1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crimson Desert....potential sequel or successor to BDO announced

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by WillJoestar, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Maevynn

They have a PA-specific event that happens every year ("Black Desert Festa") at the beginning of December, they're probably going to talk about BDO more at that point. If they tried to stuff BDO into G-STAR too there wouldn't have been enough time to do anything, and if they tried to do all of this at Festa then it would have overshadowed all of the BDO content because describing it all would take so long. (And don't forget that G-STAR is sort of like Korea's E3. It's a trade show a bunch of companies show up at, not something purely run by PA.)

In my opinion, it was probably the best decision they could've made to have BDO have its own separate stream. That being said we don't really know that they won't bring up these other games at Festa, but given that it's been called "Black Desert Festa" in the past it'll probably be primarily about BDO.

2. HRose

Just for a second ask yourself what a "single player" game does add to a massively multiplayer one.

If PA wanted to make a single player game, that's fine. But shoving a single player-directed game within a MMO will only lead to having two mediocre games in one.

Do you really need linear, scripted, single player content in your MMO? Can't you just play a game built around that, and play something else when you want a MMO?

Having two contrasting and contradicting portions can only end up with them tripping over each other repeatedly.

A game that, surely, it does MORE things, all of them poorly.

You don't need a new game to fix BDO problems, you need good design. And you need focus, because mmorpgs are the most complex and ambitious piece of game software. When your game company spreads across multiple projects it will only end up cultivating mediocrity. The wider the pool, the shallower it is.

Phoenixxx75 and PeaceInChaos like this.
  3. Oren steel

wait you left a p2w game to play another more p2w game? seriously?

MADE likes this.
  4. crosspath

Best decision to have his own separate stream? This is just your mere opinion, you have no proof of this, you don't know if they will do a Festa next year nor if they will speak about BDO at all. You are just saying "probably" bla bla bla and bring ZERO facts to the table. What a nice oportunity to spend 5 minutes speaking about the new BDO map, ah, forgot, there is NONE coming.

This will cost them dearly, first time I see a game company announcing that they are developing direct competition to their own successful product, sorry, but anyone doing this is dumb as F, specially cause game is only 3-4 years old. Investors are already making their move, specially after just bringing cinematics to the table, and showing that Crimson Desert is just a Skyrim MOD.

You should start saving for the crimson tent, crimson cooking outfit, etc, you will have to buy all again to get same unbalanced zero PvP cashgrab ****.

And what did they say? Please enlighten me, did they just say "we are the publishers of BDO"? Is this talking about it? What a clever reply, facepalm.

#324 crosspath, Nov 15, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2019
  5. Catastigma

its you that bullshiting.

Since 2017 PAbyss have a *Keynote* that speak ONLY and UNIQULY About BDO
    https://www.invenglobal.com/article...t-festa-new-region-dreagan-neater-ui-and-more

https://www.invenglobal.com/article...introduces-future-updates-and-reworks-for-bdo

You are pretty ignorant for a guys that *have a account since 2016*

Its you that speculate the much, look at you in the mirror sometimes ... It's not because you affirm your thoughts that it makes them fact.
    By all information we have, its realy dishonesty to compare Crimson desert to BDO, Its we clearly know that its s SOLOPLAYING GAME with a mmo part. ( Hybrid like they say )
    You can compare this to Dragon age Inquisition/Mass Effect andromeda. or a GTA-like/Gw1 or more recent Outward.

Something that generaly we call a Coorpg.

6. crosspath

First. I don't give a **** what kind of game that **** is, I won't buy it even with your money. Not dumb enough to fall twice with the same empty promises, they showed their true colours multiple times already, basically, i am not cuck enough.

Second, they said that that **** is their flagship game now, they already sent a ton of BDO resources and people to that team.

Third, they didn't say a nyerk about BDO cause they have another event to do so? Seriously, only someone stupid would buy such a crappy whiteknighting try... Desperate, huh? They did not speak about BDO cause they have nothing planned at all.

Go buy some pearls to fund Crimson Skyrim. Ordillita probably will never come, start accepting it.

#326 crosspath, Nov 15, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    MADE likes this.
  7. Catastigma

You know that you are wrong ?... Pearls Abyss is not anymore the team of 73 developer. thier are more that 600 now.
    Do some research and find another game studio to compare.

i feel like speaking with Apocalypse religions people hate-focus mentality.... where the end of the world is each years and on everything...
    insulting you its not realy my intent.

Anyway the discustion is pointless... Useless to speak with emotionaly closed-mind. He who has no doubt about these words, is called his madness. we care of you, visit a psy

#327 Catastigma, Nov 15, 2019
    Naho and Smileybones like this.
  8. Deyric

And that disqualifies it how? Their setting could have cyclical history.

