1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

#dungeonswhen

Discussion in 'General Gameplay' started by Hammaslaakarl, Jun 25, 2020.

?

Do you want "dungeons" in BDO?

1. Yes, definitely!

48.2%
  2. Do not really care.

18.0%
  3. Nope.

33.8%
  1. ODB3698

Absolutely not lol. That would take us back to everything toxic about trinity mmo dungeons that everyone abandoned those games to get away from. Several games have shown us that you don't need trinity roles to have dungeons.

2. Ben Phoenix

I've never quit a game because of that, always had fun in dungeons.

sajdas likes this.
  3. ODB3698

I think you will definitely find yourself in the minority on that opinion in BDO then.

4. Ben Phoenix

Not sure what you mean with toxic trinity MMO dungeons to be honest. I used to join dungeons with my Guild in every MMO I played, it was fun.

Joungf likes this.
  5. Joungf

That's why I would like to see a dungeon game mechanic where each member of a group randomly gets one ore more additional abilities / skills when entering the dungeon: Healing, resurrecting, curing, repair, cook, find traps - eliminate traps - set traps, climbing, ....
    Those additional liabilities would appear as new icons in an action tab with a short explanation and also over the character so other team member can see and assist. If one team member dies his abilities will be added to some other "free" team member so the whole mission will not get stuck.

Ben Phoenix likes this.
  6. woots

you dont need specific role to have successfull ( and nice to play ) dungeons, this idea is totaly incorrect

Look at all the the SP dungeon game ( and many are rogues like )
    Look at BnS, where the base content is dungeon, class are all DPS class, just with here there a skill that can be used to help their party member, not utterly different compare to BDO when it come to that part
    GW2 have more a kind of tiny trinity with the guardian class and buff you can apply on your team member, but in the end of the day you dont need a specific party configuration to correctly roam a dungeon as all class can selfsustain. ( and the moment players are not dumb, it work very well )

In case of lack of deeper player interaction via skill or role, it need to come from the challenge you face
    Like mobs that protect other and need to be killed first, so a player can lure protected mobs while other take down the "protector".. , or just little puzzle that need a team coordination.. so like in BnS a system can be made to have players coordonate their CC, to CC a boss....etc etc there is plenty of solution to make players work together without the need of "trinity"

heck in the BDO situation i would even be down to have very basic dungeons, just with various mobs to face during the progression and a boss at the end, it would already be a nice change of pace compare to the hamsterwheel grind spot
    ( as you cant expect to much from PA.... )

Fateneko, Ben Phoenix and ODB3698 like this.
  7. Ben Phoenix

That's an idea, absolutely =)

Joungf likes this.
  8. ODB3698

I'll explain in detail then. Structure where you can't proceed to content...unless you have some specific class with you (tank or healer mainly). That leads to a power structure in your group...since they know you can't proceed without them. That leads to free reign to be assholes because you can't proceed without them. If these mandatory classes happen to be played by incompetents or under geared players...then you risk failure in anything challenging. If they have real life stuff..or just a change in priority...and bail mid way through...you are stuck trying to replace them...if that is even possible. That isn't even mentioning the possible shortage of players wanting to play a tank/healer type class. Then you have those players who do play those classes...but choose to exercise their freedom to want to play them as not tanks or not healers. This is where you get players getting pressured to play how they don't want to play. Then you have developers trying to balance around a class being able to tank or heal...as if this isn't still a grind game that requires all classes to be able to solo grind efficiently. This is just a few of the toxic examples of trinity mmo design. This is why we have such an issue getting dungeons in new games...trinity keeps rearing its insidious head. No thanks.

#208 ODB3698, Jun 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    Kynreaa and Fateneko like this.
  9. ODB3698

May as well strap a matchlock on me and send me into savage rift....

