1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comprehensive Maewha Guide by Angwar

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Angwar, May 17, 2017.

1. Angwar

Who am i?

None of your business. No but jokes aside, just for the sake of credibility (and to stroke my e-peen) i am a level 60 maewha playing on and off on EU servers since beta. I started playing more hardcore as soon as maewha came out because i loved the class. While i am not playing in a siege guild nor do i consider myself exceptionally good at maewha, i still feel qualified to do an updated guide since the class is really lacking one.

[​IMG]

A few starting words about the class in general before we get into it. You can probably skip this unless you are completely new to the class, this is for new players and people thinking about playing a maewha.

Maewha is a high mobility, high single target burst class. She is designed to get in and out fast and get places faster than other classes. You are not supposed to tank nor to fight multiple people at once (unless you outgear them heavily). You are going to delete people but you are deleting them one at a time. Also i feel Maehwa is not a "Difficult" class in that it doesn't require a lot of technical skills to play her. The awakening is fairly easy to pick up and there aren't really any complicated animation cancels or the such. The way to master Maehwa is to understand how other classes work. Their weaknesses and windows to strike them. Also you have to learn when to go in and out as well as have a good handle on your damage output so you don't over or under commit (credit to Serenewaves). In nodewars this means you are great for scouting, going for the backline or cannons and in general being a huge annoyance. As most classes maewha wants to get level 60 to get most of her skills to max rank but her powerspike is at 58 where you unlock her 2 most important flows. Without these you are not going to do much in pvp. The class is also kind of gear dependant, you are not going to be able to delete people with low ap like warrior or wizard. Her greatest strength is also her greatest weakness. Since all of her awakening skills are frontal cones except for a few very small aoe's, her grinding speed is one of the lowest of all awakened classes. However given the right circumstances it can be quite decen but I will talk more about this later. I am telling you all this just so you guys are aware that this is not an easy class, it has it's struggles and especially coming from other superior classes you might get frustrated early on. That said i do think the class is really balanced in pvp and while i wish they would buff her pve a tad, it's still managable. And last not least to me this is by far the most enjoyable class in the game. I tried every class except for warrior and zerker and got quite a lot of them to 56 or higher but none of them managed to keep me as entertained as maewha does. Even though i am already going towards level 61 i find myself still having fun grinding with her. But now let's get to the topic at hand!

EDIT: I made some additions and adjustements based on feedback. I will all highlight them with the "edit" so it's easier for people who have already read the guide.

Skills and Skill-addons

Preawakening skills

First off remember that you can freely reset your skills if you are below level 56 so feel free to experiment around. You also get a free skill reset for a day after your awakening quest so don't have to do a full reset before 56 unless you want to save the skill reset.

Retaliation: While not a useless skill i would not put any points into this unless you don't need them elsewhere. not a skill you should ever need in pve and in pvp you have your awakening block which is far superior.

Divider: A good filler attack with amazing hp recovery if you put skill addons on it. Only downside is that it costs wp which makes it bad as a filler unless you are not having wp problems. While leveling to 56 i would put points in this but once you get your awakening you no longer need it. If you have free skill points however it's a nice panic hp recovery. Tip: You can slash 2 times by pressing "E" twice and after that can get a third hit with "lmb".

Backstep slash: Looks cool but is useless in pve besides adding in some smoothness. However in pvp it's not to bad as lethal skills demonstrated, you can use it to pull off a longer combo after an initial cc. While the damage on it is nonexistent it has a really nasty slow.

Blind Thrust&Backstab&Blind Slash: Nope, nope and nope. All skills you don't really need for pve or pvp. The only decent one is blind thrust as you need it for some longer pvp comboes. Tip: For the sake of completeness, you can strike a second time with blind thrust if you "rmb" after "backspace".

Ultimate nemesis slash: The only reason to put points into nemesis slash and one of the main reasosn to put points into blind thrust. It doesn't really do damage but it's a really good burst heal. Tip: Hold down the buttons for a longer cast.

Maewha's Will: Max out as soon as possible since it gives you wp back.

Chase: Max out as soon as possible and get it to ultimate as well. Infinite superarmor dashes are fun! Well...until you are out of stamina.

Whirlwind cut: Really bad damage, but good wp recovery. Don't put any points into it's addons.

All kicks: What are kicks? (that means ignore these)

Carver: Good filler attack with decent damage and wp recovery. Put some points in it while leveling if you don't need them. Tip: Can create comboes with holding down "shift+lmb" and just "lmb" inbetween.

Decapitation: And now we slowly get to the good skills. Decent aoe and decent damage. Not your main priority but do put points in it when you can, it often can finish off stray targets after red moon. After 56 this skill goes to the dumpster however.

Dragonbite&Dragon Claw&Lunar slash: Get those asap. They not only are great single target damage with fairly low cooldowns but they also look absolutely sick.

Chaos Red moon: Welcome to grinding as maewha pre awakened. This is your main clear ability as it's your best damage dealer and only good aoe. This is your number one priority to level up and use. Put points into Ascension to heaven aswell, it will deal the whole damage of red moon once more in a much shorter time although in a smaller area. It's a really great damage tool but with a long cooldown so use it wisely. Beware though this skill has no superarmor and while it has frontal guard, it is a bit wonky sine you are moving around. In pvp it will get you killed unless you are in a 1v1 and your opponent is cced because it is super easy to just move around you. Ultimate red moon is pretty useless as it only adds a movement speed slow and not a good one either. Cyclone slash is not to bad for pve. You can put it on a quick slot and use it right after red moon to finish off stray mobs. Tip: You can move around the camera while using red moon to focus it's main damage somewhere else since it hits hardest in front of you and does weaker damage on the sides and behind you.

Blooming: As soon as you can level this and it's addon Phantom, do it. It's a great damage dealer, inflicts stun and with phantom inflicts really nasty debuffs on your opponent like draining wp/mana etc. This is an ability that you will actually use in pvp even after awakened. In pve use it on big targets, since it has a long cooldown. Important Tip !!! This skill has a looong animation. You can cancel it in various ways by pressing "shift+lmb+rmb" after certain abilities.

