1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came back for 2 weeks; can't stay.

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by Samashaus, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Samashaus

You know when you play other games and they all say "well at least its not as grindy as the korean, chinese and japanese games" and you think ... nah it aint that bad.

BDO to me is that bad.

Some perspective, I'm a new player. I tried 2 years ago and did OK until I hit level 56 back then and didnt know what to do with my time in Black Desert. I came back 2 weeks ago because my mate knew I had bought a new rig to play games on so I did.

Already I don't want to be here no more. I asked for help to guide me to in-game stuff to get involved in after the main storyline but I decided to start some of that stuff before then. I chose Alchemy and Fishing.

The simplest alchemy ingredient to progress requires 4 things. Salt, Sunrise Herb, Purified Water and Weeds.

Buy it from the market sure, but what if you dont' have enought to buy all those random things to make LIQUID REAGENT and very base and trivial ingredient? It's the base of base ingredients and the amount of time just to create one for a casual gamer or someone who is new and doesnt understand how to get these things... its too much. I was thinking you know what sure i can spend some time making this stuff and griding it myself but then energy costs for griding out weeds and grasses, getting the water and herbs..... you're already gated.

That is for the most basic of items for a skill.

I know some fo you are gonna come along and tell me how easy it is for me to get these items but unless im spending on the market or devoting lengthy times gathering this stuff in a myriad of different zones, its long and hard.

I want to see the end game and all my skills high but honestly, it's not happening, the path is too daunting.

2. zhagsten

You should avoid MMORPGs altogether, it won't do you well. There are other games to avoid as well, but with the MMORPG genre, that's a whole category you can bar out.

MeatSaw, Naho, XLucaX and 21 others like this.
  3. Arvalo

Arvalo Galavant Lahn 62 NA

Bdo compared to two or three years ago is now quite “light” by comparison. Of course in your experience you’ve chosen one of the hardest life skills which are known to cost quite a bit of money to get going.

Even then a simple hour a day at a place like trees and you’d have the money you need to bankroll alchemy. If that area is too rough for you still, you could easily still make a good amount of money per hour at Nagas, Fadus, or others.

I understand you feel defeated, but for a lot of people in today’s bdo especially in early game you’re experiencing that weight crushing down on you because you’ve chosen to play it in ways that might be a touch too difficult for for an entry level player.

Furthermore, while fishing has low entry cost it doesn’t really have decent afk returns until later as well. The spot on the beach near Velia has become a popular one for afk fishing returns of slightly higher quality. (Mind you im almost Guru so I couldn’t really give you a great picture of what low level fishing results in there.)

PeaceInChaos and Metalharpey like this.
  4. Samashaus

I'm kinda done with this. This game is beauty to look at but my word, grinding out for a basic material to make the most basic alchemy thing is insane. I'm putting this game down immediately. I alrady know I do not have time to be self-sufficient in this game, nor the funds to buy off the market for the most basic alchemic things. It's too much grind.
    It's not the game for me and I wont deny the potential in this game because it has HEAPS but this time played metric that businesses are doing is EXTREME here. For the most basic alchemy .... the time to make it. I cant stress that enough ffs.

flukeSG2 and Baumkuchen♡ like this.
  5. Samashaus

Thanks for the brief time in this game team - I hope western games fully take your graphic model but that is it. Everything else is too much unless youre a veteran and well versed in this game. It is FAR too new-player unfriendly. Its a myriad. A maze. I was lost and the guild who took me in helped me grind levels.... fine.... thats levels. But the rest of the game is far too much for your average joe who has a husband, job and life to lead XD Good luck all m=and may your enhancement stacks pay off... i guess.

flukeSG2, LucidKill and Fearless V like this.
  6. Korvgubben

I'm not gonna disagree that BDO is a huge time sink but some stuff do get much easier once you have progressed further in the game. I could litteraly make thousands of these liquid reagents from scratch in ~2h because I know where to gather the materials and I have many chars with the energy pool and with the right tools to gather the stuff efficiently.

