1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Consequences for adventurers who attack or kill other adventurers

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by Factorial, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Factorial

It's good to see a reaffirmation by pearl abyss regarding killing other adventures. Most people have this misconception that since there is PVP in BDO, then you should go ahead and kill others indiscriminately without any provocation or otherwise.

However, that is not the case. PvP is a part of BDO. Thinking that you should be allowed to kill others at whim is not. Correction: might does not make right.

Moving forward, people need to follow a simple rule: first come, first served. This is the basis of MMORPGs since conception. However, it's a concept that seems lost on newcomers to the MMORPG world.

It's easy to avoid penalties of killing others: if you happen to come to a camp that is already being used by another, blindly attacking the current occupant isn't the way to do things. Find somewhere else to hunt or ask the current occupant for arrangements or other accommodations.

If you cannot follow this simple rule, embrace and accept the penalties. There are other ways to avoid these penalties. It's rather obvious.

That said, BDO is a sandbox. Play as you see fit. However, accept the consequences of your actions.

Enjoy.

2. Tirae

Honestly the karma system almost reminds me of Lineage II, one of the first MMOs I played seriously back in the day. I had a 'red' character that went around killing people.. mostly the Chinese farmers (nothing racial, they really were from China and farming gold to sell to US players) that were using bots to auto-farm dungeons and areas with groups of monsters 24/7. I don't know if it was referred to as Karma back then, but your name would go red after you killed enough players (I think your first kill it turns pinkish, then goes red after that).

Being red meant you couldn't enter towns as the guards would attack you on sight, and you were also a free target for other players. If you died as a red player you had a chance to lose your equipment as well, but many players enjoyed the 'thrill' of it. Unlike with BDO, there wasn't any 'benefit' to being red I think for a long, long time. Not sure when it was, but sometime after I had already stopped playing they released some karma weapon that you could only wield if you were a pker. I think, anyways!

One of my fears in this game that keeps my life skiller at 49 permanently, is being PKed while I'm doing trade runs between cities, or I go out to fish on my boat. Other than that I think I'd welcome it, and might even make a side character for the purpose of attacking other players indiscriminately.

DeltaTiger and CaptainDuckman like this.
  3. Hr1s7i

Oh another one of those moral high ground treats. Splendid!

1. Misconception for you, legit way of thinking for ''most''. That makes their way the norm. Also ''unprovoked''? Their presence can be interpreted as provocation;
    2. What people think or do is their business, especially when it's within the scope of the system;
    3. Nobody needs to follow anything. There is no universally approved way of doing things;
    4. It's as good a way to do things as any;
    5. What penalties? Karma? If I'm farming and the other guy is killing himself in my attacks, he's not being productive with his time as he isn't farming;
    6. This is what happens currently;

4. Sibyyl

Sibyyl Heart Maehwa 63 NA

Exp loss on pvp death would solve every karma bombing issue out there.

I'm not convinced exp loss is the best solution but imo it is better that what we've come to.

Edit: Instant teleport back to town on pvp death would solve a lot too. That, and deleting elion's from cash shop.

IWalkAlone and Sidina like this.
  5. Yulanda

Yulanda Sorceress 61

From the "Post Heidel Ball" Dev notes Q&A:

"The penalty for negative karma is too harsh. Five to six crystals are being broken.
    PA: We believe there must be consequences for adventurers who attack or kill other adventurers. Penalties are currently applied based on intervals of different amounts of karma. Those who have very low karma have the highest penalty. This is intentional, and we do not plan on changing this."

https://community.blackdesertonline...e-post-heidel-ball.450784/page-2#post-2196464

Though this might be of interest to some

SilverWolf and Ben Phoenix like this.
  6. Myntiix

Myntiix Archer

Inb4 some lifeskiller : there should be more penalties.

Naho, Allan1985 and VasilisD like this.
  7. flukeSG2

flukeSG2 Tamer 62 NA

Most of the suggestions I've seen on the forum aren't suggesting that, only the trolls. The suggestion I see the most is to add some type of penalty on death again to balance the system, whether it spawns in town or respawn timer increases.

Sibyyl, MMoNoob and Sidina like this.
  8. FreeWill

if they think they will ever remove karma penalties for killing players or change it to make it softer they are deadly wrong.

9. Myntiix

Myntiix Archer

Dont need to remove it, just to adjust it. Its ridicilous if you loose 200-800m in crystals from 1 death.

Sidina likes this.
  10. FreeWill

the devs chose to put in that amount of penalization and it will hardly change for the whim of few entitled players. it's your choice to lose that much. no one forces you to.

11. Zycrus

Only one being entitled in this forum is you. Everyone else is open for arrangements and meeting in the middle (like keeping the karma system, but make the person who dies from pvp respawn in the closest city, not node).
    And guess what. I see more people suffering from entitled players like you than the other way round. The high geared players are perfectly fine with coming to arrangements usually. It is the lower geared people who refuse to do that. And, surprise, high geared people usually do not waste their time at low level spots. But low geared people think they can waste other people’s time by trying to grind high level spots

12. FreeWill

so you have seen this change in korea already? if not then you're daydreaming. that's your way of wasting time not mine.

13. Aelisah

What I'd wish is that going red would only make you attackable by relatives of that player that youbecame red from. Such as friends and guildies. That way it could become a bounty hunt more like :D

Or even the possibility to PUT bounties on people once they killed you out and became red due to that :D Would be such fun.. maybe should put as a suggestion :D

It's **** getting karma bombed , then turn red, and die because of a stranger that know nothing about it and wouldave spared him if he knew it was cause of karmabombing :D

14. FreeWill

if this is true then why the devs haven't changed anything not even in korea? it's probably close to 100% that YOU are the one being delusional here.
    so yes no point to keep going on about this.

same applies to @Myntiix

Drenoz and CaptainDuckman like this.
  15. Myntiix

Myntiix Archer

Because devs always do the right things amirite bois?

WinterMilla, Findubar and flukeSG2 like this.
  16. Unranked

Unranked Unranked Striker 62 EU

Now I wonder, Imagine if someone is grinding somewhere more or less with his eyes closed, and he is flagged while he is doing it. Would he be considered evil of some other player comes along and throws himself in this guys attacks to get killed? Keep in mind this grinding guy isn't even responding to the other guy, just minding his own buisnuiss. I want to know the opinion of especially @Factorial and @Columba about this.

17. FreeWill

are you trying to say someone has to contact the korean devs? yes, that's you. it's not me whining for something that is already ok as it is. so go on and see what they tell you. good luck.

18. Myntiix

Myntiix Archer

Litteraly, what? I said devs do stupid decisions all the time, best example = karma system. Unbalanced as mystic in her release phase.

19. DheReaper

DheReaper Ranger 61 EU

When someone talks about pvp but is scared to go - karma... Fricking casuals...

FreeWill likes this.
  20. Myntiix

Myntiix Archer

Misses the point, congrats. Calling other people casuals - being level 61.

Averdun and Nagasaki like this.