1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dark Rift needs a rework

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by BDOPlayer00000001, Jan 12, 2020.

1. T800

You clearly never played MMO's before, as you would have known that Bosses are not regular mobs, they have Extanded attack ranges and larger hitboxes.

As for your personal taste of how it should be done, make your own MMO and design them how you like. This is a standard Boss mechanics in MMO's.

It's a downscale - or bosses for dummies, so they don't need to learn the mechanics of each Boss attack, and just look at the ground and dodge telegraphs. Back in the days, we never had Telegraphs in MMO's, but it was too hard for some players to learn Boss mechanics, so they began to add telegraphs, and now Telegraphs are everywhere, they even added them to BDO.

As for desync between attacks, after years, you should have noticed by now, all NPC have it. If you run in different direction, you will notice the NPC's have a delayed reaction in to locating your position, it was made deliberately to battle server lag, since it's an Open World game, not instanced.

2. BDOPlayer00000001

Nice assumptions, certainly a proper way to start off a response to someone, stay classy.

I have played MMOs prior to this and I do understand them. It is pretty obvious that larger bosses would have larger attack ranges to match their size. What is not clear is that bosses should have phantom hitboxes that goes far outside their range.

I will take Vindictus as an example of a game that mostly did hitboxes for giant and smaller boxes mostly correct. While not perfect, you knew exactly why you were hit and it was pretty clear for the most part that you were hit by the boss. In real action games like Vindictus and Black Desert this is very important.

Also, telling me to make my own MMO and design it how I like is awful feedback. You can literally apply that sentence to anything.

I'm giving my feedback on this for a game that I play. Whether they see it or not is whatever. They're not obligated to do anything we suggest, doesn't mean that folks won't say what they have to say.

3. T800

I think it is pretty obvious why attacks and hitboxes are Larger for Bosses - because Bosses can not react to the speed of attacks and movement of the characters in the game, because it's an Open World MMO, and not an Instanced one like Vindictus.

4. AZzalor

AZzalor EU

i saved up a few of the griffon/puturum chests and opened 6 at once...6 time cronstones feels bad. I am ok with cronstones in the other 2 chests, but griffon and puturum already spawn so rarely (i get one in like 2-3 weeks), so getting cronstones out of those chests just feels like a scam.

Back to the maintopic, i have to say that i never felt like hitboxes were wrong or i would get hit by a skill that looked like it didn't hit. I play on high settings in pve, so i usually see all effects and can dodge quickly enough. The only thing i'm annoyed by is that some attacks will just ignore sa/fg and cc you anyways.

5. woots

If you are entilted to think so, whatever. But you are definitely wrong i answered that question ( so game like Fury proove enough its clearly not a downscale ;)
    The issue come from the "how the whole fight design is managed"

Considering how they manage many things, and not only RNG ( even if agree for that ) its more like a fact the "what to not do"

Unless their goal was to provide a dumb fight experience with 0 challenge, and in that case that's a success

6. Ashenvall

It's class dependant : griffin, gehaku and giath are the worst boss for sorc.
    Some class will have an easy time with these bosses I guess

7. MrHilarious

MrHilarious Ranger 61 EU

I agree that BDO has the dumbest bosses i ever experience from a game. The really bad thing is that they rely on the smash play or which this is ever called ^^. There are plenty of other interesting features which can be implemented very easily like poisen, debuff, fire, freeze and skills which block exactly such stuns. Don`t know why they decided to be so primitive and count on this playstyle on every boss. It doesn`t come along with the other innovativ stuff.

8. Kauni

Kauni Archer 63 EU

Dark Rift is not a PvE content to provide any challenge. It's a catch up mechanic for lower geared players to generate easy silver. I didn't do ancient puturm for months just because it's not worth my time to go there.
    Besides that BDO never had challenging PvE content and probably never will. I don't why someone would expect it.

9. Luminosity

Luminosity Valkyrie 62

Other games manage hitboxes far better. I remember in Tera being able to dodge attacks physically by millimeters and not get hit. Here the boss would be 3meters from shoulder to shoulder, but his bodyslam hits you 5meters left and right from his actual body with no indication of the hitbox. If you need to indicate hitboxes with red circles on the gorund to make it clear you made something wrong to begin with.

10. Khondo

My god people, what's wrong with you? We have good content that caters for people who want a hard battle, down to letting them be a push over after 5 days and still give great rewards.

How picky you people are amazes me.

11. Luminosity

Luminosity Valkyrie 62

Hard battle and being cc'ed through established mechanics(FG, SA) without any visual indication as to how far reaching attacks are are two different things. It is not hard, it is simply annoying as **** when the boss spams dogshit aoe cc's that ignore FG and SA.

12. Arvalo

Arvalo Galavant Lahn 62 NA

I can barely recall the last time one of these bosses killed me. Maybe it’s cause I’m a Lahn?

I think we shouldn’t let the dark rift “issues” be confused with that of general bdo boss mechanic issues.

the Dark rift itself is in fairness great, and it’s implementation compared to that of the old boss scroll system is a seriously marked improvement.

Yes, the bosses have an occasional tendency to land a janky hit that results in cc. I’d recommend for the players of classes who have lower mobility, that you learn to bank on forward guard to eat those sorts of attacks (if you indeed read the tell for it)

I’ll admit however. I don’t know if they have recognizable tells... I just slide behind the bosses continuously generally removing the need to block or read actions beyond just what direction they’re facing.

13. Corsix

dark rift not fun? you mean you dont like getting cc/knocked down 1000 times per fight?

14. Kurano

Kurano Kurano Berserker 63 NA

Yeah they are pretty blehh... I just find overly used CC spam that ignores SA to be lazy.

Its whatever tho.

15. T800

So your idea of Challenging content is hiding behind protections and knowing exactly where attacks land so you can dodge them, than petting your self on the back for clearing it?

There is something fundamentally wrong with your way of thoughts here.

16. Grizabella

I mean, if they paint the hitbox on the ground, it should be accurate. I have just started jumping, teleporting, or sprinting past the border by a bit.

17. magret

how is using skills mechanics less a prowess than gearing up enough for face tanking?

18. Ansilo

Sure some of the bosses are annoying but... it's a couple mins of fighting for a box that gives decent loot. I'm not complaining about that.

19. Capitaine Courage

Which is, guess what, a fundamental in action games since their beginnnings !
    Learning patterns, ways to counter them,and all that ...

[​IMG]

Somebody never played an arcade game or a Souls here ....

20. Fearless V

Fearless V Lahn 61 NA

The logic of some people are just funny. I wouldn't have touch that post with a 10 foot pole. My guess is to that person RNG = Skill. LUL