The first one is straight out of chase:
    [​IMG]

The second one is out of carver:
    [​IMG]
    (don't do this in pvp)

And the third one is out of awakened chase (hint, with non awakened dash you can hold down w while doing the cancel, you can NOT do this with awakened chase:
    [​IMG]

EDIT: Blooming can be used with its first rank effectively.
    With the single strike it does not have a long animation and is used for a utility stun and quick recovery should u miss.

https://gyazo.com/5e621d4a0ef61862494d7a6eb48b3f7f

I think it is debatable wether it is worth using the first rank only for the quick stun since phantom gives some really nasty debuffs and extra damage. I personally have to test this a bit first and discuss it with other people.

Tigerblade: While this stance is suuuuper cool it is unfortunately utterly useless except for one purpose. While in tigerblade stance you have no stamina costs on your dash. This makes it really good if you want to get somewhere fast or run away and don't care about wp costs like in nodewar. You can also ani-cancel your dash by holding down "directional key+rmb" and spamming "e" inbetween (this will burn wp like hell):
    [​IMG]

EDIT: Tigerblade has perma super armor and it attacks very fast so could be an option for nuking a forts health in NW or Sieges.

Stub Arrow: Useless in pve, sometimes usable in pvp. Unlike musa, maewha does not really need stub arrow to engage plus it is unreliable, we can't use it out of awakening and it makes you vulnerable so i only use it exceptionally in some duels. The one you want to use is charged stub arrow enhanced and if you use it get triple shot aswell. Arrow grapple and evasive stub arrow are useless. Tip: Put stub arrow on a quick slot because you WILL instead use chase on accident otherwise.

EDIT: Stub arrow is available as quickslot in awakening now.
    Evasive shot is super tech. Its good for doing smooth movements that would normally be clunky with just triple arrow or normal stub.
    https://gyazo.com/3de4de342d40e99243bb6244153f7579

Precise martial arts: Good passive, especially for pvp, do get!

Sword training&Manuveur training&Infinite Mastery&Skilled Hunter: You do want to max these out but they do not take priority over leveling skills like red moon while leveling. However after awakening these take priority.

Awakening skills

To some this might already be obvious but you want to get all awakening skills, they take priority over all non awakening skills. The only one that is not super necessary to level up is kerispear training as it's an autoattack you rarely use. That said let's get to a more in depth skill description:

Awakening: Maewha's Kerispear: This is just how you change to awakening form. However if you just press "c" you will get an animation that while pretty is also quite long. You can skip it in various ways. In combat there are several skills from which you can smoothly switch to awakened or blade form to which we will get later. If you just want to switch inbetween use "any directional key+c":
    [​IMG]

Full Moon Wall: This is a so called "block". You press "q" and enter a defensive stance where you will block incoming frontal attacks. However attacks from the back or sometimes even from the side will damage you and be able to cc you. People can also just grab you through it no matter which direction. And last not least when you get attacked the game displays a shield with a little number inside which tells you how close your block is to breaking. If the enemy attacks into your block often enough it will break and you will stop blocking. To refill your block you have to stop blocking. How much damage your block can take depends on your DP. Maewha is not really supposed to just stand in block and tank damage. Usually you just use it to recover stamina inbetween dashing or to bait out enemies moves and leave block as soon as they start attacking you. Getting hit while blocking also recovers a lot of wp so you can use that in pve if you are bringing no pots. You can use sleet steps, chase and petal drill right out of block without disabling it as shown further below. You will experience block lock while being attacked on block unless you use Royal Rage, chase, or sleet step.

General Apricot: This is your "go ham" skill. It's a buff on a long cooldown that should be used wisely. It is pretty bad compared to other classes awakening buff but it still has it's uses. If you plan to jump into a group of enemies to use your black spirit rage always use this buff beforehand! It's attackspeed buff speeds up the animation of bs rage quite a lot.

Sleet Steps: A great mobility skill that gives you an iframe but only if it's off cooldown so you have to use it careful. You can still cast it while it's on cooldown but you will be completely vulnerable. Usually in pvp you never want to use it if it's on cooldown unless your enemy is cced or you are sure he won't be able to catch you while you are using it. You can also do some neat tricks with sleet steps by moving your camera while using it. That way you will move into that direction instead of going in a straight sideways line. You can use this to get behind your opponent which is vital for getting a cc in since all of our skills are getting blocked by frontal guard. Sleet step also gives you a 12% crit buff which is why you want to use it in a combo early if possible.

Kerispear Training: This is the only skill that you don't necessarily have to max out if you are low on skill points. It's just a normal autoattack to regen wp. Although if you do it right out of awakening chase it's a knockup :
    [​IMG]

Same goes for switching to awakening out of blade chase:
    [​IMG]

Tenacious Edge: A really good filler skiller and good damage skill overall.It has 6 hits, first 3 are hp and second 3 are wp which leads to some decent sustain in pve if you use it off cooldown. While not on cooldown it has frontal guard which makes it a decent skill to try and catch your opponent offguard since it applies stiffness. It also has down attack damage so i usually use it to finish off opponents on the ground if they survive my full combo or if i have cooldowns. If you use Frost Pillars right after tenacious edge the animation is speed up:
    [​IMG]

Petal Drill: One of the key skills of our kit. Probably our most important skill. Landing good petal drills is one of the things that defines a good maewha player. This is a gapcloser with superarmor and a stun on hit. Just let that roll of your tongue. Oh it also has 100% crit rate. You ALWAYS want to hit this on your opponent, it's absolutely crucial not only because it's a great initiator but you also want to use it if you land a different cc because you need the stun to get your combo off. For PvE this skill is also great to initiate camps. You can use red moon right after without switching weapons which is actually the main combo you want to get in first while initiating a mob camp until you unlock your level 59 flow. It also gives a good amount of wp back:

red moon after petal drill:
    [​IMG]

You can use petal drill right out of your block:
    [​IMG]

out of sleet steps:
    [​IMG]

out of chase:
    [​IMG]

you can also use blooming right after petal drill:
    [​IMG]

EDIT: You can Drill Bend. which could get you around enemy blocks if they arent expecting it. Super tech.
    https://gyazo.com/75ca89b88de511ae0e88589cff7dabe1

