1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

#dungeonswhen

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by Hammaslaakarl, Jun 25, 2020.

?

Do you want "dungeons" in BDO?

1. Yes, definitely!

48.2%
  2. Do not really care.

18.0%
  3. Nope.

33.8%
  1. Joungf

Oh man, black-white thinking ...
    1. There are many channels. You can switch with your group or alone and join random groups.
    2. A NPC could be placed inside / at the entrance of a dungeon where you can register for the queue and check how many groups are already in the queue
    3. A group does not need to wait until the whole dungeon is cleared by the current group that is inside. The group just finishes the first "stage" / "part" / "area" (call it how you like) and moves to the next, so the next group in queue can enter.
    4. At some very big areas maybe the first group will not be able to complete it alone and need to wait until second group arrives and both groups need to act as a coordinated team to manage it.

Nobody is denying that .... ;-)

If you play a mmorpg just for really high and powerful gear drop or high amount of silver as a reward ....
    If only high geared player can participate in dungeons or are accepted for teaming up .....
    ... then either you are not playing an mmorpg or you do not know what having an adventure with other player is.
    My 2 cent: I want fun, adventure, danger, team spirit, friendship, unpredictable and surprising situations.

#181 Joungf, Jun 27, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2020
    ODB3698 likes this.
  2. woots

the moment they arent dumb devs ( that part is the hardest ), and make thoses hypothetical dungeons not mandatory ( /sort of as interesting compare to your beloved hamsterwheel grind spot ), people would be able to pick what they prefer right ?
    And for the amount of ppl not willing dungeon, it would change nothing.

Like you certainly live your BDO life without [whatever] life skill, and i can imagine your BDO life isnt wasted because XXXX players use that [whatever] life skill daily while you dont.

Then how so it would be different for dungeons ?
    because you are too pavlov-ed by games running dungeons as "only and single end game content" ? in that case the issue isnt dungeons, but how the devs use them. ( so players unable to imagine there could be others way to use them )

#182 woots, Jun 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    ODB3698 and sajdas like this.
  3. Ben Phoenix

The majority want them, a good percentage don't care, which means they would be fine with them so... All you are proving is that many people are OK with dungeons. What's your point again?

The silly argument "small minority of players who post on the forum" can be used to support the opposite opinion: how do you know that the percentage of people who want dungeons wouldn't increase if any single player voted? Could happen, who knows?

#183 Ben Phoenix, Jun 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  4. Astriaj

I would hate this.

It would be the ultimate slap to PvE players wanting dungeons for PvE content to be inaccessible to us.

Public dungeons like ESO does them would be great though. Running through content and having PERSONAL loot instead of competing against other players for loot would be a great addition to BDO.

They already have the tech for personal loot and everyone getting gear (world bosses) so if this applies to public dungeons, that would be phenomenal.

sajdas likes this.
  5. Kynreaa

Kynreaa DarkKnight 62

What? If you dont like something in the game you just leave?
    You know there is no such thing as pleasing everyone right, so taking that into account the devs do get s$%t wrong, and enjoy feedback.

ODB3698, sajdas and Ben Phoenix like this.
  6. Vanraven

Sorry, no they aren't. But I'm not going to argue with you about it. You can think what you like.

7. ODB3698

I was originally in the "no dungeons" mindset about BDO...specifically because of all the former players of other MMOs trying to force class roles on this game. One reason I like this game is because there are no class roles in PvE. No one demanding you be their heal b$%&*. No one trying to tell you what to do because your group can't progress unless they tank for you. No overzealous dps wiping your group because they think they are the greatest ever and can aggro everything and get themselves killed. No long dungeon queue wait times because there are no tanks or healers online/available. I would quit BDO if that became the norm here too. All that being said, just like someone else mentioned, there have been other games with dugeons...without class roles...like GW2. I think this is a good time to introduce dungeons into BDO...highlighted by the extreme overcrowding Season servers have shown us. I think dungeons in BDO would require hard rules though. Frequency of repeat per day/week limit. Maximum party size (no platoons). Minimum participation requirements of members (no leechers hiding in corners taking advantage of party members who did not agree to carry them). Allow solo play/completion for those looking for a solo challenge. Guaranteed rewards at the end that are worth the participation effort. Entry through the party finder or Manual (party finder does a hidden gear check for minimum AP/DP appropriate for the dungeon). This is essentially what savage rift should have been..instead of that matchlock nonsense. This wouldn't take away from open world PvP because there would be a hard limit on how often a player can complete it. This wouldn't overshadow life skill or grinding rewards...again because there would be hard limit on completion frequency. It would literally be a better savage rift...with more variety because there could be variations based on the grind area it is based on. It could be an option for players that don't like normal grinding to get a little uncontested PvE in every so often. Just rework savage rift into actual dungeons and satisfy everyone.

