1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DEV DIARY: Our Vision of Change and Promises to Black Desert Online Adventurers

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by CM Aethon, Apr 21, 2018.

1. CM Aethon

Community Manager

Greetings Adventurers,

This is Jae-hee Kim, the Executive Producer in charge of development for Black Desert Online.

I would like to apologize to all adventurers for the inconvenience and confusion that they have experienced due to the recent Renown Score update, changes to the class balances, and the new upcoming season of Node/Conquest Wars.

It is my mistake and regret for being unable to fully communicate with adventurers before deciding upon such a major change.

With this post, we hope to share the current issues with Black Desert Online, our vision of change, and the result of our discussions over the last updates after going through all of your feedback.

Black Desert Online is a MMORPG that must contain different types of gameplay.

If you have to define Black Desert Online into four keywords, it would have to be MMORPG, combat, life content, and open world gameplay. In retrospect, it is true that we were afraid of making radical changes instead of improving and highlighting upon these 4 key themes.

In the past 3 years, we have introduced 16 characters and added vast new areas like Mediah, Valencia, Kamasylvia, and Drieghan (not yet updated). Even though development resources were poured into gameplay, it is also true, that the improvements and changes could have been better. BDO’s play patterns have become repetitive. We wish to bring out the characteristics of MMOs that excite you to offer better and various gameplay to our adventurers and guilds, we recognise we have fallen short.

We stuck to maintaining the overall frame and starting out with small changes, but in order to get the improvements needed, we thought it was time to give some fundamental changes.

The first action to deal with repetitive problems was the introduction of the Renown Score and a new season of Node/Conquest Wars (Not available for NA/EU yet). I want to apologize again for not coming to the consensus with the community before the change and I hope to share the details of future development directions below.

Balance between classes; the fundamental problems will be fixed.

The PvP pattern of repeating “a single combo” that so many of our players have adhered to, increasing difficulties in performing skills, the balance among classes. We really wanted to fix these known problems that many adventurers have raised.

To give you further details, many adventurers who were killed by the “single combo” performed repetitively lost the fun and interest in combat as this seemed to be the only way to go. With the introduction of Awakening skills and resistant skills for CCs, and as the dependency to this “single combo” increased, performing skills have become increasingly difficult. Without a Grapple skill, it became very difficult to face blocks and Super Armor skills of opponents depending on class types.

We came to the decision that it would no longer be possible to maintain the current structure and make incremental changes to solve this issue; and now we seek to improve the fundamentals.

In short, this week’s balance updates aimed to lessen the gap caused by Grapple, Super Armor, Invincibility, Guard, and dash skills whilst allowing ease in controls and combos to bring about the pure fun in combat.

This decision was carried out with the latest updates but we fell short on satisfying our adventurers and we regret this. Many factors, such as adjustments to certain classes were unable to be implemented with these updates.

Throughout the next 30 days, we will pay extra attention in dealing with class balance. We won’t make abrupt decisions, but during this period, we aim to bring changes that will be more acceptable to all. We will also be making an additional global communication channel so that we can be more receptive to the various feedback from all users.

“Progression”, the key element of fun for MMORPGs, will be made better

Progression is key in MMORPGs and the fun factor that excites the crowd. However, it is also a reality that it takes our adventurers anywhere from a few months to over a year to increase just +1 or +2 AP.

With the “Caphras Enhancement” (to come for NA/EU) introduced in South Korea last week, the drop rate of certain accessories have doubled to help our adventurers grow their beloved characters and we are continuing to look for ways to improve on this. Our goal is to allow our adventurers to reach the so-called “soft cap” in equipment with more ease and interest, through either loot or other methods. We also aim to facilitate the process of obtaining equipment beyond the “soft cap” gears easier than the status quo.

Renown Score was a change to take part in this. We wanted to compensate the adventurers who had overcome the risk of Enhancement and spent millions of Silvers while growing their characters. We also wanted to reduce the instances where adventurers would get killed instantly no matter how good their equipment was due to a slight mistake in PvP. Despite our intentions, the gap in PvP balance has deepened and we sincerely apologize for causing so much concern to our adventurers.

