1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crimson Desert....potential sequel or successor to BDO announced

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by WillJoestar, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Maevynn

Yeah, I thought it was extremely clear with how they said that in the single-player campaign we'd be playing "MacDuff, son of Martinus" that it's a single-player campaign for that part, and that they specified that there'll be an MMORPG as well.

All of the talks about this being a BDO prequel/sequel/successor are why it's happening. PA themselves never said that (in fact they clarified on multiple occasions that it's separate from BDO's IP), but IMO people kind-of had it in their heads that it would be and the name itself probably didn't help. Everyone got convinced it'd just be BDO in a better engine and are now confused.
    While it could be like you said, Deyric, there are way too many parallels to modern BDO societies there. We essentially saw a recreated Treant/Heidel/Serendia. I've been having trouble figuring out how to word it, but the way some people described it worked really well: CD seems like "a soft reboot" or like PA "were inspired to make a new ip based on their journey to make a prequel for bdo"

That's how I, personally, interpreted all of it.

The Northerners ask how the "lowlanders" (in contrast to the gruff Northerners, of which we know none because BDO's north is just a Mediterranean coastline of ports and quaint little farms) took over an Empire, which makes no sense in BDO's lore with anything reflecting its modern era—but the environments and cities look like something of a redesigned reflection of BDO's modern-ish era. They have a huge amount of parallels to BDO lore too, it's just shifted in an integral enough way that it's unlikely to actually be BDO so much as a reboot of BDO's concepts with different lore, in my opinion. I think CD is rebooting BDO from the ground up in a sense, lore included.

2. kakodaimonos

Wish I had the time for that sadly I can only go for some games. And it's not me against the company. It's me against delusional people who are ok with the greed that is now standard in almost every game because the sheeps pay for it.
    The companies are not the problem. You, the people who pay for this are.

Phoenixxx75 likes this.
  3. Maevynn

Actually, we have a direct clarification from Pearl Abyss:
    More on it, can't figure out exactly where they're pulling it from but:

#303 Maevynn, Nov 14, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    Smileybones and Whitrix like this.
  4. Kn0xxPT

Kn0xxPT Striker 62 EU

Well, in those "party" contents, maybe I should said that Party content is not rewarding as much as solo. even item party distribution is wierd.

5. DheReaper

DheReaper Ranger 62 EU

This is the problem, you want rewards over rewards... Do you ever think that you should play for fun, not for rewards?

6. LithicForm

God what I would give for either BnS to get updated with the P2W removed or for someone else to make a copy with said elements. I've been playing BnS in lieu of BDO for the past month and a half. So much fun, even with the game in the crap state it's in.

7. Erroll

Erroll DarkKnight 63

Or PA adjust rewards and it work ? It seems hard to do that, woooow...

8. Xenon

Xenon Kallitren Ninja 61 NA

This whole "play for fun" argument is invalid, since part of the fun in mmos for some people are the rewards. The progression you gain, the increase of wealth, the higher your numbers go. That's part of it. There's nothing wrong with worrying about the reward, since it's part of the content.

9. MindaugasR

Did they will give ray traced support to this new game ? If yes I leave BDO as soon as this game open. Then you try one time play game with ray traced you never want back too games without it even if you need sacrifice half your FPS for that :P

10. Kn0xxPT

Kn0xxPT Striker 62 EU

ehrmmm... ok lets go for psicology of gaming .....
    You play for fun first, then you play for the fun of getting rewarded by playing, then if you dont get rewarded you loose the fun. Basic Mind Triggers 101.
    Do you like to kill Karanda for fun or for fun and possible to be Rewared of doing that ( dandelion etc ).

Phoenixxx75 and Erroll like this.
  11. levinano

There are a lot of things people want to do "for fun" too like just exploring and immersing themselves in the game and the lore. Literally the moment you stop trying to be "competitive" and look at progression as a meter and just play the game as an alternate life setting RPG, BDO becomes a million times "funner" even with 0 physical rewards lol

12. Eight Hundred

It seems to be a habit with these guys. They first abandon development on C9 to found Peal Abyss and make BDO. Now they've leaving BDO by the wayside to make this. I still kind miss C9, I will never not be mad at Webzen for being so incompetent of a publisher.

Auralexia likes this.
  13. Xenon

Xenon Kallitren Ninja 61 NA

See, here's the problem with that: It just becomes another game when you do that. There are better games out there for those kind of things. When you stop playing a grinder as a grinder, it just becomes a bland kind of game. Plus exploration loses its appeal after a couple weeks ingame. Hell, you can buy a 60 dollar game and save yourself the other 140 you'd spend to be efficient here while getting a similar experience doing the same thing you suggest.

