1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Departure Escalation

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by Noixi, May 25, 2018.

1. Noixi

I'm curious on how people departing BDO affects game play for others.

Does it have an incremental affect, or cascading affect to other players?

To explain...

From my experience with WoW, which was a horribly BORING game especially up till I left, just when the LEG expansion came out, I can say that the BALANCE MONGERING of WoW basically got people only willing to play WoW for the reasons:

(1) Their friends, fellow guilders/raiders, were still in WoW.
    (2) There wasn't a better place to go.
    (3) While all aspects of the game were BALANCE MONGERED, it strangely lead to a SKEWED PvP system, where Horde would most always win some things, and Aliiance others, But people could get some fun, with a good chance of winning, by cherry picking which BG's they went in to.

As time passed, especially the year leading up to LEG, where there was no new content, the departure of people from WoW, had a slow, incremental affect on others. There were fewer friends and guilders playing fewer hours, and fewer times, which affected raiding and PvP.

Now, BDO I'm very glad to say is NOT BALANCE MONGERED. Many don't like this, they see some classes being OP over others, some guilds being OP versus others, some players with better gear and more renown being more OP than others; but for the moment, progression is not BALANCED in BDO, by a long shot.

But BDO, has issues. The lag and DC's, the patches in the past few weeks making us the guinea pigs for testing their stuff, the RNG factors, and then some, are motivating people to leave BDO.

So, I'm curious, how does a mass departure of players from BDO affects others?
    Well, I am seeing some affects immediately in the past two weeks.

- First, there are fewer guilds participating in NWs. Especially on Monday/Tuesday nights.
    - - For months, the Mondays/Tuesdays were the prime nights for Tier 2 NWs. It was a struggle.
    - - The last few weeks, I've seen more dead drops, and fewer guilds.

- Stuff is not selling as well in the AH.
    - - I'm not seeing even eggs INSTANT pre-order selling. And that was just yesterday, for the 1st time ever.
    - - Palm and Elder Tree lumber used to sell easily (go figure). But since last weeks patch, I've had to actually reclaim the lumber a couple of times.

- Fewer people fishing.
    - - Even when they made that water hole spot for fishing, people would still fish in places like Heidal and Tariff, a lot, as they were great stopping points, before going AFK for the night. Especially Tariff, where every day I would usually see a couple dozen fo AFK fishing for the night.
    - - Now I see maybe 2 others AFK fish for the night in Tariff, and it has been like this for the past 2 weeks.

Well, those are things I noticed.

At any rate, I'll keep an eye out for more things, but I get a sense that departures from BDO, cause a cascading affect, rather than a incremental affect.
    • Please share your thoughts?
    • Is BDO departures causing a cascading or incremental affect?
    • And how so?
    • Or maybe you don't think anything is really changing?

2. Smilence

It’s the market....I can see less stuff being listed recently....so at the end, we have to get everything by ourselves. No more grinding and buy everything.

3. SAMURAIJ4CK

It comes down to spending another $500 to reroll after changes. Then the thought of another possible class/balance remake in the future, and how badly they handle their testing is the deal breaker for many of us.

So personally, players quitting affects me mainly in two ways.

1. Several long time friends left and some leaving.

2. Forget the money, the time spent on classes forever changed thru direct class tweaks and combat mechanics changes is the second. At this point is where I ask myself is it worth continuing?

#3 SAMURAIJ4CK, May 25, 2018
    Last edited: May 25, 2018
  4. ambyentlight

Usually when people mass quit a mmo more will follow exspecially if famous streamers leave leaveing bdo a partly dead mmo well that is ivecourse if a large sum of people were to quit which is unlikely.

Chaos Ronin likes this.
  5. Columba

My ranks haven't changed. I still sell everything and I still get what I need. Not that measurable for me.

6. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Hack_Saw NA

I have left because I feel like PA's promise was broken. 30 days was already a huge stretch because:

a) Good luck balancing a complex PvP system like BDO in that time frame.
    b) A whole month to play a game where everything is constantly shifting is a big ask.
    c) The patches we got along the way were devoid of any context to help us understand why they were altering the things they were. This lead to confusion and a sense of dread that "My class might be next".

It would depend on what's causing it. If there is a single decision made that only affects a small population, then I would say no. For example, nerfing a certain off-meta build into the grave. This doesn't affect a whole lot of people and most won't even notice. But the players that are affected may leave.

Sweeping changes, prolonged issues, controversial decisions, broken promises, company direction, and poor communication can affect all of us. In this particular instance, all of the above are currently in progress. There are many reasons people are deciding to leave right now, ranging from a specific change to PA's poor navigation through the turmoil. This is where the knock-on effect starts.

Player A leaves for Reason X.
    Player B who is on the fence about Reason Y might be more tempted to leave.
    Players that are bandwagoners will hop on if their is enough momentum.
    Players that had friends in the above categories may follow suit if they want to play with them.
    News may start to spread about the issue, and it may deter newer players from joining.
    Then, players that weren't swayed by the issues themselves may start leaving because of the downward trending population.

This is all just an example, not a prediction. It could happen to BDO if enough people start leaving, but I doubt there will be "game killing" impact. BDO is a hard niche to fill, and many of the players might return after the storm has settled.

