1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Casual Players in BDO

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by Coeprandua, Oct 16, 2018.

  1. MoZex

    MoZex Musa 62 EU

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2016
    Messages:
    1,304
    Likes Received:
    983
    at the same time, there are "casuals" who enjoy just spending some time in the evenings, yet they are financially resourceful and able to dump good money on its cash shop for frequent new pets and furniture, while getting costumes for alts etc. And thats their "softcap" and funtime. Such "casuals" are just as welcome as any HC player, who may spend more money on artisan memory, yet shy away from new pets/furnitures etc.
     
    Maginha likes this.
  2. Khondo

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2016
    Messages:
    721
    Likes Received:
    600
    There is so much good content in this game for the casual player (pve focus). Most of it is solo play but that is fine. Gear is not an issue for PVE, so only need to get to a certain point to increase grind speed.

    Before you all say PVE in BDO is boring, maybe for you but have you really investigated the game in full?
     
    MoonDance17 and Doom Smack like this.
  3. ghoulz666

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2017
    Messages:
    1,438
    Likes Received:
    1,452
    Maybe there's a thrill fighting the elites in kama. Elsewhere? It's a snooze fest. Oh I forgot, people have fun one shotting critters, for some reason.
     
  4. Arzurag

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2017
    Messages:
    354
    Likes Received:
    203
    Maybe we should trash the term "casual-player" entirely. "casual" has such a broad array of definitions, that's meaningless to fight over it.
     
    Alrunia and Slytrix like this.
  5. Sibyyl

    Sibyyl Heart Maehwa 62 NA

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2016
    Messages:
    1,020
    Likes Received:
    2,562
    No, an item you get for free for getting to 61 doesn't count as softcap.
     
    Desado likes this.
  6. Arzurag

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2017
    Messages:
    354
    Likes Received:
    203
    Gear is what matters, not the aquiration of selfsame.
     
  7. Escapism

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2016
    Messages:
    2,216
    Likes Received:
    2,029
    So, if the BiS items for some item slots are obtainable from quest rewards, or can be crafted by players, as is the case in many other mmo's, they dont count as softcap even if there's literally nothing better for those slots?

    Does it have to include "difficulty" as in stupid rng chance to break and start over to be accounted as softcap, or a stupid 0.0001% dropchance from endgame mobs? Because then it would be the exact opposite of softcap.
     
  8. The_Lord

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2016
    Messages:
    424
    Likes Received:
    271
    you don't know what you are talking about , softcap has always been the same and will remain the same unless they add completely new gear with +25 and make it a lot easier to upgrade your gear aswell , you should probably learn what softcap actually means before saying things like that lol
     
  9. Two-Tu

    Two-Tu Musa 62 EU

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2016
    Messages:
    490
    Likes Received:
    527
    This is an MMORPG. Of course, casual players won't reach anything in this game without investing time. Every game rewards players with greater rewards the highter their playtime is. However, it is important how you have to spend the time in the game in order to make progression:

    In BDO, the most rewarding way to spend time in this game is active Grinding aka the repetitive beating of monsters for several hours straight. Endgame here is nothing more than running around in circles (or "rotations", it's literally circles) and beat the **** out of every living being on your way. You get money, EXP and Skillpoints, that's all it takes to git gud. There are no dungeons, no raids, no cooperative gameplay. This is BDO is all about, this is also sadly one thing that turns my friends away from this game and why they would never touch it (the other thing is obviously the P2W thingy, but we don't talk much about in the forums, right?).

    "No, you fool! You can also do Life Skills, go sailing and hunt Sea Monsters, do quests! BDO is big sandbox game!!!!" Blablabla. Yeah, right.

    Life Skills: First requirement: You being AFK.
    Sailing: Requires Boat. You can't do this 24/7 unlike grinding.
    Quests: Run to A. Interact with an something. Run back to B. Done.

    I'm a casual player myself. For the recent years, I did nothing but login once a day to claim my Attendance Reward. In the last few weeks though, I grinded for 1-3 hours a day because it is relaxing. But I have a motivation aswell: Through all the logins, I've gathered around 1.3 billion Silver. Got myself a TET: Kzarka. My goal is now to reach Lv. 60 and get myself one or two endgame items (TET: Anything). What happens after that? Probably going back go logging in once a day again. My friends that all tried out BDO never came back, not even to login once a day. The grinding was too boring for them.

    In BDO is mainly a solo thing. You do not need your friends to make progression. Sure, you have Sea Monster Hunting and maybe one or two other things, but do you really need these things to progress in level and gear?
    What I'm saying is that this game definitely is not rewarding for casual players, but that's okay. However, those who are willing to make progression will face the never-ending grind and lame endgame. This is prolly what keeps casual players from "evolving" into really invested players.
     
  10. Kelt Rand

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2016
    Messages:
    282
    Likes Received:
    275
    As with all things in life go in with realistic expectations and just enjoy the journey. I play casually for the last 2 years and love all aspects of the game; PVE, PVP, life skills...I try to avoid enhancing but when I do I have backups & a mitigation plan.

    The only aspect of the game that can be annoying is periodically getting PK’d by some whale and they hurl an insult at you. I just remind myself it’s likely some snot-nosed 25 year old living in his parents basement eating moms meatloaf and playing BDO 16 hours a day...
     
  11. Capitaine Courage

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2016
    Messages:
    1,764
    Likes Received:
    1,878
    Your answer doesn't count neither.
     
  12. Coeprandua

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2016
    Messages:
    967
    Likes Received:
    637
    I think that someone is jumping into too many conclusions here. If you have never tried being in a guild, why are you so sure that it's a single-player game? Why are you so sure that grinding is the best way to make silver?

