1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does this make any sense AT ALL????

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by SergiooLopess, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Narktember

Narktember Narktember DarkKnight 61 NA

I don't know anything about L2 but I know that lore in WoW doesn't affect your character for things other than race and class, it doesn't tell you who specifically your character was like bdo. WoW leaves room for making your character who you want them to be while bdo tells you exactly who they are.

SergiooLopess likes this.
  2. Otrsor

Otrsor Sorceress 62 EU

Whitrix likes this.
  3. Dalenos

Yeah, rangers awakening is dumb really. The archer class is just adding insult to injury basically. Ranger's awakening should have been range basically the bow and the sword would have been the standard weapon. Atcher is basically everything a Ranger should be but better. Archer class is an insult really. Just look at valkyrie and warrior they have shields but they are useless. Of course, you got the fanbois defending PA lul.

#23 Dalenos, Aug 17, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    SergiooLopess and Narktember like this.
  4. Icywave

Ranger was never truly long range, if you want that I'd go Archer. It fits that more thematically and their approach is more about that.

Rangers are typically hybrid and always sort of have been even in old books where their ideas were created. They were always known for covering land ranges to scout for enemies and uncover possible routes for exploration. Hence where name ranger comes from. In fact most original ranger concepts didn't even have a bow, they used daggers and lighter swords, agility based weapons.

But really this is all semantics and even Everquest where the original ranger concept in an MMO inspired from books wielded swords or daggers it doesn't seem to have deviated much if at all from that concept by adding the awakening. It's a hybrid of both in this game. I can see your frustration though with the drastic playstyle difference though.

However, there is a new mode coming out though that will basically overpower your core profession and remove awakening ability apparently, so you can utilize that trade off to your potential and honestly I think this will make ranger better like it was pre-awakening.

5. Rilok

Rilok Ranger NA

Guess I’ll try to explain from a Non-lore standpoint. Rangers pre-awakening can be strong and for late game pvp is typically the go to source of damage dealing; but naturally it has its weaknesses. If you can close the gap on a ranger, that’s all it takes to win due to the lack of survivability. Awakening was introduced to compensate for that lack of protection in pre-awakening. Most classes function this way - It was viewed as a way of compensating for the classes weakness to make them more dynamic. With the introduction of succession skills coming out however, it seems the devs want to bring back the old school mindset of each class having strength and weakness but this time around giving the players the option on if we want to compensate for our natural weakness or go all in - in favor of the classes strengths.

#25 Rilok, Aug 18, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  6. Otrsor

Otrsor Sorceress 62 EU

Not quite correct (most sorc dmg comes from preawak, we do get block and burst movilty that were things missing from preawak) but everything else you said hits exactly the point.

7. Rilok

Rilok Ranger NA

Oops. Thank you for the catch

8. Faythscar

Faythscar Ranger 62 EU

People see the word Ranger and all they read is ''Range'. If you actually look at what the Ranger class actually means then it makes perfect sense for our awakening to be what it is. Whether or not you like it is up to you. But yeah when you can preview your main and awakening on the character creation AND have access to trial characters this should not be such a shock.

SergiooLopess and Maginha like this.
  9. easay9

see I originally also had this issue with her but after playing archer and going back to ranger. I have found I really like what ranger has become she needs a bit of love here and there on a few skills but her overall kit and play style although not for everyone is something ranger mains have fallen in love with. My recommendation if you actually liked her pre awakening is to have someone teach you what the class has to offer before you just **** on what they have made because shes a great class.

SergiooLopess and Faythscar like this.
  10. LiquidEmotion

Yes, This is something you could have figured out long beforehand as well. I honestly didn't mind it and I loved the syle of long-range to melee. Unfortunately the way they implemented it was poor when it comes to actual practice. Pretty much what makes ranger a difficult class to use.

#30 LiquidEmotion, Aug 20, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    SergiooLopess and Rilok like this.
  11. SergiooLopess

12. SergiooLopess

Like I said I don't give a **** about the lore, I want to have the choice to choose instead to be forced to have something that I don't want.
    I'm a 35 years old I've been mmo my whole life and I NEVER saw something like that.
    **** the ****ing lore

13. easay9

Personally I feel succession is just going to introduce more balancing nightmares to all classes in the game. Like its cool on paper but this company has no idea what they are doing when it comes to balance. Like their changes are almost always made just to make people spend money on re rolls!

Sturmflut666, sunokelly and Maginha like this.
  14. Luxea

Luxea Ranger 62

He holding a stick and two balls. Don't forget. Also, Witch is currently a juggernaut when played and geared correctly. Also a stick and two balls. Totally not a trap. xD

It'll just be copycat archer so that all those who rerolled archer for the ranged awk will come back to the female class now that she is also ranged. How to sell reroll tickets 101. What have I been telling you guys since before archer came out about how he will be balanced?

nolasigns likes this.
  15. LiquidEmotion

Fast forward to today and no surprise. Some good things about it but by no means is it ready for retail. The lack of movement is seriously concerning.

Rilok and jrs1 like this.
  16. Sparzy

Ranger is my main and i use the bow 99% of the time, i chose a ranged toon cause i like ranged toons, if i wanted to play a sword fighter i would have chosen one.