Odinthor021 likes this.
  7. RainnellLynnMitarius

I am a housewife ---I'm old enough to have kids. I live with hubby, which doesn't have much time to play neither, we have a house and pay bills which makes me rather the random Janette with a life to lead. The game isn't hard, it's simply that for you? it seem like it's too much and all needed at the same time. While I do understand that BDO isn't the game for everyone, it's mostly because people don't understand the learning/progression curve. They want to "catch up" And be where everyone is, or they want to be geared too, and relatively quick. But then? It's a little harder and time-consuming than expected, or repetitive.

But let me tell you the real secret? There isn't really any end game to be truly excessive about it, not if you aren't much into PVP itself. You don't have to catch up or be the strongest for anything besides node wars! (Even then? There are guilds with entry-level players that just do it for fun! No gear requirement). There are plenty of grinding spots, with different requirements to be accessible. And you should not let yourself feel pressured to rush either.

Take it as a hobby, and not a full-time job. To log on just for fun! To be social, grind on the side----check the new content. Just have fun! Try all the classes! Level them all up to 56 since It takes about an hour! Just have fun! There is no race, no need to catch up, it's just you and the spare time you are willing to give it. Then maybe? You will feel less overwhelmed. Rome wasn't built in one day----and the same should be said for your experience based on a few days or weeks.

8. Ashenvall

I like your spirit. Pure and completely innocent. I wish to be like you.

9. Andaro

Andaro Archive
    Ambassador

Alchemy is definitely one of the more difficult Lifeskills to get into, but also one of the more profitable. Like cooking, it requires a lot of gathered materials.

For those just starting out, the best thing you can work on to prevent feeling pinched, is to work on your contribution points through questing and building your worker empire first.

Once you have a worker empire in place you can have workers farm most of the materials you need for cooking or alchemy.

Processing and fishing are your two afk Lifeskills.
    Hunting is actually a good active lifeskill that provides you with needed materials for both cooking and alchemy.

Tldr, BDO, like most KR games is about setting small goals first to accomplish larger ones.

10. Souda

Souda Warrior 61 EU

It's a marathon not a sprint, back in 2016 when i first started i spent 2 weeks as a newb uncovering the fog around the world

11. Andaro

Andaro Archive
    Ambassador

OwO that's what I did tbh, searching out nodes to open the map and see what I was dealing with....back then the PvP fest was at Giants....lol good times

Souda likes this.
  12. Stabby

Sounds to me like you don't want to put in the work. You're one of those guys that need to be hand held thru stuff. Bye.

BDO is a marathon, not a sprint.

MeatSaw, Kauni, SebDeTyra and 5 others like this.
  13. Ashenvall

"a marathon"

LoL

It could be true, if p2w doesn't exist in this game. It's clearly not.

14. Columba

Complexity isn’t for everyone. Bye bye.

Schwertfee, SebDeTyra and Nextgengame like this.
  15. Fearless V

Fearless V Ranger 61 NA

BDO is a painful marathon if you don't spend $5,000 +

BDO is a warp master sprint if you don't mind spending $10,000s

#15 Fearless V, Feb 8, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  16. The_Grimace

This game is not hard; if you think it is then you aren't doing right, and sound like you want your handheld to have fun.

Some of us like the challenge.

#16 The_Grimace, Feb 8, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    SebDeTyra and AZzalor like this.
  17. Fearless V

Fearless V Ranger 61 NA

Saying there is some challenge in BDO is the same as saying there is challenge in playing a Slot Machine or Roulette. I'll never get people who says BDO is challenging.

choovanski and I Am Mother like this.
  18. Flex556

You have the WoW mindset where you think in terms of patches. If you hate it that bad uninstall. Why torture yourself?

19. Vanadiel

BDO is actually one of the more simpler games.
    They just try to bombard you with all kinds of "things to do", but in the end everyone of those things leads you to the same place.

So yes, that makes the game simple.

Bizmarc89 likes this.
  20. AZzalor

AZzalor EU

Because it's so much rng to just grind money and buy stuff, right? You are not forced to gamble.