Moonrise: A key pve skill which has multiple casts. If you just press "s+f" once you will only perfom a little stab that is pretty weak. It has no superarmor or frontal guard which means it's a nono to randomly use in pvp. However it does apply stiffness and recovers WP and it kind of has an aoe. If you continue to hold down "s+f" after the initial stab you will perform 2 additional hits that are far superior to the first one. They have superarmor and apply floating and sometimes they can even knock down your opponent. Like other on cooldown usable abilities these benefits are not provided if the skill is on cd and the damage will be reduced as well. In pve i like to cc the camp first with tenacious edge and then finish them off with moonrise. You want to finish the mobs with moonrise because it otherwise pushes them away from you:

Sticky Snowflake: This skill is pretty meh until you get it to max rank (level 60). It can be used as an alternative start to the second and third hit of moonrise by starting with "w+f" and then holding down "s+f" right after. You have to be pretty fast on the timing though. The problem with this skill is that depending on rank it has lower damage than the startup of moonrise or barely higher one. While it does apply a bleed and movement speed slow, it's animation is slower than that of moonrise which can ruin your combo if you are to slow or lacking in attack speed. It also has no frontal guard or superarmor. I think it's personal preference if you use this as a startup or not. However if you can not kill your opponent in one combo (which you should always be able to as maewha, otherwise you are probably outgeared) you should use sticky snowflake because it hinders your opponent from running off and potting back up. In pve i almost never use this skill because unlike moonrise it does not give back wp.

EDIT: Can be accelerated after W + LMB and Sticky cancels Moonrise's first stab and goes straight into the Superarmor flips. Its a down attack and does very good dmg on downed opponents

Frost Pillars: This skill offers great damage, frontal guard, a crit rate buff and a knockdown. And it's spammable on cooldown (again usual deficits). Only downside is the long animation. Or is it? If you use it right after the final hits of moonrise you will cancel most of the animation. Using this combo provides a great damagedealer that can be spammed in pve if necessary and is part of our main combo in pvp.

normal animation:
    [​IMG]

moonrise cancel:
    [​IMG]

snowflake cancel:
    [​IMG]

Petal Bloom: One of our main burst damage skills. You can either charge it up to increase it's damage by holding down "shift+rmb" or release the keys immediately for a quick cast. You have super armor while stabbing however while charging you only get frontal guard. You can actually use this to bait your opponent by charging up and when they try to attack you from behind you can turn around and release the charge like this:
    [​IMG]
    Since petal bloom knocksdown your opponent this can serve as a decent initiation. However i also like to use it after my opponent is already on the ground since it has downattack bonus damage aswell. Petal bloom can be fully charged right after you knowdown an opponent using an ability like december or Frost pillar.They wont be able to get up in time if you time it right. Great use of the full charge. This skill is on quite a long cooldown though, so be aware of that. In pve i like to use this skill for bigger camps with tougher mobs since it's frontal cone is quite big. You can usually use tenacious edge to finish off mobs on the ground.

Royal Rage: This skill is basically a counterattack which you use by pressing "lmb" while in block stance. It applies a stun and has forward guard but if you are fighting anyone that kind of knows what they are doing they won't fall for this skill. At least not twice. Reason is that if someone rushes your block head on, they most likely have super armor or frontal guard active unless they are stupid. Personally i always just get grabbed when using this skill. However you can cancel the animation by using chase right afterwards and it provides a 10% attackspeed bonus so i like to use while dashing around looking for an engage. You can also use this in your combo if you need a stun and both petal drill and blooming are on cooldown. In pve you only use this if you are already recovering wp with block anyways.

Oppression: This a small aoe shout that does very little damage but inflicts stiffness and reduces target dp. I know it's very tempting to try and dash to your opponent and try to hit them with it but since you have no frontal guard or superarmor while using it you will probably get cced. I like to use this in the beginning of my combo if i have the time since it lowers dp. In pve it pulls mobs together however the pull is nowwhere near valks pull but it has it's situational uses.

Stigma: This skill is pretty whatever in pve however it is one of our key skills in pvp. It applies stiffness and has frontal guard so you can try to catch your enemy with it by chasing towards them and then using stigma to create space again and hopefully bait out a skill. You can also cancel the stigma animation with sleet steps. Press "f" really quick after sleet steps to only stab without doing the backstep animation. Combining this with the sleet step camera movement provides for a great initiator. You can also apply the same camera tricks from sleet steps to stigma however be careful to not get catched since stigma only has frontal guard:
    [​IMG]

EDIT: You can also use back chase into stigma if sleet steps is on cd. Since the back chase ignores collision, you will go straight through the enemy and the stigma will shoot u backwards with a frontal block so you are pretty safe.

New Year's Eve: This skill can be used after any kind of stab so it usually serves as getting some extra damage in. It also applies stiffness so you can use it to prolong a cc. However it has no frontal guard or superarmor so be careful. In Pve i rarely use this since it eats wp like candy. Here is a video showcasing after which skills you can use new year's eve and after which not:

Flow: Moonlight Dash: Now we get to the flows. This one unlocks at 57 and is basically just some extra damage and smoothness after petal bloom. It has superarmor so it's fairly save to use. EDIT: Moonlight dash can be sent a different direction by camera angle.
    You can also wait to use it for 3 secs after Petal Bloom to extend your Super armor. Super Tech.

Flow: Tip of an Iceberg: Two words. Big. Damage. This skill unlocks at level 58 and greatly increases your damage in pvp. You use it by pressing "f" after frost pillars which makes the already great combo of moonrise into frost pillar even better. Since this skill can also knockdown, you have a very high chance to knockdown your opponent by using this combo. However be aware that it has quite a long cooldown and no superarmor or frontal guard.

Flow: Cloud Stab: Moving on to more good stuff. This skill also unlocks at level 58 and provides you with a second heal. You use it by holding (!!) "lmb" after moonrise. It does not matter which hit of moonrise, you can use it immediately after the initial stab. It does subpar damage in pve so i usually only use it to heal there. However it has no reduced damage in pvp which means it hits really hard in pvp. It also has frontal guard, making it quite safe so i like to use it if i am confident that i can quickly burst down someone without using the full combo. It can also knockdown your opponent however that is quite rare in my experience. Usually it just applies floating. Be aware though that this is your longest cooldown so use it wisely. Tip: If you hit someone's block with this you will still regain hp!

