1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DEV DIARY: Our Vision of Change and Promises to Black Desert Online Adventurers

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by CM Aethon, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Yazuko

Can i also get a dande box pls ? Its My birthday Today :( :)

2. Alicia Dominica

For the KR version, that is certainly true. However, the irony is that this doesn't even work the same way for our EU/NA version as we do not get nearly as much "p2w" benefits from the pearl store as they do. So when copying the renown system over to EU/NA, the players coming out on top are not the ones you are referring to as "whales", but the ones who can spend the most time on the game. They get their pearl stuff through gifting abuse, not through paying for it themselves. So ultimately, the people who actually continue to pay for the game are the ones being screwed over by the renown system, namely new players, casuals/life-skillers and people with jobs hovering around or somewhere below the soft cap. They all just got majorly screwed.

It would really do them good to think about what kind of paying customers they have in EU/NA compared to KR...

ODB3698, Lorenian and Never like this.
  3. OptimusPrime

Google translate can't translate big walls of texts. I broke them up in paragraphs for you so if someone decides to translate this into korean to our good friend mr. kim over at PA they can just do it bit sizes at a time.

4. Oni-ni-Kanabo

Well what i understand of all that bollox is.....a player with full tet gear and tri acc.....will gonna spend a 2 min fight against a player 58lvl with full tri grunil/heve etc. for a spot.......Also when someone ask for a duel for a spot in Pila Ku(for example) and you accept it....pretty much will looks like a zerk vs mystic full dp fight...a week latter ....still no winner.What they will achieve in the end of the day is....BDO will become an just another mmo.....and will gonna lose the charm which posses.Instead to address the resources fixing a issues which persist since day one like dsync you start remap an system which v been proved over the years...... New players moaning get one shoted.....well that is how supposed to be....iv been 1 shoted as well when i had a grunil....but did i moan.... no i sucked up and continue till get a gear to dont be.Get killed form highest geared player...call your guild...thats why guild is isnt?

5. Zeuph

I appreciate the response from the developers. It means they're at least trying.

What I want to say to them is, don't be in a rush. The game will eventually come to a better place. It takes long time and because the existing content have been neglected for such a long time, this wake-up call, which I hope it is, is very needed. We all strive towards our goals one step at a time, one day at a time. Don't be in a rush, make the routine of balancing new and existing mechanics a daily effort by the developers. The creativity is there, use it to solve the existing issues rather than working on new expansions and classes.

The state of the game around Mediah release was superb. The different mechanics and general content in the game was concentrated but very rewarding. What have happened since is that you've clearly "taped" over some of the previous mechanics of the game to let new mechanics to be introduced. This way creates a heap of content that is unsatisfactory, unnecessary and out of tune with the game. One example would be the way to make ultimate weapons and armor nowadays. Previously, it was a hassle and was made through workshops. It took hours and you had to do it with materials and workers. This made the process to have a bigger deal to the player and felt much more rewarding once you obtained the item you sought after. The problem, in my opinion, was that this mechanic was not further implemented properly, it was overshadowed and "removed" by introducing easier methods. The problem isn't the easier methods, the problem is that it feels out of touch with the game to simply buy an item and press a button - why is it even a mechanic anymore? Why is it even considered necessary for the game? Black desert is filled with similar "taped" or brushed over mechanics and instead of refining them, a new mechanic is introduced which makes the process as a whole very tedious. The point is not to "fix" this one mechanic, some may argue it's in a fine position as it is now(my opinion is far from important). The point is that the general change with mechanics similar to this is kept but has no other effect than to be tedious.

What I want the developers to do is to take in the game as a whole, study it and understand the reason of implementation in the first place. Then decide whether this reason still persist to be relevant and necessary to the game. This is not only for combat and class balance, this is for the whole game. Who feels going for a swim to be a pleasant experience? Who feels doing 2 year old scrolls to obtain memory fragments to be rewarding? Who feels rewarded by the game reaching master or guru in life skills? To which playerbase are these mechanics, or lack thereof, directed to? Who is supposed to enjoy these to the extent that it heightens the enjoyment with the game?

