1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Curious About Damage Formula

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by Karna5, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Karna5

Hello. Today as I was peacefully listening to an audiobook and galloping back and forth between towns training instant acceleration on a new horse, somebody attacked me a few times before I even noticed I was being attacked. I survived (barely), but when I checked the damage my horse and I took I was puzzled.

I had no armor at all (training gear) and took about 3600 damage (without my armor I have 3676 hit points, so my survival was that close, probably helped by my fairy automatically chugging a potion for me, too).

My horse had 24479 hit points and 143 armor (whatever that translates to be), but my horse took more than 8000 damage.

Questions:
    a) did my horse absorb some of my damage, or were we both hit as separate targets?

b) why did my horse take so much more damage than me if it has some protection while I didn't?

c) the attacker was red to me. Does that mean the player killed other people before getting to me, or does a hostile blue player get shown as red for a while after attacking?

By the time I put my armor on and bought a bunch of potions to heal (Guardian can't heal without either leeching or potions), the attacker rode off. So I couldn't ask the attacker or find out her name or class.

FYI, I'm not upset about being attacked. I'm just curious how it works :)

2. WhySoSeeryus

WhySoSeeryus Wizard 64 EU

First you have your skill damage (XXXX% * Y) which is altered by certain percent by class to class damage ratios (they published these few-ish patches ago) and then additionally altered by individual skills pvp ratio(exact numbers unknown). also influenced by targets defensive stats obviously. simplified -> DR(damage reduction) reduces pure damage taken and EVASION nullifies damage completely if attacker fails his ACCURACY vs EVASION roll. Then there are special attack modifiers and special attack evasion which allow you to "dodge" special attack modifiers.

basically, numbers u see in skill window are for pve reference only. real pvp values are unknown. on test servers (global labs) where u can see damage numbers u might get the general idea for each skill if you bother to do so.

3. Karna5

Oh, so wearing no armor at all (maybe 24 DP total) in pvp would have roughly the same protection of wearing 291 DP? I didn't know that. Thanks :)

Edit: I just checked. Without my armor I have 21 DP, so that's what I had when she attacked me. I was just riding a horse so obviously had no defensive skills active.

4. WhySoSeeryus

no.
    but your damage taken varies alot depending on your attacker class, skill used and both of your gears.

Karna5 likes this.
  5. Karna5

I'm grateful for your answer, WhySoSeeryus. I presume also, then, that the damage to the horse and the damage to my character are not related at all, perhaps truly separate targets.

6. WhySoSeeryus

not sure about horses damage calculations or do they act as pvp or pve targets tbh.

Karna5 likes this.
  7. jenisiz7

In some tool tips you'll see it mentions mounts taking different damage amounts. You can find it on BSR skills. Bc of this, I assume you're both treated as different targets.

Karna5 likes this.
  8. DheReaper

DheReaper Ranger 62 EU

@Karna5 why not go glab? U see there the dmg u make on scarecrows.

Karna5 likes this.
  9. Karna5

Hi, DheReaper. What's glab? And can scarecrows be configured to represent different classes and DP? I'm not so curious about how much damage I do but was just trying to understand the damage received when we're on mounts without armor :)

I think I understand now, however, that mounts and riders are treated as two different targets and receive damage on different scales.

10. Karna5

Hi, Jenisiz7. What's a BSR skill? Thanks :)

11. DheReaper

DheReaper Ranger 62 EU

Bdo global lab. You can use there option to see the dmg numbers. You have npc who sells almost everything in game just of the purpose of testing. Pen accs, weapons box, boss armors, 100fs, crons, even silver.

Karna5 likes this.
  12. Unranked

Unranked Unranked Striker 64 EU

@Karna5 its hard to compare the two. Different classes have different hidden values and modifiers while with horses what you see is what you get. even if you dont wear anything at all, a leveled character has hidden stats that will help you survive.
    Additionally, what WhySoSeeryus mentioned, damage on horses might not be considered true pvp, therefore the actual and higher damage modifiers might be used rather then the reduced in pvp numbers. I am not sure about this but it can be tested as there are skills that dont have such modifiers so if those skills behave differently in this situation it might be the case.

Karna5 likes this.
  13. jenisiz7

Black Spirit Rage. I checked this morning on a few classes and they say Target now which is weird. Could've sworn it read mount somewhere in the damage on a class but can't recall which one or when. As mentioned though, player stats vs mount are different, and the fact that there are mount stats make me suspect the damage is treated like another target.

Karna5 likes this.
  14. MoonDance17

MoonDance17 Lahn 61 NA

Were you still on your horse when you noticed you had been attacked? If you were knocked off the horse it is possible your attacker was trying to kill your horse not you.

15. Karna5

Hi, MoonDance17. Indeed, being on my horse is what saved us both. I only realized something was wrong because of the high pitched screaming going on near me, and by the time I realized there were a ton of spinning and flashing colors near my character I'd already been attacked at least three times. So I galloped away and made it into Calpheon with the tiniest sliver of health and was safe to get my bearings and figure out what happened.

I'm legally blind (I walk with blind cane), so even though I was watching the screen training my horse, the attack came from a few inches to the left of what I was watching which means it was completely invisible to me. Only the sounds made me look around my screen to see what was happening.

I don't ever consensually pvp anymore because the hardest part in any computer game for me is seeing what's attacking me, and I can't see enough to read text that pops up (or even notice text which pops up), and quick time events are absolutely impossible to me because I don't see the stuff pop up prompting action.

In the 3500 or so hours of BDO I've been attacked by player killers six times (that I know of). One time I was on my awakened sorceress peacefully churning up monsters with the shift-RB attack (whatever that is), and a red player had tried to attack me, but I didn't even see it until I noticed there was a red name getting chopped up by my whirling area attacks. I'd hit him twice before I even noticed he was there, and he ran away *Laughs* I didn't chase. I just hope it was fun for him :)

Usually, though, I get killed before I know what's going on. This time on the horse and the time with the sorceress were the only times I wasn't killed when attacked. That's why I know so little about BDO pvp. I honestly can't do it, but I love the game anyway. It's a wonderful place to be :)

Back when I was younger I was very good at pvp, but that was the late 1990s with Ultima Online *Laughs* (I'm showing my age, no doubt). But I mention it because Ultima Online was the same principle as BDO in that anyone could attack anyone, and the only thing that made it a community was the people in it.

MoonDance17 likes this.
  16. MoonDance17

MoonDance17 Lahn 61 NA

You have just eloquently explained why there should be non pvp servers for people with disabilities. Sadly too many of the bdo player base are far too selfish to see that people have a legitimate right to be able to enjoy this game without forced pvp. I also believe that the game devs are being negligent and uncaring in not providing non pvp servers. I wish you well and hope that you do not encounter these selfish people too often.

Jinoro, Karna5 and jenisiz7 like this.