Flow: December: This skill unlocks at level 59 and it's usefulness relies almost entirely on your damage output. You use it by pressing "lmb" right after petal drill which drastly improves your grinding speed if you can oneshot a whole camp by doing this. However if the flow is not enough to finish off the mobs it becomes awkward because it pushes them away from you. In pvp this skill has great situational uses. Since it knockdowns i don't want to use it if i know that the stun of petal drill got my opponent because i would not be able to get my moonrise combo off first before knocking them down. However this flow has superarmor and is an aoe which makes it great for trading hits or in fights with more than one person. You can jump in, possibly get a knockdown on several people and dash out again to let your teammates finish them off.

EDIT: You can also wait to use it for 3 secs after Petal Drill to extend your Super armor. Super Tech.

Combo summarization, some tips and examples for pvp

Pvping as Maewha involves a lot of dashing around trying to find a window or baiting your opponent by sitting in block or using other skills. Usually you get a cc in by either:

1. Landing a good petal drill
    2. Getting behind your opponent with sleet step+stigma cancel
    3. Baiting them with stigma/block

Usually in that order aswell. Once you land a cc you perform the usual combo. Sometimes you will have to improvise on your combo if you have cooldowns but that usually should not happen. Just remember that you want to chain cc's by hitting either a stiffness or stun first, then use a stiffness or stun depending on what you already hit and after that knockdown your opponent.

Standard combo:
    petal drill>sleet steps+stigma cancel>oppression>moonrise+frostpillar cancel>iceberg flow>petal bloom>moonlight dash flow
    [​IMG]
    If you hit a stiffness as initial cc with stigma for example, use petal drill afterwards and proceed as usual (skip oppression). If you still have time or your opponent barely survived use tenacious edge.

You don't have to use the stigma cancel after you hit them with a stun (sometimes you won't have the time to) but it adds some extra damage, gives you the crit chance buffs and gets you behind their back for extra backattack damage.

Fast combo:
    petal drill>moonrise+frostpillar cancel>iceberg flow>petal bloom>moonlight dash flow
    [​IMG]

Standard Combo if you are below level 58:
    petal drill>sleet steps+stigma cancel>oppression>moonrise+frostpillar cancel>petal bloom flow
    [​IMG]

Tenacious edge combo:
    Tenacious edge>frost pillar>iceberg flow>petal bloom
    [​IMG]
    I am not a big fan of this combo since randomly using tenacious edge in a fight trying to cc your opponent feels clunky and is pretty slow plus it kinda leaves you locked in an animation while you only have frontal guard. As you can see in the gif it also makes positioning a bit weird.

Royal Rage combo:
    block>royal rage>petal drill>sleet steps+stigma cancel>moonrise+frostpillar cancel>iceberg flow>petal bloom>moonlight dash flow
    [​IMG]

Blooming initator into knockdown:
    blooming> backstep slash> switch to awakening
    [​IMG]

Dashing back into blooming:
    You can try to bait your opponent by dashing towards them so they might try to hit you with something, then dash away again to dodge it and try to catch them with blooming afterwards:
    [​IMG]

Long cc chain combo:
    Let me just make clear that this combo is basically only for arena and is honestly completely overkill but it looks really sweet and if you are lacking damage to kill your opponent with a normal combo this might do the trick. It's also kinda risky because if you don't have enough attackspeed or are to slow, your opponent will come out of the cc before you are finished.

petal drill>stigma cancel>oppression>switch to blade>chase into blind thrust>blooming>backstep slash>switch to awakening>moonrise combo or petal bloom
    [​IMG]

Fast full superarmor combo:
    In fights with multiple people you often will not be able to perform a full combo. This here is a full superarmor combo that is very fast and what i mostly use in nodewars or rbf unless i am alone with my opponent:

Petal drill> december flow> petal bloom> moonlight dash flow
    [​IMG]

And this here is a perfect example where i baited my opponent by sitting in block:
    [​IMG]
    I sat in block until the ninja tried to jump towards me and get behind me. Then i chased straight out of the block to dodge it (first chase is iframe), performed a sleet step+stigma cancel to turn around and cc him from behind and then killed him with a normal combo.

EDIT: Here are some more tips and tricks from Exitious1:

Backstep slash:
    Can be used from awakening by doing the following:
    S + C + SPACE
    https://gyazo.com/120e860fe48ad4df95358425127e973a

Blind Thrust:
    Applies -30% accuracy debuff to target for 10 secs.
    30% crit on rank 3 without requiring to hit target for 10 secs.
    FBT (forward blind thrust) can be used to cancel into blooming (preawaken)
    FBT can be used from awakening by doing the following:
    W + C + SPACE
    https://gyazo.com/ad4d3d99439de2215b56a39cb7efa944

This can also be used to do awakened stance into preawakened FBT and then blooming:
    https://gyazo.com/4335b0818fb2e6d21938dd4e0af9bf69

Petal drill to december is super armor until you start the extra stabs allowing you to wait out certain skills the enermy maybe using or to reposition your screen

Skill Addons

[​IMG]

These are the skill addons i use however these are optimized for pvp and the preawakening ones are far from perfect but rather my own preferences.

Blooming: Since this is one of the only blade skills you still use in pvp i put the in my opinion best skill addons on it. The attack speed is really nice because blooming is a stun so if we hit it we want to get our combo off as fast as possible afterwards. While leveling to 56 you probably don't even want to awaken this skill because you don't use it that much while grinding however skill addons for grinding to 56 don't really have to be optimized considering how fast you get there nowadays. Just make sure to get this one last.

Red Moon: Since this is your most used grinding skill you want to awaken this first and get some extra damage done. I went for the hp per hit as second add on here because red moon hits quite often and since you use it so much this really works wonders for your overall sustainability. If you feel like you are doing fine on that front go for something else.

Divider: Now this skill addon is highly situational. It's only use is to regen hp as fast as possible. Since i really don't use any other blade skill often enough i went for this for emergency situations for example if i am fighting for my spot and am close to dieing i can dash away to a mob pack and regen hp by spamming this real quick. I guess you could awaken backstep slash but usually i don't use the long combo that contains it in pvp because i can kill my opponents without it. While leveling to 56 you could awaken this or decapacitation with some extra damage. As i said it's really not that important at that point.

