1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Character naming

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Slimzy, Jun 20, 2019.

1. Slimzy

Am i the only one struggling here ?

Naming character is becoming more and more of a pain why do we even have a family name for ?

The naming system need a little revamp to my thinking.

2. AtomicPotato

AtomicPotato DarkKnight 62 EU

Get better imagination? You know, move away from weeb trash and u'll find out that there is no problem in creating fun and unique character name.

aethericAnuran likes this.
  3. Slimzy

maybe but still other than face rolling a name it's becoming such a pain so let me say other than for guild purpose what is the family name use if you cant name a character with a name even if it's common we all have a unique family name so what is the point of restricting first name ?

Sino and Fairday like this.
  4. MagicalTabletopGirls

So you can pay $10 to change it.

5. Factorial

Not trying to knock your idea by any means, but is character name that important? The family name is the only thing that matters to me and just about everyone else.

The other 17 to 18 character names attached to the family name are pretty much meaningless.

Choose a hybrid worded name without any need for space, underscore, etc. and you have billions of name possibilities.

Phoenixxx75 likes this.
  6. Slimzy

I am aware still they do kill the purpose of a family name and it kind of turn of a bit my ability to "live" as my character if i could say.

7. The_Peacekeeper

The_Peacekeeper The_Peacekeeper Witch 62 EU

I started 3 years ago by creating and naming couple of characters with different names. At the time i was playing with couple of friends. After joining a guild and more characters were released i learned from my mistake and started using similar names. (Note at the time you couldnt choose family name in chat). I still wish to rename those first characters but not willing to pay the current pearl price to do it.

8. Fairday

I actually can feel this.

9. aethericAnuran

aethericAnuran Shai 59 NA

On the one hand, I have no problem coming up with names that never have to resort to numbers or odd misspellings. But I know lots of people can't do that. It would have been nice if the game treated the family name literally: That would have eliminated the need for unique character names if the account (family) name was the main communication identifier. I love the way Final Fantasy XIV handles names and wish more games would follow their lead.

Factorial and Fairday like this.
  10. Bubblepuff

Bubblepuff Bubblepuff Shai 64 EU

Yes, if only we could all be as creative as our good friend A T O M I C P O T A T O over here.

Ambrotosia, GenericUser and Angar like this.
  11. Sino

Well I've chosen my surname pretty mindlessly, just picked something that sounded nice, because I thought it will work like the # behind nicknames in Blizzard games - so pretty much never seen. Now it turns out that's the meaningful part of the name.

I wish they did it the way I thought it was.

Also I for sure won't be spending 10$, which for me because of the different currency is like 40+ to change just the name.

12. GreyRebel

GreyRebel DarkKnight 62 EU

..... family name is one of best things ever have been done in any mmo when it comes to naming . it should be implanted in every mmo tbh.

be creative abit ? dont choose random names , be original , make ur own , something that has special meaning to u ?

13. Kerenis

Kerenis 62 EU

i get my names from a site called "fantasy name generator", the names only 70 % of the times taken, which is a nice ratio

14. 2monthslatenonamesleft

They could help some of the naming issues by simply freeing up the names of long abandoned accounts/characters.

This is the first MMO I've seen that doesn't have some sort of policy or mechanic for freeing up squatted or abandoned character names. There are most likely tens of thousands of perfectly good and non-"XXsum$tupidSpe77ingXX" names sitting unused because some guy tried shortly after launch 3+ years ago and quit after a few days. Those names would be better off given to current and future potential players to help them keep invested more into their character (and playing/paying) plus I'd imagine it'd be nice for PA's bottom line for all the name change coupons they'd sell.

It wouldn't even be too hard to do. You could do something like TERA where if an account hasn't been logged into for a time (In this case 1 year) your character gets renamed to YourName_1 and if you ever do come back, you simply have to choose another one upon login.

Granted, if someone preordered a name, they should be allowed to keep it but for everyone else if you don't care enough to simply log into the game once every 3+ years then you don't really care enough about your characters to complain that it got renamed even assuming you ever came back.

15. Xanthyara

I feel this, it also seems the "able to use a name from a deleted character" time is pretty long. I care about my family and character name, i sepnt 2 hours trying to name my shai in precreation having 4 friends on discord to help me come up with names to suit her looks, i eventually had to add two extra i´s to the end of the name to make it work so i still ended up not fully pleased

16. Dailou

lol I do this as well! A lot of those names are starting to come up in use as well. I find myself having to compound them or modify them slightly to make them unique sometimes for the ones i really like

Kerenis likes this.
  17. KampersOwnedYou

I had a minor sweat word in my character name since release. Today I received a name change coupon and was told my character name is forbidden lol

18. Digi_Assassin

Digi_Assassin Lahn 14 NA

I have a little tag I add to all my names so I can choose whatever name I want so it's like Digi_XYZ, makes it nice and easy.