1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boss changes are bad and here's WHY: BDO NA and IHA EU response

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by punkie, May 20, 2018.

1. LightningFFXIII-4

Boss changes are good and the Dev who got the idea should be promoted. They should also make the Relic scroll/Forbidden Book/Ancient Relic scrolls as well as the Boss scroll locations a safe zone.

Also, it should be made, that if you have a fishing pole on your main hand, you cannot be PVP'ed. This is to prevent griefers from attacking AFK Fishers.

2. Drakias

Drakias Ninja 61 NA

I think they should stagger the offin spawns, instead of all of them at 2100 it should be one at 1300, another at 1700, and the last at 2100. That way more people can actually participate.

They also need to revert this channel swap lockout timer. This is probably the most annoying change recently even over all the balancing changes.

3. phantomkitkat

Making the hide character function less reluctant to work would also be really nice, karanda fights are more packed than ever but it's apparently not enough half the time, even if my fps tanks. I've made sure again and again that the function is on, it's just seemingly inconsistent on whether or not it works and with how many people there are ready for the bosses now that the times are fixed, it hurts to play around.

punkie likes this.
  4. blendt3c

I'm new to this game and the recent changes are not fun.

These suggested changes by this thread would be great.

I agree!

MoZex and punkie like this.
  5. Apollo9819

I agree, this is terrible please revert.

punkie likes this.
  6. Hawkes

i'm old to this game and i agree with the guy above me

punkie likes this.
  7. Moen

Moen Sorceress 8 EU

I agree.

punkie likes this.
  8. punkie

Just submitted to Kakao for Pearl Abyss weekly feedback.

There is no order to importance here as these are the main issues that need focusing and attention immediately. Before these issues are handled, much of any further feedback is moot.

Let it also be made perfectly clear that in this document I am focusing only on systems that are already in the game - while there have been other ideas by players on ways to fix problems - I gave myself the task of writing this feedback using only things that could be edited or reworked, no new systems needed.

PvP
    Channel wide PvP lockouts are abhorrent. Being forcefully removed from Battle Arena and duels while not even near a boss is completely nonsensical.

There was never a major issue of PvP at World Bosses beyond Vell. While one could argue that there are many changes needed to boating systems and combat surrounding them, the most simple solution would have been to make Vell’s Realm into a safe zone. For a majority of world bosses - flagging up simply got your karma reduced and you instantly died due to massive amounts of AoE.

Valencia 6 was once the PvP server, and it still had boss spawns on it. Killing the boss took longer, but they still definitely happened. Even on a PvP server, over time, PvP at bosses waned for the most part. This proves that not only is PvP at these bosses a non-issue, but that the community had already encountered it in more forced ways through the PvP server and still got kills. Were there people unaware of Val6 who went there and got killed and cried? Yes. That is not a fault of the PvP system, but rests with Pearl Abyss and players for the PvP icon/system on that channel not being apparent enough or understood before changing channel.

PvP is a part of Black Desert Online. Do not limit it outside of Weekly Boss spawns, only limit it with the use of safe zones or other mechanics, not channel wide. We already know with events like Terrmian Water Park and Ellie’s Mystical Lake that safe zones can be created and implemented rather quickly.

Channel Timers, Multiple Kills & Despawns
    There is no reason to limit players not participating in content from changing channels. There isn’t even a good reason to disallow channel changes from those who are participating in world bosses.

With our discord, we work on community sourced information for all charts and times, with the channel swap timer and forced despawns, we are unable to check if bosses are truly despawning on other channels or are just not being called. These changes are a self-fulfilling prophecy that ensures less bosses are being killed every spawn, giving way to more terrible schedules and times. Since the changes, some world bosses that we have historically seen full clears on, like Kzarka and Karanda, are receiving no calls/despawns. Kutum and Nouver are receiving less kills as a whole than they were when channel change was allowed. This isn’t putting more boxes into players hands or on the markets -- this is putting less.