If you take out BDO's pvp and combat, there's no real point to this game over others. Hell, I'd argue Tera is a much better pve action combat experience in an mmo shell, as poor as it has gotten now. So it really comes down to the appeal of BDO's pvp with a little bit of lifeskill spice on top of it. Archeage does the latter better, too. So basically, if you give up on being hardcore in pvp in this game, imo, there's no real point to it.

Kn0xxPT, Blitzball and JM like this.
  14. PeaceInChaos

PeaceInChaos Sorceress 63 NA

I really hope so, man. I just don't know with this company, though. I've come to expect the worst, most scummy, more money grabbing tactics / mentalities out of them with lackluster efforts put into fixing real problems in a timely and effective manner. If it is seen as too difficult to fix, or will take too much time and money for them to fix, they'll bandaid it (like SMH guild payouts. No fix after it was HEAVILY exploited) or hit the delete button (like Shadow Arena). I really hope CDO is a themepark MMORPG, that way, it's not just BDO 2 (same game, prettier graphics).

15. MindaugasR

Only few people this day care about game play most people just care about graphic make game with best looking graphic in market and it will be successful game even with poor game play. Do you really think that BDO been successful game if they used 10+ year old not own graphic engine ? Many developer still think that they need unique game play too make successful game but the truth that this days most people care only about graphic. Don't tell about wow or other games they exception because they was created very long time ago then people not care about graphic that they still successful game. If all this games been created today with that level graphic they been unsuccessful game as many other.

16. LightningFFXIII-4

Missed opportunity for PA to remake BDO as BDO 2, ppl were ready to jump ship too. Guess they dont want money.

17. LesserHellspawn

This is how I've been playing BDO for well over 10000 hours by now.

The new game ? Looks amazing, sound promising, but it's way to early to make a decision. though the much darker and grittier tone of the trailer has me at least intrigued.

When I saw the first trailers of BDO in 2014 and then later gameplay videos from the korean version, I was hooked. Everything I played from that point on was just a holdover until BDO finally came to EU. CD invokes similar feelings, and this time it'll probably be a global release. And until then I still have tons of stuff to do in BDO.

Ganymede Sicard likes this.
  18. crosspath

Buy more pearls, will be used to fund Crimson Desert, game that you will enjoy if you are masochist enough to pay to play another game of these cashgrab artists...

Not me, definitely.

PS: Big bollocks for saying that the new game will be your main game while presenting nothing but a video(zero gameplay) mix of game of thrones and Skyrim..

Then spending not a single minute speaking about BDO plans... BDO is ded product for them. Not making a trillion dollars a month thus no good it seems...

#318 crosspath, Nov 14, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    valasceria and PeaceInChaos like this.
  19. nolasigns

They literally talk about bdo before the first trailer of whatever that pubg rip-off trailer was shown

PeaceInChaos likes this.
  20. levinano

I honestly think that's a very strange way to put it, it's like you've decided what can and should be enjoyable for other players. Not every player does PvP, I'm in a lifeskill guild and no one PvPs except me, hell, people there think that only 30% of BDO's population really cares about PvP (I don't really agree), but the point is, there are plenty of people enjoying the game casually without a competitive mindset.

I don't deny your point that many other games do things BDO has to offer, but better, besides PvP combat, but imo it's about having everything together in one shared world. PvP is an option, so is grinding mobs or building ships and just the general sense of making money. RuneScape, for example, does lifeskill a billion times better, but it being a different game without the same people and the same world itself makes it a lot less enjoyable. Afterall, it's BDO's world that I want to explore and want to exist in, not Gielinor. That's what differs between progressing slowly and exploring and just enjoying an MMORPG, it's that whatever you find and enjoy, it isn't just you, it's world that you share with tens of thousands of others. If GTA V didn't have an online mode, unless you're a YouTuber that likes to do "10 things you didn't know about ____" vids, endless amounts of exploring or casual grinding feels absolutely pointless if you aren't properly rewarded for it (Skyrim No Stone Unturned quest or Return to Your Roots quest) because whatever achievements or experience you had in those games, you can't share it physically with others besides in conversations at the bar or something.

In MMOs, I agree that getting rewarded definitely is the best way to go and is preferred, but even if you spend your time doing things that doesn't "progress" you further, it can still be fun. Though I also wouldn't say this applies to every individual out there.