1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crimson Desert Online first trailer reactions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Motoko_Shi, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Smileybones

Smileybones Ranger 61 NA

Unlike what triggered haters might think, investing some profits into making a new game from scratch while having learnt from previous mistakes is positive.

Besides, it's what every gaming company on the planet does, except maybe Blizzard with WoW.

Stres and Maevynn like this.
  2. T800

BDO players - we want more Group content!!!
    Pearl Abyss - releases a single player story MMORPG.

Yeah, don't think they are.

3. Maevynn

It's an MMORPG with a single-player campaign, and they just showed off the single-player campaign. We have no idea what the actual MMORPG looks like yet.

Smileybones likes this.
  4. T800

G-STAR is basically our E3 i heard, so when you go there, you present as much as you can of your game to captivate the future players, not just a small part of it.
    The fact that they only spoke about " Traditional MMORPG " and showed none of it, make me to believe it's in a Skeleton state, and won't be as massive as in BDO.

5. T800

No it's the opposite, it's a Single Player Game with MMORPG elements in it. The fact that they showed zero MMORPG elements in the presentation, while information is already spreading about Beta next year, just confirms it.

6. Stres

Who plays an mmorpg for the story? Don't we all want to create our own story in these games with other players.

Smileybones likes this.
  7. Maevynn

G-STAR is the Korean E3 basically, yeah, though they're also going to show up at E3. Crimson Desert's only been in development for about a year.

It may very well be in a less-than-finished state (an MMORPG is probably less ready to show off in its early stages and look at all impressive compared to a single-player campaign), and while it Crimson Desert be not as massive as it is in BDO — we really don't know, but they said it would be a 'vast' amount of traditional MMORPG content, and they mentioned those three tribes fighting for the control of the continent.

PA has mentioned that Crimson Desert is their 'new flagship' MMORPG. They're putting all of their chips in on this, and they probably wouldn't describe it as an MMORPG if it's not going to be one.
    Just look at Pearl Abyss's announcement of it:
    • "Crimson Desert is an open-world MMORPG set in an epic-fantasy world."
    And the tagline of the official Crimson Desert site:
    • "Crimson Desert | Epic Fantasy MMORPG - Pearl Abyss"
    And the description of their official twitter:
    • "The official Twitter account of #CrimsonDesert, an upcoming epic fantasy open world MMORPG by Pearl Abyss."
    The press release earlier this year also spoke of it as an MMORPG:
    • "To give you more information about Project CD, it encompasses the great amount of experience Pearl Abyss has actually acquired and the insight we have acquired when we have been developing Black Desert. And through Black Desert, we also have success in the PC but also in the console as well. So we have seen proven success that MMORPG can also succeed in the Western market based on console."
    • "Actually, it might be somewhat different from a traditional MMORPG game like Black Desert, but it will be a game regardless of whether it's console or a PC that many users can enjoy."

Motoko_Shi likes this.
  8. Motoko_Shi

Motoko_Shi DarkKnight 62 NA

It's too early to draw conclusions. My only real question is upon what basis can we believe they aren't going to gradually abandon BDO for CD? It's being called a successor, new flagship MMO with PVP, lifeskills, and a story. To the extent that CD is like BDO, it is its competition.

Ben Phoenix likes this.
  9. Motoko_Shi

Yeah, we wouldn't want them to do the same thing as the most successful MMORPG of all time.

Ben Phoenix likes this.
  10. T800

Here is my take on how Crimson Desert was born, based on the explanation they released after trailer:

During the whole hiatsu, where Dev team 2 years ago began to focus on the Story of Black Desert - someone came up with the idea of making an Expansion for BDO base on a Single player story set in the BDO past:
    [​IMG]

They liked the idea, until a Greedy CEO came around and asked: " Why should we give it to them for free? " So just like with Shadow Arena, they made it in to a separate game, but in order to sell it, came up with a Game of Thrones/Witcher story.

Than the head of Milk Department in PA, came about and " Where is my milk in all this? " - so they slapped a MMORPG title to it.