Stigma: Now i will start with the most important one. 30% crit rate for 9 seconds. Ooooooh boy. And that on one of our key skills in pvp? Sign me up. This is an absolute no brainer pick and what you should go for first. The second choice here is debatable, i like the pain damage as it's quite high and prevents opponents from potting back up a bit. Honestly the other choices aren't really that great.

Petal Drill: Just like with blooming we go with attack speed here since it's a stun. Since this skill is also sometimes used for trading damage with superarmor skills the 20dp bonus is really nice. I would awaken this second but it's a tough choice since you only really start doing the superarmor trades with level 59.

Moonrise: Since this skill is basically always used at the start of our combo a 20% crit buff and pvp attack buff is a really nice damage boost. Buffs on other skills might be better but you always have to consider that they don't really matter if they are used at the end of our combo.

EDIT: Due to popular demand i have added some skill calculator builds:

Before 56 aim for this: http://bddatabase.net/us/skillcalc/47912
    After 56: http://bddatabase.net/us/skillcalc/47683/

Grinding

Personally i always think it's a bit difficult to explain somebody else how to grind with a class because that is something you just have to learn yourself. After you've done a few rotations at sausans for example you will get a feel for the spot and the skills you should use for what mobs etc. However i will try to give some insight:

1. Usually you want to engage a camp with petal drill and follow up with an instant red moon unless you are 59.

2. For bigger camps with harder mobs you can also start with petal bloom.

3. After you did one of these engages, still standing mobs should be attacked with the moonrise+frost pillar cancel.

4. Now most mobs that are still alive should be laying on the ground so you can just finish them off with tenacious edge.

5. If there are still stray mobs around at this point that you want to kill, you should have red moon back off cooldown for them.

6. If there are packs in your rotation that have a lot of stray mobs use oppression first to try and group them up a bit.

7. I personally do not use the 100% black spirit rage skill but instead get the attack speed buff from the rage absorption. Reason for that is, that i can usually kill packs faster without the long animation of bs rage and the attack speed buff speeds up your animations a lot. This depends entirely on your damage, you will have to test yourself if you clear a pack significantly faster with bs rage. However if you want to use bs rage, the most beneficient way is on the largest pack you can find since the skill has quite a huge aoe (as most maewha "aoe's" it hits hardest in front and weaker to the sides and back).

Now to the most important part of grinding with maewha. Spot selection. Our grind speed is actually not to bad if you have a rotation where there are a lots of small packs. For example grinding on mainspot at sausans is just awful as maewha because the packs are so huge and full of stray mobs. However this backspot here is perfect for us:

I suggest grinding here until level 57 and 150 ap. After that you have mostly 3 choices. You can either stay at sausans, go to bashims or go to pirates. Personally i am not a fan of grinding pirates as maewha but i am also not a fan of pirates in general (doesn't mean it's a bad spot, i just don't like going there). Unfortunately this also means i do not have any tips for grinding there. As for bashims, the spot is full of small mob packs meaning it's perfect for us. However while the exp is really good at bashims, the money is quite bad and you are probably still at the point where you really need money. You can of course always go to a different grind spot especially since these are quite popular ones but that also means these are some of the best ones.

Once you hit 58 and get around 170-180 ap and at least 200 dp you can go to the in my opinion best spot for maewha: Gahaz Bandits. This grind spot also consists of lots of small mob packs, offers about the same exp as bashims and way better money. Since i hit 58 i grinded here to the point where i am now. Here is a video of my favourite spot right after exiting shakatu. I am fast enough that i sometimes have to wait for spawns, it only has little already grouped up packs that i can kill without aggroing other ones and it also has 3 elite spawns.

After that point i honestly think you should still stay at gahaz. I tried pila ku but it's not efficiently doable as Maewha unless i am doing something super wrong. Sulfur is alright but it's very far away from the nearest town with blacksmith etc so you would need maids to go there. And even then still feel like i make more money and xp at gahaz with my stats. Centaurs might be decent now but i haven't given them a try yet. Personally i will stay at gahaz while grinding to 61 unless kamasilve offers something better.

Gear Progression

EDIT: After some discussion and tests i changed yuria to rosar. However that does not mean yuria is trash and you need to sell it for rosar asap. But rosar is indeed better for a starter. Also i wanna say that i purposely completely ignored the roaring armor and offhand you can get from quests. I am not up to date on these since they got released long after i stopped making alts so i have not done any tests with it.

http://bdoplanner.com/save/[[9],[10...,[-1,-1]],[-1],[-1,[-1]],[-1],[-1],[-1],[-1]]
    • I PRI: Rosar Blade
    • I PRI: White Horn Bow
    • +14 Grunil Helmet
    • +14 Taritas Armor
    • +14 Grunil Gloves
    • +14 Taritas Shoes
    • Jarette's Ring
    • Jarette's Ring
    • Jarette's Earring
    • Jarette's Earring
    • Jarette's Necklace
    • Jarette's Belt
    If you are a new player you will be getting a free full set of jarette acessories. Those should be exchanged only if your new accessories will give you more than 33 ap since testing has shown that the set bonus of jarette's is equal to roughly 6 ap. Getting your main- and offhand to pri is your first priority, always failstack on your armor first and then try to upgrade your weapons. This is more important since it improves your killspeed and a lack of dp can always be played around. We are getting a rosar instead of a liverto because the liverto is to expensive for a new player at the beginning. However upgrading the rosar above pri is a waste of money. It makes more sense to spend the money towards your awakening weapon since the real grind/game only starts once you get it anyways. A point can be made that this build lacks accuracy considering we are going for a full ap offhand but we can't participate in pvp anyways at this point in the game and the accuracy is enough for grinding. Also the full ap offhands that classes like maewha have are just to damn good, The 2 piece taritas will give you a 100 WP bonus which is invaluable on maewha. Make sure to get a grunil helmet and gloves for the 5 ap bonus. If you take 2 other grunil pieces it won't work.

