1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dark Knight, Sorceress or Witch?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by Nyel, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Nyel

Hey there,

I bought BDO for my Xbox One X when it launched but never played it really. I played back during Western PC launch yet not very much.

I really want to give this game another chance on my One X and start as a 99.9% newbie.

First thing first is always choosing a class and I think I brought it down to Dark Knight, Sorceress or Witch. I usually play male characters but those three classes are female-only and are looking the best for me. I already tried to go over class descriptions and skill calculators yet it's quite difficult to get some insights into these classes and that's why I opened this thread.

I'd be very thankful if someone could make a pro / con list for each of those three classes or try to compare them back to back - how do they play? What's their niche? Where do they succeed/fail at? Is any of the classes DoT-based? Etc etc etc.

I hope you can help me! Have a nice day & weekend, folks!

2. LordofEntropy

Really it's going to come down to your personal play-style and what feels right for you. Also what your ultimate goals are in the game and how much you're willing to let those goals dictate what you're going to play.

All three of those classes are good grinders and can do PvE content quite well.

Dark Knight is an easier to play Sorc that's also maybe half as good as a Sorc, I'm sure many will say even giving DK half as good is being generous. If your goal is to run around being a PvPer that's wrecking people one on one, you will not want to be a DK. If you want to have pretty nifty effects on your abilities and then get grabbed/cc'd/litany of other things while you try to stiffen(the worst cc) with your unprotected medium range abilities or 34234 second long animations in melee, DK will work for you. If you think you're more likely to stick with PvE and avoid PvP as much as possible, DK can be a good choice.

Sorcs are great at PvP, but also depend a lot on counters and animation cancelling to really push themselves to the extent of their abilities. If you don't have dexterous fingers and have a tendency to mindlessly smash keys and buttons, Sorc might be a difficult one to reach her potential. A great Sorc is a sight to behold. A great person to watch is Macilus. He's been playing Sorc for years, knows her in and out, and is a joy to watch. I know there are other people out there as well, but he streams a lot, makes some good guides that explains what he does, and is pretty highly regarded in terms of skill.

Witches are highly regarded for their abilities in large scale PvP. If you want to get into PvP guilds that do node wars and all of that, Witch is a good choice. They have substantial AoE damage, heals, and can resurrect fallen friends. A lot of the guilds that are heavily into the large scale stuff have lower requirements for Witches because of what they bring to the table in large scale PvP. That being said a lot of people find the Witch kind of boring to play.

That being said, you're really going to want to try them out and see what "feels" good to you. As much as I bashed on the Dark Knight, she was my first character and my main to this day, and I love playing her. But I'm also not a PvPer and just enjoy doing my quests and kill the mobs I need to, and she just fits my play-style. My "main" alt is a Sorceress, who I also really enjoy playing, but I'm also old and my fingers and reactions aren't what they used to be, so I'm a bad Sorceress. But I'm okay with that because I'm just having fun playing her. And again I don't PvP.

Kanimae, Aiwen, Erroll and 4 others like this.
  3. Nyel

Thank you very much, that was very interesting to read!

What's the main difference of those three classes in how they deal damage? AoE/ST vs Burst/Delayed vs DoT or can't you make that distinction in BDO?

4. Blitzball

You can't go wrong with Witch , especially on Xbox

5. 2Cents

Those are all magic based classes. You will get boned by Pearl Abyss's incompetence in giving Striker/Mystic a massive damage reduction to those classes in PVP. So you can deal with "Spot Taken" and auto lose for no reason other than incompetence.

Meanwhile Zerker, Ninja and some other TOP PVP classes don't have to deal with this because............ PA just isn't very good at game mechanics.

6. Lefteye

Can’t speak for sorc as I haven’t played that class. Dk and witch are both ranged aoe centered. Witch’s animations are slower than dk, but do more damage.

7. Yuusayn

Witch, everyone will want you for your PA, people will be lenient cause they want you for NW and pvp, lower skill cap, face roll your keyboard in big group and get big kills,

Dark knight and sorc are scuffed, more git gud, or reroll when?

Also should just get out while your ahead, bdo is a sink, main a shai instead

8. 2Cents

You will also deal with the fact you have no grab or mobility to avoid being grabbed into combo death.

9. Smileybones

Smileybones Ranger 62 NA

It's not a witch thread without @2Cents crying about hard counters.

Nagasaki, NoisyBoy and Columba like this.
  10. AtomicPotato

AtomicPotato DarkKnight 62 EU

Omegalul

DK - pure trash until basically "hard cap" gear,
    Sorc - almost unkillable if you master it and have decent gear.
    Witch- brain dead, over boosted, 1 button spamming class.

11. WhySoSeeryus

WhySoSeeryus Wizard 63 EU

[​IMG]

12. Nyel

Well I just want to play Witch because of the amazing snapping sound they have. Sounds absurd yet it’s so cool to have that. But then I saw Wizards are snapping too? Should I take Wizard then instead?

I’m so undecided. I think I can rule out Sorceress yet I seem to be unable to choose between Witch/Wizard and Dark Knight...

13. Factorial

Does the One X have trial characters? If yes, make trail characters. Spend at least 2 hours in the battle arena feeling out the play styles of each class.

14. 2Cents

You mean explaining the details so others may make informed choices.

There should never be "hard counters" in an open world PVP game. You are literally saying some people should automatically lose just because they are opposing a specific class?

Lets take it to it's fullest extent though............. To bad Shai EVERYONE is a "Hard Counter" sucks 2 b u lol-E

15. Nyel

So as more of a solo player Switch/Wizard isn’t the best choice and they’re rather a small scale class?

16. Seilla

Go for mystic instead OP. Easy to play, nice sustain, very good in grinding and pvp.

Or when you like to play piano and when you are fast with buttons and also good in memorising things, roll a sorc.

Once you are very good with this char, you will receive more salt than a McDonalds store.

Highest skill ceiling in the game, but also the best 1vs1 class to defend spots. And grinding wise easily top 3 class rn.

17. Nyel

Well Mystic hasn’t been released on Xbox yet. I usually prefer ranged classes though.

18. AtomicPotato

AtomicPotato DarkKnight 62 EU

DK not range class.

19. Blitzball

Even Archer isn't a ranged class. Half of his kit is melee , same for Witch/Wiz. There are no ranged classes in this game , only few ranged ability.

20. Nyel

Yeah that’s what I meant, sorry.