Decidedly not so. These changes alter the fundamental gameplay loop in almost all aspects that involve controlling your character, movement in particular being the most widespread. Some better questions to ask are "Are these changes a net positive?", or "How many players view these changes as not a big deal?".

To be honest, it's hard to gauge the overall sentiment towards the state of affairs. There are a lot of players that will continue to play unabated, some even love the changes, but it's pretty clear that there is a significant portion of the player base that has dropped BDO for the time being (or for the next Blessed thing (sorry, I couldn't resist)). We'll have to wait and see what comes about from this mess.

Irijia, choovanski, crawlord and 4 others like this.
  7. elgen

It's both a butterfly effect and a vacuum. The majority won't notice the first till it's to late because of the latter. For example is every top tier siege guild in the game stop playing it simply would not matter short term. It would simply encourage newer player to push to fill those spots. The problem is new players are not a infinite renewable resource. A high turn over rate will kill any game it's just a matter of time.

crawlord likes this.
  8. FadedSky

Just another "massquit" like mutiple times before :)

Game is going through rough changes so majority of those who quit are now just lifeskillers waiting to things settle down, the rest of them holding their last hopes for bless online

I still see lot of people in towns , grinding, nodewars... even steamcharts doesnt show big inpact to playerbase.

Mgp, Ravare and Mistermoff like this.
  9. elgen

https://i.redd.it/3ho4l1jlva0z.png

Jedrikk and crawlord like this.
  10. WastedJoker

WastedJoker Striker 61 EU

Guild chat and NW attendance has dropped right off.
    Discord used to show everyone playing BDO but now there's all kinds of games being played.
    AFK fishing areas in towns is noticably less populated.

I think most people are afk'ing it until this storm of changes is over (some are hoping they are completely reverted) so I suspect actual logged in numbers have dropped a bit but actual active players has dropped sharply.

I'm seeing far fewer people out and about in the world. Gahaz and Nagas are normally great places for pvp but there's been hardly any for the last 2 weekends, IME.

Grehm likes this.
  11. Vladja

Vladja Venus Ranger 55 EU

Remember "Ashran" in WoW? Biggest cancer I've ever seen in a game, it's even worse than BDO xD

12. Julia_Sabina

Well, my guild has gone from 100+ waiting list to 75 in two weeks. Half the remainder in our Discord are planning to either ditch BDO completely or afk while they try out Bless, starting next week....

I logged in this morning just to get my Lahn through the tutorial. Switched to my Valk for the first time in 2 weeks. Sagged at the thought of all the Relics and Pilas I'd have to do to fix her Dande's durability so just went and bought a new TET Lancia from the 4-5 sitting unwanted on the MP.

13. Mok Swagger

I'm mostly reiterating what others have stated on this thread, but right now BDO is in a rough place right now, in between some unpopular patches that nerfed everyone and the release of a hyped MMO. If I had to guess I imagine that a lot of people are waiting to see the result of the combat overhaul and how well Bless releases.

For me personally, I don't want to commit to enhancing or acquiring any gear because I have no idea if it will be viable from week to week so I mostly afk lifeskill now with BDO minimized to tray along with most of my guild. None of us are quitting, but no one is as engaged with the game other than Lahn leveling at the moment either.

Blackhearted likes this.
  14. Gingen

Gingen Guildmarm Sorceress 59 NA

Heidel isn't as laggy as it normally is. I think that's a pretty good indication haha

Blackhearted likes this.
  15. irrelevant

irrelevant Pixelstorm Tamer 62 EU

rofl, then you aren't paying enough attention or you weren't looking before

i see massive drop of people and most of them are still just waiting to see what happens and on standby, it'll get worse and worse for the next few months unless they do a miracle and revert all these patches but at this point it's too late to even do that

16. Woodsy

Last night RBF was dead. The past month all 3 chn were filled with people testing the changes but last night I didn't see vel5 or 6 active at all around reset. Vel4 was under capacity for the few hrs I was there.

Evil Wood and crawlord like this.
  17. Yuusayn

Less people for grind spots, less competition for every item, and less whining in the forums, seems like a win win situtation, soon as they start buffing PvE, since they killing PvP, it'll be great and we can really start to draw in people to fill in the spots for the whiners/quitters, plus they all going to Bless, which in all reality they'll be back in a month, cause its funny that people think that games gonna be the greatest thing ever lmao

18. BlackDesertFox

Another indicator is general chat on peak hours weekends. Pretty slow compared to 2 months ago.

19. WeaselPaw

WeaselPaw Valkyrie 61 EU

It lost roughly 5K concurrent players between middle of april and now (roughly 25%, in one month !) but, yeah, no big impact at all.
    And you should open your eyes or unminimise the game, towns are emptier each week, most guilds are getting smaller, etc.
    Dunno what game you're "playing".

20. Rovoc

At this point isn't everyone praying for blessed online to be somewhat decent so we don't have to empty our wallets to play? Biggest draw to this game for me was the pvp aspect, which is plagued by terrible netcoding and class imbalances. Never again will i play a game that deals so much in RNG. Most games use RNG as progression, BDO uses RNG as regression to keep players playing. I would argue there is lack of end game content. First MMO i'd played that doesn't have an MMO feel to it. Sure there's territory warfare, however that's it. Most of the leveling is done by yourself. Bosses are done Solo.

Blackhearted and Pkmdz like this.