http://bdoplanner.com/save/[[9],[10...,[-1,-1]],[-1],[-1,[-1]],[-1],[-1],[-1],[-1]]
    • I PRI: Rosar Blade
    • III TRI: Sundo Kerispear
    • III TRI: Ultimate White Horn Bow
    • I PRI: Grunil Helmet
    • I PRI: Taritas Armor
    • I PRI: Grunil Gloves
    • I PRI: Taritas Shoes
    • I PRI: Red Coral Ring
    • I PRI: Red Coral Ring
    • I PRI: Blue Coral Earring
    • I PRI: Blue Coral Earring
    • III TRI: Bares Necklace
    • I PRI: Belt of Shultz the Gladiator
    This is what you should be aiming for as your first goal. Do not exchange your jarette set until you have your awakening weapon and offhand at tri, they take priority. Also somewhere in the process you should ultimate your white horn bow with an ultimate weapon reform stone. This has a 100% success chance and gives you some "free" extra stats.
    The accessory set here will give you 37 and 8 dp at a reasonably price. Red coral rings are insanely cheap for their basic stats however their scaling is really bad so we won't upgrade them above pri. Blue coral earrings while giving one less ap than witch earring are a lot cheaper. We will keep upgrading these along the way however at least one red coral earring is advised once you start getting into pvp. The Tri Bares necklace is also really cheap to make if you use cron stones for it but we won't upgrade it past tri. The gladiator belt however will be upgraded and kept until you get a best in slot belt. You can already buy/upgrade your awakening weapon before getting the awakening so make sure you do that so you can equip it right away. Green awakening weapons can be bought at the weapons trader in Altinova next to the blacksmith.

• III TRI: Liverto Blade
    • II DUO: Ultimate Grunil Helmet
    • II DUO: Ultimate Taritas Armor
    • II DUO: Ultimate Taritas Gloves
    • II DUO: Ultimate Grunil Shoes
    • II DUO: Mark of Shadow
    • II DUO: Blue Coral Earring
    • I PRI: Red Coral Earring
    • II DUO: Necklace of Shultz the Gladiator
    • II DUO: Belt of Shultz the Gladiator

For this gear step you will have to make 2 decisions. First off you can either go for a tri liverto or you could skip it and go straight for a kzarka, the best in slot weapon. Those are acquired rather easily nowadays, they often go through bid phase and i don't think the preorder price is above 120 million. However the kzarka is a lot more expensive than the liverto while not giving to much of a benefit. So personally i think at this point the min maxing is not worth the extra money yet and you can always sell your liverto later albeit this can take a bit of time. If you have never enchanted a liverto before make sure to repair it only by using artisan's memory (400 loyalties or 50 pearls) together with an unenchanted liverto. Artisan's memory triples the amound of durability you get back on a blue item and will save you a lot of money when enchanting a liverto.
    The second decision is an easier one. If you plan on participating in pvp from time to time you need to start enchanting at least one red coral earring for the accuracy. However if you are sure you will play this game only pvewise then you can just stick with another blue coral and get that to duo. The reason why all armor is still duo here is because i don't think you should be actually aiming for enchanting it but rather keep failstacking on it and if it goes tri you won't be as mad as if you were failstacking on gear you are not wearing. This is the point where you should consider saving up 100 million at all times to be able to snipe boss gear off the marketplace.

• III TRI: Liverto Blade
    • III TRI: Ultimate Taritas Helmet
    • III TRI: Ultimate Taritas Armor
    • III TRI: Bheg's Gloves
    • III TRI: Ultimate Taritas Shoes
    • II DUO: Red Coral Earring
    • III TRI: Necklace of Shultz the Gladiator
    • III TRI: Belt of Shultz the Gladiator
    This is basically the "pvp ready budget set" that we are aiming for. Bhegs are an absolute must for pvp and also relatively easy acquirable. Preorder is probably like 120 million. Since while wearing it you lose the grunil bonus i recommend exchanging the grunil helmet for a third taritas so you get the accuracy set bonus. The gladiator accessories should be the first to be upgraded to tri since they give the most ap for the lowest price. Up unto this point gearing up was "easy" since we are not going for rare boss gear yet or trying to upgrade really expensive accessories to tri or higher.

http://bdoplanner.com/save/[[9],[11...,[-1,-1]],[-1],[-1,[-1]],[-1],[-1],[-1],[-1]]
    • III TRI: Kzarka Blade
    • III TRI: Dandelion Kerispear
    • III TRI: Nouver Horn Bow
    • III TRI: Giath's Helmet
    • III TRI: Dim Tree Spirit's Armor
    • III TRI: Bheg's Gloves
    • III TRI: Muskan's Shoes
    • II DUO: Red Coral Earring
    • III TRI: Necklace of Shultz the Gladiator
    • III TRI: Belt of Shultz the Gladiator
    Now we get to the point were it's very unrealistic to plan to upgrade your gear just like these planners suggest. You are gonna get your boss gear when RNG decides to have mercy and the same goes for the expensive accessory upgrades we are going for next. After the previous gear step you should honestly just try to get your hands on what you can and not worry to much about specific upgrade steps, However here is the gear you should be ultimately aiming at besides full pen of course:

