1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dark Rift needs a rework

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by BDOPlayer00000001, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Schinrah

I mean it wouldn't be half as bad if PvE bosses would at least respect protected skills, but short of iframing an attack they simply ignore your SA's and FG's in most cases. Giath is a prime example, basically all of his attacks give **** all about wether or not you are in a guard or SA.

I'm at the point where I only do rifts once all 12 are open, so that means usually most are already downgraded to lvl I strength and my gear is more than enough aswell, yet I still find myself cursing all the time when I get knocked around while using protected skills.

Fateneko, magret, Ventesa and 3 others like this.
  2. T800

I am surprised for someone that played for 3 years not even know the basics of BDO gameplay.

Gear is not something they can do much about when creating content that is designed to involve every player in the game regardless of their gear strength.
    I mean they did added levels to bosses in an effort to cater to more geared players, but unless you can find some clever way to do it, i don't see how bringing gear in to this discussion is relevant.

Are you one of those that hides behind gear and call it being Skilled? I remember that famous Mystic that got later banned for cheating, was also saying how he was Skilled, until he took off gear to match his opponent, and got owned over and over again.

#42 T800, Jan 13, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2020
  3. Luminosity

Luminosity Valkyrie 62

Riftbosses literally can not kill me. There is no challenge it is just straight up garbage. Comparing it with TERA you never even needed any circle indicators to begin with, since physically not being "touched" by the bosses laserbeam, firebreath or bodyslam would mean you do not get damage. In BDO it is simply random.
    Also I guess blocking, parrying and dodging enemy attacks in dark souls, sekiro and co is easy then too?
    Make the boss do 50 times more damage(so it can actually break a frontguard or kill you through sa), but stop making it ignore your mechanics. Also stop making the boss swing his axe 1m in front of him with a 18 meter 270 degree cone aoe. How would you even begin to dodge any of that? On top of that animations are just too unclear visually. It is just not a fun experience. In AoB level 10, you just get insta killed through FG, if you actually try the real boss and do not go for kutum. They just did not make BDO for challenging PvE content.
    Just looking at the world bosses, even with indicators and visual input. It simply does not match reality. Red Circle gone, effects gone, you go in 1 sec later and still get hit 5 times. It is simply frustrating.

magret likes this.
  4. magret

what annoys me most is how those multi-tons Bigass mobs can turn around 180° and cast in a nano second while you can't even cast your fastest attack had you managed go behind them.
    Even my ex sister in law wouldnt be able to do that and she is short of a few tons.

sorry i cooked my way to full tet and i can kill those bosses, did I miss something?

in interesting boss combats (in other games) usually there are boss mechanics that let you bypass gear need and/or being geared let you bypass the need for mechanics sometimes you even need both or build up different strategies depending on your skill set/gear.

Obviously PA said, "hey no need for mechanics, let just do some HP sponges spamming CC so it looks painf... challenging".

5. Fearless V

Fearless V Ranger 61 NA

I'm one of those that only MEME in BDO everyone once in a blue moon. I'm one of those that focus their time and efforts playing MMOs where a 2 month mechanical genus will win every fight against a 4 year mechanical scrublord vet that spent $1,000,000 USDs to convert crowns or gems to gold to buy gear.

I'm one of those who don't see the point in BDO's RNG/Gear based PvP and PvE. I'm one of those who watch many guilds that they was apart of die off for the same reason. I'm one of those that plays PvP in skill based eSports and sort. I'm one of those that treats BDO as a MEME MMO.

I am one of those actual competitive PvPers. That believe that skill should always overcome gear. And focus their time on MMOs and games of that sort. BDO is one of the Biggest MMO MEMEs of the age in their eyes and many others.

That is who I am. Get it right!

6. T800

What challenge would this Boss present to you. if you could hide behind your FG and SA skills?
    It's not like they can match players mechanics and perform 6-10 skill combos once they CC you. They are NPC's not players.

Well they are after your money, so they just lure you with pretty costumes and animation skills.
    Having somewhat unpredictable attacks and mechanics, creates at least some Challenger, instead of whack-a-mole your way behind your protections.
    Adding more damage, would be just as boring after awhile. New sophisticated Combat Mechanics is what they need, but i haven't seen anything like it so far. We might see something different in O'dylitta in few month, who knows?

7. Silowyi

Silowyi Wizard NA

That's exactly what I do. I wait until all are open. The RNG will give you a couple of mils no matter what so I don't bother rushing.

8. Fearless V

Fearless V Ranger 61 NA

You mean 4 to 8 cron stones. LUL

Silowyi likes this.
  9. T800

BDO is probably not that kind of game where you would have Devs spending months working on a Boss mechanics to make them complicated, and challenging.
    It's more about developing( or dressing up and gearing to be more precise ) your character - type of game. It is centered around your character and it's journey across the world with it's trusted Cash Shop companion to aid you at every corner.