9. crosspath

Go read your crystal ball again and tell me what will be shown in Festa.

Game companies would not act like they do if there were no people paying for this stuff and accepting subsubsubsubpar service... And furthermore, defending the company and even WISHING TO PAY FOR MORE OF THEIR EMPTY PROMISES.

Definitely these guys are very clever...

Wow, this conversation is far more enjoyable than BDO and CDO together, but still not at the level of DDO.

#329 crosspath, Nov 15, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2019
  10. nolasigns

I don't need to enlighten you. The stream is still all over the place so that you can enlighten yourself. If you're too lazy to go find truth on your own, you're most likely the lazy minded that refused to accept the truth.

Smileybones likes this.
  11. Smileybones

Smileybones Ranger 61 NA

This community must be the only one world wide to complain that a company invests part of their profits to release new games with improved engines, and start from scratch with previous mistakes experience.

Would you shame Arenanet for releasing GW2 just because you put money into GW1 or shame Square for releasing FFIXV.

"gamers" these days.

Naho and IWalkAlone like this.
  12. Catastigma

This is pretty much warranty.
    The New oriental character trailer or/with the Rhutum/orc one.
    Trailer with the region of Ordiletta and a release date.
    Nations Wars Trailer
    Annonce of Season 4 of node war.
    Annonce of the Event BDOxBerzerk Crossover.
    A Kill/dead ratio Sheet of every classe during KR siege for showing the actual balance
    Many requests for forgiveness
    A free maid for everyone.

Now stuff that would be surely quote/futur content
    Completly rework of Kamasilvia main quest.
    New worker system?
    Dreighan part 2 ? the Kingdom of Haso? ( port ratt)
    1v1 2v2 3v3 arena.
    New Iris choice and customisation ect.. (hairstyle)
    Rework of the Rich Merchant's Ring
    Maybe a *Free the shai knee* awnser.

There is other thing related to the survey made by Andaro that we might see. I would not dwell on everything listed.

13. Maevynn

PA have had a press release within the last day that's clarified it some:

Similarly, in prior releases from PA, they said:

News sites also mention that it's different:

They've been reliably doing so since August, which is why I've been saying it's different than BDO's world:

All of this entirely lines up with what was said at G-STAR, it seems they were just explaining where they got the inspiration and how Crimson Desert's universe came to be:

Deyric and Whitrix like this.
  14. LesserHellspawn

For the record, I'm still bitter that the 3rd GW1 expansion was canned. And I quit GW2 after roughly a year, since it just wasn't the game I wanted to play. Sadly GW1 was by then deserted.

15. Maevynn

Yeah, I was sad to see that the last expansion got canned. I was only about 12-13 when I played GW1 and had never really played an MMORPG before (the whole concept of expansion packs in an MMO kinda confused me at the time) so I didn't really know what was going on and hadn't heard about anything being canceled. I really love that Utopia concept art so much, really beautiful stuff.

GW2 felt too... 'Saturday morning cartoon' for me, thematically. GW1 felt more comic book or something—sometimes over-the-top but could take itself seriously. It really wasn't until HoT in GW2 that things felt narratively darker, but even then it suddenly felt weird to be going full-on body horror in a game where you couldn't even imagine how there were beggars when there wasn't even a district in DR that looked moderately poor.

But with BDO vs. CD, I almost feel like it's kind of the opposite for me. I've wished for years that BDO could be narratively more serious and dark, but it's always like—you stop some threat and then you have a Shai screeching about a cat that's lost because she tried to give it a bath and "haha cats hate water!", and then four quests about corn-based recipes or something. The rework has helped some in that regard (the Jordine questline left a LOT to be desired, but I liked the Merchant questline), but overall the universe just still feels like it has this inability to take itself seriously sometimes, similar to GW2 but not as extreme. I think that's a part of why I'm looking forward to CD—they seem to be going for something Witcher/Red Dead Redemption-y with the single-player campaign. But, I've never had the perspective that BDO would be a game I would play intensely for as long as it's out either. I've always known in some part of my mind that, eventually, I'm going to move on to something else.

I think this feels sudden to BDO's western audience because it was released here in 2016, and many of the current players hopped on 2017-2018, but I've been playing it since 2014 over in KR. In the absolute sense of how long BDO's been available to the public vs. how long it'll likely be before CD's release (let's say 2021)—2014-2021 is a pretty long time for a game company to have not released some kind of new game in the same genre. And they've been working on BDO since 2010. How long can we honestly expect them to keep working on one MMORPG without making another one if an entire decade isn't long enough? Two decades? Three? Four?