http://bdoplanner.com/save/[[9],[11...7,15132]],[-1],[-1,[-1]],[-1],[-1],[-1],[-1]]
    • IV TET: Kzarka Blade
      • Black Magic Crystal - Carmae
      • Black Magic Crystal - Precision
    • IV TET: Dandelion Kerispear
    • IV TET: Nouver Horn Bow
      • Awakened Spirit's Crystal
      • Magic Crystal of Infinity - Critical
    • IV TET: Giath's Helmet
      • Black Magic Crystal - Harphia
      • Black Magic Crystal - Harphia
    • IV TET: Dim Tree Spirit's Armor
      • Magic Crystal of Infinity - Evasion
      • Magic Crystal of Infinity - Evasion
    • IV TET: Bheg's Gloves
      • Black Magic Crystal - Precision
      • Black Magic Crystal - Valor
    • IV TET: Muskan's Shoes
      • Black Magic Crystal - Hystria
      • Red Battlefield Crystal: Adamantine
    • III TRI: Ring of Crescent Guardian
    • III TRI: Ring of Crescent Guardian
    • III TRI: Red Coral Earring
    • III TRI: Red Coral Earring
    • III TRI: Ogre Ring
    • III TRI: Basilisk's Belt
    The double red coral earring is necessary for maewha because she is really accuracy hungry. Most of her skills do either have low accuracy modifiers or none at all and in high pvp you can always expect your opponent to have a good amount of evasion. The combination of 2 rce and a basilisk give more ap and accuracy than 1 rce, a witch earring/tungrads and a tree belt. Why did i not go for this combo but enchanted a tree belt instead? Because i am dumb and they were cheap.
    I believe nouver is the superior offhand for maewha in pvp since it provides us with more ap to burst people and i did some tests with the kutum and honestly the extra dp do not matter, we are so squishy if we get cced we are dead anyways unless our opponent ****s up or has no gear. However that does not mean you should completely ignore kutum. If you can get your hands on one, go for it since it's better for pve (hidden monster damage) and it's always good to have both. However i would not advise upgrading the kutum to tet.
    The crystals represented here allow us to hit attack speed level 5 (really important to speed up animations) and criticial hit rate level 3 (i did some calculations and together with the buffs from stigma and sleet steps and various other sources this is enough to get us to 100% crit rate or very close at least).
    Movement speed is also another important stat for maewha since it speeds up our dash however i personally value the knockdown resistance more since knockdown always means death. I went for the stamina crystal with only 1 movement speed instead of the 2 movement speed crystal because i value the extra stamina more for longer dashing. Also in pvp i wear the "orwen travel clothes costume" (ingame craftable costume that can be transformed to an outfit) for an extra 2 movement speed bonus.
    I use one critical crystal in the offhand because it actually provides really decent damage buffs for it's price and it is a bit difficult to get your hands on awakened spirit crystal's sometimes. I think these are personal preference though.
    The armor crystals might surprise you but special evasion means all attacks like downattacks, critical hits, backattacks etc which is basically where most of the damage comes from at all times.
    Not much to say about the rest of the crystals and to be honest i think my crystal choices are far from perfect and usually everyone kinda goes for their own build here.

Now we come to the end of this guide and i just want to say once more that i do not consider myself one of the top maewha players nor that what i say is the end all, be all. I probably got some stuff wrong or missed something and so feel free to correct me and give constructive criticism if this is the case. I also apologize if my english made you cringe sometimes, it is not my native language. I hope this guide could help you and that you will enjoy playing Maewha! *

*No innocent berserkers or fish were hurt or killed during the production of this guide

#1 Angwar, May 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  2. SereneWaves

Great guide. I'm too lazy to sit down and put in the effort to make some comprehensive guide c:

One thing I've always wondered is why no one tries the back chase into stigma. Since the back chase ignores collision, you will go straight through the enemy and the stigma will shoot u backwards with a frontal block so you are pretty safe.

Have you ever tried double precision in your gloves? I was running valor for a while, however when i did some damage tests with a friend it seemed like i was doing more with double precision than with a valor crystal. I applied all the crit bonuses from my add-ons.

Also i feel Maehwa is not a "Difficult" class in that it doesn't require a lot of technical skills to play her. The awakening is fairly easy to pick up and there aren't really any complicated animation cancels or the such. The way to master Maehwa is to understand how other classes work. Their weaknesses and windows to strike them. Also you have to learn when to go in and out as well as have a good handle on your damage output so you don't over or under commit.

#2 SereneWaves, May 17, 2017
    Last edited: May 17, 2017
    Revo and Tayanita like this.
  3. Exitious1

You deserve credit for the amount of effort you put into this. It is very extensive and covers a lot of areas.

There are some things I disagree with from my own experience and some thing I see in the guide that need correction. I will have to comb through and make a compiled list later. But overall new players will be able to benefit from this I believe.

4. Angwar

Yeah backchase is definitely an option If sleet step is on cool down. However chase only gives you superarmor (unless not on cd) so that makes it a bit less safe. I have tried 2 double precision and for me this was not the case.

5. SereneWaves

However sleet cooldown is pretty hefty. Meaning if you wanted to be perfectly safe you would have to wait 7 seconds every time you wanted to use sleet stigma or risk getting caught before you are able to get the frontal block for stigma.
    I think the back chase stigma is good for surprising people especially those using frontal block spells. But i definitely use sleet+stigma a lot more

Angwar likes this.
  6. Angwar

Thank you very much and please do so I can edit if necessary!

7. Shanothy

Been following Maehwa class forums for a guide like this, and you posted here, lol. Anyway, possible to repost this in Maehwa forums? Might be others looking at maehwa forums for a guide like this.
    Thanks!

8. dobe

Great starter guide,some combo efficiency(dmg wise) is highly questionnable even more on a first toon of a fresh player who have low ap,a free advice for the freshplayer is to look carefully on skill the following mention:air atk,down atk...ground smash.
    THose special mention give additionnal damage on skill.
    Air atk mean if you do the skill with air atk on it right after one skill inflicting float you will deal extra damage with your skill,same for down atk on grounded target but air atk modifier is higher than down atk and if you atk from the back of you're target you will have special damage modifier named back atk.
    Ground smash is a rng based ground state extender mean if the target is already grounded when you do ground smash you have % of chance to relaunch your target on another ground state for a set ammount of time.

if you have low ap you need to understand and abuse early those mechanics and pulling off greater combo damage output.

Another pitfall to avoid is if your skill have a flow dont mindlessly do the flow as the flow itself can kill your combo prematurely.(if you get a ground smash on petal bloom dont do moonlight dash there is some room to unleash the true finisher...)

#8 dobe, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
  9. Zakard Evans

Zakard Evans Eavans Maehwa NA

you really suggest 2 taritas 2 grunil over full grunil? im currently building my set and im 1 peices aways from full grunil....taritas does give more WP but other then that, full grunil seem better in every way.most guide i saw was going full grunil or they wen 2-2 and regreted it...

between it would have been great to show a actual skill build pre and post awekening with a skill calculator. some more info avout magic crystal aswell

10. dobe

Before boss armor there is no 1 ultimate armor build,i was on 2 heve 2 rocaba (hp/wp) setting and doing good with (way before i was on 2 heve and 2 agerian).
    As maehwa we need asap 400+ wp and it is the 1st priority thing we should get other thing is secondary.

Angwar likes this.
  11. dobe

For starter weapon yuria is a no go item it truly lack accu, better to go krea/rosar main hand having more accu and 1 more gemslot.
    Dont underestimate accu on pve,on the pve build you dont have any accu ont it,even on a -2 lv npc effectiveness of 2 x red coral earring can be critical vs witch's earring or blue coral earring,this is especially true on main hand skills.