PvE was never challenging in this game, only gear gated - and i think that's the way they wanted it.

Fearless V likes this.
  10. magret

that's not unpredictable, you realise that puturum raised its wings half a second before and you're still not behind him you can predict with accuracy that you are gonna spend the next 10 seconds your ass on the ground.

also, the hit boxes are so weird in this game that you spend half of your time inside the boss, not knowing if your skills triggered because you can't see your character's moves.

Ventesa likes this.
  11. Schinrah

It's not a challenge either way, it's just an annoyance with utterly boring mobs. Depending on your class you don't even have much options to evade many of those attacks. It's bad design period.

magret and ODB3698 like this.
  12. magret

if there is a design at all.
    They probably just took the old bosses that were calibrated for solo and parties back in the days, added a multiplier to their HP, size (hit box/range) and speed, and tested that they lasted long enough with the last OP flavor of the month class to justify giving away accessory boxes.

I doubt they gave a crap about the actual playability/enjoyability of any class VS rift bosses further than that. No death penalty and don't despawn... here, all wrapped, they can't complain

13. Distaken

Distaken Warrior 62 NA

people probably want a reason for savage rift not to be empty and pointless, they also probably want money more than they care about bad bosses. For me the only boss that I absolutely dread fighting is griffon. Impossible to get behind him back attacks and hell CC you out of protection if you're in front of him. The bosses hitting you from super far away, while youre behind them, and them CCing you out of protection I think are really the largest issue with them but its money at least unless you get crons

14. T800

With out the telegraphs on the ground you will not be able to predict whether the attack will hit you or not when facing the Boss, that's what's called unpredictable. Getting behind the boss when you see the attack is coming, is obvious move.

It's clearly sounds like a challenge for you.

15. MsLilith

Only part of rifts needing a fix is the loot boxes having junk removed and making the stuns less freq .

and maybe a bonus box for doing all 12 every week that rewards atleast a Duo/tri 100% with chance at tet

16. magret

what are you talking about? they have different animation for different attacks, at normal speed it's doable if you're fast, there are attacks where they stun themselves for 1 full combo lenght (when griffon makes his little jump backward he makes his sound attack, and gets dizzy, muskan and red nose jump and stay stun on the ground and puturum attacks in a cone in front etc...), but as it's roughly speeden up for rift with bigger ranges or further to go behind, you can't react fast enough and you dont have time to land a full combo, before next CC from the boss.
    also the solo part doesnt help to be behind at the right time

17. T800

Read the post that i was quoting originally than you will understand, that you are talking about totally different things.
    As for not able to dodge Bosses attacks, that sounds like a challenge for you to overcome.

18. Leyren

The only thing that annoys me on rift bosses is how for many of them, their animation does not match up with the actual hits. Best example being the pounce of the griffon, you literally have to iframe after he finished his pounce, because the knockdown comes easily half a second too late. Then again, this is consistent throughout many enemies in BDO, making the PvE fighting a frustrating experience at times.

Fearless V and magret like this.
  19. magret

seems to me that it was your problem. they only telegraph for their biggest attack, and i have no issue with the size of it unless i'm too late to leave the zone.
    anyhow, when face tanking is the fastest strategy to cut down a tedious fighting time filled with awkward animations, awkward animations timing, off hit boxes and butchered skill mechanics, yes OP is right, it needs a revamp. It being challenging or not is not even to be taken into consideration before answering.

T800 and Fearless V like this.
  20. zhagsten

Dark Rift bosses are sloppy work, as always, and they won't come back to fix them.

You don't have a choice, you have to learn every bad design for each boss. Yes, Dim Tree starts its attack animation in one direction, then suddenly snaps to hit in your direction. Yes, Griffin actual hits are done half to a full second after the animation, and his flying wind gust doesn't actuall hit on the red cone area displayed on the ground. Yes, Ronin's charge will go through you and trigger an attack that may hit you in the back even if you're in blocking stance. Yes, the Tower's lasers sometimes disappear one second and then reappear. Yes, a lot of them have attacks that CC through blocks, while others don't. Yes, they also CC you again right before you can get out of the previous CC. Etc.

The bosses each change the rules, give incorrect information, etc. You have to learn them all and it's not fun. It won't be corrected, devs don't know what makes a meaningful boss fight like in Dark Souls or Monster Hunter, and the game engine is certainly a huge mess to deal with. Good luck.

That's why I love my Mystic for Dark Rift bosses: depending on which boss, I use ↓ block, ←/→ + RMB, or Shift + ←/→. And then I hit. Depending on the boss, I know I can place a full RMB combo, Shift + RMB to recover HP, or ↓ + RMB when I have a long window, and short attacks like ↓ + LMB, F to recover HP when I don't have much time and mustn't lock myself in an animation. I don't need a lot of DP with that class. But yes, it's still annoying.

I generally wait a couple days to make them go down in level because that make them land less CC, allowing mistake or bs to happen without as much consequence.