10. Ben Phoenix

Sure, it doesn't have to be necessarily with roles (I personally like roles though, that's why I talked about a couple of group and tank skills anyway). To have dungeons in BDO you don't really need to revolutionize the class concept that we already have.

woots likes this.
  11. Joungf

What are you afraid of?
    Doing something new you never done before?
    Being the one who has to sneak into the chamber of the undead skeletons and steal the artefact / key?
    Or search and eliminate traps so your team member can pass safely?
    Or stay behind in fights and heal or resurrect team member?
    Or ... ?
    Or ...?
    You don't need to buy anything.
    You can still use all your other skills.
    So what ...?

12. Ben Phoenix

Well, that wouldn't be an issue in BDO because of how the classes are designed anyway. You could simply get a couple of supporting skills that wouldn't really change the current system too much.

13. ODB3698

I'll tell you exactly what I'm afraid of...as if I haven't done exactly that in each of the posts so far in this thread. I'm afraid of being forced into a role that I don't want to play. I'm afraid of my class being gutted because I've been assigned some role I didn't agree to. I'm afraid of my ability to solo play being reduced and forced into cooperation with others against my will. I'm afraid of being pressured by others to do what they want instead of being allowed to play how I want. The rest of what you are saying is just you projecting onto me. I never said I hadn't done any of those things before. I clearly have played trinity mmo's and have done all of those things before...that's why I'm objecting to someone trying to get this game's developers to pressure me into doing them again. You have no idea how BDO will actually implement such things...so you have no guarantee on anything...so stop trying to tell me what I "will still be able to do". We have examples already of BDO's idea of dungeons...they do 100% strip some of our skills away inside these dungeons.

14. rootborn

hi!
    sry i will not sound rude but: GO BACK TO OTHER MMOs WHEN???
    really! i love the open world everyone in the same place same world sandbox concept! i want open world group content not a seperated instances. pls dont be the ppl who ruined epics "Paragon" with the "this is not like LOL... this is not how works in DOTA".... NO! this is not wow this is not i dunno what the hell mmo! this is bdo! not tab target, not dudgeons, not insta! the devs need to expand the original concept of the game! more open world content! more open world party content! not cpoying other games! if u like other gameplay mechanics and content, than go play other games. very simple solution on your problem! again.. sry if i was bit rude and for my shi3t english.. me bad london. btw! look on this @{&%!+%"+! papu content! f.hell... slow clap! well spended resorces! this is why bdo dont need the "oh so cute shai" and "we need more #othermmo content" people! wall climbing lifeskill when?

Hondo_Lane, Khondo and Joungf like this.
  15. ODB3698

I don't want my character altered just because I enter a dungeon. I don't want extra skills to manage, anymore than I want all my skills replaced with a match lock. I picked the class I play for a reason. I'm not looking for mini games. I'm looking for BDO style content, in a more structured environment...with some extra challenge...with group optional based on gear level.

Fateneko and MoonDance17 like this.
  16. Ben Phoenix

Sure, I never said it has to be like that, I simply said it could be an option and I never talked about altering a class actually. A couple of supporting skills just to use in a dungeons wouldn't alter anything really and they wouldn't be hard to get used to. Anyway, there can be many different solutions, it's just a matter of imagination and good design.

17. Joungf

Well, I respect your reasons.
    Nobody can and will force you. Stay away from dungeons. Play your solo thing.
    But you also have to respect that there are player who want lots of adventures together with other players AND are not afraid to act as e.g. an archaeologist at those points marked where their research and excavation skills are needed (just for this round of course). They can fail on first and second try. No body will laugh at them. They will get tips via chat / voice chat from other team member who done this before.
    Every additional ability will be removed after leaving the dungeon. All is fine. Everyone had fun and a good adventure and a new experience.

18. Joungf

Thumbs up!

#218 Joungf, Jun 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  19. ODB3698

You don't get to tell me what to stay away from or what to play. You're getting on my nerves trying to insinuate that I'm afraid to do stuff...because I don't want to do stuff. Get your verbiage right. Your assumptions about what game developers will and will not do are also increasingly annoying...and these things are not based on fact or even their track record.

20. zhagsten

Are they instanced though? There's only one Savage Rift per channel, like the rest of the entire world of BDO. Is it different for Altar of Blood?