Forced despawns also lead to issues with people feeling cheated. They know they can achieve supposed doubled drop rates if they are on a channel that manages to kill the boss. Locking players out of killing a boss multiple times does nothing to help server lag as players are now stacking on Velia channels for bosses like Nouver, Kutum, and Offin to make sure kills happen. While players will spread out a bit more as time goes on with a fixed schedule -- channels will still have more than enough to kill the boss due to people being unwilling to give up a for sure kill for a questionable one (especially with Offin mechanics and loot despawns).

Schedules
    Fixed schedules are not inherently bad, it is the implementation of them that is wrong. I am not arguing for a return to random spawns - in fact, I would like to see field bosses changed to fixed as well, but only if the schedule serves to allow for more players - not less - to be able to boss. The best way to achieve this, since fixed boss spawns are already implemented, would be a 24 hour schedule that does not disadvantage players from other regions such as Australians and Europeans playing on the NA server, or those with college and work schedules that do not fit being around for most of the daytime on the West Coast.

I will mainly focus on NA server at this time, as that is the server I am playing on and have the best understanding of. Make no mistake, these issues are seen across EU and every other region. Fixed times lock players out of content completely. This is not good. Random spawns were frustrating in the amount of time players felt that they had to wait for a boss when it was in window, potentially missing them due to grinding or doing other things in the game. It was also frustrating to look at timers and know you wouldn’t make a boss that day. With set schedules like this it’s been incredibly frustrating for people to know for certain they won’t be able to make any bosses. Pearl Abyss has excluded entire countries under Kakao’s licensing.

World Bosses should not forcefully overlap.

Offhandedly early this morning I asked chatters in BDO NA for people to come up with some schedules that would work - not only for them - but the player base as a whole. In under 30 minutes I got two responses. Here they are, including my previous example.

Punk - https://i.imgur.com/1XXhLRN.png

Snowlia - https://i.imgur.com/AXLF3dr.png

Ravanuh - https://i.imgur.com/5cuZcLu.png

Special consideration was given to players who participate in node wars for the current fixed time schedule, however, with a more 24 hour schedule like this, they could still be included by making bosses at other times, as they were doing with random timers. It should also be noted that most node wars do not go for the full duration, and many times whole regions are complete before the two hours. I won’t speak for siege times here because I haven’t looked at data for Sundays.

Rumors have been floating around for awhile that Weekly Bosses have to be hand spawned by GMs, given some of the errors that we have seen occur around these spawns, it does seem quite likely. A schedule better suited for a 24h global server with a vibrant community would work best, however if schedules are like this due to them needing to be handspawned versus being on a script - the only logical solution would be to return to random timers (and shorten windows/respawn timers to take away some of the randomness) while a solution is properly developed and implemented by Pearl Abyss.

Unexpected and Silent Changes
    We try to serve the BDO NA community as accurate information as possible, sourcing it from the patch notes, it seems as though the original chart that was put up on Wednesday was edited at some time and bosses were moved around, and notes later added about Vell. Setting a fixed schedule and then changing things on it means people had looked at them, made plans for their weekends, and are now upset. This is another example where the moderation team of BDO NA has taken on the role of an unpaid support team to convey changes that were not well publicized.

Loot/Auras
    For a while our documents had information from a website called BDOCodex that had data for various loot tiers for boss monster drops. When the January 3, 2018 patch hit it made note of loot changes for top 80% of players. At this point we, asked for elaboration and never received any, taking the tiers and chances out of our documentation as I felt they would be inaccurate. The 5/30 changes included top 90% changes. At this point we do not know if there are tiers anymore, what they consist of, or what their qualifications or drop rates would look like. For Pearl Abyss to wave a “double” drop rate is misleading. With channel swap lockout and forced times that are harder for people to make, drop rates have been effectively lowered - especially for non-loot boxes like auras.

Unforeseen Consequences
    I won’t claim to know all of the bugs, or their severity, but it was clear with this the 5/30 patch that many things unintentionally had issues. When bosses spawned on EU, NA players were unable to hop. A hotfix was released for this, yet throughout the weekend many players have reported they were unable to hop even after making sure their clients were patched. Hunting and sea monsters were unable to be hit during PvP lockouts. Ships were reportedly able to attack each other and themselves during the lockouts when in the same party, and attacking a ghost ship reportedly damaged your own ship and caused karma loss. Witches and wizards are also reportedly able to heal ships during the PvP lockouts. Channel timers messed with traders and imperial turn-ins. Players were locked out of joining the game unless they joined the server they were previously on, if a boss was up. We have seen emergency maintenances for many issues previously, including pearl shop pricing and hwacha fixes, yet Pearl Abyss and by default, Kakao, have let the servers and players flounder while playing on a broken patch.

