1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you guys use VPN, and if so, which one?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by LeCordonBleu, Jul 31, 2020 at 6:56 PM.

1. LeCordonBleu

I feel like a lot of the BDO streamers are sponsored by exitlag so I'm assuming a lot of the viewers are influenced by those ads and thus use exitlag. However, that's a speculation irrelevant to the purpose of this thread. I was just wondering what other vpns aside from the overly popular exitlag other people use and how their experiences are. I'm looking at NordVPN and ExpressVPN.

Nordvpn is said to be the highest rated VPN in terms of overall service. It also features super low monthly pricing if you sign up for long term agreements. Though the low pricing is due in part to their promotions, they seem to be running promotions all the time as I've seen them running 70% off sale almost every time I've visited their website thus far. Right now, you can get 3 years of Nordvpn for $125.64, which comes out to $3.49 a month. 3.49 a month for the best overall rated vpn on the market seems like a really good deal.

Expressvpn is said to be the fastest VPN due to how their infrastructure is set up in ways to prioritize speed over anything else. However, even with a 12 month agreement, (that gives you 3 free months on top) their pricing is not competitive, coming out to $6.67 a month. This is more expensive than using exitlag's monthly plan with one of the 20% off streamer codes that's readily available.

Though expressvpn is still cheaper than nordvpn when comparing their 12-month plans, the fact that nordvpn has an option for a 3-year plan that brings down the monthly cost tremendously is too good to pass up for those that can afford it.

Aside from the finance talk, can anyone chime in on how the three vpns compare in terms of stability and speed? Are there other vpns you would recommend? If so, why?

If the three aforementioned vpns (exitlag, nord, express) are all as good as each other, I see no reason to use expressvpn and the only reason to use nordvpn would be to take advantage of their 3-year plan with 70% off. Everyone else would be better off using exitlag. Again, this would only be the case if the three vpns are similar in terms of performance.

#1 LeCordonBleu, Jul 31, 2020 at 6:56 PM
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2020 at 7:02 PM
  2. Andaro

Ambassador

Mudfish VPN is a lot cheaper by comparison and has the most servers available worldwide, being KR owned. Additionally you can choose via dashboard to have only BDO traffic running through it while normal or web traffic through your regular route.

Also, because of the vast .amount of servers available on Mudfish, your are able to more easily change your routing paths by connecting to the right node to take a different path (see US cable network node map)

Lastly, because they accept Google Play Credit, you can use google opinion app to gain G-Play credits which you can then redeem for vpn time, basically making it a free service for occasionally taking a 15 second google survey.

3. Khondo

I use No Ping, no issues. Not saying it is the best or worst, I have no issues. Australian based.

4. PulseQ8

I use Nord, but only to login then turn it off. If I keep it on the game is much more laggy.

5. Catastigma

watch out with none-ping related VPN.

Its can simply increase your Ping significaly. Since the additional latency caused by the encryption.

6. GamePois0n

GamePois0n PootyPoot Ranger 61 NA

it depends on what u are using a vpn for, privacy? speed? latency? or amount of locations?

7. LeCordonBleu

Mostly latency.

I did some more research and Nord doesn't seem to be a preferred option among the users that use VPN regularly. People question why Nord is always rated the best overall VPN.

Tom Spark Reviews, someone who seems heavily invested in making money through VPN related content, highly recommends TorGuard and WeVPN. The 3rd highest on his tier list is ExpressVPN, but it has a rather low score compared to the first two mentioned. TorGuard is rated by him to be the absolute best and he highly recommends it. It is also very cheap, which would have assisted TorGuard in achieving that monstrous score, because the reviewer takes pricing into consideration.

Anyways, getting TorGuard for 2 years with a readily available 50% off coupon brings it down to less than $2 a month. I'm going to give TorGuard a try to see if it's really as good as people say.

8. GamePois0n

had torguard for a couple of years, can't comment on the latency but the speed is pretty decent and their privacy is top notch, my overall experience with it wasn't bad

9. LeCordonBleu

What do you use right now?

10. GamePois0n

don't need one anymore