These are the questions I want the developers to ask themselves when they look upon the existing mechanics. There are so many unnecessary and sometimes tedious experiences in this game that I, and I think many others, have seriously considered quitting. It's just too overwhelming.

This doesn't even touch the mechanics that could make this game so much better. Where's the actual co-op content(with consideration to the amazing combat system)? Where's the actual pvp content like arena with MMR?

I appreciate the response from the devs, but I expect more effort to be put in and I expect some of the existing mechanics to be refined or re-implemented to suit the reason of its implementation.

Lorenian likes this.
  6. Nebz

pearl abyss:
    you guys **** up alot, but at least you put out updates faster than any game I played, thats appriciated too.
    changes that are good to the game even though they hurt Artisan Memory sales like Caphras Energy are appriciated even more :]

thanks

7. one of two

Nerf mystic its too op for DK to face

8. ZeroDreamstyc

You make me cringe so hard, no wonder DK discord is trash. Bunch of DKs who only care about outfits and photo whoring instead of the actual gameplay of the class.

On the other hand, really nice, I'm glad seeing this dev diary.

Lorenian likes this.
  9. Feroth

cap the ap to max 260 , dont give bonus ap to any renown score only dr , fix the cc and maybe the problems are solved

10. Jiino

Not sure if seriously never held S before.

Attached Files:

• fry.PNG
      fry.PNG
      File size:
      187.6 KB
      Views:
    Lorenian likes this.
  11. residente

Lul don't mind him, it's just your average Mystic player in action.

12. OptimusPrime

Yea this is actually a good point. I get that you need to grind for relics and scrolls. I'm okay with that. But actually fighting the bosses, for the 102938th time, is stupid.

Like, just hand the seals over. No one likes you, Manshaum-Ronaros-Forest King POS boss that I summoned for the 900th time. Just roll over and die. It's not like you have anything important to drop anyways. So I can speed this process up and summon the rest of the 30 scrolls I have in inventory. I ain't got all day 1 shotting shitty bosses for crap loot. Shitty kama boss living in a shitty forest, go back to your furry blue and mushroom buddies. Woo look at this they drop a guardian stone. Let me just click on it, and drop it from my inventory. POS place we're only here for the gyfins. Might as well save some memory space, delete the whole area and just add a straight road from calph to gyfins.

Where was I again? Maybe after 50 summons of the same kind of scrolls for the family, the game just goes "okay, from now on you just right click the scroll and it'll turn into the loot in your inventory".

#92 OptimusPrime, Apr 21, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    ODB3698 and ZeroDreamstyc like this.
  13. Daze-toyo

Awesome communication and future plans.
    I'm very excited to see PA succeed in creating the greatest MMO ever made.

14. Massacrul

REVERT CC CHANGES WHEN

15. Xevious

Xevious Shiroyuki Tamer 61 EU

actually imo the renown score itself wasnt the problem. i see the point in buffing high geared players, but we have to consider the gap between players. yes high gear should grant u more, but it shouldnt be supposed to be exponentially. its a buff no matter what and from other mmos its not uncommon to see high gear upgrades be less beneficial. this doesnt mean people didnt enhanced that high. it was a risk and didnt got alot of reward, but its worth it anyways because even a slight boost over your enemy is always worth it. saying that i have to mention that most of these games have a way slower killtime. right now everyone dies instantaneously, due to the high ap in the game. if we start to compare the current killtime with the killtime as it was at release. the old non awakening times we see a big difference. the game got faster, more safe (regarding your own skills) and the killtime gots nullified.

imo the dp buffs were the right approach, but the way u did them was wrong. u buffed high players and created a really large gap between players. getting back longer killtimes isnt a bad thing. i think its a great idea, because longer killtimes highlight skill gameplay. and even small changes in gear give u an advantage in such an environment. people with alot of gear already give lower geared players a hard fight, but depending on the amount of gear difference its going to turn into an unwinnable fight. and thats a problem if u want a skill based game.

