1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crimson Desert Online first trailer reactions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Motoko_Shi, Nov 14, 2019.

1. T800

Just think for a moment, where have you seen a Game with a trailer like this:

After just 1 year of development on a new game engine? Do you really believe that they build ALL of that in just 1 year from scratch? This is not CGI trailer, this is actual game.

So isn't it more believable that they simply copy-pasted it all from BDO, and then altered it to fit the new narrative?

Auralexia and Motoko_Shi like this.
  2. MinMaid

MinMaid Maehwa 1 NA

Seems like the normal for obsessed bdo players is to attack any new game coming out just embrace the future BDO killer.

3. Smileybones

Smileybones Ranger 61 NA

Ever heard of middleware. They can afford it now.

4. T800

Show me what elements of the Crimson Desert that would qualify to kill BDO?

5. Maevynn

I don't think it's a CGI trailer and never have. Also, considering they make millions of dollars every quarter and have over 600 people at PA, it probably is possible in 1 year. However, I do think that the single-player campaign, if it is separate from the MMORPG, may not even be open-world and might be more something more linear with preset story levels with boundaries—which would explain how they've gotten so much done so fast and how it doesn't really threaten to take over the MMORPG aspect.

PA has already said that this was going to be a prequel to BDO before they decided to do something else instead, that much has been very plainly stated. There will be some similarities and nobody's arguing otherwise, they said as much. And if it took longer than a year, so what? It's not just the entire map copy-pasted from BDO.

Look at how big this area is:
    [​IMG]
    And then compare to Serendia, the largest wide-open space we have of a similar climate:
    [​IMG]

That whole space looks to be way larger than Serendia. If all they did is copy-paste BDO's entire landmass, how did they achieve that? Where have we ever seen a city that looks like the one in the background? It doesn't look like Heidel, Calpheon, or Velia. How could the huge snowy area that they've shown be copy-pasted from BDO's world if PA hasn't even begun working on BDO's own snowy area yet? It doesn't even have detailed map textures.

If you mean they re-used assets? Then they definitely seem to have reused some. You'll find all game developers reusing assets between their games when they can to save time, it's not a crime.

Smileybones likes this.
  6. T800

If you think someone can make a game like that in 1 year, and that copy-paste with Alteration means directly copy-pasting maps from one game to another - i don't think i should bother replying to you, you simply live in a fantasy world far far from the reality.

7. Smileybones

Smileybones Ranger 61 NA

I made a technical point about middleware, too bad you conveniently did choose to ignore it, while managing to talk about living far from the reality.

8. Maevynn

What do you mean by "copy-paste with alteration" if that entire region I posted a screenshot of looks like nothing we've seen before, then? I might be misunderstanding you, what does copy-paste with alteration mean to you, personally?

And have you worked on level design? I've done work for a game company, but only through doing concept art and supplying them with the stuff they need to begin modeling things out, and I've done my own 3D sculpting and modeling and texturing. I've never done level design for a company, only for personal projects. Perhaps your knowledge of these things is different than mine, but perhaps something that isn't being considered with the "since mid-2018" thing is that PA has been working on the engine for this game (which also runs Plan 8 and DokeV) for much longer than just the past year and a half. That's where a lot of the time goes when making a game, which yes—they have been working on the engine for years now. That is likely where much of the "expected time" for this went. Since it's a custom engine and not a widely-available one, it's also almost definitely specifically tailored to their new games' needs and probably makes work much more streamlined.

And like I said, if it's a linear solo-campaign without open-world exploration then they don't need to do nearly as much work on the stuff in the background. All they would need to focus on is what the players will see/experience as Macduff.

9. MikeyMutz

agreed it seems like they're taking the make money now ask questions later road instead of aiming for the make money later when they have a quality product

Motoko_Shi likes this.