1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Easy methods to avoid bots

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by phoboss, Jun 13, 2018.

1. phoboss

So, I just recently seen how the market bot works, and the code behind it should not be really difficult. It's just an infinite loop, absolute position click and OCR.

One thing it can be done to avoid them or at least to make much more complicated their work could be quite easy, it's adding RNG to the window positions and / or NPC locations:

1. If the market screen is not always the same, then the absolute cursor position will not work.
    2. Move the market NPC randomly close to it's current location, this will force the PJ to move. To make a complete fix, the market screen will be closed after random amount of time (~15 min for example)
    3. Add a simple captcha, randomly every X attempts to buy / search something. To avoid OCR recognition you can:
    3.1. add simple questions with random choices, always changing the answers order to avoid pattern recognition
    3.2. Add a numeric sequence that should be clicked with a random pad number position and without keyboard

I think those suggestions can cause some issues to some players, but i think is worth the price for honest players who do not bot.

I don't know if some of them were already suggested, I didn't read the suggestions :D

What do you think?

2. Mimimimi

sounds annoying

2 years ago the market had captchas. way too easy to automate.

sounds annoying. incredibly easy to automate.

incredibly easy to automate and annoying to all legit players.

no, it's not worth it. the more sophisticated bots circumvent all these things by injecting lua code anyways. the only people you would annoy with that is macro users.

3. phoboss

Thanks for your comment, I agree it's not the best solutions and won't erase bots definitely. Those ideas came to my mind when I saw a video of a botting software of market, which as you said, it looks like a "sophisticated" macro bot.

On the other hand, how would you automate the random questions captcha? There are some questions which can't be answered by a bot unless they have a database of questions (which, at least, it will take some time until they have a complete database)

What do you think about random moving the market NPC?

I don't know about LUA, but injecting code into a program should be easy to protect against it

4. Mimimimi

i would do exactly what you said and collect the questions. if the questions would be complex and numerous enough to fool a bot, they will certainly pose difficulties to players too. if there is just a handful of questions it is easy to collect and automate them.

i think that's just as inefficient. for a pixelbot that might be a little annyoing. but you can just place the char at the market and let him bid on your stuff 24/7. you could also use a marketmaid and use that from everywhere. besides that, more intrusive cheats can just teleport the player.

*should* i have never attempted doing it myself because i like the game and i dont wanna jeopardize my account, but from all i have read on other forums that's perfectly possible. i'm sure they have a ton of detection methods for lua injection in place by now (well, i hope so). sadly, there is countless ways to execute such an attack too.

personally i think we don't have to panic