right now the renown system works in a way, that benefits really high players and lets every upgrade be a world changer after softcap. but u guys ever considered that they didnt even need buffs up there to enhance anyways? its a goal for most players to enhance for the best, even tho it wouldnt be so much overbuffed. if u want to bring more balance to the game the renown was a good idea, the way of implementation was wrong tho.

lets say for example the renown would have been implemented another way. lets say it buffs your score UP TO soft cap. and not past softcap. that way u could implement a way for newer player to get a fast reward and give them a chance to close up on veterans. they wont beat veterans, because thats how BDO works :'D u cant overcome someone that grinds the same time as u and already is a step ahead. unless u spend more money in artisans, then u can do so xD

but back to topic. the longer killtimes are great. the higher ap boosts were kinda meh, i would say. and the implementation for buffing high gear and dont buff low gear created a large gap. currently there is a major question for me, that i really want to ask PA. what is your game pvp balance supposed to be based on: Gear, Skill or a balance between them? and if its the balance, what would you lean more towards?
    just to show off an example of bdo pvp after the patch: https://clips.twitch.tv/BlindingUninterestedFlyPlanking
    lets go with this ^^

about the cc stuff. well perma stiffen is a bit to much in my opinion. but the changes in having 3 ccs isnt something new, because we had it on arsha server already. and its new. people need to get used to it, but its not that bad. combos have changed. u need to think about what you are doing different now. and for me, that's not a bad thing. it highlights a larger variety of valid combos. because u have to consider if your enemy was stunned already and how many cc counts u have left. i think that's good ^^ but it could be hard for some players to always keep those variables in mind :/

considering pve changes because i didn't mentioned them before. its great keep it up. people get a larger variety of content they can grind and improve upon. considering the drop changes they are awesome too, because getting max gear is really a pain in the butt so far. changing that is a good thing. but as u change grinding, dont forget thinking about life skills. because the income balance may change due to way more money from doing grinding. and not everybody is into grinding that much. some people just acquire soft cap level (61 i would say right now ^^) and just grind low mobs for skill points or do life skills only. keep that in mind, otherwise im completely fine with pve changes. again great work!

and its nice that people start to communicate with the community itself :)
    good work.
    sop thats it for my thoughts, maybe someone else wants to add something or say im wrong? lets hear it guys im intrested in your thoughts ^^
    and if we could get a community manager from PA or kakao to reply i would be intrested too :P

#95 Xevious, Apr 21, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    iller, Amordys and The-TJ like this.
  16. elynia01

the meta-msg I get from this long post :

we will continue to abuse our players to do beta-testing, cuz we (the devs) cant be arsed to to that **** . We been doing it since release, and we will continue doing it , we are just very very sorry that the playerbase over time found out we are screwing them over.
    so calm down, keep complaining , keep buying pearls, we will try to listen, we will try to do changes , .. but thats it ... we will TRY .. but nothing will happen.

have a good day , and dont forget to buy pearls pls.

17. HurbY93

This is the kind of communication thats good for the game, awesome job.

I understand all the other negative comments, but i feel like people should appreciate the steps that are being taken right now, its a step in the right direction. There is a lot of work to be done yes, but this response is a good thing, hating on it is from my point of view unnecessary.

Envywastaken likes this.
  18. JustFiyen

Can you give us Lahn. Can't give our feedback on it if u dont give us the class

19. Tabri

Tabri Paingiver Witch 62 NA

Please just start using test servers like everyone else sigh

McLayne, Envywastaken and Sevyrn like this.
  20. Alavanger

Value pack already has Appearance Change and Merv’s Palette as part of it.

unless these will be stacked as additional buffs/conveniences to be had and used AFTER the Value Pack is gone. I would be cool with this.

I tend to change the color or my clothes at least every other day, and normally more than that to be honest.
    Now if you would add a favorite tab to the Merv's palette so could make sets and swap faster.

Lorenian and Envywastaken like this.