#11 dobe, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 20, 2017
  12. CrazyEsP

Didnt know about this guide , very complete info . Gz and thanks for your effort !<3
    What do you think about double precision crystals for MH or double power ?

13. Honoka

Two gem slots is king > 1 gem slot gear e.g.Zaka > liverto > Rosar(has more accuracy than krea) > krea > rest is outdated. WP is NOT the limiting factor in chase spam. It's Stamina.

If you already have upgraded grunil keep it because two gem slots is best, waste of money to switch. Otherwise 3 piece heve with roaring magical armor is better due to the transition between regular armor to boss gear also saves new players money. Pri armor with +5 accuracy ,+50 hp and two gems? for free? Gainz! Two gem slot is BEST.

Crystals? I can tell you one thing, atm, for boots BMC hystria gems is BIS +150 stamina each or +300 because two slot shoe, I can chase longer than someone who has a one slot taritas shoe coupled with WP pots(npc or herbal) + will you will not run out of WP (unless chase cancel). As you see, I value stamina more than resistance because chase has SA, we have FG and SA initiators. If you got KD someone screwed up. Again, chase spam has SA, we have FG and SA initiators

p.s. There is a recent maehwa thread on reddit who has two grunil and two taritas. I hope he didn't get that from this guide.

14. dobe

I wrote we need asap 400 wp + asap but i didnt explained why,i have 470 wp after doing my most damaging combos (or i think it is) my remaining wp is 160 with 1 tick of recovery,then we add all the skill we need to before finding the target cc and the dashes,and you only have time to drink 1 pots.

Thats why 400+ wp is a requirement to not find yourself crying halfway on a combo....

15. Senyake

May i ask what kind of custome do you have? it looks cool! *.*

16. Exitious1

Okay. Sorry for the long delay on my comments.

Backstep slash:
    Can be used from awakening by doing the following:
    S + C + SPACE
    https://gyazo.com/120e860fe48ad4df95358425127e973a

Blind Thrust:
    Applies -30% accuracy debuff to target for 10 secs.
    30% crit on rank 3 without requiring to hit target for 10 secs.
    FBT (forward blind thrust) can be used to cancel into blooming (preawaken)
    FBT can be used from awakening by doing the following:
    W + C + SPACE
    https://gyazo.com/ad4d3d99439de2215b56a39cb7efa944

This can also be used to do awakened stance into preawakened FBT and then blooming:
    https://gyazo.com/4335b0818fb2e6d21938dd4e0af9bf69

Ultimate Nemesis Slash:
    Can be used in combo to float target.
    Can be used on blocking targets to heal.
    Excellent clutch heal in open world pvp combat on mobs.

Carver is ****. Dont waste points in here unless you ran out of options.
    DO NOT USE TO CANCEL BLOOMING. Risk of floating target and running standing stun lock combo.

Decap is worthless now with awakening. After 56 never use again unless to troll.

Red Moon has frontal guard... read it.
    "Beware though this skill has no frontal guard or superarmor."
    https://gyazo.com/8ec5456c101dbca4898deb4599599dd3

Blooming can be used with its first rank effectively.
    With the single strike it does not have a long animation and is used for a utility stun and quick recovery should u miss.
    https://gyazo.com/5e621d4a0ef61862494d7a6eb48b3f7f

Tigerblade has perma super armor and it attacks very fast so could be an option for nuking a forts health in NW or Sieges.

Stub arrow is available as quickslot in awakening now.
    Evasive shot is super tech. Its good for doing smooth movements that would normally be clunky with just triple arrow or normal stub.
    https://gyazo.com/3de4de342d40e99243bb6244153f7579

Maehwa's Kerispear:
    From preawaken w + c = front guard plus float on target with successful hit. its 1-2 hits so alot of accuracy is necessary.
    From preawaken s + c = avoid doing the float during a combo but still switch quickly. This will alow you to continue standing cc chain.

Full Moon Wall:
    You will experience block lock while being attacked on block unless you use Royal Rage, chase, or sleet step.

General Apricot:
    Its amazing. Gives everything we need. Our base accuracy is crap so +15% melee hit is much needed. Attack speed is your biggest ally and crit to make all your heavy attacks like moonrise, frost pillar, and tip of the iceburg hit like trucks.

Tenacious Edge:
    Its 6 hits... first 3 are hp... second 3 are wp.
    Rank increases shorten cd timer. Starts at 5 secs. Max rank is 3 secs. Super important in pvp.

Petal Drill:
    Sleet + Drill is accelerated leap compared to normal and chase usage.
    You can Drill Bend. which could get you around enemy blocks if they arent expecting it. Super tech.
    https://gyazo.com/75ca89b88de511ae0e88589cff7dabe1

Moonrise doesnt Knockdown. Only float. No float if on cd. Use wisely.
    Cloud stab doesnt Knockdown. Only float.

Sticky Snowflake:
    Can be accelerated after W + LMB and Sticky cancels Moonrise's first stab and goes straight into the Superarmor flips. You show the gif but dont comment
    Its a down attack and does very good dmg on downed opponents.

Petal bloom can be fully charged right after you knowdown an opponent using an ability like december or Frost pillar.
    They wont be able to get up in time if you time it right. Great use of the full charge.

Stigma can have 30% crit buff addon put on it and its a great way to start a combo.

Moonlight dash can be sent a different direction by camera angle.
    You can also wait to use it for 3 secs after Petal Bloom to extend your Super armor. Super Tech.

December Knockdown allows for Petal Bloom full charge.
    You can also wait to use it for 3 secs after Petal Drill to extend your Super armor. Super Tech.

Angwar and chad001 like this.
  17. Benap

Really good guide, one of the best i've seen on this game. Good job mate ! If any one wanna do the same for ninja it would be great (even if bg or Nayriko's guide are good :D)

18. Wolfhart

did you ever find out what costume that was?

19. SumAussieCobber

@Angwar Great guide!! But what outfit are you using i have looked everywhere and cant figure out the outfit is it the one you get with conqueror pack?

20. Sizer

Sizer Kilgannon Maehwa 62 NA