until you spend time PvEing or Lifeskilling to acquire the gear to pvp. Very item based game....sadly...and since enhancing gear can be toxic (rng based) i actually wouldn't recommend the game to anyone. They also don't really punish exploiters so a lot of the people in top tier gear exploited their way to the top.

However, if u just want laid back casual pvp, u can always try to find people who wouldnt mind PvPing in the Battle Arena using Oasis gear/Test character gear. The only Battleground in bdo right now is not equalized so...prepare to get stomped. I highly recommend making Test Characters to try out each class and their main/succession/awakening talent trees before picking one to level up.

*I'm extremely biased because i quit the game 2x for 8+ months each time because of the rng i have when enhancing. Also, i don't exploit so at a disadvantage there too.

11. PancakeRift

I do fine in RBF and BA with trial characters.

So no, its really not dude. Even T1 NW scene you can gear up for within 2 months.

My main has 312dp when I do RBF on it and I can still average over 300 points per game...

12. PancakeRift

The game has lots of content, its just unorthodox content.

I recommend trying the game with a free trial account n see how you enjoy it. Barrier for entry is pretty easy these days with all the catch up mechanics.

13. GM Fenix

Game Master

Hi there,

I can see that many of the community have shared their experiences and opinions on how they think the game is played and what the requirements are to reach the level of gameplay you are aiming for is. Of course, the best way would be to try our a 7 Day Free Trial like @PancakeRift mentioned. The opinion that truly matters, in the end, is your own. If you feel that the content is worth putting the time and effort into, then we'll be happy to have you join us on our journey. If not, well we'll be sad to see you go but we wish you all the best regardless <3

14. MisterJoy

Nice bait. You forgot to tell him to use the next known from kr exploit to get a loan for BiS gear.

15. PancakeRift

Bait? I know lots of newer players that are above 570gs within 7months.

16. Muhaha

Muhaha Valkyrie 62 NA

PvP is super enjoyable, full open world pvp (except town/safe zones unless they're negative karma), if you didn't like someones face, you could flag and kill em. Can lead to alot of fun Guild vs Guilds.
    Yes, the concept of a good player and bad is noticable. I've seen some shitters that are geared but have no skill, and vice versa.
    PvP wise, super fun, gear makes a pretty big difference, but skill is still a major factor.
    If you ever played a true combat game, where you have to block, dodge, counter, or something of the sort when they attack, you'll probably fall in love with the combat. Hell, I was more of First Person Shooter player, but got sold on the combat system. Tried it only one day on RU servers before NA release, pre-ordered it, been playing since NA release. xD