Vell
    The boss that could have received the most help from the 5/30 patch received none. Vell is the only one that truly suffers from PvP being enabled around them. A major factor for attendance dropping from the first two weeks onward was forced despawns, players spending a large amount of their afternoons traveling to the boss, fighting it, only to have it vanish with nothing to show for it.

Field Bosses
    Again with the surprise 20 random change coming in a week later, this needs to be reverted once more!

Good Things
    Loot on despawn is good, we don’t know what the tables might be or what their chances are, but drops happening even if a boss disappears right in front of you is great!

Making Muraka/Quint spawn on all 40.

Quints loot buff was great! - Reports from players is that there is not enough time to kill him and loot doesn’t seem better with the forced 15 minute despawn especially with having to place cannons and shoot them.

9. Foggen

Foggen Musa 63 NA

Can confirm self-damage and karma loss when shooting ghost ships and witches healing the ship. Also the seagull hunting daily in Velia was broken.

punkie likes this.
  10. Elequite

Thanks punkie for voicing our opinions

punkie likes this.
  11. Sylvin

Sylvin Sorceress 59

Also one thing concerning offin, if he despawns on your channel and you haven't been able to get to the second phase you get 0 loot when he despawns. Which is totally unfair :(

punkie likes this.
  12. Rising_Chaos

Rising_Chaos Rising_Chaos Witch 8 EU

good job in making that overview @punkie ^^

punkie likes this.
  13. TeRRoRibleOne

GJ Punkie.... I wish my tickets were level headed these days..... But because of the lack of caring for our community, I speak my mind completely unfiltered in my tickets at this point. If they don't like being cursed at prove me wrong once. I've submitted bug tickets to see if things are working correctly and get a form response that doesn't answer anything. Usually that ends up with me cursing at them saying they didn't answer my question which then eventually leads to a "lead" GM finally answering. It's annoying because it not only wastes my time but theirs every time they don't even answer the question at hand.

Reigne Irkalla and punkie like this.
  14. punkie

Sadly it has become apparent in my tickets as well that to get an answer or any acutal help a lot of the time, one needs to demand to be escalated.

Reigne Irkalla likes this.
  15. Lunamira

WHAT THE ACTUAL FK????
    spawn Offin at 5pm PDT?
    do you know vast majority of american in the west coast work from 9 to 5?!??!?! How the fk do you think any of us can get a single Offin in?

Ribena and punkie like this.
  16. punkie

Congratulations, Oceania is screwed over even worse, and now Pacific gets in on the fun of everyone else being given the hard pimp slap from Pearl abyss.

Ribena likes this.
  17. Bulwark

Bulwark SwordGoClang Warrior 62 NA

The whole no pvp thing is what bothers me its fine if its disabled within a area around the boss but what if ur grinding and someone starts griefing your rotation and a boss spawns? Now you cant do anything about that griefer for 15min.... also they should just make it when u kill someone u get a 5min timer incase they comeback and u kill them before the timer ends it resets and no karma is lost and just make nodes have a small safezone to prevent a spawn camp. Stop supporting those karmabombers xD.

punkie likes this.
  18. Ribena

The new fixed spawn schedule is a big middle finger to Oceanic players. Bosses spawn between 0000 and 1500 local time for me. For anyone with work or school, they are essentially limited from end game.

punkie likes this.
  19. freymarch

Yay, timer changes /s

Also, anyone in NA tell us Oceanic players this is a fair timetable - come on, anyone who actually has work, do you guys think we can make this time table? When you thought they couldn't screw it up even more, they pull this **** up.

[​IMG]

Reigne Irkalla and punkie like this.
  20. GamePois0n

GamePois0n PootyPoot Ranger 61 NA

yes

punkie likes this.