And they're going to keep putting updates out for BDO anyway, they've said as much. BDO may not be their 'main focus' as a company but I don't think it's going to be entirely neglected and cast aside either, they have enough developers to split their focus between multiple projects.

Ganymede Sicard and Deyric like this.
  16. LesserHellspawn

BDO's regions remind me a lot of the old GW1 areas, only prettier. There's Maguuma-like Kama, also Serendia swamps. Balenos is a lot like Kryta, Valencia reminds me of Elona. The shiverpeaks like area isn't accessible yet and of the Cantha like we only have one port city so far.

17. LithicForm

Yeah, because unlike BDO, BnS has a compelling story and balanced combat that actually rewards skill, in both PvE and PvP. Not to mention the game runs 100x smoother than BDO despite suffering from the usual UE3 problems. And the main reason I switched, BDOs UI updates killed my enjoyment of the game so hard that it felt amazing to go back to a game where they got the UI right the first time and never had a need to change it in over three years. I still login to BDO to manage my AFK fisher and those few minutes I spend in BDO are enough for me to get annoyed at the UI every time.

Phoenixxx75 likes this.
  18. Oren steel

Then i guess you will not be complaining about how heavily p2w BnS is, since you switched knowing it is. that is all i am saying lol

#338 Oren steel, Nov 15, 2019
    LithicForm likes this.
  19. HRose

So, the reason why these days the mmorpg genre is in the shape you all can see is that it FAILED. These days we can see that the most successful are those with a very conservative design, like Destiny and similar structured games, where only the general context is shared and there's nothing "massive" going on.

The genre died because it faced significant technical and design problems, and the industry as a whole eventually embraced the path it always embraced historically: the one of least resistance.

The reason for this is that, as I already said, a mmorpg is the most complex game software you can make. It's the culmination. And for these reasons making a mmorpg costs A LOT. Maximum costs are then matched with maximum risks, exactly because there are plenty of things that can go wrong and make you ambitious project collapse into nothing.

Maximum costs + maximum risks = lots of failures in so many years. Eventually all game companies decided to take the easy, safer road. The easy road was making copies of World of Warcraft, and for many, many years that's all we got. Simply going for that recipe made by others that was proven successful. WoW that itself was rather conservative and very simple in its design. And yet none of those thousands of copies even got half as good as WoW. Because they were just that, pale imitations without insight or competence. They were just greedy attempts at stealing some golden eggs that WoW left unattended, since its hoard was so immense.

The mmorpg industry as a whole fed on WoW's scraps. Like hyenas.

Crimson Desert comes from the same philosophy of trying to copy those paths of least resistance. In this case the lure of a simpler, more directed single-player experience whose recipe appears so much simple. It's a mmorpg that goes to copy the proven recipe, the safe success. The path of least resistance.

That's why it's not a mmorpg, even if it will use the genre to excuse its shortcomings. You don't make mmorpg sequels because mmorpgs exist as if they are gardens, that need to be taken care of, and slowly grow and improve. It's a long journey of hard work and learning. If you instead destroy everything every few years, you end up with nothing, because things take time to grow properly.

We can go all the way back to Tolkien, who also tried to build a world, and still is today the most successful attempt. Tolkien spent all his life building and adjusting his world. He never restarted from scratch every time he decided that he learned a valuable lesson.

The mmorpg "industry" is dead because it failed. We now have a former, consolidated game industry at that "adopts" some mmorpg-light concepts and integrates them into classic games. The carcass of mmorpg has been torn apart and scattered. It is unlikely it will show up whole again. It's done. It's dead.

Back to mmorpgs, we continue to see mmorpg-sequels solely because mmorpgs are still being built as linear games. And the industry still today prefers to copy the conservative recipes. Even BDO, as a clumsy attempt of trying a sandbox, is now being sacrificed to go back to the recipe of tacked on single player linear game. And that's why, being greedy and jealous of what other companies do better, they'll end up loosing what they had, and obtain nothing else either.

Maybe this time PA isn't copying WoW, it's copying The Witcher. The result is just the same. Wait and see.

20. venus212

the guy opened his God vision mode just to keep repeating himself that mmo is dead(for himself).
    Brainwasher is made by their huge ego and it drive them crazy because they look up to the only good in their belief … the first and the oldest generation, their pride of being elder along with their dusty "crown" of nothing. In these old edges eyes all young and new products worth noting to them because they refused to redeem themselves.

Wollbert, Oren steel and HRose like this.