1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Staff Response Buyer Beware: PaymentWall Holding Account Ransom

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Krye, May 23, 2019.

1. Krye

Hi all,

I'm writing this thread simply to warn players of using Pearl Abyss' payment platform: PaymentWall. I understand this issue likely won't be resolved on either end and has reached a stalemate, so I simply wish to share my experience to hopefully save one of you from the hassle I've been put through.

I am a launch player from 2015, pre-ordered the Conq Pack and all that good stuff. During that year of play-time I purchased $100 worth of Kakao Cash, no issues whatsoever. I recently came back to BDO Remastered two weeks ago as I wanted to play an MMO again and have been enjoying my time back thus far. As such, I wanted to support the game and use my nice 20% coupons I had stashed before expiration. Upon purchasing a $100 package, PaymentWall had halted the payment and did not allow me to proceed unless I immediately provided a picture of my Driver's License and picture of front and back of my CC (there was a window that popped up on the website). Now, I've been victim to identity theft before so this struck a chord with me. I've been online gaming for over 20 years and been around multiple e-commerce transactions in my line of work and have never seen a third-party demand sensitive information like this. I obviously closed out the window and figured I'd just try again thru PayPal. Nope...they immediately blocked my account until I submit this information to them...via email. As if providing this sensitive information for a low-level employee's eyes to 'verify' isn't bad enough, now they want it sent over email which is susceptible to data breach. Here is the message I received when attempting to make a purchase (via CC or PayPal). It should be noted that the name on my BDO Account and the name on my CC used both match as well as my billing information.

[​IMG]

I decided to follow-up via email directly with PaymentWall to get to the bottom of this. We've now been in contact for a week and the responses all look like this:

[​IMG]

No alternative solution - just "my way or the highway." They also mention this is a process they "apply to all of their users," yet when I asked the official BDO discord, not a single person has encountered this form of information bullying.

[​IMG]

I have also forwarded our email thread to Black Desert Support, to which they obviously support their payment processor 100%, which I can understand. Nevertheless, they immediately closed my ticket.

I have contacted my financial institution and fraud department (since I use business banking), and they reaffirmed that under no circumstance should you ever provide your sensitive information in this format, nor are they aware of any reputable payment processor that requires this level of information. The "verification" process they claim is done by your financial institution when you open a bank account, and a third party payment processor has no business demanding this information.

Stay safe out there bros, and under no circumstance give our your sensitive information online; no matter how good the pearl deals are that week zzz

If any GM is willing to have a conversation around this topic, or simply remove the block on my account so I can make purchases via PayPal instead of my CC that would be appreciated and I am happy to let it be water under the bridge. Cheers!

#1 Krye, May 23, 2019
    Last edited: May 23, 2019
  2. Sahmoo

Hey there Krye,

As a student currently studying cyber security I 100% agree that this isn't a safe thing to do.

It's unfortunate that your account is now blocked from buying more things from the store.

What I don't understand is why they are preventing you from buying from the store again. I haven't heard of a company saying no to money.

Hope your problem is solved soon!

Krye and Phoenixxx75 like this.
  3. Jossiwales

I’ve gone through something very similar. I ordered a game in G2A and was told to verify my info via picture ID. I had heard G2A was very reputable so I did as asked and within 3 weeks my bank was calling me about fraudulent transactions and requests. I had to cancel my card and change all my auto pay subscriptions along with reviewing my banking history with a rep from navy federal and it was a HUUGE pain in the ass.

My bank told me that NO legal, legitimate financial institution or business will ever ask you for your ID or a picture of your card. They would not be the ones to assume fraud, the banks would. Any company that attempts this should not be trusted.

So my next question would be: Is Pearl Abyss complicit in this fraud? Seems like an investigation should be opened on the company to see what other personal data they could be sharing/selling from their consumers.

4. Saffor

Maybe you could black out the number of the ID card, so they could still verify name, date of birth, ... but no one should be able to create a valid copy. No idea if that would be really safe or not(?)...

Krye likes this.
  5. WellOiledTentacle

That sucks man. sorry. By unrelated circumstances, how soon did they respond to your ticket...? I have an account related ticket and still havent even recorded to be assigned to any GM and it's been a week now... but they seem to have assigned a ticket regarding a pearl purchase to a GM but he hasn't responded to that in days. Feels like they prioritize Purchase tickets more than account ones..... pearl purchase is useless if account has a problem though.

Krye likes this.
  6. Krye

@Saffor, they require a lot of information on the ID and won't accept it if certain parts are blocked out. With all the information they are asking they could effectively take out a loan on my behalf...

@WellOiledTentacle It took about 4 days for GM response, and they basically just copy/pasted ToS from PaymentWall's website stating this is 'normal procedure'

7. Shastalya

Shastalya Warell Musa 50 EU

These companies should definately be investigated, somehow i feel its gon b gud.

Krye and WellOiledTentacle like this.
  8. GM Unknown

Game Master

Hi there Krye!

Having read over your post, I can also understand as to why you would not want to submit such personal information to a company you are not entirely familiar with. However, we work PaymentWall as they specialize in online payments, they also have a responsibility to prevent fraudulent activities and crime, which is why such information is requested.

