1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chance at learning skills in the middle levels

Discussion in 'Horse Training' started by Shaynae, May 21, 2018.

1. Shaynae

So the last couple of days I've been pondering something and I wondered what others thought...

Leveling my last few horses I've noticed a definite pattern where the skills they learn seem loaded towards the first half of the leveling. So a horse may start out seemingly very promising and learn, for example, 11 skills by the time they are level 15, but then they will basically stop learning and, if I'm lucky, they may learn another 3 skills by level 30.

I vaguely remember a patch note awhile back that mentioned horses learning more skills earlier, but I can't find it. Does anyone else remember that?

At the time I didn't process that (if I even read that correctly) but it would mean that horses don't have the same chance to learn a skill at every level. So in addition to the difficulty of learning certain premium skills, there is another layer.

What do the rest of you think?

2. PandoraRose

I don't remember a post like that personally, however I have noticed the same thing with my horses. They will get to level 17, and beyond there they are usually lucky to learn 1-2 skills before 30. I had a couple in the past that broke this, but all of my recent horses won't learn much of anything in later levels.

Shaynae likes this.
  3. RamblingRose

I don't recall a patch note like that either. I know what you are talking about however. My own theory is that is has become more difficult for a horse to learn the better skills...they still learn the lower ones easily so those happen until the mid to late teens. Then the hard stuff needs to be learned and the majority seem to learn very few.

I get a lot of t8s for example who get FC HK SA Drift, Roar, QB QR QS Caution SL HJ S:HK and S:FC, sometimes you see Charge in that group. The T5s I catch in the wild often have better skills in their first ten levels than the higher tier horses...sigh.

Shaynae likes this.
  4. Fuddle

I was really bored so read through Patch Notes going back to 18th October 2017 and didn't see any mention though my brain did switch off after awhile zzz

I'm new to training so have nothing to compare to going back myself. I thought later levels just learnt less.

Shaynae likes this.
  5. Shaynae

It was sometime after the T5s were in the wild and I believe it was before the last increase to breeding...

6. AlnilamE

I'll have to look for the patch notes, but IIRC it was that horses T5 and lower would have a better chance of learning skills.

Fuddle, Sidina and Shaynae like this.
  7. Shaynae

Ahhh thanks...

8. Starrberry

Starrberry Tamer NA

I've recently had a few horses who did not learn a thing between 15 and 23. It's kind of annoying. I do remember the skill chance for T5 mentioned above and complaining it should be for higher tier horses. Didn't make sense to me that it should apply to lower tiers only.

Shaynae likes this.
  9. Fuddle

Shaynae likes this.
  10. Sidina

Sidina Lahn 62 EU

Yeah what Alni said, they increase the.chance for t5 and lower to learn skills.

But I'm having the same issue. Horse is a very good learner up until the twentieth and than it's basically over. If until lvl 20 the horse doesn't have a good amount of skills I usually already know that they are derps.

I mean I'm sticking to my tinfoil anyways that with the new breeding rate they decreased the skill learning of high tier horses!
    But jokes aside I never had so many potatoes like since the rate increase to 14...

[​IMG]

11. Shaynae

Well, even though it says T1-T5 I seriously wonder if they messed it up and it's done something to the skill learning curve for the higher tiers.

Thanks much to those of you who knew what I was talking about and to @Fuddle for finding it

Conflama, Fuddle and Sidina like this.
  12. Oceansky

I've noticed the same thing, so think they could of stuffed something up, or maybe it's intentional. Every T7 and T8 I have follow the pattern of not learning in middle levels and then they might learn again in the last few levels.

Sidina likes this.
  13. AlnilamE

I sort of feel that has always been the case. My horses don't seem to learn a lot after level 20.

I don't have level by level tracked, though. But I'll keep an eye on the next batch.

Like, my first T8, that I leveled using the Fore Chop method, learned Fore Chop 3 times after level 20.
    My second one learned Quick Ride at level 20 and then Hind Kick at 23 and 25.

My last one relearned Fore Chop at 22, 25 and then sometime around 29 or 30 (I had lost hope of her being a good horse, so I stopped tracking).

Sidina and Shaynae like this.
  14. Shaynae

I'm actually not talking about using the Forechop method. That does produce better results. I'm talking about just leveling without using coupons. That's where I seem to see a difference.

Sidina likes this.
  15. AlnilamE

Yeah, I know. But I haven't tracked any horses where I *didn't* use the Fore Chop method until now, so that's all the data I have.

Shaynae likes this.
  16. RamblingRose

Ok, I have a T8E I am currently leveling...at level 12 he had ten skills. At level 15 when he had learned zero since 12, I used that cheap skill change coupon and another one to change out caution and fc. His stats are good so thought he might be a winner. Unfortunately he is now level 20 and has learned nothing ......so that is nothing in 8 levels after such a promising start...and he hasn't even relearned fc and caution. ARGH.