How is that any different than a node war or a guild trip to Vell on the guild galley...regarding not being able to do it with your buddies? How is that different than doing a guild boss scroll? I definitely don't want more WoW either. I never want to play another trinity MMO. I despise trinity game play specifically because of its toxic design. Other games have done dungeons without the trinity successfully...so not the WoW model. Who says a dungeon has to require a full party? Who says it can't be soloed? I don't like puzzle dungeons, but a couple of basic mechanics would be ok...like prioritized targets and avoiding certain attacks...nothing different that open world stuff. Who is this authority that is informing us that the "game is designed as such to make it incompatible with dugeons"...when we already have gimmick dungeons like savage rift and altar of blood?

Reading this...sadly you are correct. They will undoubtedly make a mockery out of any effort they put into fulfilling such a request by extreme monetization tactics. Everything you said here was correct.

#187 ODB3698, Jun 27, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2020
    sajdas and Kynreaa like this.
  8. Kynreaa

Kynreaa DarkKnight 62

LOL, I truly wish i was far far from accurate. Sadly PA proves that true time, time and time again. Id love nothing more then for them to get it right.

ODB3698 likes this.
  9. Hondo_Lane

As long as they don't tie the top gear in the game to doing group content I got no problem with dungeons. Go do them all you want but just because you want to play group content and I dont should not give you an advantage in drops, silver , XP or SP

Fateneko, Arreyanne and ODB3698 like this.
  10. Kynreaa

Kynreaa DarkKnight 62

Nothing in this game drops anything BIS, aside from VELL. Everything is a silver chase to gamble progress, or buy someone else gambling successes. The only thing that's gonna make progression easier in this game is IRL money and more gambling attempts.
    I doubt dungeons will change that.

Fateneko and ODB3698 like this.
  11. MoonDance17

MoonDance17 Lahn 61 NA

You cannot enter them alone and accomplish what is required. You cannot go into the areas from the main game. How are they not dungeons?

ODB3698 likes this.
  12. Ben Phoenix

A dungeon in BDO doesn't have to be an instance anyway, @Joungf got some nice ideas for example.

13. MoonDance17

MoonDance17 Lahn 61 NA

I know Ben it is just that the savage rift and the altar of blood are dungeons.

ODB3698 likes this.
  14. elynia01

hopefully NEVER!
    its one BDOs upside that it doesnt have dungeons. And at release the devs already made clear there wont be any dungeon.

15. MoonDance17

MoonDance17 Lahn 61 NA

What are savage rift and altar of blood if not dungeons? They are instanced and you need a group to do them, that makes them dungeons in my mind.

ODB3698 likes this.
  16. Ben Phoenix

When did they say that? Can you link please?

ODB3698 likes this.
  17. ODB3698

Valk's cry says hello. His point is just as irrelevant now, as it would be if they did say it back then...since they clearly don't bind themselves by what they said originally

Kynreaa likes this.
  18. Ben Phoenix

They aren't traditional dungeons though.

19. Joungf

Are those well designed or bad designed dungeons?

Edit: I should ask: What a dungeon in an open world mmorpg should have. How should it be designed?
    I think collecting wishes , ideas, suggestion regarding open world dungeons would be the first step.
    If PA just add another instanced "feature" and call it dungeon, this would not help much.

Ben Phoenix likes this.
  20. Ben Phoenix

An issue is that the classes in BDO don't have a specific role but the classes that can already heal a bit, for example, could have a couple of group skills that could be used in dungeons. Same abut tank skills.

Joungf likes this.