They are also regulated by the US government and FinCen, which is the Financial Crime Enforcement Network. If such information wasn't required for verification, they would not be request this. Due to how serious fraud can be, and in order to help protect the purchaser as well, that is why the verification process is this way.

Unfortunately, in the event information isn't submitted, the restrictions would be unable to be lifted :/

I do hope this bit of information helps, and we do want to assure you again the information is only used for verification purposes.

@WellOiledTentacle, we would like to sincerely apologize for the delay in getting to your query, we have quite a large increase of tickets at the moment, which has delayed our usual response times and we are doing best to get back on track ASAP! Thank you in advance for your patience.

Take care!

Krye likes this.
  9. Krye

Hi GM Unknown,

I do completely understand where you are coming from as I have received this same message from other GMs regarding this topic. My dispute and disappointment here, is that my account was blocked from making further purchases until I, forcibly, provide all of my sensitive information - at which point it is placed under review, where some users have mentioned they were still denied and now have all their information leaked.

If we're following PaymentWall's logic here, even if my card was 'flagged' in your system (which is impossible as I mentioned the names and billing info matches on my account and card, and even my financial institution's fraud department said this is a lousy case to acquire sensitive information), why is it that my entire account is being blocked from providing an alternative payment method? Why can't I just process it thru PayPal where that information is pre-verified (even though my business banking card has more verification embedded than PayPal). This is ultimately my concern and why I created this thread warning BDO players not to engage with PaymentWall and subsequently Pearl Abyss. It's one thing to flag a payment, but to block someone's account from making further purchases until they provide sensitive information is undoubtedly an attempt to abuse and store said sensitive information on unsuspecting players.

I sincerely hope you reconsider.

Phoenixxx75 likes this.
  10. Jossiwales

I am absolutely appalled by this response; are you kidding me? Any bank or legitimate financial institution will tell you this is fraudulent extortion. Just because YOU trust them does not mean they are trustworthy. Just because YOU work with this organization doesn't mean the organization doesn't commit fraud. That is not a basis for trust.

Furthermore, this 3rd party company has the power to prevent all financial transactions between your customers and your platform while extorting them for their personal information with no platform of security. How can you make a basis for trustworthiness when they ask for you to send some of the most sensitive material a person can have attached to their finances through something as insecure as an email. That is absurd.

I recommend you restrict their ability to block payment under extortion and ONLY allow them to refuse payment through their platform. Having the ability to financially lock a consumer's account to your website ENTIRELY while extorting their private information seems borderline illegal.

Phoenixxx75 and Krye like this.
  11. Jossiwales

Here's a legitimate question, how many accounts/transactions has PaymentWall blocked and how many transactions has paypal blocked? Let's take a look at paymentwall's top reviews, shall we?

"Literally a scam. I'll be opening a legal case on these $#*!heads."

"This company is very disappointing. One of my accounts got blocked because I wouldn't give them my bank information for a payment I DIDN'T want to do. After explaining this many times they showed no effort or concern for all the trouble they have caused. They refuse to unblock my account and now I've had to move on and change everything since they demand my bank information. Very, very displeased. DO NOT RECOMMEND"

"Coincidentally, same as everyone here, my checking account was debited several times immediately following use on Paymentwall. Definitely a scam when you correlate all available information."

"PaymentWall says they need info, send them ID and receipt, within 15 minutes some "holy" sect in Delaware charges my card 257 USD.
    Seems... quite a coincidence."

"Ripoff company stay away"

There's even a very long explanation of a small company that tried to use their services but PaymentWall stole the money and never paid them out for the transactions. I find it VERY difficult to believe that you just blindly assume this company is trustworthy and would put your consumers at risk by condoning the transmission of personal sensitive data to a company with such a shady background...

I expect more from an established gaming company. The gaming community deserves better.

Phoenixxx75 and Krye like this.
  12. Krye

13. Krye

Still awaiting for account to be unblocked. It's been 2 weeks now.

14. Krye

This issue still persists. Bump for awareness.

15. kait

Has to be the most absurd request I've seen from a company, payment provider or not. You don't just hand over all the infomation required to commit identity theft and fruad to a company you've never heard of in or out of this country - peals or not.

Not even my bank will request this infomation from me for any reason - unless in person in a branch.

For a GM response, you might as well have asked for #generic_ticket_response_5 - Everything is delt with "sorry for the inconvenience :(, hope you have a great day be sure to buy more peals".

Hopefully you get this resolved but wouldn't hold my breath.

16. Kaylynae

Kaylynae Keloh Lahn 62 NA

Hi Krye!.

This kind of **** happened to me and my husband last summer. They blocked our accounts until we provided infos. We sent them what they required BUT we hide most infos that can be used. (meaning a part of credit card numbers and the verification numbers) Recently, it happen again and they ask me to send a selfie of myself holding my driving license. It's a little bit to much.

Anyway, I always use a prepaid credit card to buying things online. If someone stole my credit card infos and try buiyng something he or she will get really disapointed. I only put the exact amount of money I need to do the transaction. If not, it 's always at 0$

But I'm agree with you, this situation sucks a lot and don't look very professionnal.