Ascaeldor and Shaynae like this.
  17. Shaynae

I'm pretty sure something got changed. Now overall maybe the horses learn the same amount of skills they would have but it sure SEEMS like they become duds in the middle levels.

18. Pegacorn_old

I definitely agree with this assessment, and I generally breed more T5Js than any other horse type, so going from that to doing loads of T7/8s have been disappointing, especially recently for me.

I usually notice 10-13 skills on my T5Js with quite a few turning coursers naturally.

However, for non-T5Js, consistency goes bye bye for me.

Even with foals (non T5Js obviously) that start off with two skills, I'm noticing a tremendous inability to learn skills (lvls 20-30). Especially for horses with a 2 skill headstart, I would have expected a bit more overall - but instead, the horses seem to 'slow down' and end up like other horses that did not have a leg up to start with. I dread those moments when I get a horse to lvl 20, and it has single digit skills....

It seems that T5Js seem to gather most of their skills by lvl 15-18ish. By that point, they have gained most of their skills and after that, they may gain only 1-3 at most.

To me, this seems to be the general trend rather than the exception, and it just feels odd that my T5Js are on average similar to my T7/8s when compared in terms of skill. I dare to say that in some cases the T5Js have a bit better feel to them in terms of skills?

Obviously, I'm not counting the outliers such as the 15+ skilled horses or the massive T7/8 potatoes that have 10 or less skills at 30. But as a general rule, I'm seeing so many that are at the 10-13 skills at both T5s and T7/8s.

My observations are that:

Once a horse reaches 15 with less than 5 skills, it's game over. Especially if it's a two skill horse at level 1. If it's a one skill horse it might recover, but I've rarely seen such ones turn out well. I've been proven wrong by some but...

T5Js are more stable in their skills. I almost always get a distribution between 10-13 with 11/12 being the most common. It is very rare to get one with 10 or less. This is huge considering that many T5Js are between lvl 5-10 already to start with, and they have a sub-optimal number of skills compared to levels when I start leveling them.

T7/8s are highly unstable even with a head start of 1 or 2 skills. It is not rare for me to get a T7/8 horse that's gotten 10-12 skills total, and this is including the fact that they've already had 2 skills as foals. So in these cases, these horses gained ... anywhere between 8-10 skills in 30 levels (with the mid levels being a barren wasteland)? If anything, at lvl 20, the T7/8s suddenly find themselves allergic to skills or something. I'm hoping my latest batch of 7/8s prove me wrong, but the early returns so far are not positive (Yet!)

So this means that a T5J gains about 8-11 skills in around 20 - 25 levels whereas the T7/ or T8 gains the same amount of skills, but in 30 levels? This just doesn't seem right to me.

With T7/8s, the same general trend as for it's skill pickup being slow at 'mid levels' seem to be followed, the only problem is that while a T5J with 12-13 skills are fairly good, at T8... .. that' just not okay.

Given how according to the game higher tiered horses are supposed to have an increased chance of learning skills, something seems amiss to me.

It's just so frustrating because getting good horses at higher tiers used to be.... not like this? I'm almost thinking T5Js are better because of their consistency when it comes to leveling them. At least I don't have to deal with a T8 that's gotten 10 skills at 30... and was the foal of coursers with 2 skills to start with! It just seems a bit crazy to me.

Too bad I can't just release all the bad horses back into the wild. I feel awful for the bads/NPCs that's being sold all these awful high tier horses! haha

Are you all seeing something similar? From the posts above, I'm guessing so!?

#18 Pegacorn_old, Jun 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    Oceansky and Shaynae like this.
  19. Oceansky

Yes it's crazy that T5's seem so good compared to higher tiers, most that I level become coursers and learn around 13 skills.

I've levelled 14 T8's so far and only 3 of them learnt 16 skills. Most of the rest learnt around 13 skills. And I have not used coupons on any of them.

Iam levelling my 15th T8, currently she is lvl 17 and has learnt 11 skills with 0 courser skills.

Update, been paying more attention to what she learns. She was on the wagon until lvl 15.

This is what she has learnt and what lvls I'll see if she learns anything else, but other T8's have been very simular and there seems to be a pattern, could be just because the rest of the skills she has to learn are the rare skills that are hard to get. She has 14 skills currently.
    lvl 18: Fore Chop, 19:Charge, 20:None, 21:Sideways, lvl 22 to lvl 27 she learnt no skills, lvl 28: Instant Accel, lvl 29 & 30 none.

I'll see if she learns anything from lvl 24 to 28 as it seems T8's don't learn anything in those lvls and learn again from lvl 28.

Edit: levelled her fully and she followed same sort of pattern other T8's seem to follow.

#19 Oceansky, Jun 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    Ratnica and Shaynae like this.