In the following weeks, Damage Reduction boost with the Renown Score will be adjusted downward and damage inflicted will also be decreased. Further changes that will polish class balance will be implemented.

Repetitive Node/Conquests... A new season will aim to reach a higher degree of completion.

Node/Conquest Wars are the end content of combat in Black Desert Online. But with the updates in the last season, the actual number of wars declared was declining and the intensity that formed among the guilds seemed to have been lifted off to some extent. In some countries, we had cases where a single guild had occupied a territory for 33 consecutive weeks. We needed a change.

So while planning for the new season of Node/Conquest, we wanted to create a structure where even smaller-sized guilds can try to take down castles occupied by strong guilds using various offensive weapons, tactics, and strategies so that the fun of this ultimate combat content can be experienced.

We wanted to highlight this intention. But we will aim to solve the fundamental problem of class balance first then polish out the season rules of the new Node/Conquest Wars. We will share the detailed schedule when we have it ready. We will strive to take in all feedback from every region of our adventurers and present the season most suitable and fun.

We will improve our internal process to maintain a stable and secure service and notify major changes in advance.

Black Desert Online, since its grand opening, sought to deliver new content to our adventures as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, with the rushed presentation of the changes and adjustments to the game, some contents lacked in level of completion.

From now on, the development team will perform much more thorough internal testing while also notifying our player base beforehand on large-scale updates or huge changes to the balance structure.

To end, we want to apologize for the disorder and worry we’ve caused with the latest update.

In order to develop a much more enjoyable Black Desert Online, we will keep our ears wide open to feedback from official forums, tickets, in-game chat, as well as external communities.

By way of an apology for the worry that you have experienced over the recent changes that have affected your enjoyment of the game, we wish to offer the following to every adventurer.

Compensation:

6 Buffs applied to all adventurers for 30 days
    • Buff applied: Value Pack, Appearance Change Coupon, Merv’s Palette, Blessing of Kamasylve, Armstrong’s Skill Guide, Cliff’s Skill Add-on Guide
    ※ For adventurers who had these buffs applied already, the relevant buffs will be extended by 30 days.

※ For adventurers who did not have these buffs applied, all the buffs will be applied after 4/21 urgent maintenance. The same buffs will also be extended on the items used by existing adventurers later.

※ For new adventurers who newly join our game, they will be able to enjoy the extra buff until 5/20/2018 11:00 UTC.

We thank you for taking the time to read this long statement.

Thank you.

Usurper, Lhaana, Nenomi and 62 others like this.
  2. Celaiona

More DK outfits when

Rozett, Lefteye, Rhna and 10 others like this.
  3. Rawrior

4. ✪Dark✪

5. dynex7

thank you for the quick response

Lasaroth likes this.
  6. Wyn

Wyn Sorceress 61 NA

Zefiro, Nimja1, Luniticz and 11 others like this.
  7. Dmike

No month long EXP event either?

Zefiro, Nimja1, LadyAki and 3 others like this.
  8. Asterotis

I love your tiny shiba.

Lasaroth likes this.
  9. Bert1672

Thanks for the communication and acknowledgement of the situation, we appreciate it.

Oliver Randuims and Parc like this.
  10. Asami

Finally compensation that is worth.

Sylo78 likes this.
  11. House_Ghost

I understand it all now, but I would appreciate if you thought about us ninja's. The only thing keeping us relevant is the cc we could do and the grab's. And we dont really have aoe stuff that us protected that will let us pvp in large groups, so if you take away out 1v1 stuff like our grabs and cc's then we cant even at least do the small skirmishes. Please dont forget about us :[

I would also like to add, please come back and skim these comments. Listen to the players. We comment to give you input not to joke around always lol

#11 House_Ghost, Apr 21, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    FacyPants, Nimja1, Wet Cake and 4 others like this.
  12. Netreiam

Massive support for these guys.

