1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Character expansion slot (Poll)

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by Valenten, May 16, 2018.

?

Should Kakao give us a 1 loyalty character expansion slot ASAP?

1. Yes

180 vote(s)
    80.7%
  2. No

43 vote(s)
    19.3%
  1. Andaro

Ambassador

while I can agree that obviously people have a problem with it (some), I can't agree that its an elitist view, because I can't possibly fathom seeing myself as any form of elitest. A completionist definitely but that's another matter.

The role I've taken in looking at these types of things for myself is that of a nickel and dimer, I suppose. That is, I enjoy playing the game for what it is, and occasionally I don't mind tossing in some money for things that will sustain a more long term play approach. So when I am presented with a choice, like we all have currently, my first thought, as many of you, was "ok I have to spend 10$ topup to buy that"...."meh idk".... Where my view forks from others is that I also looked at other items I might want to buy and decide whether or not they will do as my past purchases have done, to further my long term play. In this case, I could use some more warehouse expansion and since I had already planned on it anyhow, then no foul.

And I suppose that's the separator ...that I had already planned at some point to make another purchase, so this didn't hit me as a problem, given its price. Ill buy the slot expand, and use the rest for a few more storage spaces.

Now if the slot expansion were 10$ by itself then I would have reconsidered because then I would have to decide if I really wanted that by itself, versus that which I had already planned to buy.

2. RipVonBongle

Wow what a surprise! Who would have thought?!

Want to know what is more annoying than complaints? When the Pearl white knights argue against literally every single one of them.

3. flukeSG2

flukeSG2 Tamer 62 NA

Then don't use the word welfare in such a derogatory fashion, poor people play games too. I would know, I am one.

4. Andaro

Ambassador

believe me, there is a long list of p2w mechanics that I will argue against, and not a single one of them has yet to be released.

Although, that day may approach faster than we anticipate if anti-game rhetoric continues. So when I "white knight" as the term is coined, is not because I necessarily approve of certain tactics, but rather that I am thankful it isn't as bad as it could be.

I come from Aeria Games, and I suppose that has made me a little jaded on exactly what constitutes "extreme p2w" and "over-the-line marketing pushes". And I can tell you one thing from 12 years there, that holds water in any game and that is the more sales decline, the more egregious those pushes will become.

I don't want BDO to become a cash shop behemoth. I don't want to see it soaked in the manners that I have personally witnessed, and, admittingly, have assisted in. So I don't believe it is outrageous to suggest that people are being overly dramatic about the way things 'currently' are.

As far as the welfare schtick goes....I've been down that road myself many times, but not once did I ever feel someone owed me anything.

So no, I'm not going to stand with the crowd here on this one, and "rally against the publisher" over a character slot expansion, or for spending 10 bucks in order to get it. If our setup was different, then maybe, but currently I see no issue.

As with everything in life, as with spending your game credits, especially those of us that work hard to be able to spend them on our hobbies like we do @flukeSG2 , sometimes you have to spend more wisely.

5. Jeanina

Jeanina Sharivar Lahn 61 EU

I wonder what Freebies youre talking about? You mean the Free Costumes, Pets, Weight Increases, Inventory Slots and all those nice things they hand out in masses every Month?*sarcasm*
    Or are you talking about the billions of Armor Stones, rng boxes with more Armor and Cron Stones?
    Just to inform you, all previous new Classes came with a 1 Loyality Character Slot...and now 180 Pearls? Smells fishy dont you think? Enjoy BDO as long as you can... Marvel Heroes Omega kinda did the same and a week later: Dear Players we are sorry but we are going to no longer providing any Services for the Game. Cash Shop is for free now, thanks for your Money and the Servers shut down on Monday! xD

6. Andaro

Ambassador

actually, you got a good point, that games *can* be shutdown without warning and many many have done so in the past. Usually the better ones will give you 6 months notice, but if a developer goes bankrupt and defaults on their investors, games have vanished in the blink of an eye, with no notice and no refunds, and no account transfers. SOE and DP is a good example of this.

As far as freebies go, it's a long argument I don't have the energy for atm, but to summarize, there is an actual "monetary value" on the goods that are given away in the form of rewards, including everything down to the most common of items (such as blackstones)

usually a publisher will keep track of this by evaluating what items are being "handed out" and assigning them a monetary value (which is always controversial, and never in line what the player feels the item is worth)

As a test of objectivity, what would you (your opinion) value an Ultimate Armor Reform Stone to be worth? (In pearls)

If I use a methodology from another publisher, I could value them at roughly 100 pearls (1 dollar), and sell a 5 pack for 450 pearls (discounted) and then reverse the value to zero and include them as an additional reward in a "Tiered Spenders Promotion" for spending X amount of pearls to obtain something else.

#46 Andaro, May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 17, 2018
  7. Smileybones

Smileybones Ranger 62 NA

Why are you still there then ? Because your principles are nice on paper and that's it.

8. Dyeless

Dyeless Lahn 61 EU

I would argue about freebie argument. It's meant to feel like it's free but in reality it's meant to make sure you login and in some cases stay logged in for obvious reason. If they really would care so much you would always get all rewards even if you miss a week of gaming for w/e reason.

In my opinion all these "free" items we are getting hurt us more then help. Crashing market prices for example. I would rather see increased drop rate on things we miss most like memory fragments. Hard and shard drop rate events for example are good events. Now we have something with with moon fragments but super limited again for obvious reason but non the less helpful.

