1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Staff Response chat settings ignored

Discussion in 'Interface' started by Alucardo, May 29, 2020.

1. Alucardo

Alucardo Lahn EU

Chat settings are ignored when game is in background or minimized.

If i set one window to only show "private items" after restoring game from tray this window is full of "XY failed PEN/YZ get kzarka from grass beatle"...

and if you take a closer look at time: 9:46 -> 9:47-> *****10:01***** -> 9:47 -> 9:50 ....

Attached Files:

#1 Alucardo, May 29, 2020
    Last edited: May 29, 2020
    MoonDance17 likes this.
  2. MoonDance17

MoonDance17 Lahn 61 NA

Chat window settings are ignored a lot of the time and have been for several years. I had a second tab just for personal items but everything was bleeding into it at times. I gave up in the end and just have one tab with guild, party , whisper and general and that even occasionally gets marketplace enhancements etc. It seems to happen mainly when the chat window has been quiet for a while.

3. Dehydrated Water

I'll second the broken chat settings, i was about to post but found this and my personal problem is the chat settings ALWAYS reset when i change between UI's, i'll set chat settings on one UI preset, switch ui's and come back the the first one, all my settings will be reset.. me who frequently changes UI's i constantly have to reset chat settings to my preference and its absolutely annoying..

4. GM Fenix

Game Master

Hi everyone,

Do you find that this occurs after certain actions are performed? Re-logging, changing characters, or some other in-game activity. Or is it something that occurs at unexplained times? I'll be happy to investigate this further and bring it up with our bug-hunting team to see if we can prevent this issue from continuing.

5. MoonDance17

MoonDance17 Lahn 61 NA

I have now turned of my personal items chat window because it was a constant annoyance to me. It always gave all other types of messages from when you logged in until you either gathered or killed mobs. It would start again if you spent a long time without gathering or killing mobs. In my normal chat window that has general, guild, party and whisper it did not happen as often but still did occasionally at log in until someone typed in the chat. It also occasionally bled in if that window was quiet for a long time.

#5 MoonDance17, Jun 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  6. Nextgengame

No, it's not cause minimizing.

The client receives every message regardless of filtering, and puts them into a buffer on client side. It doesn't filter out anything, it simply puts the messages that are relevant for you (for you settings) at the bottom of the displayed messages.

However if you don't do anything for a long time, and you don't receive messages that are important for you, there will be only irrelevant(disabled by settings) messages in the buffer as the old ones are deleted, so it start showing those messages instead.
    You don't need to minimize the game to see it, heck even if you just scroll up, you can see messages that should not be there.

It's wrong on may levels as it's not only bugged, it's badly designed at architectural level as these messages should be filtered out server side, since it would save on the bandwidth greatly so improve the performance.

But that was reported (and ignored) already long ago, look for the topic, if prof is needed...

BlackRaijuu and MoonDance17 like this.
  7. BlackRaijuu

How right you are. However, I doubt they actually see what's wrong with chat as a bug. If anything, it should be changed to where either each tab holds a different type of chat (one for player chat, one for marketplace notifications, one for enhancement etc.), or that some of what chat shows are outright removed from the window altogether.

I, for one, have most notifications and alerts disabled by default so I'm not bombarded with irrelevant information (i.e. spam). I never found a use out of knowing if someone reached master in fishing or if they enhanced their gear to PEN. I even found all the marketplace notifications very annoying. Because all that ever did was block all the actually relevant information I need to see in the chat window, such as a friend telling me where to meet in guild chat or if I picked up that one item I've spent the past hour or so farming for.

This has been a long standing problem in this game and it really needs to be addressed. Until then, I'll just keep my chat windows turned off completely if the filters continue to not work 100% of the time. Who cares if there's an important notice from a GM if all the spam hides it after just two seconds.

MoonDance17 likes this.
  8. Dan Hot

Dan Hot Warrior 62 EU

This Bug will never get a fix!
    [​IMG]

MoonDance17 likes this.
  9. MADE

That was already reported like 2year ago, so guess...
    And it ain't even that complex, it would be literately just an extra condition check, one line or two...

#9 MADE, Aug 1, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  10. Luminosity

Luminosity Valkyrie 62

I have a window showing only my personal loot. Oneshowing only kills. And I am pretty sure other things do not "bleed in" only when the game is minimized, but also when the chat windows do not have anything new to show. I mean when I do not loot items for a while, suddenly I have "xxx failed at xxx" messages in the window.
    upload_2020-8-1_15-24-24.png

Dan Hot and MoonDance17 like this.
  11. Nyrezza

Nyrezza Sorceress 62 EU

You are happy to investigate?
    As happy as in my Thread back in April?
    Or will it be silently shoved into "Bugs-Archive" again? ;)
    Which one will it be? :D

Dan Hot likes this.