I am skeptical of the changes they gave and plan to give, but the fact they intend to keep trying has me hoping for better.

That said, please pay attention to why there was such massive outcry:

1. There was no warning given that these changes were happening.
    2. There was an increase in the gear gap that nobody thought was necessary (even if they didn't mind it, nobody was actively pushing for a bigger gap to my knowledge
    3. There were no class specific changes when there is a clear divide in how effective classes are.

and finally

4. The many countless suggestions from players about every possible topic within balancing seemed to be ignored. The complaints such as "too much CC", "instant death", "huge advantage for grab classes" were picked up on, and that by itself is a great start, but please consider what the subject matter experts on the classes systems within your game say and provide some kind of direct correlation between the complaints made and the changes given.

ODB3698, Wet Cake, Thelemna and 14 others like this.
  13. AsyaTheBoatKing

I like the change ...basically i like everything they are doing cause that means they work and i like when other people work for me :).

KrimsonSky likes this.
  14. Rekch

Rekch Krid DarkKnight 61 EU

Caphras Enhancement when?

ODB3698, Kyouki and deniros like this.
  15. murakumo33

might i suggest turning the arsha servver into the future new major changes testing server? where you can test these kind of content in a less dangerous manner. this also lets you get feedback and testing to where you are investing your money for this game. arsha is barely used by the players because you can pretty much pvp on any server. why not turn arsha server in to testing server and use that to see how things like the cc system can be improved safely

16. CallingDaPolice

How I feel as a BDO player reading this:

Kaijoichi, Kyouki, Nimz and 3 others like this.
  17. Reave711

"In short, this week’s balance updates aimed to lessen the gap caused by Grapple, Super Armor, Invincibility, Guard, and dash skills whilst allowing ease in controls and combos to bring about the pure fun in combat."

glad to get confirmation they don't play their game

Wet Cake, Thelemna, residente and 5 others like this.
  18. LunaValentyn

I hate to be negative but the Korean Devs feel incredibly out of touch with the player base especially after this patch. They keep promising balance but it never seems to come. Massive streamers have quit/taken breaks over that topic. I am just not sure that they can right all the wrongs at this point in time. I feel like every single time I've been hopeful, it's been stomped out. I have a very low expectation for what is to come and I honestly question whether they are actually capable of balancing classes because they are so terrible at taking criticism. Until they play more on a serious level or start listening better to the community, how can anything improve? this whole previous patch just goes to show how incredibly out of touch they are with the players. I just don't have much hope right now and it's genuinely upsetting. They need to seriously get better at communicating with the player base. This isn't addressed towards Daum(our provider in the west), this is all about Pearl Abyss(the actual devs). Daum has taken the time to reply to us, to reassure us, and to try to keep the peace and I genuinely appreciate that. Pearl Abyss on the other hand seems completely out of touch and they create more problems than solutions. Honestly I feel sorry for Daum because of how much they have to deal with as a result of PA. I mean, not TOO sorry because the prices are still ridiculous but I do appreciate the time they put in to being there for us as a community. Like, I like Daum, they seem like good people for the most part though.

Idk man, I'm just not going to hold my breath. I love my class, I love the combat, but I do not love Pearl Abyss and they are going to have to really put in some time and work to show us they actually mean it this time when they say they are going to change because frankly I don't trust them after all the other times.

19. OptimusPrime

WRONG

BDO into four keywords: Mages, Strikers, Mystics, and Gear Carried

mr. kim, i forgive you since you don't play the game. may God bless you.

speaking of bless, when is BLESS out?

#19 OptimusPrime, Apr 21, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    Thelemna, KrimsonSky and Redwolf like this.
  20. LunaValentyn

don't you think he SHOULD play the game or listen to people that do so he wouldn't make massive mistakes like this in the first place though? I mean you list things you have problems with then you praise the man who gave us those problems...