9. Jeanina

your entire argument would be totally fine if the Freebies were actual Shop Items, ive been here since release and the only cash shop related items we got were Pets that cant be breed with any other pet and some valuepacks here and there while most of them are 7 day versions.
    Ive never seen them handing out something worthy like a Costume and i dont mean a 7day test version.... i never demand anything for free but changing your mind from 1 loyality char slot on class release to 1.80$ (180 pearls) just to milk the last drop from your playerbase even if you know the people who play Lahn now will automatically spend lots of cash for inventory slots, weight increase, constumes and so on is a real **** move of them. such moves are mostly a sign that something is going on, either they are pretty close to lose their license or they just go full cashgrab mode so either expect a server shutdown or EA 2.0...

Irijia likes this.
  10. Cold Napalm

So...you are saying we should support bad behavior because it could be WORSE?!? Seriously? See this is why the world is so frakked up. Vote Hillary or Trump...at least one isn't as bad as the other. When you pick the lesser of two evil, you still get evil. Here is a novel idea...don't pick evil at all. Don't support them. Don't give them your money. Support people and companies for doing GOOD...not meh it could be worse. I have MMOs that I play that I spend hundreds and thousands in. Because they are doing GOOD thing. Things I find fun and I not attempts to squeeze me for more money. Things I get in the store because I WANT them...not NEED them. This game was approaching that stage for me. Yeah the artisans I was not too happy about, but they gave away enough swag for playing the game where I felt they were on the mostly right tract. Than before I could spend money, the renown system hit. An OBVIOUS push to get people to gear treadmill. And than every change after that was to push that renown system even more to try and get even more gear treadmilling for more artisan sales. And finally the final F you of locking the new class behind a paywall. Which makes me want to NEVER spend money on this game. Because I don't support evil behavior...even if they could be worse.

Irijia likes this.
  11. Dyeless

Dyeless Lahn 61 EU

Honestly I remember free pets I got twice and could breed them (I did breed them) penguins. I have 1 free kuku bird that I got few month ago from returning rewards. I also remember free underwear box and then free glasses. Appearance coupon exchange that meant something before value pack was introduced. Maybe something else. All that except kuku bird was received in a first year after release. Things looks different now.
    I had to mention this because it's only fair.

12. Jeanina

ya i forgot to mention those items you had to pay with your power bill staying logged in 24/7 to hit the 3000/5000/10000 hours playtime xD
    for the pets we got well it was nothing special, the kuku is ugly as hell and useless if you have bird type pets already with the kuku not being breedable with anything else except you were returning player to get a 2nd one. the penguins...oh well yea but nvm.
    it doesnt change the fact about the char slot move.
    tbh i could care less since im not going to play lahn but yea i feel the pain for all the other players being fooled. =)

Irijia and Dyeless like this.
  13. Andaro

Ambassador

that isn't what I said , even though that's what you derived from it.

actually this is a completely valid point and very good to point out. Although they are free, and although they also contain monetary value, they are indeed a method of enticement (in lieu they can also arguably be considered a form of payment), because players themselves are content.

in all honesty , although I know its meme, my PC stays running 24/7/365 even before gaming....nothing really changed much, and I keep a pretty good record of my monthly kw usage (because we have some lazy meter readers)

the biggest hole in my personal power grid was the hot water heater, which I disconnected,...cold showers >.> it's a tough life

14. Ioci

Noshit, right?

I did a lazy count on characters not remembering I had an open slot, bought 5 and now have one in my inventory. It's coffee at starbucks.

15. LidithVonRazzel

LidithVonRazzel Ninja 61 EU

Cmon people, its only €1,80, and if you are going to complain about “oh, but i have to get €10,- worth of pearls”, did gou ever consider that you can use those other 820 pearls for other stuff? Its not like you buy one character slot and all your pearls are gone. Heck, just buy two, maybe three character slots, they are 70% off anyway.

I also bet all of you complaining bought the cheapest game package on a discount as well

16. Cold Napalm

You make that sound like a BAD thing. You do realize that being frugal and smart with your money and getting stuff when they are cheaper is a GOOD thing right? RIGHT? Seriously, when did being smart become a bad thing?!?

Zharigh, Irijia and flukeSG2 like this.
  17. Dyeless

Dyeless Lahn 61 EU

Lol I have to battle with my girlfriend all the time so she stops buying bunch of unnecessary stuff from the supermarket just because it was on a discount haha
    Specially food that we can not finish cause it's too much anyway and will fly directly into the garbage bag.

18. Xenosuke

Personally, I don't mind that we don't have the 1 loyalty version. However, I would like to see it discounted in the loyalty shop also. I would take no issue at all with it only being discounted cash shop purchase, if they didn't have this pre-creation event going on. Due to the event, this puts a paywall around the Lahn creation event, albeit a small one with the price, but it's still a $10 min buy in to participate if you don't already have that amount of pearls on your account, or wait to get the loyalties, which some, including myself, do not have the time to gather before the event ends. That's my biggest issue with it. We have a buy to play game with a pay-walled event, and one that is maybe only slightly worth it if you don't already have the pearls leftover from other purchases.

Zharigh, Irijia and Moraea like this.
  19. JingK

How anyone defends this is beyond me, this was literally one of the reasons it was made buy to play and not free to play for western markets.

http://massivelyop.com/2016/04/05/d...rt-figures-400k-western-sales-in-first-month/
    “Daum Games attributes much of the success to adopting a premium business model for Western audiences as opposed to the free-to-play model used in Korea. After purchasing the game once, players have access to all content updates for free as they become available.”
    Not $9, not $1.80. FREE

Zharigh, Thelemna and flukeSG2 like this.
  20. zenjudit

I think this 180pearls should be for players with 15 slots like me as it actually adds the 16th slot which is nice. People who have less than 15 slot should get this for free or 1 loyalty then they need to spend for their 16th slot.