You are over simplifying things. Look at the trailer closely, they have build an entire world, Town, Cities, NPC's, Monsters, Monsters mechanics. - all of it was " In-game footage "

If you think that Korean Developers are so dumb, that they would make Single Player game, than start making Open World MMO for it from scratch, than you will probably also be the first one to get milked in Crimson Desert.

Auralexia and Motoko_Shi like this.
  11. Smileybones

Smileybones Ranger 61 NA

Good point, too bad you don't stick to it further in your post:

No one officially called it a successor

No one officially talked about either PVP or lifeskills, only about the story.

As I said previously, you should have sticked to your initial statement, it would have prevented you from drawing a questionnable conclusion based on no facts.

12. Maevynn

A chairman of Pearl Abyss and the original creator of BDO/Pearl Abyss has been working on this game since mid-2018. It is in an entirely new engine and would not work as an 'expansion for BDO', because it does not use BDO's game engine. It would have always had to have been a separate game. If this had somehow originally started as an 'expansion for BDO' as you theorize, then they would have had to scrap the entire thing to make this anyway which is much more work.

They also can't just slap an 'MMORPG' on all of their sites and then not have an MMORPG, they'd be eaten alive for it by the press. I do entirely agree that they've built an entire world/town/cities/NPC/etc. It was definitely in-game footage and does represent what the game will look like.

I do not think they're dumb, I think they're pretty smart. They're bundling a single-player RPG as a mode for an MMORPG, so that fans who're interested in a game like Witcher/Red Dead Redemption will also pay for it even if they don't care about the MMORPG aspect. It's pretty genius.

Smileybones likes this.
  13. Motoko_Shi

Plausible. The giants look identical to BDO.

T800 likes this.
  14. Smileybones

Smileybones Ranger 61 NA

Yeah and in the trailer there is a city on a mountain, omg it's totally like Drieghan (despite the fact cities don't share the same architectural style, but who cares about details). A city on a mountain !

15. Maevynn

Yeah, I think that's generally what the real discussion should be on regarding Crimson Desert — How will PA ensure that it isn't going to compete with BDO?

I'd say it's very likely the action combat is going to be slower-paced if the single-player campaign informs the MMORPG. It'd be very weird to have the kind of stuff they showed off and then being able to kill 1,000 enemies in 20 minutes. Probably less insane AoEs and that sort of thing. I'm almost thinking it may be more like For Honor's combat, which will probably attract a very different crowd than people who're interested in BDO's style of combat.

As T800 pointed out, we don't really know the full extent of the MMORPG. It could be much simpler than BDO, or it could be wider—we don't really know that yet, which is where the big mystery comes in.

Motoko_Shi likes this.
  16. Motoko_Shi

Coffee done yet?
    U didn't answer the question.
    Certainly didn't watch the vid.
    Kick a dead horse some more.
    How you always, like
    Own yourself so badly
    Like I don't even need to reply.
    Don't @ me.

Ben Phoenix likes this.
  17. T800

I wouldn't call it a new engine - it's just an improved BDO engine - that why they could totally ripped of everything from Black Desert, from the Mountains to the Houses, and NPC's with slight alterations.

And just like Blade and Soul can update their game from UE3 to UE4 Engine, same will happen in BDO, it will get updated to this " new " engine just as easily, if they want it to.

18. T800

I am pretty sure even an intern can change the texture and structure on the walls to make it look different. It's a Copy-Past of BDO with few alterations.

Auralexia and Motoko_Shi like this.
  19. Smileybones

Smileybones Ranger 61 NA

Assumption based on no technical evidence.

A hating buddy of yours tried to make a whole topic based on your narrative and got called out point by point. Once again, you're assuming with no technical data to backup your "opinion".

20. Smileybones

Smileybones Ranger 61 NA

Thanks for clearly demonstrating you have no clue what you're talking about and are only parroting rumors, looking ridiculous in the process.

Motoko_Shi likes this.