    I'm also not a guild person, but from what I hear, dedicated seamonster hunting guilds earn billions weekly. Top siege guilds also earn billions. What you earn through grinding alone will never even come close to what these people earn.
     
  13. LoganSilver

    LoganSilver LoganSilver Mystic 61 NA

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2017
    Messages:
    591
    Likes Received:
    515
    Casual players can be defined in more than one way. There is not a black and white line that divides hardcore and casual gamers.

    One of the things I like about BDO is how progression takes time and effort. If I could reach end game gear in 1, 3, or even 6 months, I would probably not be playing the game today. The fact that gear progression is ongoing and that I still have gear goals at over 560 GS is one factor that keeps me playing the game.


    The pay to win changes and the renown changes were not great for the game. The renown changes further widens the gap between the geared and less geared players. While progression is good, rewards for progression should be significantly diminished past a certain point. Instead, true scaling in BDO happens post softcap (post 253 AP).


    BDO is a game where casual players can have fun if they have casual goals. Casual players with competitive goals won’t get far unless they are willing to take a year, make afk income, and play smartly. This weeds out the super casual players with competitive goals, but the semi-casual players can eventually get competitive. By semi-casuals, I refer to those who develop passive and afk income and leave their computer running while not playing the game.


    I like the fact that BDO rewards progression. I like the fact that progression takes time. These are critical parts of BDO. If renown was removed, the pay to win changes were reverted, and pvp balance was fixed, I would have no major complaints about the game.


    BDO is the best MMO for me on the market today. Some day, that will change. The difficulty and time for progression is one factor that attracts me to the game. I don’t want the game to be one where you get geared out soon. I want softcap to be hard. I want post softcap gains to be hard. But renown should be toned down or removed.



    TLDR: I like the challenge to progress and don’t want that changes. However, I think renown should be removed.
     
    AZzalor, Khondo and Coeprandua like this.
  14. Coeprandua

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2016
    Messages:
    967
    Likes Received:
    637
    Unfortunately, the system as it is right now leads to the necessity of renown. What do I mean by that? As you get higher and higher tier gear, the harder it becomes to upgrade even further. So people who are at this stage need very serious incentive to keep going. They need very serious incentive to keep paying for p2w. And that's renown. Remove renown and people will not think it's worth the money and effort. Leave renown and PvP is broken.

    What am I getting at? You see, you can have gear that stays forever. You can have progression that takes forever. You can have accomplishments that feel satisfying because of the time it took to achieve them. But is it really worth it if the price you pay is this high. P2w progression, broken PvP, perverted player mentality where people play for domination instead of fun (to one-shot others instead of having fun in PvP). And a company that feeds all of this and profits from it. It's like war in steal life. It turns huge profits for some, while the majority suffers.
     
  15. Khondo

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2016
    Messages:
    721
    Likes Received:
    600
    Fighting is only 50% of this game.
     
  16. ghoulz666

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2017
    Messages:
    1,438
    Likes Received:
    1,452
    Your comment was about PVE only, not other parts of the game.
     
  17. Sibyyl

    Sibyyl Heart Maehwa 62 NA

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2016
    Messages:
    1,020
    Likes Received:
    2,562
    What BiS item did you mean?



    Feel free to casual it up. No one is judging you.
     
    Desado likes this.
  18. Azrakelz

    Joined:
    May 19, 2018
    Messages:
    10
    Likes Received:
    1
    Actually my man, softcap means you've reached a point on a stat where more of that stat is capped...softly. Like hit rating in wow. You can get more hit rating, yeah. But it does nothing for you because the amount of extra hit chance you'd get from more hit rating would be double your current hit rating for 1% more hit chance on top of your 99% hit chance atm. So in turn, you'd have to gear your ENTIRE character for hit rating to get 1% more hit chance because you've reached the soft cap.

    I use wow because i believe that's where the term came from but simply, its the same thing they do with levels in bdo. At a certain point(cap) the amount of hours spent going for exp increases so much in comparison the players that reach it are stunted to the point where they can't even get lvl 62 from 61 before someone that's lvl 56 gets lvl 60. And then from 62 to 63 about the same time as someone getting from lvl 1 to 61 and it just takes longer and longer increasing exponentially. A balancing and catch up mechanic. Or maybe a better context would be at a certain ap more ap doesn't help you kill anyone because you already one combo them. Like how 220 ap was softcap before renown since more ap actually hurt you because it was more beneficial to put the rest of your gearing into accuracy dp/ect. And the more broader softcap being your gearscore, but still beholden to the individual stat softcaps of ap/dp accuracy ect.

    Now tho the point where more ap won't make a big difference is like 260 ap. Except even then the scaling is SO crazy in this now the new softcap is 260 not because 280-300 ap isnt a big deal or difference, or because the stat itself is soft capped. It's the opposite of softcapped actually. Its just pure bad luck rng and a **** load of silver to get past that so most people haven't.

    Every game design flaw ties into and amplifies another flaw these days in bdo but really the root of the issue is they aren't really *choosing* a softcap anymore. They're letting their rng machine do it and it's not healthy for a competitive game.
     
    #38 Azrakelz, Oct 17, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  19. Capitaine Courage

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2016
    Messages:
    1,764
    Likes Received:
    1,878
    Softcap has nothing to do with causals.
    The way you get to the softcap is not important, what is important is the numbers, that's all.
    You can take pride of yourself for your virtual accomplishments if you're unable to produce anything valuable IRL that could boost your self-esteem, no one is judging you.
     
    Khondo likes this.
  20. Khondo

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2016
    Messages:
    721
    Likes Received:
    600
    This is a good statement. It's why 99% of us play games, to feel good in RL. Does not matter what you do in game, just as long as you feel good after playing.

    A good example is today I got my last boss armour piece to TET. I feel great atm.
     
    MoonDance17, Arzurag and Doom Smack like this.

Share This Page